Joe Douglas moving heaven and earth to draft Malachi Corley

Matt39

14 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Steve Smith loved him (for whatever that's worth), and he's had some good calls over the years. Corley averaged 12.7 yards per catch on 180+ over the last two years of college. That isn’t so bad bad, especially for a volume receiver catching passes behind the line of scrimmage. He led the nation in screen yards and had 2,200+yards with 22 touchdowns during that two year span. 

He may end up stinking -- but his college production suggests he was worth a flyer. 

You don't move heaven and earth draft wise to take a flyer.  JD should have kept Codington and cut/ps Gipson.  Snaps problem solved.  Gipson is a jag.  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Trading a 5th rounder is moving heaven and earth?

It was a free pick (the lower of the two day-3 picks they got for trading down from 10 to 11 and drafting the same player they'd have taken at 10). 

It's right to be at a minimum discouraged that Corley can't get on the field & leapfrog Gipson who was on the field more as an undrafted rookie last year than Corley is as a day 2 pick they had graded as the ~40th best prospect in the draft (almost another full round earlier than they took him).

We'll see what he becomes. No doubt it isn't looking good, but it's been a month. 

He was trying to move up way before he finally did so IMHO move heaven and earth does apply.

19 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

He was trying to move up way before he finally did so IMHO move heaven and earth does apply.

Meh I disagree.

He looked into moving up, and it seems he wouldn't pay what teams were asking for them to move down to #72, until he was able to move up enough for just a 5th rounder. My guess is what he was dangling to move up even to ~#50 were the two picks (4th and 5th rounders) that he just got for free the day before for moving down 1 slot in round 1. 

In any event:

Inquiring about moving up ≠ moving up

Talking to a hitman ≠ hiring a hitman

Also so for this kid blows if he can't leapfrog an undrafted 2nd year kick returner. Hopefully that changes.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh I disagree.

He looked into moving up, and it seems he wouldn't pay what teams were asking for them to move down to #72, until he was able to move up enough for just a 5th rounder. My guess is what he was dangling to move up even to ~#50 were the two picks (4th and 5th rounders) that he just got for free the day before for moving down 1 slot in round 1. 

In any event:

Inquiring about moving up ≠ moving up

Talking to a hitman ≠ hiring a hitman

Also so for this kid blows if he can't leapfrog an undrafted 2nd year kick returner. Hopefully that changes.

Sorry but talking to a hitman is pretty damning.  I see that you are getting at but example is terrible :) .

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I almost never say this about draft picks until at least year 2 but I don't think this guy is ever going to do anything in the NFL. At most he'll be a special teams guy who gets a gadget play a few times a season. He just never looked like an NFL wr to me.

Would love to be wrong and preferably mocked for this take but I don't see it.

If we didn’t give up picks for a 40year old media wh0r3, maybe betting on a 3rd rounder to be an immediate impact player wouldn’t be in play.  
Should have hired an NFL OC and signed Derek Carr.

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

If we didn’t give up picks for a 40year media wh0r3, maybe betting on a 3rd rounder to be an immediate impact player wouldn’t be in play.  
Should have hired an NFL OC and signed Derek Carr.

It all starts from the top with Woody, Douglas and Saleh.

Woodrow is focused on winning the back pages and media coverage, good or bad, which drives engagement on "X", NFLN, and "clicks" or whatever and by extension, the team's valuation.

I think Saleh was hired because looked the part of the "anti-Gase", aka a credible leader.

It matters little that he's created a "culture" of Club Med PVO that isn't serious about winning.

Leaders don't need to be loved or even liked, but, to some degree, they need to be feared and respected.

Nobody fears Bobby, and I'm not sure, when push comes to shove, the players actually respect him either.

• Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Claymation said:

You would have thought after last year’s Will McGriddle is a bust battle cry, JetNation would take a wait and see approach when evaluating a prospect. But alas that is not the case. Then again this forum struggles with people ages.

You know how it goes...

"ChatGPT, please give me a new argument for why the Jets are terrible and Joe Douglas should be fired".

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It all starts from the top with Woody, Douglas and Saleh.

Woodrow is focused on winning the back pages and media coverage, good or bad, which drives engagement on "X", NFLN, and "clicks" or whatever and by extension, the team's valuation.

I think Saleh was hired because looked the part of the "anti-Gase", aka a credible leader.

It matters little that he's created a "culture" of Club Med PVO that isn't serious about winning.

Leaders don't need to be loved or even liked, but, to some degree, they need to be feared and respected.

Nobody fears Bobby, and I'm not sure, when push comes to shove, the players actually respect him either.

Saleh is an interesting case. His mannerisms and results in SF made him a top prospect. I wanted the guy and clearly remember the posts on this forum where most did also. When it was reported he was going to philly after leaving the Jets complex guys on here were going crazy.

The reason I say he is interesting is I can't think of another coach who is 1000% different since becoming a head coach. Sure there are guys who fail because they are excellent coordinators but simply HC is too big for them. That certainly appears to be Saleh but the whole we will lift you up, PVO, receipts and on and on I never remotely thought he was that guy.

Can't say I followed him at SF nor did I ever hear a press conference but what we thought we were getting vs what he started spewing is night and day

Even now he will talk about loving players, getting sleep, nutrition etc  and in the same sentence how they are going to play with violence and aggression.

Hard to figure the guy out

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Sorry but talking to a hitman is pretty damning.  I see that you are getting at but example is terrible :) .

Talking to a hitman to see what the price would be, and ultimately declining to retain him because it's too expensive isn't the same as hiring a much lower-priced hitman.

He was shopping the idea of moving up, using the "free" picks he just got the prior day. In the end he gave up one of those picks, and the lower one at that. The highest picks involved in the entire ordeal were: their original 3rd round pick #72 and the 3rd round pick #65 to which they moved up from #72.

