Who would you start your NFL Franchise with? - ESPN.com

The Best: Player I'd start a franchise with

ESPN.com

Editor's note: Over the next two weeks, our series "The Best," will look at the NFL's best in a number of key categories.

The Best: Player I'd start a franchise with ...

Jeffri Chadiha: LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, San Diego

Most people would take a quarterback but Tomlinson is the best player in the league right now. He has great vision, explosiveness and his versatility makes him a threat in the passing game. He's also made life much easier for his quarterbacks (Drew Brees and Philip Rivers), both of whom became Pro Bowl players with Tomlinson working in the same backfield. Plus, any player who can produce 31 touchdowns in one season has to be at the top of the list.

John Clayton: Peyton Manning, QB, Colts

You build championship teams with quarterbacks. Peyton Manning is that quarterback. Though it took him a while to get past Tom Brady and the Patriots, Manning is the ideal player to build your team around. Thanks to Manning and the team built around him, the Colts have been to the playoffs seven times in the past nine seasons. Manning is 31, but he still has a number of playoff years and a Super Bowl or two left in him. It's no different than what Brett Favre did in the 1990s in Green Bay. With Favre behind center, the Packers kept rolling off great seasons. Manning is doing the same in Indianapolis, possibly at a higher level, and he's the guy I'd start my team with.

Matt Mosley: Carson Palmer, QB, Bengals

After an internal debate between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, I decided not to choose either quarterback to start my yet-to-be-named NFL franchise. First of all, they'll both be on the verge of retirement by the time I surround them with enough talent to make a run at the playoffs. Secondly, choosing one of these quarterbacks causes somewhat reasonable humans to fly off the handle and fire off non-affirming e-mails.

And for those of you waiting to see me roll out the Tony Romo selection, let's wait and see what happens during preseason.

No, I'm going with 27-year-old Carson Palmer because, despite his career-threatening knee injury in the 2005 playoffs, I think he's on the verge of greatness. It's too bad that he's currently in a locker room that doubles as a reform school, and we could definitely offer more stability. He's already the first 4,000-yard passer in Bengals history, and he's thrown 78 touchdowns in only 45 career games. Palmer finished with 28 touchdowns, 13 interceptions and a 93.9 passer rating in 2006 after returning from the severe injury. He's not yet in the same class with Brady and Manning, but then, who is? Both of those players are first-ballot Hall of Famers, and by the time they hang it up, some will argue they're the two greatest quarterbacks of all-time. You could definitely make an argument for choosing Titans quarterback Vince Young to start a new franchise, but I'll take the experience and skills of Palmer.

Len Pasquarelli: Shawne Merriman, LB, San Diego.

The preference in choosing one player with whom to start a franchise would, of course, be a quarterback. But because it typically takes 5-7 years for a franchise to begin to demonstrate real results, it's probably impractical to choose a player like Peyton Manning, who still has plenty of productive seasons remaining, but has played nine years. Even Carson Palmer, a possible choice, is 27 years old. Tailback LaDainian Tomlinson? He'll be 28 in June, just at the cusp of a dangerous age at the position, and has averaged 407.2 touches in six seasons. That's a lot of tread rubbed off the tire.

So my choice is San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman, who has played only two seasons, and just turned 23 last Friday. The Chargers' star, who is aptly nicknamed "Lights Out," has a remarkable sack-per-game average. He's appeared in 27 games and has 27 sacks, including 17 sacks in just a dozen outings in 2006. Although his skills-set fits best in a 3-4, Merriman, whose versatility is also demonstrated with 11 passes defensed and six forced fumbles, would be a dominant defender in any scheme. His four-game suspension last year for a violation of the league's steroid policy is a little troubling, but put a chip on his shoulder and made him even more devastating. He should dominate for a lot more years.

If it is a brand new franchise to take a player that is 2-3 years away from retiring does not make much sense. In addition LT has some miles on his tires and I am sure the injury bug will not be too far away so I would pass on him as well. I guess Palmer would be the answer...Peterson is tough due to his injuries. Where is the left tackles?

I tend to agree with the last guy, in picking a defensive player. Without a viable O-line, a running back, quarterback, or wideout wont be able to do squat, so you might as well pick a young productive guy on the defensive side of things. I mean, unless you're the Colts, defense usually wins championships lol.

Why some are down on Adrian Peterson here I'll never know. So he's had 2 injuries, one of them a freak collerbone while diving into the endzone, and people are cautious. When the man is a Top 3 back in this league in 2 years, we'll see how many people will question him then.

Why some are down on Adrian Peterson here I'll never know. So he's had 2 injuries, one of them a freak collerbone while diving into the endzone, and people are cautious. When the man is a Top 3 back in this league in 2 years, we'll see how many people will question him then.

There is a difference between being down on him and picking him as the first player in a player pool of everyone in the NFL.

There is a difference between being down on him and picking him as the first player in a player pool of everyone in the NFL.

