1. 1. Do you want Cutler?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Um 04/05 are conveniently left out.

Eli/Ben/Rivers

Alex Smith busted but Rodgers looks pretty good in GB.

And if it's ok to judge 2007, what's the problem throwing 2008 in as well?

Matty Ice and Flacco have to be in the mix if Jamarcus and Quinn and Trent are being considered.

Consider that this year's draft class is considered VERY weak, but the class of 2010 looks VERY strong, holding picks makes a lot of sense. Drafts aren't done in a vaccum. You can't make a generalization on them like that. Each class has to be done on it's own merit. 96 WR class was a perfect example of that.

Oh and leaving the 2000 class out was also pretty convenient....Bulger/Brady and even ol Chaddy have had equal success or better to Jay Cutler at this point in his career in the NFL.

Come on Sperm you are better than that.

It wasn't an accident nor was it even attempting to deceive. I was saying there were entire drafts, not the entirety of all drafts, when there were so few who panned out. I even edited it to add 2007, as you can see from the bottom of my post I said I left out 2007-2008 when I left that part in by mistake. I thought I'd be posting the classes of 1 or 2 draft drafts. It ended up being a lot more than I thought. So many, that it looks like I "left out" two drafts.

So what's the point? That more than a single good QB was drafted in two or three of the last 8 drafts? That's still pretty crappy odds. And just because you take a QB in one of those drafts doesn't mean you're going to end up with one of those good ones. Often the better QB's from a draft are not the ones who were the best prospects. Like in 2000.

And the 2010 QB class isn't expected to be better than the 1999 draft class is it? Go look that one up for me.

The point is that it is VERY unlikely to get a franchise QB of Cutler's level or better in any given draft. Not only does there need to be a QB out there (or more than one), but he has to be there when it's our turn to pick.

Look at that 2003 draft class. That was considered a pretty draft class for QB's. FOUR of them taken in the first 22 picks. The only one that wasn't awful was Carson Palmer. And it's not like we're going to have the top pick in the draft anyway.

So is it actually your belief that we are LIKELY to get a good QB in the 2010 draft, and that QB will be good within his first two seasons?

Um 04/05 are conveniently left out.

Eli/Ben/Rivers

Alex Smith busted but Rodgers looks pretty good in GB.

And if it's ok to judge 2007, what's the problem throwing 2008 in as well?

Matty Ice and Flacco have to be in the mix if Jamarcus and Quinn and Trent are being considered.

Consider that this year's draft class is considered VERY weak, but the class of 2010 looks VERY strong, holding picks makes a lot of sense.

Even when you figure in those drafts, what are the odds that the Jets land a franchise caliber QB in the next two drafts?

There's really no telling what next year's draft is going to bring. Even if the Jets hit the jackpot then, they got no help in 2009, and aren't likely to be going too deep into the playoffs with a rookie QB in 2010 - no matter how good he is. Cutler's already gone thru that learning curve, and looks to be on his way to being a franchise caliber signal caller.

You seem to be pretty pragmatic, yet you want to cling to this idea that somehow "what's behind door #2" will be a better player than Cutler? I don't get it. Take a look at the Jets drafts since Parcells left. Can you honestly tell me that you can put any two of those former first round picks together and say they'd be more valuable to the the franchise than Jay Cutler - warts and all?

2008 1 1 6 6 Vernon Gholston DE Ohio State

2 1 30 30 Dustin Keller TE Purdue

2007 1 1 14 14 Darrelle Revis DB Pittsburgh

2006 1 1 4 4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson T Virginia

2 1 29 29 Nick Mangold C Ohio State

2004 1 1 12 12 Jonathan Vilma LB Miami (FL)

2003 1 1 4 4 Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky

2002 1 1 22 22 Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham

2001 1 1 16 16 Santana Moss WR Miami (FL)

Because I'll tell you, I can easily come up with couple that I think have been an absolute albatross around this organization's neck.

I saw part of the interview on ESPN this morning. He said "He's our quarterback" or whatever and then the interviewer asked, "will he be quarterbacking the broncos at the beginning of the 2009 season" and he responded saying "He's our quarterback." That was his only response so we know that he is not confident enough to respond about the future of the team...he only stated the obvious about the team's condition right now.

