***Official JN Jay Cutler Talk - All Jay, All Day*** [Merged 49X]

Aten

Do you want Cutler?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Cutler?

• Yes
    • No

The draft isn't a complete crapshoot. The last 2-3 rounds are a complete crapshoot. Round 1 picks are scrutinized over & over & you're in a better position to "guess right" there than elsewhere in the draft.

If they were all equal crapshoots, then the blunders of trade-downs that Parcells made in '98 would be the smart move every time.

Or just look at any draft. You're going to find more good players in rounds 1 & 2 than in rounds 6 & 7 every year (even though, with compensatory selections, there are many more picks being made in those later rounds).

But any part of the draft is more of a crapshoot than acquiring an established player. In many cases, you take your chances because those draft picks (outside the top 10) are way less $ on the cap. Sometimes you make a move for an established player & pay them big money, particularly if it's a position where the likely dropoff is so great. Like from Kris Jenkins to Pouha or a rookie, or Jay Cutler to Kellen Clemens/Brett Ratliff or a rookie.

The lesser player on your roster, or the rookie you draft, may be better than that player. But the likelihood of that is small. And if you're running a 3-4 defense you need a real NT. If you're running any kind of offense, you need a good QB no matter how many times someone shouts out the name "Trent Dilfer" at you.

I agree completely to give up draft picks (I said earlier I would give up 2 #1's for Cutler) because the draft is a complete crapshoot. I agree with what you said that you are more likely to get the pick right in the first 2 rounds, however, there are many, many that do not. Couple that in with the fact that many good to great players are picked in round 3 and lower, and that's why you have a crapshoot. All you have to do is look at the Jets history of 1st round picks to see how much of a crapshoot it is. I don't have a link, so take it for what it's worth, but I remember reading somewhere that about 50% of 1st round picks don't pan out from a productivity standpoint.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McMoron has no other option but to say this.

And, as The Troll pointed out, this idiot should have said that a week ago to avoid this mess.

What's also humorous is that Culter believes McMoron is a 2-face (according to Bus Cook), so this new proclamation fits right into it.

I agree completely to give up draft picks (I said earlier I would give up 2 #1's for Cutler) because the draft is a complete crapshoot. I agree with what you said that you are more likely to get the pick right in the first 2 rounds, however, there are many, many that do not. Couple that in with the fact that many good to great players are picked in round 3 and lower, and that's why you have a crapshoot. All you have to do is look at the Jets history of 1st round picks to see how much of a crapshoot it is. I don't have a link, so take it for what it's worth, but I remember reading somewhere that about 50% of 1st round picks don't pan out from a productivity standpoint.

Yeah, but it's also to what degree you consider a player a success or a bust or in between.

Technically, guys like Bryan Thomas or Dewayne Robertson are not total busts. But for a first round pick or (in DRob's case) a top-4 pick, they were relative busts. You expect more of a top-4 pick than you do from a guy picked later in that round (to say nothing of guys picked in the 2nd through 7th rounds).

Some areas you take your shot & if the player doesn't work out the whole team is not crippled (where teams often have solid enough depth like RB, WR, TE, most linemen, linebackers, and safety). Those players (except maybe the offensive line) can be rotated in & out from play to play. You don't rotate offensive linemen in & out from play to play or series to series. You don't want to have to do that with your top two corners. And you certainly can't do that at QB. If "the guy" or the guy who wins the job sucks, you're in trouble as opposing coaches (especially in the playoffs) aren't blind & they're going to exploit that weakness. Whether it's the speed of your receivers, the strength of your QB's arm, how good of a run-stopper a DL'man is, or how crappy a DB is in coverage.

A below-average QB is such a major handicap that it affects everything you want to do. Even when Favre was playing poorly at times before he was injured, the defense always had to respect not just his arm, but how likely he was to test it on any given play. It gave our RB's a lot more room even though he wasn't as good of a QB last year as a weak-armed QB like Pennington. Our ground game really got a boost & it isn't because our primary RB is more talented or explosive than Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams, because he's not at all.

