At Least Eric Ainge fits the MO - Call me Crazy but this could be Tom Brady

SUorangefootball

Coming out of college no one would have seen Tom Brady coming. While he did not have a huge arm or a celebrated career (which certainly reflected on his draft status) he possessed the following attributes which most people would not argue with coming out of college prior to his success.

- Tall Frame with the ability to get bigger and stronger

- Top Flight competition throughout his career

- Tremendous intangibles and love for the game

- The ability to avoid being sacked despite limited athletic measurable

- Second tier supporting cast of skill players

During Brady's senior year he led the team to a 10 & 2 record and improved statistically also with 214 completions on 341 attempts for 2586 yards, 20 touchdowns and five interceptions. Surprisingly enough, the last game of his college career was also his best game ever as a quarterback up to that point. In the FedEx Orange Bowl vs Alabama on January 1, 2000, Brady led the Wolverines back from a 14 point deposit to win the game by a score of 35 to 34 in overtime. In the dramatic game and overtime finish Tom completed 34 of 46 passes for 369 yards and four touchdowns

In 2000, the New England Patriots drafted Brady in the sixth round (199 overall) of the 2000 NFL Draft. Brady who had been expecting to be drafted in the third or forth was tremendously disappointed with being drafted so late in the draft. However, as disappointed as Brady was at getting drafted in the sixth round - he may have been luckily to have been drafted at all. One scout wrote about Brady prior to the draft in a scouting report that Tom had "Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm."

Now lets visit our Draft Pick Eric Ainge

- Tall Frame with the ability to get bigger and stronger CHECK

- Top Flight competition throughout his career CHECK

- Tremendous intangibles and love for the game CHECK

- The ability to avoid being sacked despite limited athletic measurable CHECK (Ainge through 513 passes and was sacked a total of 3 times) No offense but i saw Kellen and Chad sacked 3 times in one quarter last year.

Obviously the draft position is the same. Here are the senior year stats for your comparison

As a freshman at UT in 2004, Ainge threw 17 touchdown passes in 9 games, breaking Peyton Manning's freshman TD record of 15. His 1,452 passing yards ranked second behind Manning in UT freshman history. Ainge split time for much of the year with Brent Schaeffer, who later transferred to Ole Miss. (Tom split time fighting behind Drew Henson)

Here is the write up on Wikipedia (same place i found Brady's)

Eric's senior year statistics included 3,522 passing yards, 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions. Despite throwing 513 passes his senior year Eric was only sacked 3 times. He completed 62.6 % of his passes and had a 135.48 QB rating. Ainge was able to achieve this success despite nagging injuries which hampered him all season. The strongest statistical game for Ainge was a 52-50 overtime win over Kentucky in which Ainge threw 7 touchdowns and 397 yards and his Bowl win over Wisconsin (Outback Bowl) in which Ainge threw for 365 yards and two touchdowns. Eric also lead Tennessee to a 35-14 victory of Nationally ranked Georgia in which he completed 17 of 22 passes. Ainge was drafted in the 5th round (Pick 162) by the New York Jets. He will wear #9 for the Jets.

Call me Crazy Jet Fans, but in my heart i believe we finally got the guy that none of us saw coming. Maybe its fate that it happens the Year Favre retires.

Coming out of college no one would have seen Tom Brady coming. While he did not have a huge arm or a celebrated career (which certainly reflected on his draft status) he possessed the following attributes which most people would not argue with coming out of college prior to his success.

During Brady's senior year he led the team to a 10 & 2 record and improved statistically also with 214 completions on 341 attempts for 2586 yards, 20 touchdowns and five interceptions. Surprisingly enough, the last game of his college career was also his best game ever as a quarterback up to that point. In the FedEx Orange Bowl vs Alabama on January 1, 2000, Brady led the Wolverines back from a 14 point deposit to win the game by a score of 35 to 34 in overtime. In the dramatic game and overtime finish Tom completed 34 of 46 passes for 369 yards and four touchdowns

In 2000, the New England Patriots drafted Brady in the sixth round (199 overall) of the 2000 NFL Draft. Brady who had been expecting to be drafted in the third or forth was tremendously disappointed with being drafted so late in the draft. However, as disappointed as Brady was at getting drafted in the sixth round - he may have been luckily to have been drafted at all. One scout wrote about Brady prior to the draft in a scouting report that Tom had "Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm."