The ironic thing is the hype for Cutler's year was it was supposed to be the best QB class since 83 (whatever year Marino/Kelly and I think one other came out, was it Elway?). So once in roughly 30 years type class. I can't be the only one that remembered that. Hell, The Troll still holds a grudge against VY for all the hype he got, but I personally think Leinart, or Leinhart as he was commonly referred to at that time, also deserves some of that vitriol. Ironically Cutler is the best of his class, and although some of us were saying he would be, we still thought the other two wouldn't be quite as worthless as they are probably, and expected Cutler to not be the headcase he is showing himself to be.

Sperm is right in that getting a top shelf QB is very difficult. Yes there have been a few good drafts recently where 2 or 3 QBs come out, although we're not even sure for most of them if they really will be that good for their careers, and this board mocked Eli and Rivers incessantly so you have to take that with a grain of salt as well.

So say we get lucky and we pick in a year that has good QBs, which you can't believe based on hype (Cutler/VY/Leinart was supposed to be great, whereas Flacco/Ryan was supposed to be weak) and you might not even reap rewards for 3-4 years (Rivers/Eli). Cutler isn't a bad choice if he can be gotten for the right price, because at the very worst you know that he is probably competent. The Jets will probably be a run first team with a great defense. That's not a bad formula. All you want is a QB that can give you that chance when you need him to, and Cutler has show he can do that much. Remember the defenses in Denver have been putrid for years now (one reason why Shanahan was fired) and he didn't have a run game either at least this year. When Ryan Torain is your savior for your run game, you know you're on your own as the QB. When you're relying on Peyton Hillis to fill the "gap" you know you're going to have to win through the air, and that the opponent knows that too.

That's a compeltely different situation than when you can hand the ball off and choose when to take shots. Cutler should be fine, although yeah he is a knuckle head and that could be a problem. But that's a problem you can coach through. He's not as hopeless as VY for instance. And you'll never be able to coach an arm or the desire to read a defense or actually learn football, which a lot of QBs seem to have no inclination for (one guy preferred to kill dogs and is now rotting in prison).

In a 14 game season. Anyone else do it in 14?

I think you mean he did it in a 16 game season.

Nobody ever did it in a 14 game season.

Over the last 14 games of the 1984 season (game 3 through game 16) Marino threw for 4504. But in his first 14 games he threw for 4369.

This past year, Brees had 4510 over the last 14 games. Over the first 14 he had 4332.

The record for passing yards in a 14-games season? Joe Namath with 4007 yds.

(Though to be fair, he didn't play against any NFL teams that season.)

The ironic thing is the hype for Cutler's year was it was supposed to be the best QB class since 83 (whatever year Marino/Kelly and I think one other came out, was it Elway?). So once in roughly 30 years type class. I can't be the only one that remembered that. Hell, The Troll still holds a grudge against VY for all the hype he got, but I personally think Leinart, or Leinhart as he was commonly referred to at that time, also deserves some of that vitriol. Ironically Cutler is the best of his class, and although some of us were saying he would be, we still thought the other two wouldn't be quite as worthless as they are probably, and expected Cutler to not be the headcase he is showing himself to be.

Sperm is right in that getting a top shelf QB is very difficult. Yes there have been a few good drafts recently where 2 or 3 QBs come out, although we're not even sure for most of them if they really will be that good for their careers, and this board mocked Eli and Rivers incessantly so you have to take that with a grain of salt as well.

So say we get lucky and we pick in a year that has good QBs, which you can't believe based on hype (Cutler/VY/Leinart was supposed to be great, whereas Flacco/Ryan was supposed to be weak) and you might not even reap rewards for 3-4 years (Rivers/Eli). Cutler isn't a bad choice if he can be gotten for the right price, because at the very worst you know that he is probably competent. The Jets will probably be a run first team with a great defense. That's not a bad formula. All you want is a QB that can give you that chance when you need him to, and Cutler has show he can do that much. Remember the defenses in Denver have been putrid for years now (one reason why Shanahan was fired) and he didn't have a run game either at least this year. When Ryan Torain is your savior for your run game, you know you're on your own as the QB. When you're relying on Peyton Hillis to fill the "gap" you know you're going to have to win through the air, and that the opponent knows that too.

That's a compeltely different situation than when you can hand the ball off and choose when to take shots. Cutler should be fine, although yeah he is a knuckle head and that could be a problem. But that's a problem you can coach through. He's not as hopeless as VY for instance. And you'll never be able to coach an arm or the desire to read a defense or actually learn football, which a lot of QBs seem to have no inclination for (one guy preferred to kill dogs and is now rotting in prison).

