Jets ship Vilma to Saint for a 4th rounder in 09...

22DaFuTuRe51

The New Orleans Saints completed a trade with the New York Jets to acquire linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

5537.jpgVilma

Though terms of the deal weren't announced, it is believed Vilma will go to the Saints for a fourth-round pick in 2009 that could be upgraded to a third-round based on how he plays in 2008. Vilma is in the final year of his contract and he goes to New Orleans without a new deal. The Jets started shopping him in the past couple of weeks. Drafted to be a middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense, Vilma didn't fit in as well when Eric Mangini installed a 3-4 defense. Vilma's knee problems also influenced the Jets' decision to move him.

For the Saints, it was a busy opening to the start of free agency. On Thursday night, they re-signed defensive tackle Brian Young to a three-year, $12 million contract with a $4 million signing bonus. They also re-signed linebacker Mark Simoneau to a three-year, $4.9 million contract that included a $1.4 million signing bonus.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He hasn't been a real difference maker in 2 years, had a major knee injury and can't run yet.

We know he was an impact player, but honestly his value is low right now. We have no choice but to take this deal. My guess is the Lions looked at his knee and said no, why else would they bring him in and then we hear nothing about a deal with them other than one involving DRob.

I've heard about 5 different rumors on what he'll be traded for, i'd recomend we wait until the official terms of the trade comes out before we curse the team. I also would like to say that we aren't the only people who understand the comensatory picks, so for whatever we get i gurantee its the most we could have gotten for him. Half of you act like you would be able to convince a team to give us more for them.

but we coldve got atleast a 5th rounder this year and that conditionally draft pick then ill be alil happier i kno we were gonna get rid of him anyway but that guy we get with that pick is gonna have alot of pressure

all i hope for is saints 0-16 and vilma is a probowler breaks records

Whoa... i offically am pissed at Tanny. What a idiot... a 4th rounder this will be the biggest joke on espn tonight :bag:

What would you give for a player coming off knee surgery with one year left on his contract?

If the Jets eventually get the lowest possible compensatory pick, it'll mean that Vilma didn't do much of anything in '08. If that's the case, a 4th rounder in '09 would be a good deal.

What do you expect for a guy who had major knee surgery? Turn the tables and become a saints fan, would you give up an unprotected 1st or 2nd rounder for Vilma? I wouldnt.

Look at it from their end.

We just got a 3 time pro bowler for a 3rd and 5th. Teams are giving away the farm for a currently rehabbing player.

Whoa... i offically am pissed at Tanny. What a idiot... a 4th rounder this will be the biggest joke on espn tonight :bag:

Saints raped us thats for sure

Like we were a joke when we traded Herm for a fourth (Leon)? I think that worked out in our favor.

I dont think it really matters what year the pick is, would it have been nice to have it this year? Sure, but as things get clearer on this team year to year that pick will be more valuable since we will begin shoring up positions of need for next year, when the schedule gets tough again.

Also, with Vilma and his knee, that is a big factor in what we were going to get. As someone said earlier, the Lions were really interested until they brought him in for a physical, all of the sudden those talks died, there has to be a reason for that, and in all likelyhood it was the knee.

So far next years draft looks like it could be a busy one, we already have an extra third at least, as well as Washington's fourth, not to mention what else we might get

why didnt we keep him for the first 4 games to show he can play and get 2nd rounder for the same draft that we are getting from anyway.

i hate this ttrade

Trades during the season don't happen as easily as in other sports. Plus, then a team is trading for him and will only have him for 12 games and going to give up a 2nd rounder?

why didnt we keep him for the first 4 games to show he can play and get 2nd rounder for the same draft that we are getting from anyway.

i hate this ttrade

And what if he couldnt play?

Then we settle for a fifth or sixth rounder and people bash the organization for not trading him befor the season, much like now.

Trades during the season don't happen as easily as in other sports. Plus, then a team is trading for him and will only have him for 12 games and going to give up a 2nd rounder?

Only thing I don't understand is what the rush was. If we weren't going to get a pick until next year's draft, why not wait until the summer -- or at least until he's up & running?

They seem to have acted a little desperate on this one & we were not in a desperate situation. He clears a whopping $1.1M on the cap. There was just no rush if the UPside of the compensation was a 3rd rounder in NEXT year's draft, IF he has a good season in 2008.

I'm starting to hate our fat coach.

Should we have kept Vilma? His knee is questionable at best and he sucks in the 3-4. We would bitch about him being a) injured and useless or B) healthy and useless. And then he would walk at the end of the year for no compensation.

Should we have kept Vilma? His knee is questionable at best and he sucks in the 3-4. We would bitch about him being a) injured and useless or B) healthy and useless. And then he would walk at the end of the year for no compensation.

A 4th round pick ?

We know how Vilma can play in the right defense, I hope NO loses every game because of this trade.

Only thing I don't understand is what the rush was. If we weren't going to get a pick until next year's draft, why not wait until the summer -- or at least until he's up & running?

They seem to have acted a little desperate on this one & we were not in a desperate situation. He clears a whopping $1.1M on the cap. There was just no rush if the UPside of the compensation was a 3rd rounder in NEXT year's draft, IF he has a good season in 2008.

yeah that's my only complaint also. What was the rush?

Only thing I can think is that there was very little interest, and NO had the attitude that it's either now or we are moving on to another MLB.

Still think it is decent value for a player who wasn't going to contribute this season, and walk away next year.

Archived