Falcons cut starting defensive tackle Grady Jackson in surprising move

Lil Bit Special

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3076353

ATLANTA -- In a surprising move announced without comment from coach Bobby Petrino or general manager Rich McKay, the Atlanta Falcons cut starting defensive tackle Grady Jackson on Tuesday.

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said Petrino would address the move on Wednesday.

Jackson, a 6-foot-2, 350-pound run-stopper, led the league with 13 tackles for a loss last season. The 11-year veteran had 21 tackles, including 5½ for losses, and one sack this year.

Jackson has started 22 of the last 23 games. His surprise exit leaves rookie sixth-round pick Trey Lewis as the starter.Jackson filed a lawsuit against the team in the offseason, claiming defamation and invasion of privacy caused by the release of his medical records. Jackson claimed the release of the report that he failed a physical last summer hurt his value as a free agent. The two sides settled before training camp.

Lewis has 15 tackles. He made two starts when Rod Coleman and Jonathan Babineaux were held out because of knee injuries. The Falcons (1-6) are off this week before a Nov. 4 home game against San Francisco.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index

Based on the Senior DT's that would be suited for the 34 that are coming out in next years draft, I would say sign him for two years so we have someone to give him time to assimilate into the system this year, and replace DRob next year. Then in the 08 draft pick up BJ Raji out of BC (6-1 340) to replace him. Just my opinion.

I would sign him immediately. If he's that awful, he can always be cut. It should be painfully obvious to Mangini that actual MASS is needed in the middle.

Agreed.

There is absolutely no reason not to sign Grady Jackson. He's 35? Who gives a ****. He's better than what we have.

I would sign him immediately. If he's that awful, he can always be cut. It should be painfully obvious to Mangini that actual MASS is needed in the middle.

Agreed. bring him in, give him a physical and a look, and then make a decision. They are well under the cap, so spend some fvcking MONEY on a wide body.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3076288&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

1382.jpg Jackson

Jackson, who had started in all 23 games since signing with the franchise as an unrestricted free agent in 2006, has long been regarded as one of the NFL's top interior defenders against the run.

No explanation was given for the release, but sources said Atlanta coaches felt that Jackson was not playing the scheme prescribed for him and was freelancing too much.

The abrupt release of Jackson, who physical presence and ability to demand double-team blocking helped improved the Falcons' run defense in 2006, ends a brief but tumultuous relationship between the team and the player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3076288&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

1382.jpg Jackson

Jackson, who had started in all 23 games since signing with the franchise as an unrestricted free agent in 2006, has long been regarded as one of the NFL's top interior defenders against the run.

No explanation was given for the release, but sources said Atlanta coaches felt that Jackson was not playing the scheme prescribed for him and was freelancing too much.

The abrupt release of Jackson, who physical presence and ability to demand double-team blocking helped improved the Falcons' run defense in 2006, ends a brief but tumultuous relationship between the team and the player.

At least his "freelancing" would be of his own accord, and not because he's lost and/or too small for the system.

I'd sign this guy.

His release certainly seems political. His production doesn't seem to bad.

A lot of these big guys can play well into their 30's, as long as they keep their body strength, and leverage.

If he does his job, he won't have to play more then 5 plays.

You use him on first down, and any down that seems like it is a running down.

Once the O gets into a situation that the odds are greater that it is going to be a passing play. You bring D-Rob in and let him rush the passer.

They might complament each other very well.

Give the guy a 3 year contract, small guaranteed money. If he plays...... great. If he stinks the place up, you cut him with out to much pain.

Sign him... here is why IMO

Will he last? No.

but...

He will give an example of a big guy in the middle... which will allow Mangini and Co. to see how the DE's and LB's perform with a proper NT... it will answer questions all over the D by bringing him in...

It will answer tons of questions...

Will the DE play improve with a true NT between them?

WIll Vilma improve with a true NT in front of him (see ray lewis)

Will Barton/Harris be more effective with less pressure from the Oline?

Will Thomas/HObson be effective with the DE's possibly being more effective on the edge due to the NT play improving?

Will the CB and Safety play improve with more pressure on the QB?

WIll the pass defense improve if they dont need to stack the line to stop the run?

All of these questions and more can be answered by singing him...

but Mangini is acting like a moron this year and it wont get done...

If they don't even look at the guy, I will doubt Mangini and Tanni have a clue how to build a winning team. You are 1-6 and look like you could be 2-14 at this point. The NT position has stunk since last season. And suddenly one of the bigger and better NT in the league becomes available. How do you not even look at him?

They better do something.