Well put.

You skipped over 1999, which was then touted as possibly the best QB class of all time including the 1983 draft class. That is, until everyone flopped except McNabb and Culpepper (until Randy Moss was traded anyway) and Brooks. Even so, those three are hardly Elway, Kelly, and Marino. I'd match them up against Todd Blackledge (another "sure thing") any day, though.

Well you proved my point - you would trade anyone to get Cutler and you mentioned Revis, the best player on the team.

You severely undervalue Leon. yes he won't run for a 1000 yards, but he's a threat to go the distance everytime he touches the ball. You will see this more if the coaching staff uses him effectively. He's the modern day Bruce Harper, even better. You don't give guys like that up. Now if Denver traded Cutler straight up for him, that would be different. But there's no way that's going to happen.

A modern day Bruce Harper? Yeah, that's not worth a top QB. Washington is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball, but so is Ted Ginn Jr and you laughed when Miami picked him 9th overall. Do you really think Leon is so valuable with only one year left on his deal?

We can get him for a #1 this year and next year's #3 & 4.

Quinn and Jets 1st round pick to Denver,

Jets #3 & 4 Round 2010 picks to Cleveland,

Cutler to Jets

yay/nay?

For the 1000th time, Cleveland is not going to trade Brady Quinn. And if by some strange twist of fate they did, they would want a hell of a lot more than 3rd and 4th rounders.

Brady Quinn knows Brian Daboll's offensive system. It is the same system employed by Charlie Weis at ND. Not to mention that Quinn is wildly popular among Cleveland fans for the same reason Bernie Kosar was, he is a local. They see him as the hometown hero. Mangini would be crucified if he got rid of Quinn.

Anderson would be the who goes.

A modern day Bruce Harper? Yeah, that's not worth a top QB. Washington is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball, but so is Ted Ginn Jr and you laughed when Miami picked him 9th overall. Do you really think Leon is so valuable with only one year left on his deal?

Don't let my Mother hear you say that. Bruce Harper is her all-time favorite Jet!

Jets can still get QB Jay Cutler

DANA POINT, Calif. - Broncos coach Josh McDaniels one moment claims Jay Cutler is his quarterback, but in the next refuses to say he's untouchable and leaves open the possibility he could still be traded. And that keeps alive the possibility Cutler could be the Jets quarterback this season.

McDaniels' table at the AFC coaches breakfast at the league meetings Tuesday was three-deep with reporters asking the 32-year-old rookie coach about the controversy that began with Denver's failed attempt to deal for New England's Matt Cassel and send Cutler to Tampa in a three-way trade.

He said he would be "contradicting myself" if he said Cutler was untouchable. "He's our quarterback. We're committed to him and we will always do what is in the best interests of our team," McDaniels said. "That's why we are talking about this right now. There was a scenario presented that was considered."

If it happens again, McDaniels said he would consider it again. "That is my job," he said.

He said the Broncos were not even thinking about trading for Cassel, McDaniels' former quarterback in New England, until they were approached about putting together a three-way trade at the start of free agency. By that time, the Patriots already were close to trading Cassel to Kansas City.

Why did the Broncos wait so long to go after Cassel? McDaniels said the Broncos never got involved until the idea was presented to them by teams that wanted Cutler. He insists the Broncos did not come up with the three-team proposal.

"We didn't initiate the thing," he said. "We weren't even thinking about doing that."

Cutler is boycotting the Broncos offseason workouts, and McDaniels does not know when he will report. "We are committed to him and I'm looking forward to him being back," McDaniels said. "As long as that's the case and we are both committed to each other, then absolutely he will be our quarterback."

But perhaps only until the next attractive trade offer comes along.

BRONCS COMMIT TO CUTLER, UNLESS ...

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said the team is committed to Jay Cutler as Denver's quarterback. Still, he says, no options including trades are being ruled out.

McDaniels made his comments at the NFL meetings in Dana Point, Calif., yesterday speaking with the media for the first time since the rift between the new Bronco coach and the Pro Bowl QB became public.

He reiterated that Cutler is his quarterback, and that he'll do what he can to improve the relationship.

The relationship became strained when McDaniels failed to inform Cutler about trade talks in which the Broncos showed interest in Matt Cassel. Cassel wound up being traded by New England to Kansas City, and Cutler asked to be traded.

