Quinn unimpressive to Mangini

BroadwayJ667

We're hearing that the new power structure in Cleveland -- the combination of coach Eric Mangini and G.M. George Kokinis -- isn't sold on Brady Quinn as the starting quarterback. One source with knowledge of the dynamics in Cleveland says that the new power structure there is "lukewarm" on Quinn. As a result, don't be surprised if the Browns opt to keep Derek Anderson, pay his $5 million roster bonus, and let Anderson and Quinn battle it out for the starting job. Here's the key -- neither Mangini nor Kokinis need to justify the decision to draft Quinn or to sign Anderson. The new coach and G.M. can focus on what's best for the team, regardless of whether the answer is Quinn or Anderson, or neither. (ProFootballTalk.com)

We're hearing that the new power structure in Cleveland -- the combination of coach Eric Mangini and G.M. George Kokinis -- isn't sold on Brady Quinn as the starting quarterback. One source with knowledge of the dynamics in Cleveland says that the new power structure there is "lukewarm" on Quinn. As a result, don't be surprised if the Browns opt to keep Derek Anderson, pay his $5 million roster bonus, and let Anderson and Quinn battle it out for the starting job. Here's the key -- neither Mangini nor Kokinis need to justify the decision to draft Quinn or to sign Anderson. The new coach and G.M. can focus on what's best for the team, regardless of whether the answer is Quinn or Anderson, or neither. (ProFootballTalk.com)

Translation:

Guys, we don't NEED to trade Derrick Anderson. In fact, we might not even want to. So if you want him, don't try to get him cheap.

I'll be very surprised if this is the approach the Browns take once the season opens

I personally don't think much of either QB.

Personally, I think Anderson sucks.

He had 1 good year and was absolutely dreadful in 2008.

How the media can fuel speculation that the Jets or any other team wants to trade for him is beyond me.

How the media can fuel speculation that the Jets or any other team wants to trade for him is beyond me.

Substitute the name Cassell for Anderson and you can reuse this post at this time next year.

He didn't look great, granted. But to be fair, Braylon Edwards alone must have dropped at least a half-dozen passes dropped that could have/would have been 50-yard TD's, and another 10 more moderate (and therefore potentially deep) gainers as well. Not to mention the potential yards gained by continuing drives instead of punting after easy drops.

That will hurt anyone's numbers. And not that these losers are any kind of measuring-sticks, but 9 TD's and 8 INT's compared to 2 TD's and 12 INT's from the other 3 guys.

He didn't look great, granted. But to be fair, Braylon Edwards alone must have dropped at least a half-dozen passes dropped that could have/would have been 50-yard TD's, and another 10 more moderate (and therefore potentially deep) gainers as well. Not to mention the potential yards gained by continuing drives instead of punting after easy drops.

That will hurt anyone's numbers. And not that these losers are any kind of measuring-sticks, but 9 TD's and 8 INT's compared to 2 TD's and 12 INT's from the other 3 guys.

But, Sperm, Anderson had a 50.2 completion percentage. The only reason he didn't have more INTs was because he couldn't hit anyone, WR or CB.

But, Sperm, Anderson had a 50.2 completion percentage. The only reason he didn't have more INTs was because he couldn't hit anyone, WR or CB.

10 fewer dropped passes make it 55%. Not record-setting, but he takes a lot of shots downfield. I saw a lot of Cleveland games this year, in part because I had Braylon Edwards on my FF team :bag:.

I think you're misinterpreting my feelings on him. He's not a great QB. He's just not nearly as bad as his on-paper numbers from 2009 indicate. That team was a train wreck. That's ok though. Mangini will educate him on why footballs should never be thrown more than 6 yards.

10 fewer dropped passes make it 55%. Not record-setting, but he takes a lot of shots downfield. I saw a lot of Cleveland games this year, in part because I had Braylon Edwards on my FF team :bag:.

I think you're misinterpreting my feelings on him. He's not a great QB. He's just not nearly as bad as his on-paper numbers from 2009 indicate. That team was a train wreck. That's ok though. Mangini will educate him on why footballs should never be thrown more than 6 yards.

