Robert Saleh: "AR8 is obviously up and down"

I don’t think you can determine he’s “washed” based on this one game.

He’s a 40 yo QB who took an absolute beating 8 days ago against Denver and then had to travel across an ocean.

He’s also 1y removed from a torn Achilles.

I doubt he practiced at all during the week.

Saleh doesn’t believe in practices as much as he believes in “vet days”, and the practices are probably low intensity anyway, not exactly simulating what guys will have to deal with on gameday.

Aaron was clearly not sharp in the first half, confused and frustrated by Flores’ pressures and disguises and coverages.

But he settled down a bit by the end of the first half.

He never got to practice with big Mike all summer, and even in games MW’s snap counts have been limited until yesterday.

Unfortunately it is what it is.

37 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

You are acting like there are no non-mobile QBs in the league.  Stafford, Goff, Cousins, Flacco, Dalton to name a few.  Rodgers is still more mobile than most of them, yet they don't have much of a problem.  Probably because they're not getting pressured 20+ times a game.  The line is awful.  They are fine players being coached wrong and assigned blocks wrong, while running bad plays.

Rodgers played terribly, yet was still the only reason they almost came back.  No running game, no pass blocking, no screens, no YAC, dropped passes.  If he's gonna play any better, which he has shown he can very much do, then every other player on offense can't play like ass too.

None of those QB's have contimplated retiring.  They are actually still mentally in the game.  Rodgers is processing slowly.  He's washed.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

In time.  I, unlike you, have not already assumed the fetal position and start threads for every sentence uttered in a press conference. 

OK, cool. So lay out your case. No slogans, false bravado, or nonsense. Tell us WHY we are wrong and what Saleh will do to right the ship. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

The cowardice exhibited on this board the last 24 hours is shameful. 

I respect a Captain going down with the ship.  You still have a responsability to get the women and children safely on the life boats.  

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

OK, cool. So lay out your case. No slogans, false bravado, or nonsense. Tell us WHY we are wrong and what Saleh will do to right the ship. 

I'm typing on a phone during micro breaks at work.  I ain't doing all that. 

But you are wrong and the ship will be righted. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I don’t think you can determine he’s “washed” based on this one game.

He’s a 40 yo QB who took an absolute beating 8 days ago against Denver and then had to travel across an ocean.

He’s also 1y removed from a torn Achilles.

I doubt he practiced at all during the week.

Saleh doesn’t believe in practices as much as he believes in “vet days”, and the practices are probably low intensity anyway, not exactly simulating what guys will have to deal with on gameday.

Aaron was clearly not sharp in the first half, confused and frustrated by Flores’ pressures and disguises and coverages.

But he settled down a bit by the end of the first half.

He never got to practice with big Mike all summer, and even in games MW’s snap counts have been limited until yesterday.

Unfortunately it is what it is.

He’s old and breaking down. A lot of us saw this coming, some still choose not to. We all know how this will play out… after every win we’re going to read the same crap we did when Zach or Sam won one… “See? He’s not the problem!”

Rebuttal? He’s the QB we sold our souls for, and yes… he’s the problem right now.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

He’s old and breaking down. A lot of us saw this coming, some still chose not to. We all know how this will play out… after every win we’re going to read the same crap we did when Zach or Sam won one… “See? He’s not the problem!”

Rebuttal? He’s the QB we sold our souls for, and yes… he’s the problem right now.

The gm missed on ZW and they believed they had a playoff roster except for the qb, so getting rodgers bought the gm and hc more time.  That was it.  They all knew if the rodgers experiment failed they’re gone.  Yet they’re very lucky to have the bills lose twice and now the bills are in a must win game as well.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If they lose to the Bills he has nothing to lose.  

True, so he will have nothing to lose then.  Buff's coaching staff dwarfs the Jet garbage, just like Minnesota's did (they could still win with Darnold having his worst game of the season).

If Allen doesn't give the game away by throwing picks this is another L...and Panic Time.

But I still don't see Saleh doing anything bold.

Hope I'm wrong.