"I've always been optimistic," McDaniels said. "I understand there's things we have to work toward in our relationship."

Cutler has said he'll be at a mandatory minicamp April 17-19 if he's still a member of the Broncos.

Asked if he envisions Cutler being his QB then, McDaniels emphatically said, "Yes."

RULE CHANGES

Owners passed four player-safety rules for next season and adjusted the calls on the kind of tackle that injured Patriot QB Tom Brady in the 2008 opener.

Defenders who are knocked to the ground no longer can lunge into QBs if the play is still going on. Kansas City safety Bernard Pollard did just that on the hit that ended Brady's season.

That adjustment was not a rule change and did not require an owner vote. But four other rules were passed:

* The initial force of a blindside block can't be delivered by a helmet, forearm or shoulder to an opponent's head or neck. An illegal blindside block will bring a 15-yard penalty.

* Initial contact to the head of a defenseless receiver also will draw a 15-yard penalty.

* On kickoffs, no blocking wedge of more than two players will be allowed.

* Also on kickoffs, the kicking team can't have more than five players bunched together pursuing an onside kick.

ETC.

Contrary to remarks by Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, Tony Gonzalez wants to be traded if the right deal can be made, it was reported last night. According to a source, Gonzalez was surprised that Hunt had said the Chiefs were definitely not going to trade their 10-time Pro Bowler.

* New coach Eric Mangini says neither Brady Quinn nor Derek Anderson has a hold on the Browns' quarterback job.

Eric Mangini likes Brett Favre but thinks Gang Green was mean

DANA POINT, Calif. - Eric Mangini, exiled to Cleveland, and Brett Favre, retired in Hattiesburg, are making plans to be reunited in Browns training camp this summer.

Mangini, who Tuesday strongly defended the job he did in his three years with the Jets, later told the Daily News he has been text-messaging with Favre since they last saw each other on Dec.29, the day the Jets fired Mangini and one day after Favre played what turned out to be the final game of his career.

Favre's meltdown in the final five games cost Mangini his job. But now the odd couple are working out the logistics to spend time together this summer.

"He might come out to training camp to visit," Mangini said. "Maybe I will have him do the show team or just hang out."

Since Favre is still under contract to the Jets, Mangini can't have him put on a uniform and run the practice team, of course. But he didn't rule out Favre being a guest instructor for quarterbacks Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson, who face an open competition in camp for Cleveland's starting quarterback job.

Mangini simply likes the idea of having the future Hall of Famer around for a few days.

"I don't think it would be anything formal," Mangini said. "It's not like we are hiring him to run the scout team. I don't think he would be interested in that. He would be more like a visitor. An open invite."

The relationship between Mangini and Favre was dissected after the worst collapse in team history transformed the Jets from an 8-3 team with legitimate Super Bowl aspirations after back-to-back victories in New England and Tennessee into a 9-7 disaster that missed the playoffs. Mangini insists he had no problem with Favre, who has never bad-mouthed Mangini.

"We had a legitimately good relationship," Mangini said. "He's a good guy. I like Brett a lot. That was a tough situation for him to come into and I thought he handled it incredibly well."

In fact, during the season, Mangini's wife gave birth to their third son on Oct.10, Favre's 39th birthday. Following up on a promise he made to Favre when the Jets were recruiting him, he gave his son Zack the middle name Brett. Asked if that will now change, Mangini noted he didn't change the middle name of his second son.

"William," he said with a laugh.

That was for Bill Belichick, once Mangini's mentor but now his No. 1 enemy.

Mangini, who had never addressed his firing with the Jets, answered questions from the Daily News at the AFC coaches breakfast at the league meetings and left little doubt he felt he did well enough to keep his job. He judged his career on two winning seasons out of three, but the way the Jets folded last season should not count as a winning season. Incredibly, Mangini was out of work for about 10minutes before he was hired by the Browns and basically allowed to hire his own general manager.

"I was proud of what I did in New York," Mangini said. "That team was a lot better when I left than when I got there. And I think that organizationally, we made a lot of really positive changes."

Mangini said he did not feel betrayed by GM Mike Tannenbaum, his best buddy, who did not prevent Woody Johnson from firing him. Mangini, Tannenbaum and Johnson all checked into the league meeting hotel at the same time over the weekend. Mangini said it was not uncomfortable to see them in the lobby. He said he's had several conversations with Tannenbaum since he was fired but it was the first time he spoke with Johnson.

