Jets interested in Culpepper?

BP

Daunte Culpepper is reportedly asking for "starter's money" as a free agent.

He won't get that. Culpepper will certainly have to lower his asking price to catch on with a club as a backup prior to training camp. The Ravens, Bucs, Jaguars, and Jets are all believed to be showing interest.

Source: Tampa Tribune

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=NYJ

No thank you!

As I've said before, the Jets have to be somewhat comfortable with Kellen Clemens as their #2 if they passed up on signing David Carr and on drafting Brady Quinn at 14.

Then again, maybe since the draft they have seen things from Kellen that they havn't liked and could seriously be pursuing Daunte. If so, I'd welcome him. We actually have a decent pass protecting Offensive Line, so he could work wonders, although we all know he would be the back-up behind Chad, at least for 2007.

As I've said before, the Jets have to be somewhat comfortable with Kellen Clemens as their #2 if they passed up on signing David Carr and on drafting Brady Quinn at 14.

Then again, maybe since the draft they have seen things from Kellen that they havn't liked and could seriously be pursuing Daunte. If so, I'd welcome him. We actually have a decent pass protecting Offensive Line, so he could work wonders, although we all know he would be the back-up behind Chad, at least for 2007.

Culpepper is a horrible decision maker..the problem is between his ears, not his knee. and he proved it with the Dolphins. I'll take my chances with Clemens.

Nobody knew anything about Pennington either until Testaverde got hurt.

But we do know now that he hasn't brought us home a Super Bowl. :)

Actually, Pennington gets a clean slate with me this year. no more excuses..he's healthy, he has a smart coach and a running game. so it's either put up or shut up for him this year.

Culpepper is a horrible decision maker..the problem is between his ears, not his knee. and he proved it with the Dolphins. I'll take my chances with Clemens.

Hey, I'm a Clemens guy Bill, you know that, but who knows. If these reports are true, then I'm starting to get a little shakey on Kellen. The Jets would not be showing interest in Culpepper if they 110% believed that Kellen was the future, its just strange that they didn't show interest in Quinn or Carr 2 or 3 months ago.

And, how can we know for certain that the problem isn't his knee? He wasn't even close to 100% last year, playing behind a piss poor OLine with 2 over-rated receivers and a largely over-rated running back. I think Daunte is nothing special without Randy, but, who knows, it really hasn't been proven.

True, but Testaverde was a horrible decision maker too and he did okay over here. I wouldn't read too much into this. This FO seems like it checks out every single possible player looking for bargains or hidden gems and I think Culpepper's agent is the one saying there is "interest".

Actually, Pennington gets a clean slate with me this year. no more excuses..he's healthy, he has a smart coach and a running game. so it's either put up or shut up for him this year.

Thank you.;)

I don't mean to take credit for it because I read it in another thread on this site but the poster, who I don't remember, said you should just strap Pennington on Culpepper's back so he could tell him where to throw. That I would like to see.

Who cares? Clemens obviously isn't taking the reigns anytime soon if this rumor has 1/2 cup of truth to it.

Besides,

Who better to coach a strong armed rookie than a strong armed vet? Chad can coach up the mental aspects of the game; and C-pep can teach the kid how to throw a decent boat-party.

FO decisions win.

If this really is true it speaks volumes about Kellen Clemens.

No it doesn't. Everyone here is forgetting how Mangini LOVES, DESIRES, NEEDS compettition at every position. By simply getting the news out one way or the other that they're looking at Culpepper should create a spark in our QBs' bellies. If we do end up with him, he'll just be another body on the field competing for a spot on the roster during training camp.

No it doesn't. Everyone here is forgetting how Mangini LOVES, DESIRES, NEEDS compettition at every position. By simply getting the news out one way or the other that they're looking at Culpepper should create a spark in our QBs' bellies. If we do end up with him, he'll just be another body on the field competing for a spot on the roster during training camp.

There is competition at the QB position right now.