I understand, Sperm, but a 50% compl. % is a big red flag for me. Anderson had the 32nd ranked Comp. % of any starter.

Think of this, Sperm, even with those 10 extra receptions, his 54% comp. % would only move him up to 31 in front of JaMarcus Russell. Plus, 27 NFL starters had a comp. % of 58% or better.

So, even with the 10 extra completions, Anderson was still horrible. All it would have done is ranked him ahead of Russell and behind 30 other starters.

Anderson = suck.

I understand, Sperm, but a 50% compl. % is a big red flag for me. Anderson had the 32nd ranked Comp. % of any starter.

Think of this, Sperm, even with those 10 extra receptions, his 54% comp. % would only move him up to 31 in front of JaMarcus Russell. Plus, 27 NFL starters had a comp. % of 58% or better.

So, even with the 10 extra completions, Anderson was still horrible. All it would have done is ranked him ahead of Russell and behind 30 other starters.

Anderson = suck.

And 50% should be a red flag. But 10 extra receptions was just Braylon Edwards' drops alone. Actually, just his easy ones. Further, a lot of those incomplete passes may be from guys simply running wrong routes. Pretty common when you see someone throw the ball and there's no one anywhere in the area. Either the QB is throwing it to the wrong place or the WR isn't in the right place. At this level these guys aren't typically 5-10 yards off the mark when everyone's on the same page.

And I'm not saying he's so friggin' marvelous. Or even any better than the question marks we have currently. Only that he's not as bad as his '08 stats indicate. No QB would have done well on that team, with all the drops, the piss-poor ground game, the lousy playcalling, and spotty protection. He also got a concussion in a pre-season game & injured his hand on the same play.

And 50% should be a red flag. But 10 extra receptions was just Braylon Edwards' drops alone. Actually, just his easy ones. Further, a lot of those incomplete passes may be from guys simply running wrong routes. Pretty common when you see someone throw the ball and there's no one anywhere in the area. Either the QB is throwing it to the wrong place or the WR isn't in the right place. At this level these guys aren't typically 5-10 yards off the mark when everyone's on the same page.

And I'm not saying he's so friggin' marvelous. Or even any better than the question marks we have currently. Only that he's not as bad as his '08 stats indicate. No QB would have done well on that team, with all the drops, the piss-poor ground game, the lousy playcalling, and spotty protection. He also got a concussion in a pre-season game & injured his hand on the same play.

Your point is well taken, Sperm. I understand the bad situation Anderson was in for 2008.

BUT, even in his best season, he was at about 56% compl. % which is still bottom 5 in the NFL. That should be troubling. So when he's doing well, Anderson still can't hit the broad side of a barn with any regularity.

Your point is well taken, Sperm. I understand the bad situation Anderson was in for 2008.

BUT, even in his best season, he was at about 56% compl. % which is still bottom 5 in the NFL. That should be troubling. So when he's doing well, Anderson still can't hit the broad side of a barn with any regularity.

One doesn't know whose fault it is for certain. Only his prior coaches know for sure (and his prior OC at that). He's probably just not very accurate.

You drive up Anderson's price by saying how impressive he has looked in the system, rather than sticking it to Quinn.

True, it seems kinda stupid to take the young player you want to install in the offense and throw him under the bus to make Anderson look more appealing in trade negotiations. If that is what they are doing what negative effect does that have on him, and what effect does that have on a team that thinks their coach has no faith in their qb?

One doesn't know whose fault it is for certain. Only his prior coaches know for sure (and his prior OC at that). He's probably just not very accurate.

Since they were on Monday night a few times i noticed his passes were always just a bit off or a lot off. No QB can hit the receiver in stride on every play but I can't remember seeing any throws by Anderson (other than a couple deep balls to edwards...dropped of course) that were perfectly thrown.

His receivers almost always need to readjust.

That said...i think he's a one year wonder-bum and hope he is never wearing Jet green.

Archived