"I understand that changes are made and I appreciate that," he said. "I was thankful for the opportunity and I'm even more thankful for this opportunity. When one door shuts, another one opens. Now I've got another great opportunity in Cleveland and couldn't be happier."

Mangini failed to give an answer with any depth about what went wrong with the Jets. He didn't second-guess his decision to not bench Favre, who was diagnosed after the season with a partially torn biceps tendon and clearly was not throwing in December as he had in September.

"We went through the season and did the best thing we thought at the time in terms of his history," Mangini said. "I felt good about the decision I made at that time."

He said his final Jets team meeting was emotional and he left the players with a piece of advice. "I told them to make sure they embrace the new coach so they can continue to move forward and continue to build on the things that we've done," Mangini said.

If Mangini and Favre get together this summer, they can sit around the campfire and reminisce how they were at the controls of the Jets' collapse that got Mangini fired and convinced Favre to quit.

Rex Ryan on trading for Jay Cutler

Ok, so that headline was a bit of a tease, because Ryan didn't talk specifically about the Broncos' disgruntled quarterback when the Jets coach spoke with reporters this morning at the NFL owners meetings in southern California.

But he did, as usual, have some interesting things to say.

Here are a few snippets:

On whether he is still hoping to acquire a quarterback for the starting job: "That’s what you hear in the papers but we like the guys we’ve got. We think with Brett Ratliff, Kellen Clemens and Erik Ainge, we have three young quarterbacks. We’ve been able to keep Brian Schottenheimer. He’s an outstanding coach. These quarterbacks have been able to stay in the same system their entire career. It’s not like you’re getting a rookie. For Kellen Clemens, this will be his fourth year in this system. He’s backed up some pretty good quarterbacks. Obviously with Brett Favre, everyone’s going to back him up. With Brett Ratliff, all he did last year was have a 122.5 passer rating in the preseason. Obviously, he’s never had a chance in a regular season game but it would be hard to get that kind of rating if you were going against air. We’ll see how he plays."

On Kellen Clemens: "I saw him up close. (In Baltimore), we (had) a pretty comfortable (lead). We had a good fourth quarter lead when we were playing the Jets (in 2007). All of a sudden, he brings that team back. Quite honestly, if it wasn’t for a dropped ball, they would have tied the game with a pass that would have been a touchdown. I know that he can do it. He can move and he can make all the throws and I think that Ratliff can to. It’s going to be a good competition."

On what he may apply to the Jets from watching Joe Flacco’s development and success last year: "I give a lot of credit to (Baltimore offensive coordinator) Cam Cameron. He’s an outstanding coach. It was an honor to be on the same staff as him. The thing about Cam is that he cared more about winning. He wanted to lead the NFL in wins, not stats. If that meant taking the air out of the ball, that’s what he did. I heard him several times tell Joe, ‘If you’re not 100 percent sure that you can complete this ball, don’t throw it.’ That was just the way he was. Every now and then, he would take shots down the field. We played to our strengths (in Baltimore). We played to our defense. We played to our special teams, and we tried to score in the red zone. If you look at the numbers, I think (Baltimore’s) offense did a great job last year. In the beginning of the year, I think you saw there were some growing pains. (Flacco) had one touchdown pass and maybe six or seven interceptions and he fumbled a few times. He learned how to protect the football in the pocket and, as the year went on, he got more confident. He’s tremendous. He reminds me of Carson Palmer (in) the way that he can throw the football. I wouldn’t put him in that class right now, but he’s getting there."

On comfort level with the quarterbacks: "I’m comfortable with the guys that we have. These young men have a lot of ability. They just haven’t had an opportunity to showcase what they can do. Kellen Clemens was a second-round pick and I saw him up close and personal (in 2007) while I was in Baltimore. We had a big lead. He brought that team back and if it wasn’t for a dropped post route, they would have tied the game in the fourth quarter against us. I certainly know what his capabilities are. As far as Brett Ratliff, all I can go on is what I saw on tape. I even watched practice tape on him. He had a 122.5 passer rating in the preseason. That’s hard to do against air. He’s going to get a good shot."

