What one ex-Jet could help the 2007 Jets the most?

SouthernJet

If for laughs sake, a ex-Jet could be magically transformed into their past prime and play for the Jets in 2007.

Which ex-Jet could be the most beneficial to success on the field for the 2007 Jets??? What one player from past could benefit this 2007 team the most?

Remember, we have a very good RB now, maybe Matt Snell wouldnt be needed,,we have good receivers, do we need Maynard? What are the 2007 weak areas?

Is it a lock for Joe Namath with questions at QB?

Do some of our gloried pass rushers from past fill the bill?

Thats sort of examples of where this fun game could go..

Good thread, SJ.

There are so many ex-Jets that could help us, for different reasons.

Ken O'Brien could actually help, now that he has a decent O-line to protect him. He could throw bombs to Cotch and Coles all day. I mentioned him because Namath is the obvious choice, but O'Brien had a hell of an arm.

Klecko is another obvious choice, but at what position? Didn't he go to the Pro-Bowl at three different positions? The D-line could use him.

Funny, but I think the 1998 Wayne Chrebet could help the most. A clutch, middle of the field 3rd down receiver would compliment Cotch and Coles, and he would fit in nicely with Chad's strength (or lack thereof).

I'd have to go with Klecko. He was a pretty dominating NT and if we ever found a serious NT he would flourish as a 3-4 DE. Our run D would be fixed instantly. I wouldn't mind one of the OL, like Marvin Powell either. Namath in his prime would be the glamour pick. Can you imagine Namath without the knee injuries and today's qb in a dress rules?

My inkling would be Namath or Klecko although I am sure there are some interesting twists. Winnie Hill along with DBrick on OL.

Tabor is on to something with Chrebet in his prime taking pressure off other receivers,,Fun game...

I think this thread would be cooler if it were players that we lost recently.

And the answer for us would obviously be Randy Thomas.

Good call there. Getting rid of Sowell & handing the job to Askew (a move that saved only $300K on the cap) was a curious move as well. McKenzie at RT might be a bigger upgrade over Clement than Thomas over Moore.

Mark Gastineau.

I think Gastineau gets a raw deal in all the all-time type discussions, but he's a bad fit for this team. He's a straight 4-3 rush end and would be terrible in coverage. Abraham would be a better fit because he could at least pretend to drop into coverage. They'd love Klecko because of the emphasis on versatility.

Don't forget Al Toon. An in-his-prime Al Toon is way better than Chrebet in every aspect of the game and his talents would suit Penny much better than Maynard's. Even Sauer would be nice.

If for laughs sake, a ex-Jet could be magically transformed into their past prime and play for the Jets in 2007.

Which ex-Jet could be the most beneficial to success on the field for the 2007 Jets??? What one player from past could benefit this 2007 team the most?

Remember, we have a very good RB now, maybe Matt Snell wouldnt be needed,,we have good receivers, do we need Maynard? What are the 2007 weak areas?

Is it a lock for Joe Namath with questions at QB?

Do some of our gloried pass rushers from past fill the bill?

Thats sort of examples of where this fun game could go..

I'm thinking WR Chris Burkett, LB Alex Gordon, or TE James Thornton

:rl:

I never even saw Namath play & I'd say it's a lock. Only one I'd say close, given our current team strengths/weaknesses, would be Klecko (assuming we adjust for size differences in players now/then).

I saw Namath, and I like Chad, but yes, that is a lock. As great as Maynard and Saure were, it was interesting that neither was much of a YAC guy. Even Maynard, with his great speed, if he didn't catch the ball behind the defender, he went down quickly. When Namath passed for 4,000 yards, he PASSED for 4,000 yards. With Coles and Cotchery's running after the catch ability, Namath would kill defenses. They would not know whether to play tight or play deep.

Klecko could alternate with DRob at NT and play either DE and be a tremendous asset. As would Winnie Hill, who with D'Brick here, could play RT like he did the second half of his great career.

I say A.Glenn. We would have one hell of a secondary. And A.Glenn is a 2007 era type of player. Who knows how great Namath would be playing corners such as Champ Baily and LB's like Ray Lewis

Cornerbacks such as Willie Brown and LBers such as Bobby Bell were not exactly chopped liver. ;)

Wow... If we had Santana Moss as the slot WR with Coles and Cotch on the outside, Thomas jones and Leon in the backfield... Man we would have an explosive offense. S.Moss is my choice!

Just think, we used to have both Coles and Moss. I still don't understand why Bradway/Herm let Coles get away.

Bradway and Herm let Coles leave for the simple fact we did not have Mangini at the time.

Didn't it come down to something as silly as $300,000? I seem to remeber that Bradway lowballed Coles on the tender thinking no one would come after him.

I'd have to go with Klecko. He was a pretty dominating NT and if we ever found a serious NT he would flourish as a 3-4 DE. Our run D would be fixed instantly. I wouldn't mind one of the OL, like Marvin Powell either. Namath in his prime would be the glamour pick. Can you imagine Namath without the knee injuries and today's qb in a dress rules?

Kelcko would be great for us! I would also love a healthy Al TOON! His height would help us greatly in the red zone and give me Broadway Joe!

Didn't it come down to something as silly as $300,000? I seem to remeber that Bradway lowballed Coles on the tender thinking no one would come after him.

yup, ,could have had him a month or so before free agence but lowballed him

Archived