The Jets barely held a training camp and skipped preseason- should we be surprised the season is a disaster?

Matt39

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Salehs approach from his first year was eye brow raising, but headed into a must win season- essentially skipping camp and preseason all together was never not going to be a disaster over at least the first two months.

Practices ranged from 90-100 minutes

there were veterans rest days all over 

Rodgers had no more than 12-15 total practices and missed one of the scrimmages because it was raining. He hadn’t played a live snap since September 2023

Tyron Smith barely practiced

No starters played a down in preseason games

Guys who are clearly out of shape 

limited contact in padded practices

I think the offense eventually clicks and the Jets put some points on the board and remain competitive, but they’re catching up from essentially not having an offseason. But the overall approach from Saleh was almost intentional sabotage. You can’t cut corners with football. The Ravens are playing a different sport because they have a serious coach. 

wait, wasn't this said to be the toughest training camp so far by some of the players?  but what else should be expected of a coach who continued to play tomlinson when the guy did matador run and pass blocking.

6 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I kind of knew the beating he might take so I was extending an olive branch

keeping pvo alive

I could be wrong but I think the penalties, poor tackling, drops, wrong routes, concentration lapses could stem from lack of real practice time. What else would it be stemming from?

What i continually find hilarious about the working class hero bullsh*t is how many hours a day we all steal from our employers checking fantasy football, posting, surfing the internet and arguing with strangers lolololol

NFL players lift weights, do cardio, then they go to meetings, then practice. 

typical poster stealing from his boss on a Tuesday;

IMG_1205.jpeg.7c1e73b251545c2714db2bc447e1821c.jpeg

“Do they even lift bro ?”

• Upvote 1

Lamar Jackson did not play in any preseason games for the Baltimore Ravens in 2024. This was similar to 2021, when Jackson also missed the preseason. 

The Ravens prioritize keeping Jackson and other starters healthy, and believe that practicing is more important than playing in preseason games.

Jackson said he understands the coaches' decision to keep him off the field, and would rather play in the regular season than risk injury. He also said he expects to be sharp for the regular season opener

fire harbaugh?

lmfao

• Upvote 1

You've been posting this in every thread since the off-season. 

It's not about how much they practice but what they're being taught. What's preached over and over as important? What details are they going over, not going over? What are they being taught that other teams aren't? How are they being disciplined? 

They're not failing because they didn't play in the preseason. Lamar Jackson didn't play one snap. He's doing fine. 

IMO this is just Aaron Rodgers not being himself. Extremely skittish coming back from injury and not confident with his throws when pressure is around him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Salehs approach from his first year was eye brow raising, but headed into a must win season- essentially skipping camp and preseason all together was never not going to be a disaster over at least the first two months.

Rodgers had no more than 12-15 total practices and missed one of the scrimmages because it was raining. He hadn’t played a live snap since September 2023

I think the offense eventually clicks and the Jets put some points on the board and remain competitive, but they’re catching up from essentially not having an offseason. But the overall approach from Saleh was almost intentional sabotage. You can’t cut corners with football. The Ravens are playing a different sport because they have a serious coach. 

Its week 7. This conversation is pointless.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

What i continually find hilarious about the working class hero bullsh*t is how many hours a day we all steal from our employers checking fantasy football, posting, surfing the internet and arguing with strangers lolololol

I am a consultant, my own boss and work from my home office... 

Job Hiring GIF

LOL

5 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

You've been posting this in every thread since the off-season. 

It's not about how much they practice but what they're being taught. What's preached over and over as important? What details are they going over, not going over? What are they being taught that other teams aren't? How are they being disciplined? 

They're not failing because they didn't play in the preseason. Lamar Jackson didn't play one snap. He's doing fine. 

IMO this is just Aaron Rodgers not being himself. Extremely skittish coming back from injury and not confident with his throws when pressure is around him. 

Your second paragraph was addressed in the initial post. 

21 minutes ago, Larz said:

If your response to us discussing a football team is to wander into what we do in our personal lives as some kind of dunk or potshot then you need therapy 

• Upvote 1
  • En Fuego 2

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I could be wrong but I think the penalties, poor tackling, drops, wrong routes, concentration lapses could stem from lack of real practice time. What else would it be stemming from?

I honestly see both sides of it.

it seems many teams had a similar approach as the jets

others did plsy starters some

what the records are I do not know but certainly the first couple of games for the jets they were not prepared 

right or wrong but I still go with coaching and not just the head coach and players simply not as good as advertised 

1 hour ago, slats said:

This is bull****, and it’s been pointed out to you before. Many players referred to this year’s camp as the most grueling they’d gone thru as a pro. I get that this is your shtick, but that’s all it is. It’s not based in reality. 

Grueling is a word, and that's all it is. They practiced pass sets by tying the linemen together with rubber bands instead of taking reps in games. Who cares if they thought it was hard? It's stupid.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Your second paragraph was addressed in the initial post. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Your initial post is all about how much practice time did they have.