On whether he will bring in a veteran: "I look at it this way. I brought in a veteran quarterbacks coach to lead these young guys in Matt Cavanaugh. Matt played 16 years in the League and won two Super Bowls as a player, won a national championship as a quarterback at the University of Pittsburgh and was the offensive coordinator in 2000 when the Ravens won a Super Bowl. I think I’ve got plenty of leadership there. I also have Jon DeFillipo as the assistant quarterbacks coach. I feel great about the coaching staff. I feel great about the guys that are going to be lead these young guys. I just think these young quarterbacks need an opportunity. Another thing I’m excited about is that they’re not coming in as just rookies. These guys are young but they have veteran experience in the system. This is Brian Schottenheimer’s fourth season, it will be Kellen Clemens’ fourth season. This will be Brett Ratliff’s third season. They’re familiar with the offense and I think that they can hit the ground running."

On whether he would consider a quarterback that he thought could help his football team: "I feel good about our quarterback situation. Everyone seems to think we have major issues there. I don’t think the situation is what people think it is. I think we’re going to be just fine. As I look at our offense, if we don’t have the best offensive line in the League, I think we’re certainly in that mix. We have one of the best offensive line coaches in the League, if not the best, in Bill Callahan. That’s a great foundation right there. We have two Pro Bowl running backs in Leon Washington and Thomas Jones. We have a former Pro Bowl fullback in Tony Richardson. We’ve got a great receiver in (Jerricho) Cotchery. We’ve got a tight end that scares the heck out of defenses in Keller. I think we’ve got plenty of weapons on offense. I’d like to be the quarterback for those guys."

Given his weapons on offense, on whether he would still prefer to have a proven quarterback to go with them: "Last year (in Baltimore), we drafted Joe Flacco and he wasn’t supposed to play. Then in a span of three days, we lose Kyle Boller to a shoulder injury, we lose Troy Smith to an illness and now all of a sudden Joe Flacco is our starting quarterback and we made it to the AFC championship game and we were close to beating Pittsburgh. You might have the next superstar in your own building. You’ve just got to give him an opportunity."

On whether Clemens or Ratliff have the potential to be the next Joe Flacco: "I think everybody is different, but I hope and I truly believe that whoever our quarterback is is going to experience the same success that Joe Flacco had. The success we had in Baltimore was based on a team. It wasn’t based on one position. That’s what we’re building here in New York."

On whether it would be good for Kellen Clemens confidence if he was told that the Jets were his team and he was the starter: "It’s not fair to say it’s his team now because this is going to be a competition. I’m a new coach and this is a major decision but we’ve got to do what’s best for this football team. If that means that Brett Ratliff is our guy or Erik Ainge is our guy, we owe it to our football team to put the best player out there."

On what he is looking for from his starting quarterback: "We want a guy that can lead the League in wins. We don’t care about leading in passing yards or any of those other stats. It’s about the team. I understand it’s a big part but he’s just part of the success and part of the solution. He doesn’t have to be the solution, just part of the solution. Some games may call for Brian (Schottenheimer) to take the air out of it and still be successful. Other games may need to be just the opposite and we need to wing it all over the place. We don’t want to be careless with the football and we need to score in the red zone. The quarterback’s got to be able to make throws in the red zone and convert on third down. If you can run and move a little bit, that helps you as well. All three of these guys can do that."

On whether you can win in this division that includes Tom Brady without an elite quarterback: "I think you can win with a team. That’s the big thing. You’ve got be a great team. Obviously, there are going to be teams out there that have a better quarterback than you do. There might be teams that have a better linebacker than you do but you just have to be the best team. I think to beat great players, you’ve got to be a great team…If you’ve got a great nucleus around a guy, he doesn’t have to be a great player himself. He doesn’t have to take the whole thing on himself. Run the play. If the guy’s open, throw him the football."

On Bart Scott: "He has the type of temperament and mentality that we want to play with. I think the way that Bart will lead is the big thing. He’s a tremendous player. He can cover most backs in this league. No matter how good the running back is, Bart can handle him. That’s critical. He’s a complete player. He can blitz, he can play the run, he’s a good tackler, he’s a physical player, he loves to play. That’s the way this defense is built – around players like Bart."

On the AFC East and his approach to stopping the variety of offenses in the division: "I think this is the best division in football. I thought I came from the best division in football last year. We knew that one of those teams was going to come out and win the Super Bowl. We just thought it was going to be us instead of Pittsburgh. It ended up being Pittsburgh. I would not be surprised if the Super Bowl champ comes out of our division this year. We’ve got a lot of great teams and a lot of great coaches and players. I think our defense will be up for the challenge – whether it is Wildcat, wishbone or whatever, we’ll be ready to play."

