The Jets should trade Sauce Gardner

He either took himself out again today or was benched. The Jets did not have him covering Jefferson. I don’t know how much you’re getting back for him. Woody was involved in this pick and sees Sauce as a marketing chip so that factors in as well, but if he’s going to be allergic to turnovers that star might fizzle even more.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

First, I think Sauce is a great corner and a good dude, but I also think the Jets have to think about a future wherein they don’t make the playoffs with Rodgers and he bails. I do not want to pay Sauce and Garrett and Breece and Jermaine Johnson and, of those, Sauce is the most expendable. 

The going rate for a CB is currently around $25 mil per and a CB is only worth that if they’re truly lockdown in man to man *or* they produce a bunch of turnovers in zone. Sauce, in this defense, does neither. Brandin Echols and DJ Reed have both outplayed him this year. Sauce is expendable and soon to be expensive.

The Bengals need CB help in the worst way and they’re also 1-4. Maybe a Sauce for Tee Higgins trade makes sense? Maybe Sauce to the Raiders for Davante and picks? There’ll be a market for him, regardless. 

Sauce for Tee Higgins makes no sense. Sauce for anything less than a first makes no sense. Paying Sauce is probably not best case scenario especially with this scheme. I also love the idea of trading assets to get more draft assets and try to out talent teams Madden 2005 style. 

But honestly Johnson won’t break the bank, Hall is likely a goner because someone will overpay, Wilson will fall into a reasonable contract. There will be room for Sauce within the cap and he’ll be important if we switch HC after this season.  The place where there is inefficient asset management is the possibility of losing Echols and Reed for no return. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He either took himself out again today or was benched. The Jets did not have him covering Jefferson. I don’t know how much you’re getting back for him. Woody was involved in this pick and sees Sauce as a marketing chip so that factors in as well, but if he’s going to be allergic to turnovers that star might fizzle even more.

There was a play today that finally convinced me it’s time for him to go. The Vikings ran a toss to the right and got a pretty good gain off if it that was called back for holding (iirc). Sauce had come up to fill, saw the fullback getting ready to block him, and Sauce kinda threw his hands up and turned to the inside like the fullback was pointing a gun at him. Not since the days of Erik McMillian have I seen such weakness. That cannot play well when they go over the tape on Tuesday. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There was a play today that finally convinced me it’s time for him to go. The Vikings ran a toss to the right and got a pretty good gain off if it that was called back for holding (iirc). Sauce had come up to fill, saw the fullback getting ready to block him, and Sauce kinda threw his hands up and turned to the inside like the fullback was pointing a gun at him. Not since the days of Erik McMillian have I seen such weakness. That cannot play well when they go over the tape on Tuesday. 

I honestly don’t get how people can watch him and come away thinking he’s anything but a liability. His mechanics are brutal. He’s built like a palm tree. He’s getting called for penalties now. Zero awareness ( doesn’t seem to be a film grinder). I don’t get it. He was the 4th overall pick and you’re getting nothing. He’s progressively getting worse from a promising rookie year. 

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Sauce for Tee Higgins makes no sense. Sauce for anything less than a first makes no sense. Paying Sauce is probably not best case scenario especially with this scheme. I also love the idea of trading assets to get more draft assets and try to out talent teams Madden 2005 style. 

But honestly Johnson won’t break the bank, Hall is likely a goner because someone will overpay, Wilson will fall into a reasonable contract. There will be room for Sauce within the cap and he’ll be important if we switch HC after this season.  The place where there is inefficient asset management is the possibility of losing Echols and Reed for no return. 

I get that you don’t want to do the Family Guy meme where you pass on the boat because the mystery prize could be a boat, but I think Sauce is as valuable as he’s gonna get right now and the Jets have a capable fill-in on the roster and could supplement their current a future rosters with a different player, particularly on offense. 

• Upvote 3

He’s certainly not elite. Our young 4 stars have been awful.