- The ability to avoid being sacked despite limited athletic measurable CHECK (Ainge through 513 passes and was sacked a total of 3 times) No offense but i saw Kellen and Chad sacked 3 times in one quarter last year.

Obviously the draft position is the same. Here are the senior year stats for your comparison

As a freshman at UT in 2004, Ainge threw 17 touchdown passes in 9 games, breaking Peyton Manning's freshman TD record of 15. His 1,452 passing yards ranked second behind Manning in UT freshman history. Ainge split time for much of the year with Brent Schaeffer, who later transferred to Ole Miss. (Tom split time fighting behind Drew Henson)

Eric's senior year statistics included 3,522 passing yards, 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions. Despite throwing 513 passes his senior year Eric was only sacked 3 times. He completed 62.6 % of his passes and had a 135.48 QB rating. Ainge was able to achieve this success despite nagging injuries which hampered him all season. The strongest statistical game for Ainge was a 52-50 overtime win over Kentucky in which Ainge threw 7 touchdowns and 397 yards and his Bowl win over Wisconsin (Outback Bowl) in which Ainge threw for 365 yards and two touchdowns. Eric also lead Tennessee to a 35-14 victory of Nationally ranked Georgia in which he completed 17 of 22 passes. Ainge was drafted in the 5th round (Pick 162) by the New York Jets. He will wear #9 for the Jets.

Call me Crazy Jet Fans, but in my heart i believe we finally got the guy that none of us saw coming. Maybe its fate that it happens the Year Favre retires.

This dude is wack. This thread should be deleted (ok, im sorry, I should be nice. It shouldnt be deleted). there was better talent taken in the 6th round as well as QB's still undrafted. This was the only pick that the jets did that was a complete waste.

Trust me, I patiently wait in line to take shots at Tom Brady, but atleast Tom Brady has talent....and an arm. Erik is only Danny's Nephew. Thats the closest to talent that he goes...a distant relation.

The Jets either need to get a QB thats better than Kellen or they need to restructure Chads deal again and just have him back Kellen up. That or just say **** this 08 season, make sure that we have the number one pick and get Tim Tebow.

P.S. I was personally offended when you compared Ainge to Brady, you make us Jet fans look VERY desperate. Its not that serious (Okay, I'll be nice. I wasnt "offended". I just hate that people make Tom brady out to be god. Damn, He was on a winning cheating team, and its been proven that they've been cheating for years. Green bay's coach said it, they cheated us, they cheated against the Rams etc. And its not hard to throw 23 touchdowns to Randy Moss, ask Culpepper, sh_t, where did THAT MANS career go. The only reason why he even has a career is because Mo lewis decided to put a lickin on Drew Bledsoe. We created this damn illusion. We can end it with Gholston).

Keep fighting the good fight, SU. No one knows if Ainge is the next Tom Brady or if he's just making a pit stop on the way to the Arena League. But no one knows that about Brohm, Henne, or even Matt Ryan, either. Mr. Upside, Andre Woodson, lasted all the way to the last pick of the sixth round! How could such talent fall so far?!?

Being that I have no reason to bust the team's balls over the pick, I'll break optimistic for now.

Besides, Kellen Clemens is the next Brett Favre, so this discussion is moot, anyway. ;-)

The chance of him being as good as Brady? Next to impossible.

The odds that he will not make it in the NFL. More probable than him making it.

But, for the love of the sweet baby Jesus, let's see him throw one pass in training camp before we start chiseling the bust for Canton or hammering the nails in the coffin. :)

I think Ainge is gonna be a very good QB in a couple of years. To hell with the doubters! I see no reason to believe otherwise going on what I saw from him the last couple of years. He's gotten better each year in college. He was a steal at the end of round 5. I really don't care what the talking-heads have to say about him. None of them are running an NFL team. Ainge is a good QB and it will translate to the next level with some development as a back-up.