Our backup situation is a bit sorry, but I have more interest in the ingrown hairs on my crotch line than signing him. May his small hands and his fumbling ways send him to a happier place. Culpepper to Moss! I hear a phone ringing in the distance....I'm thinking those two idiots are thanking each other for their careers. All the power to them.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, we all know Chad to Randy Moss, but that's hardly the point. Don't want Culpepper. Nope.

Yay! Mentos! Your peppermint center always hits me just right. Hope you don't have any chalk lines on your navy blue suit. :)

I don't but mainly only due to the fact my suits are black and green.

I did once climb through a limousine instead of walking around it, though.

Hey, I'm a Clemens guy Bill, you know that, but who knows. If these reports are true, then I'm starting to get a little shakey on Kellen. The Jets would not be showing interest in Culpepper if they 110% believed that Kellen was the future, its just strange that they didn't show interest in Quinn or Carr 2 or 3 months ago.

And, how can we know for certain that the problem isn't his knee? He wasn't even close to 100% last year, playing behind a piss poor OLine with 2 over-rated receivers and a largely over-rated running back. I think Daunte is nothing special without Randy, but, who knows, it really hasn't been proven.

I think they are getting nervous becuase Kellen is having a hard time setting himself apart from Tui...

I think they are getting nervous becuase Kellen is having a hard time setting himself apart from Tui...

If that is true, we should all be nervous about that. That being said, I do not want to see Kellen in a game after Preseason unless it is a blow out ( which with our schedule I do not expect this year) because to see him other than that means that things are not going well.

I think if Chad goes down the reigns are gonna be passed over to Kellen. I'm glad that they're looking in at Culpepper though because they're trying to better their team and keep any possible options open

Thank you. Someone finally gets it. As a fan, I want my team to look at any possible upgrades that come available. Daunte is an upgrade over give me a vowel Tiausupoopoo. I haven't seen enough of Clemens to make a judgement on him or not. But I would say that Chad is better then Daunte right now. If Chad goes down. I would rather have Daunte or a QB that has more experience then Clemens.

Thank you. Someone finally gets it. As a fan, I want my team to look at any possible upgrades that come available. Daunte is an upgrade over give me a vowel Tiausupoopoo. I haven't seen enough of Clemens to make a judgement on him or not. But I would say that Chad is better then Daunte right now. If Chad goes down. I would rather have Daunte or a QB that has more experience then Clemens.

I don't know coach-from what I saw of him last year...I don't think he has anything left in the tank

I don't know coach-from what I saw of him last year...I don't think he has anything left in the tank

You are right. But, I think most of that or at least some of it was that he wanted to come back early to prove himself. I'm still not sure if Daunte's numbers were because of Moss. But, then I look at Moss's stats and they are down also. But you got to admit Daunte is at the least better then our current third string qb.

You are right. But, I think most of that or at least some of it was that he wanted to come back early to prove himself. I'm still not sure if Daunte's numbers were because of Moss. But, then I look at Moss's stats and they are down also. But you got to admit Daunte is at the least better then our current third string qb.

No coach I'm not saying that Moss was the reason for his success or the lack there-of...I just saw a guy plodding QB who moved slower than Vinny Testeverde did when he was signed from the couch by Herm in '05-he was also making some crappy throws and bad decisions-Tui at least has some game experience and can still run

I think if Daunte is healthy, has a decent line, and a receiver to throw to he is going to do well this year. It doesn't matter anyways because Chad is going to have a great year. I am so freaking excited man. We finally got a nice running game, good w.r.'s, a nice line, and hopefully enough bodies on the d line to do what we want to with different schemes.

It doesn't matter anyways because Chad is going to have a great year. I am so freaking excited man. We finally got a nice running game, good w.r.'s, a nice line, and hopefully enough bodies on the d line to do what we want to with different schemes.

me too bro-hey coach read that thread I posted by the Jetsblogger and his assessment on Chad and how he'll be able to utilize his play action passing game again with a running game

Archived