There were no known picks above day 3 involved in any move-up inquiries, so in no circumstance was that moving heaven and earth.

What's damning is the poor judgment - if he turns out to be another bust - not that they moved up 7 slots to get him and asked about moving up 20 slots if it was cheap, but scoffed at the amount other teams wanted.

Asking = due diligence. Asking ≠ doing. 

Reddick asked for a pay raise and multiple years guaranteed. Asking without an agreement from the other side is ultimately worth little more than used toilet paper. 

42 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Saleh is an interesting case. His mannerisms and results in SF made him a top prospect. I wanted the guy and clearly remember the posts on this forum where most did also. When it was reported he was going to philly after leaving the Jets complex guys on here were going crazy.

The reason I say he is interesting is I can't think of another coach who is 1000% different since becoming a head coach. Sure there are guys who fail because they are excellent coordinators but simply HC is too big for them. That certainly appears to be Saleh but the whole we will lift you up, PVO, receipts and on and on I never remotely thought he was that guy.

Can't say I followed him at SF nor did I ever hear a press conference but what we thought we were getting vs what he started spewing is night and day

Even now he will talk about loving players, getting sleep, nutrition etc  and in the same sentence how they are going to play with violence and aggression.

Hard to figure the guy out

You’re right about him never saying anything more than surface level about football. It’s strange. Douglas too. Maccagnan same thing. Hard Knocks was bizarre. Saleh saying he had to take a global approach to coaching like is he reading off of a McKinsey slide deck

• Haha 1

They don’t use the talent on offense correctly, we saw that vs denver.  They stubbornly run breece at the goal line when they have a bruiser who gets yards after contact.  Their wrs are actually fine with Williams looking good as well as Lazard.  They should be throwing to hall way more than they are b/c he’s more effective as a receiver.  Corley could contribute here now imo but seeing how they don’t seem to have a way to use hall and wilson now why would anyone think these coaches could scheme to get Corley involved?

Stop.

Greece at the goal line worked against SF. It wasn’t a bad call or not nearly as bad as everyone wants to make it.

You have top players you put the ball in their hands and give them a shot. If they miss those shots you start looking elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, funaz said:

Stop.

Greece at the goal line worked against SF. It wasn’t a bad call or not nearly as bad as everyone wants to make it.

You have top players you put the ball in their hands and give them a shot. If they miss those shots you start looking elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

How about the pass play to Solomon Thomas at the goal line. Were they trying to juice his Walter Payton award accolades?

The Jets do a lot of peculiar stuff. Like purposely wanting the Mr Irrelevant pick. You wonder what the actual goals upstairs are sometimes.

• Upvote 1

It's so funny to me that people just ignore the painfully obvious. Hackett is a bad OC and the offensive play calls are horrendous. Corley is just one of many self inflicted wounds.

Corley like all other weapons are with not used or used poorly. That's it.

Hack sucks.

Saleh sucks for letting it happen.

Joe fixes the roster and gives up option and we have such bad. Coaching that we can't even do the most basic of offensive concepts

On 10/4/2024 at 11:31 AM, Integrity28 said:

I mean, if he cannot run routes what are we even doing? Give him punts and a few jets sweeps or screen passes. Like manufacture opportunities the way a real offense might.

Feels like there’s been twenty of these bigger Aiyuk-types overdrafted the last three years that end up in the same place—unable to get on the field because the physical advantages they had in college are gone at the pro level, and OCs can’t be bothered to create special packages for them. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2024 at 9:31 AM, Integrity28 said:

I mean, if he cannot run routes what are we even doing? Give him punts and a few jets sweeps or screen passes. Like manufacture opportunities the way a real offense might.

Crypto Cryptocurrency GIF by Binance

On 10/4/2024 at 2:39 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I've never seen a regime whose words and actions are so divergent.

Now, for sure, you want your GM to lie.  A lot.  But some of the stuff they say and then do are so mindbogglingly stupid it defies logic.

We have always been at war with Eurasia

On 10/4/2024 at 3:56 AM, Jack Straw said:

Steve Smith loved him (for whatever that's worth), and he's had some good calls over the years. Corley averaged 12.7 yards per catch on 180+ over the last two years of college. That isn’t so bad bad, especially for a volume receiver catching passes behind the line of scrimmage. He led the nation in screen yards and had 2,200+yards with 22 touchdowns during that two year span. 

He may end up stinking -- but his college production suggests he was worth a flyer. 

A 3rd round pick is not “a flier.”

On 10/4/2024 at 5:02 AM, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Saleh is a bullsh*t artist "head coach" so he collects other bullsh*t artist coaches, such as Hackett and Carter.

A leaders hire A talent. B leaders hire C talent.

On 10/4/2024 at 6:15 AM, JKlecko said:

That's why Rodgers needs to get over himself.  He's screwing Wilson up and probably keeping Corley off the field with all his demands for how the WRs react and where he wants them to be rather than listening to them.

Being where their QB wants them to be is like 99% of what playing WR in the NFL is all about.

• Upvote 2

"60 percent of dudes drafted in the first round busted out with their original team. Sixty percent!"

1st round must be flyers too

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The average career length of a 1st rounder is 8 years vs three years for third rounders.

The draft is a crapshoot - they’re all flyers with varying degrees of risk.

11 hours ago, jgb said:

We have always been at war with Eurasia

A 3rd round pick is not “a flier.”

A leaders hire A talent. B leaders hire C talent.

Being where their QB wants them to be is like 99% of what playing WR in the NFL is all about.

Would it surprise you if Douglas draft prep is pulling up Walter football dot com the morning of? And then he’s gotta listen to Brick Johnson anyways.

• Haha 1