On Vernon Gholston: "For whatever reason, the young man maybe never played up to expectations but there’s a reason that he was taken as high as he was. I believe in the young man. I think you’re going to see this kid really come into his own this year. The thing I’ve really been impressed with about Vernon is that he’s been there almost every day. When nobody else was in the building, he was in there lifting weights and everything else. He’s ready to come out and, believe me, it’s in there. We all know it’s in there. But it’s my job to get this guy playing at a high level by any means necessary and that’ what we’re going to do…It’s just a matter of letting him know what we expect of him and letting him roll. All I want is everything he’s got. That’s all I want. Nothing more. It’s funny because I heard the same things about (Baltimore defensive tackle) Haloti Ngata when he came out of college - that he took plays off and things like that. I don’t hear anyone saying that now and it’s to that young man’s credit."

Dan interviews Jets official about Cutler

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Mar 24, 2009

Both ESPN's Chris Mortensen, and Gary Myers of the Yes Network, reported that the Jets called the Denver Broncos to inquire about the availability of QB Jay Cutler. On Monday, JC's Dan Leberfeld interviewed Jets publicist Bruce Speight about the Jets interest in Cutler.

Q)Is it possible to interview Rex about the team's interest in Jay Cutler? Gary Myers says you guys are in . . .

Speight: We can't talk about a player under contract with another team. That is tampering.

Q)But Gary says sources said that you guys are interested?

Speight: My statement remains the same.

Q)Chris Mortensen reported that you guys called Denver last week about Cutler - point blank - true or not true?

Speight: Point blank - I decline comment.

Jets Roster Breakdown: Secondary

The NFL Draft is only one month away and the Jets still have needs all over their roster that they will attempt to fill with their six draft choices. In preparation for the draft, I am going to go through each of the positions on the roster and examine what they currently have, who they could add through free agency, and who they could potentially draft, starting today with the secondary:

Jets Current Cornerbacks:

1. Darrelle Revis - Revis is coming off a pro-bowl season and is quickly turning into one of the best players in the NFL at his position. He is legitimate number one corner that teams will game plan to throw away from, putting increased pressure on whomever is playing opposite him.

2. Lito Sheppard - The Jets acquired Sheppard from the Eagles to start opposite Revis and hope he can regain his pro-bowl from a few years ago. If he can stay healthy, Sheppard is a very good number two corner and will it make it very difficult for opposing defenses to attack the Jets through the air.

3. Dwight Lowery - Lowery had a great start to his rookie season last year but began to struggle down the stretch. However, he did show he has the tools to be a quality starter in this league, if not a very good nickel back. He may need a little more time to develop but could see extended action if the injury bug catches up with Sheppard again.

4. Drew Coleman - Coleman has had an up and down three year career with the Jets. He is a very fast player, who is valuable on special teams and has previous starting experience. He struggled in his role as a nickel back last year and needs a strong camp to stick on the roster this year.

5. Ahmad Carroll - A former first round pick, Carroll was resigned this year for special teams purposes. However, there is some hope that under Rex Ryan he could reach his potential and contribute on defense.

Jets Current Safeties:

1. Kerry Rhodes - Rhodes is playmaker, who had a somewhat quiet year last season which many are blaming on Eric Mangini's schemes. He hasn't had a consistent starter next to him in his career and the hope is with Jim Leonhard next to him, that he could become the Jets version of Ed Reed.

2. Jim Leonhard - Leonhard had a breakout season last year under Rex Ryan in Baltimore and has joined his former coach in New York. The Jets brought him in to bring stability opposite Kerry Rhodes and to help out with punt returning duties.

3. Abram Elam - Elam created a ton of big plays last season but struggles in pass coverage. He provides strong depth, good special teams play, and his hard hitting style should find him some playing time on defense in a few packages.

4. Eric Smith - An Eric Mangini guy who was given the chance to start last year and never took advantage of his opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make the roster this year.

5. James Ihedigbo - A special teams player, who will also be fighting for a roster spot.

Free Agency:

- It is rumored that the Jets are close to signing former Raven Samari Rolle to boost their depth at cornerback. I don't know if this move shows less faith in Lito Sheppard's ability to stay healthy or Dwight Lowery's ability to be the #3 corner. However, you could never have enough cornerbacks and the Jets should be able to get Rolle relatively cheap.