We could end up with a "decent" QB at #17. But how long does it take for that QB to be "decent"? Does it happen as a rookie? Not usually. How about year two? Year three? How long do you keep a learning QB behind center & hamper the offense? These veterans we have now aren't going to stay in (or near) their prime forever. If you take a shot on a rookie QB & give him a couple of years & it still doesn't work out, you just wasted the rest of the team around him that you painstakingly assembled.

McMoron has no other option but to say this.

And, as The Troll pointed out, this idiot should have said that a week ago to avoid this mess.

What's also humorous is that Culter believes McMoron is a 2-face (according to Bus Cook), so this new proclamation fits right into it.

He dug this hole. Now he's desperate to undo it. Lots of Luck McDouche. :rl:

Cutler wants out and if he wants out bad enough, you'd better believe he'll get out.

I still say he gets traded.

That's not true at all, I can name you plenty of players who said they won't play for that specific team or even report to any mandatory meetings. Come season time, those players were still in the same uniform.

If Cutler wants to stay so be it, but if he wants to get traded, it doesn't mean he will. He's under contract and that's all that matters to the Broncos.

A below-average QB is such a major handicap that it affects everything you want to do. Even when Favre was playing poorly at times before he was injured, the defense always had to respect not just his arm, but how likely he was to test it on any given play. It gave our RB's a lot more room even though he wasn't as good of a QB last year as a weak-armed QB like Pennington. Our ground game really got a boost & it isn't because our primary RB is more talented or explosive than Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams, because he's not at all.

so true, and something the TJ lovers and Favre haters for the most part didn't grasp this past season.

We could end up with a "decent" QB at #17. But how long does it take for that QB to be "decent"? Does it happen as a rookie? Not usually. How about year two? Year three? How long do you keep a learning QB behind center & hamper the offense? These veterans we have now aren't going to stay in (or near) their prime forever. If you take a shot on a rookie QB & give him a couple of years & it still doesn't work out, you just wasted the rest of the team around him that you painstakingly assembled.

Picking up Cutler would be great because the testing and development into a pro qb was done on someone else's dime. While we changed defense to a 3-4, and brought in some great first round talent in Mangold, Revis, Keller, and Brick, Cutler was on another team learing the rookie ropes of the game. Also, had we drafted Cutler we most likely would not have had anywhere near the line we do now with a great mix of old and new talent, and what good would it have been to his development to have cutler behind a crap line. I would venture to say having passed on Cutler in the beginning then getting him 3 seasons in with our current team for the price of 2 first rounders would be a much better decision then having drafted him outright.

"he's our quarterback".

Yeah. For now. That is like saying Tim Geitner is the Treasury Secretary. The question in both cases is for how long?

Hey, didn't you hear, someone turned the lightswitch on in the back of his head today and they finally addressed the real issues.

lol, he is still a gonner though i hope.

so true, and something the TJ lovers and Favre haters for the most part didn't grasp this past season.

Picking up Cutler would be great because the testing and development into a pro qb was done on someone else's dime. While we changed defense to a 3-4, and brought in some great first round talent in Mangold, Revis, Keller, and Brick, Cutler was on another team learing the rookie ropes of the game. Also, had we drafted Cutler we most likely would not have had anywhere near the line we do now with a great mix of old and new talent, and what good would it have been to his development to have cutler behind a crap line. I would venture to say having passed on Cutler in the beginning then getting him 3 seasons in with our current team for the price of 2 first rounders would be a much better decision then having drafted him outright.

For all you know, had we drafted him instead of D'Brick in 2006, his career would have ended or had a serious setback with a bad injury in that 2007 season.

NFL.com is reporting that Broncos coach Josh McDaniels sat down with NFL Network’s Scott Hanson on Monday at the NFL Annual Meeting and spoke about … Jay Cutler.