1. JJ out for the year.

2. Sauce not at all a sh*t down top CB.

3. Wilson is mediocre and can’t get on the same page as 25 WRs have done with Rodgers in his career.

4. Hall. Has been garbage.

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I get that you don’t want to do the Family Guy meme where you pass on the boat because the mystery prize could be a boat, but I think Sauce is as valuable as he’s gonna get right now and the Jets have a capable fill-in on the roster and could supplement their current a future rosters with a different player, particularly on offense. 

The thing is I’m dead serious about trading player for picks and building a team of insanely talented young dudes. Turning Sauce and Garrett into a younger Sauce and Garrett plus a young Quinnen and Brick sounds great to me. It’s what I would do if I was GM. Unfortunately, in the real world where jobs are on the line it’s worth seeing what the next HC wants to run. Sauce could be a real asset to that coach.

If we stick with Saleh after this year  because Rodgers and the defense drag this team to the playoffs then 100% trade Sauce and bring back the cheaper CBs. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I dont believe AVT has even been mentioned yet either.  Are we paying him $11-15 mil a year to keep him ?  Or is he the next player out the door?  missed basically 2 of his 4 seasons and we gave up a lot of draft capital to pick him.  

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mo Lewis said that was the correct way to defend that  LOL 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jetpain said:

I dont believe AVT has even been mentioned yet either.  Are we paying him $11-15 mil a year to keep him ?  Or is he the next player out the door?  missed basically 2 of his 4 seasons and we gave up a lot of draft capital to pick him.  

He’s a plus starter at a valuable position. His contract might not be a backbreaker. The key is gonna be using his 5th year option as a platform for a longer extension that basically puts him in the top 20 of OG contracts but provides long term relief.

Or trade him and a third round for a second rounder and a 5th.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He was taken out by his own man on a long pass play in the first half, I think Chuck Clark may have collided with him,Sauce stayed down for treatment and they took him straight to the evaluation tent, it flashed up later on the big screen he was questionable to return with a head injury but he came back out in the 2nd half, Brandon Echols covered for him while he was out, I also noticed MC2 missing in the 2nd half 

2 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

He was taken out by his own man on a long pass play in the first half, I think Chuck Clark may have collided with him,Sauce stayed down for treatment and they took him straight to the evaluation tent, it flashed up later on the big screen he was questionable to return with a head injury but he came back out in the 2nd half, Brandon Echols covered for him while he was out, I also noticed MC2 missing in the 2nd half 

I saw the play. He ran into Clark. It wasn’t a big hit. He was on the sideline after being evaluated for a while. He had his helmet on. The defense looked better when he was out too.

2 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

MC2 pulled himself or was benched because he hurt his hammy before the game. It’s not possible that there was just an injury. That would be unreasonable. 

First, I think Sauce is a great corner and a good dude, but I also think the Jets have to think about a future wherein they don’t make the playoffs with Rodgers and he bails. I do not want to pay Sauce and Garrett and Breece and Jermaine Johnson and, of those, Sauce is the most expendable. 

The going rate for a CB is currently around $25 mil per and a CB is only worth that if they’re truly lockdown in man to man *or* they produce a bunch of turnovers in zone. Sauce, in this defense, does neither. Brandin Echols and DJ Reed have both outplayed him this year. Sauce is expendable and soon to be expensive.
The Bengals need CB help in the worst way and they’re also 1-4. Maybe a Sauce for Tee Higgins trade makes sense? Maybe Sauce to the Raiders for Davante and picks? There’ll be a market for him, regardless. 

this is one of the worst takes I’ve seen on here. Put this on Facebook where it belongs.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I saw the play. He ran into Clark. It wasn’t a big hit. He was on the sideline after being evaluated for a while. He had his helmet on. The defense looked better when he was out too.

He ran into Quincy and it immediately took him out. He went to concussion protocol.

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, what have you been drinking?

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s easy to say it wasn’t a big hit watching from your sofa, I can tell you he didn’t want to go into the tent and wanted to go back out but the medical staff insisted he go in. Echols did well in his place 

What is his value?  It diminished because you have to pay him so much.  Im not sure how much intrest there is in a good corner who is going to command great money and draft capital.

He is a two time first team All Pro. What are we doing here?

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or two first like Jamal, 

• Upvote 1