Draft:

- If the Jets sign Rolle, I doubt they will draft another corner. However, if they do not I wouldn't be shocked if they took a long look at one on the first day of the draft. I have seen a few mock drafts that have them selecting Vontae Davis or Alphonso Smith in the first round, but even if they don't sign Rolle, I still think they'd wait until round 2 with more pressing needs at quarterback, receiver, and defensive line. The Jets have a pretty good group of corners right now with Revis, Sheppard, and Lowery and are solid at safety with Rhodes, Leonhard, and Elam. In the second or third round, they could look at a corner like Darius Butler or Sean Smith.

Great job, SFJ!

By the way, that Rams article is full of ****. Really, Rex's 1st choice was the Rams? Rex doesn't seem like an idiot. This isn't about how great the Jets are, but any objective person would understand that the Jets was a more attractive job than the Rams. Plus, Rex had no connection with the Rams.

Great job, SFJ!

yea I like doing these Jets News threads-especially at this time of year when it is a challenge to find something about our team...I mean it is a whole lot better than reading about what the Pats are doing, of which I go out of my way NOT to post in those threads...if I can help it. This IS a New York Jets site after all

Gary Myers hates the Jets like I've never seen a sportswriter ever hate a team that he covers before. The only reason he is printing pieces that the Jets "still have a chance to get Cutler" is so he can publicly HAMMER them when they don't and make it look like they tried with everything they had and failed miserably while the truth is that Denver has zero intentions on trading him.

Myers is a sad, sad human being.

great post this morning soflojets

josh said all the right things on tv yesterday but it dosen't mean a thing until we hear from cutler everything is still up in the air i think this situation is more about money then anything i bet if they agree to redo his contract he will be more happy then a lil kid with a bag of candy.

Gary Myers hates the Jets like I've never seen a sportswriter ever hate a team that he covers before. The only reason he is printing pieces that the Jets "still have a chance to get Cutler" is so he can publicly HAMMER them when they don't and make it look like they tried with everything they had and failed miserably while the truth is that Denver has zero intentions on trading him.

QUOTE]

I agree with this part

Ryan on Gholston: 'I believe in the young man'

March 24, 2009 9:57 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

DANA POINT, Calif. -- One of the most incredible stats from last season: Prized New York Jets pass rusher Vernon Gholston, the sixth pick in the draft, recorded one solo tackle.

Of the 23 Jets who made a tackle, Gholston finished with the fewest. He also had four assists, giving him a grand total of five tackles. He, of course, had zero sacks.

While a single season is too soon to label any player a bust, Jets fans certainly are cynical about Gholston.

Jets coach Rex Ryan, however, isn't afraid to bang Gholston's drum.

"For whatever reason, the young man maybe never played up to expectations, but there's a reason that he was taken as high as he was," Ryan said over breakfast Tuesday morning at the NFL owners' meeting at the St. Regis Hotel.

"I believe in the young man. I think you're going to see this kid really come into his own this year."

Perhaps Ryan can figure out a way to unlock Gholston's potential and save him from becoming known as another Mike Mamula, a scouting combine phenom who looked good in a tank top but couldn't perform on Sundays.

Ryan previously spent 10 seasons on the Baltimore Ravens' staff, helping to mold them into one of the NFL's elite defenses.

"The thing I've really been impressed with about Vernon is that he's been there almost every day," Ryan said. "When nobody else was in the building, he was in there, lifting weights and everything else.

"He's ready to come out and, believe me, it's in there. We all know it's in there. But it's my job to get this guy playing at a high level by any means necessary, and that's what we're going to do."

Gholston, listed at 6-foot-3 and 264 pounds, left Ohio State after his junior season, when he set a Buckeyes record with 14 sacks.

"It's just a matter of letting him know what we expect of him and letting him roll," Ryan said. "All I want is everything he's got. That's all I want. Nothing more.

"It's funny because I heard the same things about [Ravens defensive tackle] Haloti Ngata when he came out of college, that he took plays off and things like that. I don't hear anyone saying that now."

Gholston has to be good... as it sits the JETS need to only allow 10 points per game to win... I doubt the offense puts up multiple TDs the way it is...

i agree that's why i feel it's important to used this draft on offensive skill players to compliment ratliff,i wish there was a way to trade up and grab crabtree or maclin if they fall past 10

Archived