“He’s our quarterback,” McDaniels told Hanson in an exclusive interview that will air Monday night on NFL Total Access (7 p.m. ET).

McDaniels went on to say, “we need to keep the line of communication open” with Cutler, who asked to be traded last week after becoming upset over the team trying to trade him without his knowledge.

Woody Johnson in November of 2005: "Herm is our head coach."

Eric Mangini on October 28, 2007: "Chad is our quarterback."

Lovie Smith in the 2007 off-season: "Rex is our quarterback."

McDaniels should shut up for a change...and give us his 25 year-old pro bowl QB.

I'd say the Jets have about a 20% chance of pulling the Cutler deal off. At this point I just wish we'd get to find out whether we do or not. It got to be a big distraction to Clemens and Ratliff and not good for either one's confidence-make the offer and if they like it then send him east or if not let us all know b/c this is starting to get real old-real fast

I'd say the Jets have about a 20% chance of pulling the Cutler deal off. At this point I just wish we'd get to find out whether we do or not. It got to be a big distraction to Clemens and Ratliff and not good for either one's confidence-make the offer and if they like it then send him east or if not let us all know b/c this is starting to get real old-real fast

50% chance...hoping Bronzey seals the deal:D

I saw the interview.

McDaniels, while saying that Cutler was his QB right now, also stated that he can't predict what will happen in the future.

Translation: The statement "He's our QB" means nothing.

Yep. Then Mort said McDaniels sent Cutler "a text message which has not been returned". That's a hell of a way to deal with a multi-million dollar player in the NFL. Hell, even I've had about 5 calls directly relating to " will the Jets get Cutler". The least this douche could do is call the ****ing guy.

For all you know, had we drafted him instead of D'Brick in 2006, his career would have ended or had a serious setback with a bad injury in that 2007 season.

spermanator;

I'd like your feedback on an angle to the cutler dealio;

"would he fit in with what Ryan is trying to accomplish as far as how the jets will be structured to win games ?"

my point being his laser focus on defense and special teams this offseason leads me to believe he is going with the pitts and balt style where you may be looking at 17 pass attempts in a winning effort, where the idea is for the defesne and ST to give the offense a short field, and the offense is more or less a running attack with some PA mixed in

would it make sense to trade 2 #1's (and probably more) for a gunslinger good for 1 turover a game, when a low turnover, high efficiency game manager would do the trick ?

it seems like an odd marriage to me, like santana moss and pennington

spermanator;

I'd like your feedback on an angle to the cutler dealio;

"would he fit in with what Ryan is trying to accomplish as far as how the jets will be structured to win games ?"

my point being his laser focus on defense and special teams this offseason leads me to believe he is going with the pitts and balt style where you may be looking at 17 pass attempts in a winning effort, where the idea is for the defesne and ST to give the offense a short field, and the offense is more or less a running attack with some PA mixed in

would it make sense to trade 2 #1's (and probably more) for a gunslinger good for 1 turover a game, when a low turnover, high efficiency game manager would do the trick ?

it seems like an odd marriage to me, like santana moss and pennington

that is SJ's concern as well...

IMO the Raven model only worked once and has one of the best evah

defenses evah.

Cutler would make Rex's job much easier and we will win a SB in 3 years

I guarantee it.

LOL. Wow, is McDaniels a cluster f**k, or what? Can you imagine the fans out in Denver. Wait until this plays out and the Broncos go 6-10 or worse. You think Mangini got torched? Wait.

I said it when this disaster started weeks ago.

The guy is a complete imbecile.

LOL. Wow, is McDaniels a cluster f**k, or what? Can you imagine the fans out in Denver. Wait until this plays out and the Broncos go 6-10 or worse. You think Mangini got torched? Wait.

My daughter's roomie from Denver, her Dad is giving back season tickets

if Jay is not retained

Denver radio is all over this arrogant prick..that being Joshie:D

Archived