The Jets did not build the team they just did to hand it over to Clemens who looked like a lost puppy last year. Chad will start and by next year Ainge will be the 2nd string. Kellen will be in Oregon selling cars.

Keep fighting the good fight, SU. No one knows if Ainge is the next Tom Brady or if he's just making a pit stop on the way to the Arena League. But no one knows that about Brohm, Henne, or even Matt Ryan, either. Mr. Upside, Andre Woodson, lasted all the way to the last pick of the sixth round! How could such talent fall so far?!?

Being that I have no reason to bust the team's balls over the pick, I'll break optimistic for now.

Besides, Kellen Clemens is the next Brett Favre, so this discussion is moot, anyway. ;-)

Andre Woodson = Tony Banks

Matt Ryan will probably be considered a bust in two years and it will be because of his supporting cast more than it is him. It's tough to succeed on a team like that.

Brohm might not win the job from Rodgers. Henne has a chance but Miami is still god awful at this point.

This dude is wack. This thread should be deleted (ok, im sorry, I should be nice. It shouldnt be deleted). there was better talent taken in the 6th round as well as QB's still undrafted. This was the only pick that the jets did that was a complete waste.

Trust me, I patiently wait in line to take shots at Tom Brady, but atleast Tom Brady has talent....and an arm. Erik is only Danny's Nephew. Thats the closest to talent that he goes...a distant relation.

The Jets either need to get a QB thats better than Kellen or they need to restructure Chads deal again and just have him back Kellen up. That or just say **** this 08 season, make sure that we have the number one pick and get Tim Tebow.

P.S. I was personally offended when you compared Ainge to Brady, you make us Jet fans look VERY desperate. Its not that serious (Okay, I'll be nice. I wasnt "offended". I just hate that people make Tom brady out to be god. Damn, He was on a winning cheating team, and its been proven that they've been cheating for years. Green bay's coach said it, they cheated us, they cheated against the Rams etc. And its not hard to throw 23 touchdowns to Randy Moss, ask Culpepper, sh_t, where did THAT MANS career go. The only reason why he even has a career is because Mo lewis decided to put a lickin on Drew Bledsoe. We created this damn illusion. We can end it with Gholston).

ERIK AINGE > tom brady

Good post, but IMO Ainge is a bad fit for the Arena League.

So let me get this straight.

A lot of people on this site according to this guy do not know football yet he is comparing Erik F'ing Ainge to Tom Brady? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Erik Ainge will never see the field in a meaningful game unless both Pennington and Clemens are dead.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAAAHAH!!!!!!!!!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAA!!!!!

Damn, how are we going to choose between Bret Favre and Tom Brady? HAHAH i knew i was going to get killed for this post but i wanted to be the first to go on record so if and when Eric Ainge gets his chance, i can quote all the Jets fans who laughed at the notion that he can be a tremendous starting QB in the league. By the way, i'm WELL aware the odds of Eric becoming anything more than average are not very high. I WAS SIMPLY SAYING (If any of you can read) AT LEAST HE FITS. i repeat AT LEAST HE FITS the MO of that underdog QB that no one believed would work out.

So let me get this straight.

A lot of people on this site according to this guy do not know football yet he is comparing Erik F'ing Ainge to Tom Brady? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Erik Ainge will never see the field in a meaningful game unless both Pennington and Clemens are dead.

Co signed.......Erik Ainge is Hot Garbage :pooh::chas:

who was the guy that used to post about how great Brooks Bollinger was and how he should be the starter? So is this going to be SUorangefootball's rep now?

Fred Jetstone. I miss that guy!

It's unbelieveable how you guys tear at new prospects.

Being from Tennessee I am obviously a huge Vol fan,and I love the Titans (which by the way if you want to talk about poor drafting....COME ON). However my best friend hails from the Jersey area and is a DIE HARD Jets fan...so I have been a fan also for some years now.

Ainge isn't the next Brady...blah blah blah...but the kid has MORE than solid arm strength, I've seen close to every home game he's played in, and he's a student of the game...he's bigger than Peyton M (and has him on speed dial).

I PRAY he's starting for the Jets in two years and slaying...so you doubters who apparently spend NO time watching college ball will be quelled.