Boy we're going to have fun 2-3 years from now, thats all I'll say for now.

id start out w/ Peyton

I second that. Even if his legs slow down over the coming years, it won't effect him. He literally makes the whole offense better, including linement (don't have to hold blocks as long) and any slot receiver he has had puts up great numbers, he's just amazing.

unless its the playoffs.

Matt Mosley: Carson Palmer, QB, Bengals

After an internal debate between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, I decided not to choose either quarterback to start my yet-to-be-named NFL franchise. First of all, they'll both be on the verge of retirement by the time I surround them with enough talent to make a run at the playoffs. Secondly, choosing one of these quarterbacks causes somewhat reasonable humans to fly off the handle and fire off non-affirming e-mails.

And for those of you waiting to see me roll out the Tony Romo selection, let's wait and see what happens during preseason.

No, I'm going with 27-year-old Carson Palmer because, despite his career-threatening knee injury in the 2005 playoffs, I think he's on the verge of greatness. It's too bad that he's currently in a locker room that doubles as a reform school, and we could definitely offer more stability. He's already the first 4,000-yard passer in Bengals history, and he's thrown 78 touchdowns in only 45 career games. Palmer finished with 28 touchdowns, 13 interceptions and a 93.9 passer rating in 2006 after returning from the severe injury. He's not yet in the same class with Brady and Manning, but then, who is? Both of those players are first-ballot Hall of Famers, and by the time they hang it up, some will argue they're the two greatest quarterbacks of all-time. You could definitely make an argument for choosing Titans quarterback Vince Young to start a new franchise, but I'll take the experience and skills of Palmer.

I have to agree with Mosley's selection here and choose Carson Palmer. He's not as good as Brady and Manning, but he's only 27 with 3 seasons under his belt and he's already an elite QB. In my mind he gets a slight edge over the rest of the "younger" QB pack, which includes Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, and Vince Young in this case.

Palmer has stepped up his production each year in the league and proven he was not a "system's QB" that merely had success under Pete Carroll and company. He's been asked to lead a pass-heavy attach in Cincinnati, maybe somewhat unfairly, and come through, including in close-and-late situations (his QB rating was 116.7 last season when in trailing by less than 7 in the 4th quarter).

He's a proven talent and still young. He's my guy.

I can't believe none of the experts picked Tom Brady.

In inclement weather with the game on the line, Tom Brady is cash money.

It's almost like he wants the game to get close and that's when he plays his best. Some people crumble under pressure, Brady thrives under pressure.

I'll start my fictional NFL franchise with that guy and probably cross party lines to vote for him in politics. The guy is a first ballot HOF'er and in the prime of his career. He's got 3 rings!

Call me a traitor? so be it. Tom Brady is a scary guy to face with the game on the line, is that true or false Jets fans? He's the guy every spring every Jets fan secretly hopes goes down with an injury, and the maddening thing is he never ever does. If you made me bet that week 1 Tom Brady will be under center, that injury or circumstances would not stop him from playing, I could easily sleep at night with that bet, he's Tom friggin Brady. (Make that bet on Chad? anyone?)

has everyone forgotten that Tom Brady has made a deal with the devil himself?

RB Ladanian Tomlinson I could see as a viable pick. Merriman is nasty but could juice himself out of the league Mark Gastineau style. he's lightning in a bottle.

Payton won last year, ok great for him... he's still bitter beer face Payton Manning 9 times out of 10 against Brady.

Let me take this one step further, if and when Bellichek moves on from NE it will be to prove he can win without Brady (and Vinatieri) that he's better than his players. We shall see... I'll put my money on Brady, the guy knows how to win very big games.

Seneca Wallace is better than Vick. I would take Palmer, if Roethlisberger never crashed maybe him, but Drew Brees would make it in for me. Sure, New Orleans is probably a one-time Lifetime Channel kind-of story, but Drew Brees gets it done. Alex Smith should do better this year, so maybe he would fill out the bottom. For one-year, Peyton Manning. BLAH BLAH BLAH TOM BRADY IS SOOOO GREAT! Without Vinatieri, Tom Brady would be Jim Kelly and the Pats coaching was so much better than the rest of the league those years.

I think there are 3 positions you can build a team around.QB,LT and DT.We did a big fantasy draft on the ganggreen.com this offseason.And i selected Richard Seymour with my first pick,having a DT who can stop the run and collapse the pocket is a great building block for my defense.I managed to get LT Jammal Brown to protect my QB and make space for my RB for the next decade.Picked up Big Ben a few rounds later.Not a QB to take over the game but he takes care of the football and helps his team win games.

My team in full.

QB-Ben Roethlisberger(4th rounder)

RB-Travis Henry(11th rounder)

WR-Andre Johnson(3rd rounder)

WR-Mark Clayton(12th round)

TE-Anthony Becht(24th rounder)

LT-Jonathan Ogden(13th rounder)

LG-Logan Mankins(9th rounder)

C-Brad Meester(10th rounder)

RG-Larry Allen(22nd rounder)

RT-Jammal Brown(2nd rounder)

TE-Desmond Clark(19th rounder)