Three bad and costly INTs.  The Pick-6 is tough, great play by the defender.  The deep overthrow was a really bad pass and looked like AR forced it which isn't something you see him do unless it's late in the game.

On the plus side, he probably threw three or four of best passes I've seen a QB throw....and all were incomplete.  The throw slightly behind and low to Lazard that was dropped in the endzone was a tough catch but man, there is only one place in the world that ball had a chance of being caught and that's where AR threw it.  There were others as well, mostly dropped and tough catches to make like the seam throw to Conklin in the endzone while he had two defenders draped on him.  Hit Conklin in the hands, only place that ball had a chance of being caught.

Not a great game by AR.  He's not 2015 Aaron Rodgers for sure and was a bit hampered by the ankle I'm guessing.  But the Jets D only gave up 16 points.  The offense gave up 7 on the Pick-6 and it's clearly the O that was responsible for the loss.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The gm missed on ZW and they believed they had a playoff roster except for the qb, so getting rodgers bought the gm and hc more time.  That was it.  They all knew if the rodgers experiment failed they’re gone.  Yet they’re very lucky to have the bills lose twice and now the bills are in a must win game as well.  

The Bills will win 10 games this year. They’re winning the AFCE no matter what happens Monday night.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFtheOracle said:

This is about to get ugly.  Rodgers absolutely sucks ball sack, Saleh knows it and they're absolutely stuck w/ the bed they've made and nowhere to turn.  

They deserve everything that will come to them. I hate this regime. Never seen so many assets wasted and forgiven because they hit on about 4 players in several years “building”.

The mere fact that this OL has had to be rebuilt 3 separate times and still sucks is shameful.

The reality that we drafted a QB and moved heaven and earth for another, and neither is worth spit is a disgrace.

The arrogance to draft for depth in a win-now window the past 2 years is a debacle.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Mike Tomlin is finding success with Justin Fields and literally no great weapons on offense.

This staff needs to be gutted.

The staff should be gone b/c they can’t figure out how to run the ball.  How many more people do they need to bring in to fix the offense?  Lazard, williams, Conklin, 3 guys on the line.  2 rbs who seem to be competent.  The offense scoring all of 14 points in the first quarters of 5 games is a damning stat.  The team always starts slow.  There were many games in recent years where the defense gave up a long drive td to start the game.  Now the offense is all but guaranteed 3 and outs in 1st quarter possessions.  The bills game feels like their last stand.  If they can muster a win and get to 3-3 with a 2-0 divisional record maybe there’s hope.  If they lose for whatever reason i think we’re going to start reading whispers of Rodgers retiring and then the coaches have nowhere else to hide.  Rodgers leaves, the coaches get gutted, tyrod leaves and the team now will need a new gm/hc/qb.  The only thing that changes is that i get older. 

8 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

True, so he will have nothing to lose then.  Buff's coaching staff dwarfs the Jet garbage, just like Minnesota's did (they could still win with Darnold having his worst game of the season).

If Allen doesn't give the game away by throwing picks this is another L...and Panic Time.

But I still don't see Saleh doing anything bold.

Hope I'm wrong.

Did you see how the BIlls managed their last series in Houston?  This is a very even matchup at the HC level.  

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He threw three picks including a pick six that essentially lost us the game. I think it's fair to say he's been up and down this year.

Yes, but the underlying problem is that the jets offense was supposed to be a balanced attack with a strong running game to support an old but savvy qb.  Instead, the offense is entirely dependent on rodgers being the vintage HOF qb as the team is wholly one dimensional and the line is spotty.  The offense has played well in 1 game out of 5.  Despite all their additions the jets are dead last in rushing yards per game.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Yes, but the underlying problem is that the jets offense was supposed to be a balanced attack with a strong running game to support an old but savvy qb.  Instead, the offense is entirely dependent on rodgers being the vintage HOF qb as the team is wholly one dimensional and the line is spotty.  The offense has played well in 1 game out of 5.  Despite all their additions the jets are dead last in rushing yards per game.  

Sure, but when you throw three picks (including a pick six) in a 6 point loss it's fair to say you shoulder a lot of the blame for the loss.