OH AND WOODSON....?? Really??? Funny I kind of recall Ainge beating Woodsons team every year they played against each other...and I mean AINGE beat him, Woodson had a far more talented stock of recievers around him.

Being from Tennessee I am obviously a huge Vol fan,and I love the Titans (which by the way if you want to talk about poor drafting....COME ON). However my best friend hails from the Jersey area and is a DIE HARD Jets fan...so I have been a fan also for some years now.

Ainge isn't the next Brady...blah blah blah...but the kid has MORE than solid arm strength, I've seen close to every home game he's played in, and he's a student of the game...he's bigger than Peyton M (and has him on speed dial).

I PRAY he's starting for the Jets in two years and slaying...so you doubters who apparently spend NO time watching college ball will be quelled.

OH AND WOODSON....?? Really??? Funny I kind of recall Ainge beating Woodsons team every year they played against each other...and I mean AINGE beat him, Woodson had a far more talented stock of recievers around him.

Logic and Jets fans don't mix. We would rather be negative about everything because a bunch of idiots with bad hair tell us the potential of these college players and what we have actually seen from the guys in college is actually all meaningless. Don't you know that? Ainge has a weak arm and no mental toughness - don't you know that? They said it in Newsday! I watched a lot of Ainge myself and I like what I have seen from him - especially as a Senior. I guess I guy with a broken finger on his throwing hand who plays 7 games with his fingers taped together is not tough at all. Then again, Tom Brady has a weak arm and is way too small and frail to ever last in the NFL. He will be a 3rd string QB at best. They told me that before he was drafted and you see how right they were about that. How dare you trust your own eyes and not listen to the great draft pundits that all have one thing in common= they are not GM's in the NFL and if they were they have since been stripped of that right because they failed. I like Ainge and in the end of the 5th round he is an absolute STEAL for the Jets!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAH!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAAA!!!

The chance of him being as good as Brady? Next to impossible.

The odds that he will not make it in the NFL. More probable than him making it.

But, for the love of the sweet baby Jesus, let's see him throw one pass in training camp before we start chiseling the bust for Canton or hammering the nails in the coffin. :)

:rl:

that's what i was thinking. Had we drafted Brohm this thread would have been exactly the same with a different name in it. lol

let him play!

BTW, kellen is going to shut you chad homers up very soon.

You can ignore most of the blabber when JETS fans tear down the picks...its our nature.

Ainge has potential if not more than as any of the late round QBs this year. I wouldn't go as far as saying he can be the next Brady but hear he has great leadership and tremedous work ethic...hopefully he can develop into a solid pro QB.

I relate to your following the JETS. I follow the Titans because my son caught the fever during their Super Bowl season. Now he is the die-hard Titans fan...what didn't you like with their draft? Johnson could become a gamebreaker...some experts compared him to Brian Westbrook...Jason Jones was solid choice after they lost the DEs in free agency and Lavelle Hawkins was good value in the fourth. Now, William Hayes...never heard of but sometimes you have to trust the FO research.

This is me calling you crazy

I can think of a few reasons to tear into new prospects

-Johnny Lam Jones

-Blair Thomas

-Kyle Brady

-Bryan Thomas

-Trading for Doug Jolley

-Taking Nugent in the 2nd round

-D-Fat

-Johnny Mitchell

Just to name a few

The Jets haven't had a thoroughly good draft since 2000.

Under the organization as a whole can show that it can consistently draft solid talent to contribute (which it hasn't), there's no reason to expect Jet fans to not think their draft choices aren't going to be major busts. The Jets redefine draft ineptitude each April.

This is me calling you crazy

My premise was simply the MO fits of a guy who could emerge as a top flight NFL QB. I never said he WOULD be Tom Brady, ONLY THAT HE COULD BE (granted the universe needs to align a certain way and perhaps hell must freeze over) BUT , the reason i wrote this post was to point out the extreme opposite to the opinions of many on this board that Eric Ainge was a piece of crap. I doubt New England fans were even looking at Tom Brady when he was drafted and those who did i'm sure dismissed him as a nothing , a waste, my point is only that YOU NEVER KNOW.

Archived