Practicing more then what they did wasn't gonna make them any better. The problems would still be there.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

How you practice is how you play. We have looked completely lifeless and lost consistently during the Saleh regime. He wasn’t the only problem with this team/organization but as the head coach he sets the tone and culture….which were sh*t.

I remember when Brady got to Tampa with Arians his philosophy was to have the players stretch before practice to get more time playing football with the CBA restrictions. Brady played his first preseason there too. His first actual year the preseason I think was cancelled due to Covid but he did get preseason reps.

hell Arians if he wanted to coach again would be a good hire if Rodgers sticks around 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

The OP is so correct and anybody defending Saleh should take note of this type of stuff.

Meanwhile coaches like Andy Reid, Mike Tomlinson, and John Harbaugh are known for running rough practices and camps…the results are the results.

Let's excuse this guy then. Couldnt be any worse..

Full Metal Jacket Graduation GIF

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Why did it disproportionately effect the Jets compared to other teams? There's a very similar comp with the Falcons.. Kirk Cousins changed teams had a similar injury and they're ranked 13th in offense compared to the Jets 22nd. Are there stats that put the jets practicing significantly less than other teams?  Why didn't Rodgers get his pass catchers together for extra work if he felt they weren't on the same page? Saleh was a massive problem so why didn't the GM know this and fire him?

There's plenty of other teams with rookie/young QBs and teams with new pass catchers.. why does HOFer Rodgers need more time to get on the same page than they do? Are they not going to improve too?

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Lamar Jackson did not play in any preseason games for the Baltimore Ravens in 2024. This was similar to 2021, when Jackson also missed the preseason. 

The Ravens prioritize keeping Jackson and other starters healthy, and believe that practicing is more important than playing in preseason games.

Jackson said he understands the coaches' decision to keep him off the field, and would rather play in the regular season than risk injury. He also said he expects to be sharp for the regular season opener

fire harbaugh?

lmfao

It's not about the number of practices or preseason games.

It's about the intensity and quality and seriousness of everything.

The Ravens clearly know what they're doing on offense, and the Jets couldn't look more out of sync if they tried.

I don't think that's an accident.

The Ravens OL was also a mess in week 1 but they're clearly improving as evidenced by last night.

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Why did it disproportionately effect the Jets compared to other teams? There's a very similar comp with the Falcons.. Kirk Cousins changed teams had a similar injury and they're ranked 13th in offense compared to the Jets 22nd. Are there stats that put the jets practicing significantly less than other teams?  Why didn't Rodgers get his pass catchers together for extra work if he felt they weren't on the same page? Saleh was a massive problem so why didn't the GM know this and fire him?

There's plenty of other teams with rookie/young QBs and teams with new pass catchers.. why does HOFer Rodgers need more time to get on the same page than they do? Are they not going to improve too?

Rodgers shares some of the blame too but this approach predates him. Douglas didn’t have the power to fire Saleh. Woody ended up doing it

3 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

A whole game in pre season makes a difference week 7?

again essentially every player including guys like rodgers said this was an old school tough has hell camp.

Stop inventing fantasies to fit a narrative 

Rodgers was giggling like a little girl when he said that.

tI have been critical of Saleh in the past for running soft camps, but by all accounts, he ran a tougher camp this year.

The Jets held multiple joint practices with three different teams this summer.

A couple of drives in the preseason for Rodgers is essentially meaningless.  I believe all of the starters played some snaps in the preseason at some point.  Rodgers was the only player I'm aware of who got zero snaps.

There are alot of things wrong with the Jets.  The supposed effect of the things mentioned in this thread are pretty much a nonfactor though.

Saleh's gone. Garrett Wilson was dropping balls and making false starts Bothe with and without Saleh. The players featured are not as good as they think or as advertised. Wilson, Breece, Sauce, Tippman, Corley, AVT, Smith, Ashtyn Davis, etc. None of these players are superstars right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I remember when Brady got to Tampa with Arians his philosophy was to have the players stretch before practice to get more time playing football with the CBA restrictions. Brady played his first preseason there too. His first actual year the preseason I think was cancelled due to Covid but he did get preseason reps.

hell Arians if he wanted to coach again would be a good hire if Rodgers sticks around 

I’d love Arians…but doubt that he comes out of retirement unfortunately. But he is exactly the kind of coach we need.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I love Arians.  I was a season ticket holder for AZ when he was the HC.  Rodgers wants no part of hanging on to the ball for the deep passing game that Arians is known for.  

If we were drafting a QB Arians would be great.  With Rodgers right now I don't think it would work.

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I love Arians.  I was a season ticket holder for AZ when he was the HC.  Rodgers wants no part of hanging on to the ball for the deep passing game that Arians is known for.  

If we were drafting a QB Arians would be great.  With Rodgers right now I don't think it would work.

He and Brady butted heads too regarding that. Seems Father Time has hit Rodgers a bit more than it did Brady at 40 though. Arians would be perfect though for a 2 year rinse. 

You think 4 series in the pre season would make a difference week 7?
every player, including those coming from other teams, said this was one of the toughest camps they’ve had 
It’s not about not coaching enough, it’s about coaching poorly 

Well who is going to throw their HC under the bus by stating training camp was soft.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app