A 345 lb body as our NT? C'mon guys, lost season or not he could perhaps be what we're looking for to bandage our terrible run D. Sign him 2 years and we draft a kid who can get some bulk and learn from him. At this point don't be surprised to see Mangini be asking for anybody off the street, I mean they're looking to shake up the lineup anyway

I thought you guys all hated lockerroom lawyers? This guy is 100 times worse than Kendall and older to boot. I don't think there is any possible way they sign him. A freelancing troublemaker that sues the team?

Personally, I'd sign him and not expect to get too much out of him. Even if Mangini likes a more "athletic" NT, it would make sense to have an alternative. Maybe not give up seven yard runs on every single third and one.

I like the idea of using guys situationally, but with so many teams having a no huddle you can get caught and killed if you have a geezer out there that can't cut it. Jackson's been a stater, so I don't think he's that bad.

I thought you guys all hated lockerroom lawyers? This guy is 100 times worse than Kendall and older to boot. I don't think there is any possible way they sign him. A freelancing troublemaker that sues the team?

Personally, I'd sign him and not expect to get too much out of him. Even if Mangini likes a more "athletic" NT, it would make sense to have an alternative. Maybe not give up seven yard runs on every single third and one.

I like the idea of using guys situationally, but with so many teams having a no huddle you can get caught and killed if you have a geezer out there that can't cut it. Jackson's been a stater, so I don't think he's that bad.

Yeah well our character guys have gotten us to 1-6, so it's not like this guy can kill team chemistry. He's not going to cost us any games from his antics, we lose them fine the way we are. It is the same rationale for starting Clemens, we can lose with Clemens just as well as we can lose with Pennington.

We are under the salary cap, it is not going to carry over. Front-load this guy. Don't even give him a signing bonus, just give him a guaranteed huge salary for this year. That way we can just cut him next year anyway.

Yeah well our character guys have gotten us to 1-6, so it's not like this guy can kill team chemistry. He's not going to cost us any games from his antics, we lose them fine the way we are. It is the same rationale for starting Clemens, we can lose with Clemens just as well as we can lose with Pennington.

We are under the salary cap, it is not going to carry over. Front-load this guy. Don't even give him a signing bonus, just give him a guaranteed huge salary for this year. That way we can just cut him next year anyway.

I know where you are coming from, but I thinki things can get MUCH worse. IMO this has been a very together 1-6 team. The fact that they aren't rebelling and calling for benching Chad shows that. Unless Clemens really sucks in practice. Herm didn't just leave because the KC job came up, he left because he lost the team. Injuries or not, he gave up and so did the team. That has not happened this year.

FWIW, you do not give a guy like Grady Jackson a front loaded deal. If you do and he turns out to be decent he will hold out next year and you'll be held hostage. What will he have to lose with a short money contract for the second year?

I know where you are coming from, but I thinki things can get MUCH worse. IMO this has been a very together 1-6 team. The fact that they aren't rebelling and calling for benching Chad shows that. Unless Clemens really sucks in practice. Herm didn't just leave because the KC job came up, he left because he lost the team. Injuries or not, he gave up and so did the team. That has not happened this year.

FWIW, you do not give a guy like Grady Jackson a front loaded deal. If you do and he turns out to be decent he will hold out next year and you'll be held hostage. What will he have to lose with a short money contract for the second year?

I'm sorry but this team does not look together. They don't start games on fire and they are the worst second half team in the NFL. You can't call a team 'together' when week in and week out they get outscored about 30-10 in the second half.

I haven't seen anybody throw anybody under the bus yet, but they look like a team that expects to lose. A team who looks like they expect to lose every game is not a team that is together. They are lost.

I'm sorry but this team does not look together. They don't start games on fire and they are the worst second half team in the NFL. You can't call a team 'together' when week in and week out they get outscored about 30-10 in the second half.

I haven't seen anybody throw anybody under the bus yet, but they look like a team that expects to lose. A team who looks like they expect to lose every game is not a team that is together. They are lost.

They are a ****ty team. They don't have much talent. They didn't last year either. I lappreciate exaggeration as much as the next guy, but this team has only given up 30 points total three times and you expect to give up 30 to the Pats and Bengals. How many of those second half swoons were based up Penny giving up picks for tds?

They have been in every game and haven't made the plays. Maybe they look like they "expect to lose" but they haven't come apart at the seams either. If things are as you say I think Grady Jackson would be a huge mistake. If they are THAT bad then he isn't the guy that will completely change things to a winning culture and he is precisely the guy you don't want around when things go in the ****ter. That's why Atlanta dumped him. If, like me, you think they are a few bad calls and blown plays away from decency he might make sense.

Archived