Reality is offensive coaching is in the single biggest issue with this team (in my humble opinion -- and in the opinion of our players who literally call it out in the media) but that doesn't absolve players of poor performance either, especially when this OC is Rodger's hand picked guy.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Sure, but when you throw three picks (including a pick six) in a 6 point loss it's fair to say you shoulder a lot of the blame for the loss.

Reality is offensive coaching is in the single biggest issue with this team (in my humble opinion -- and in the opinion of our players who literally call it out in the media) but that doesn't absolve players of poor performance either, especially when this OC is Rodger's hand picked guy.

Not absolving rodgers.  But the whole idea of getting him was so that he wasn’t bailing out the offense b/c they can’t run the ball.  When you put a 40 yr old qb in that position you’re going to get those picks.  The offense is failing and rodgers can’t fix it.  He would be more effective if defenses had to be concerned about the running game. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Not absolving rodgers.  But the whole idea of getting him was so that he wasn’t bailing out the offense b/c they can’t run the ball.  When you put a 40 yr old qb in that position you’re going to get those picks.  The offense is failing and rodgers can’t fix it.  He would be more effective if defenses had to be concerned about the running game. 

I'd argue that a major factor in being unable to run the ball is that they're running this offense that Rodgers wants to run.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Saleh thought rodgers would come in and fix the offense, and now that he’s realizing what they traded for, and that they need more than simply his old HOF self, he’s again out of answers.  And this is a problem when your head coach knows nothing about the offense and relies on a stream of others to fix it

It seems to me, Saleh has outsourced all responsibility to Rodgers, which is going oh so well!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

They deserve everything that will come to them. I hate this regime. Never seen so many assets wasted and forgiven because they hit on about 4 players in several years “building”.

The mere fact that this OL has had to be rebuilt 3 separate times and still sucks is shameful.

The reality that we drafted a QB and moved heaven and earth for another, and neither is worth spit is a disgrace.

The arrogance to draft for depth in a win-now window the past 2 years is a debacle.

Agreed, they threw their hands up and gave up on last season because Rodgers got hurt and now, they've thrown their hands up and have given up on this season because Rodgers sucks. 

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Rodgers was supposed to be a complementary piece who would run an efficient, balanced offense. 

I think we’re seeing this is how the Jets tried to sell it to him, and early in the games we’re seeing this script play out, Rodgers go along with it, and the offense go no where.

They have no idea how to run the ball, this like you said, then Rodgers trying to take over.

It’s a total systematic failure and I’m not giving Rodgers the benefit of the doubt either, just that he’s trying to over compensate for so much more than he is capable at this point in his career.

I think this is typical and I expected it.  The pick 6 was bad, but I don't know that Rodgers is "washed."  He had a bad game, but the receivers left plenty on the field.  He is making back shoulder throws and not getting PI calls which is mind boggling in a game called that tight.  The run game has been pitiful, but Breece has been kind of streaky all along and is more of a couple of 1 yard gains and a long one kind of runner.  

Basically, much will depend on how good the Vikings are.  They play a bunch of tomato cans coming up, so I'm not sure we will really learn anything and I think the Jets tend to beat teams up so they stumble after we play them.  Knocking Aaron Jones out was a huge blow.  Rodgers wasn't great, but he also wasn't playing the worst D in the NFL like Flacco and in a game that is played closer to the vest he isn't going to be winging it all over.  

I'm not sure what to make of the Bills and the Steelers will probably be another fairly tough match up for the O, but I think after that they will go ape in the 4 games before the bye.  We will either be happy or whining about giving these games away, but I think the Rodgers is washed talk will fade.  Only real fear is the short rest Thursday game against the Texans, but I think they are a paper tiger.  After the bye our schedule is pretty soft. 

People want to fire our whole staff and watch the Ravens/Bengals and think why not us?  Well, I don't see those teams putting 35 up on this team either.  The games would not be similar.  I am not a big Saleh fan, but I also do not think that he is as bad as people around here act.  Or maybe I just think that all the "good" coaches make a ton of mistakes too.