My Choice @ #17 (IF he's still there)

SoFlaJets

If he's there at 17, I'd make one call to the Eagles, to see what I could get for the pick, and then I'd draft him.

No doubt.

We need a WR, but in this scenario, forget it. Knowshon is not only a great RB, but he's a local kid as well.

The only "wow" I notice here is "wow, I expected some more impressive stuff from a guy who is expected to be a first round draft pick"

Once you get past the majority of plays that were run through enormous running lanes (before being tackled by the first defender he met), I saw maybe two plays in all of those clips where he might be able to do that against NFL players & we'd watch & say, "I'm glad we drafted this guy."

That running, stopping, changing direction, and running the other way stuff looks great in college. He won't be able to do that in the NFL. In terms of speed, he's a fat old lady compared to Reggie Bush & Reggie Bush can't do that at the NFL level. Defenses are bigger, stronger, faster, and better-coached in the pro's. The "I'm going to go left 15 yards instead because the whole defense is on the right side of the field" crap only works at the college level.

I see a RB who, while he's not afraid of contact, is not breaking tackles of defenders who are slower, smaller, less talented, and who play with worse technique than their NFL counterparts.

Two spin moves and two broken tackles in a highlight reel of some 50 plays doesn't make me say, "Wow - we have to get this guy." He does have a pretty quick first-cut, and that's not nothing, but he won't get that "whoops" standstill from a pro linebacker with the same effect. Plus there will still be another defender in position to make a play 2 yards away anyhow.

He looks like he'll be a very ordinary "takes what the OL gives him" RB. Nothing wrong with that, but I will be pissed if we take him #17. I saw very little, if anything, that we couldn't find in the middle rounds. And this was a damn highlight reel. If someone wants to find better highlights - IMPRESSIVE highlights where he's doing great things he's likely to be able to do vs NFL defenders - post them in here. Color me unimpressed so far.

The only "wow" I notice here is "wow, I expected some more impressive stuff from a guy who is expected to be a first round draft pick"

Once you get past the majority of plays that were run through enormous running lanes (before being tackled by the first defender he met), I saw maybe two plays in all of those clips where he might be able to do that against NFL players & we'd watch & say, "I'm glad we drafted this guy."

That running, stopping, changing direction, and running the other way stuff looks great in college. He won't be able to do that in the NFL. In terms of speed, he's a fat old lady compared to Reggie Bush & Reggie Bush can't do that at the NFL level. Defenses are bigger, stronger, faster, and better-coached in the pro's. The "I'm going to go left 15 yards instead because the whole defense is on the right side of the field" crap only works at the college level.

I see a RB who, while he's not afraid of contact, is not breaking tackles of defenders who are slower, smaller, less talented, and who play with worse technique than their NFL counterparts.

Two spin moves and two broken tackles in a highlight reel of some 50 plays doesn't make me say, "Wow - we have to get this guy." He does have a pretty quick first-cut, and that's not nothing, but he won't get that "whoops" standstill from a pro linebacker with the same effect. Plus there will still be another defender in position to make a play 2 yards away anyhow.

He looks like he'll be a very ordinary "takes what the OL gives him" RB. Nothing wrong with that, but I will be pissed if we take him #17. I saw very little, if anything, that we couldn't find in the middle rounds. And this was a damn highlight reel. If someone wants to find better highlights - IMPRESSIVE highlights where he's doing great things he's likely to be able to do vs NFL defenders - post them in here. Color me unimpressed so far.

Thank you!

I've been saying that all along with Moreno. Yeah he can make a few guys miss but he won't be doing what he does in college. His speed is far from special, he won't run away from defenders at the next level IMO. Never understood the hype around him.

Beanie Wells out of Ohio state, he is MUCH more impressive:

HeMxWcHlSzA

Excellent points.

I'm also not really enamored with Moreno. I guess he could be a good back because he has nice vision and is pretty good between the tackles and has solid enough tools, but I don't see anything special about him. He is in no may a must take at 17 and I'd be annoyed if we did. RB isn't as big a weakness as other positions and he's not so great that his talent trumps our other needs.

He will be there at 17 unless one of the Top 16 teams surprises and takes a Running Back. I can't see a RB going until Philadelphia at 21 and Knowshon is 10x the back that Bust Wells is. He would be a solid selection with Jones' age and contract situation, but we cannot pass up on one of the elite WR's if by chance they are there for Knowshon.

He will be there at 17 unless one of the Top 16 teams surprises and takes a Running Back. I can't see a RB going until Philadelphia at 21 and Knowshon is 10x the back that Bust Wells is. He would be a solid selection with Jones' age and contract situation, but we cannot pass up on one of the elite WR's if by chance they are there for Knowshon.

Laughable.

Can you give a reason?

Of course you want Moreno. Your ideal RB is another ball-hog stat compiler who doesn't do anything special with his feet, break tackles, or power through defenders, and who gets people to believe he's being a selfless team player by not sitting out a game or two with a pair of sprained ankles.

10 yard hole = 10 yard gain.

1 yard hole = 1 yard gain.

No hole = no gain

And no hole is big enough for a 50 yard gain unless defenders trip on their own feet.

You don't need to burn a mid first round pick to get that.

+1

Moreno is essentially another TJ. Will pick up yardage behind a very gool OL, can find the endzone and is a willing blocker. However, he goes down on 1st contact, won't make anybody miss, won't outrun anybody, and isn't what you look for when spending a 1st round pick on a RB.

Nobody thinks TJ is overly talented. Nobody here would spend a 1st round pick on TJ. Moreno is nothing special. His athletic ability is nowhere near Chris Wells.

Just say no to Moreno at 17.

meh

neither guy really jumps off the screen at me

if they are the BAP at 17 according to the jets board, fine, but please don't reach for these guys tanny, there will be guys just like them next year when you will need a replacement for TJ who can step in and start week 1

I mean it's one of three players...

Mark Sanchez, Heyward-Bey or Nicks

Suprise picks could be Vontae Davis; Tyson Jackson, Trade Up, Trade Down

Pretty sure those are our options...granted not too much more narrowed than anyone else's, but I think for the Jets at #17 this is the scenario come draft day.

If he's there at 17, I'd make one call to the Eagles, to see what I could get for the pick, and then I'd draft him.

No doubt.

We need a WR, but in this scenario, forget it. Knowshon is not only a great RB, but he's a local kid as well.

Paybacks a beatch isn't it ? :biggrin:

10 yard hole = 10 yard gain.

1 yard hole = 1 yard gain.

No hole = no gain

And no hole is big enough for a 50 yard gain unless defenders trip on their own feet.

You don't need to burn a mid first round pick to get that.

So many truly great running backs were taken after the 1st round. I can't see wasting a 1st rounder on ANY RB in this years draft.

I think Beenie wells is better... Hes almost as big as jacobs... but much faster and very strong...I think he will be a good pro..

Why are we fighting about which running back to pick?

"Thomas Jones needs more carries to get in a groove." "Leon Washington is our best playmaker, we need to get him more touches." Yep, let's pick a RB! The team has only one starting WR and possibly no starting TE and the coach loves D.

"Thomas Jones needs more carries to get in a groove." "Leon Washington is our best playmaker, we need to get him more touches." Yep, let's pick a RB! The team has only one starting WR and possibly no starting TE and the coach loves D.

Backs are probably the most interesting guys to talk about with regards to the draft for whatever reason....

We have no starting Te? what ya forgot about Dusin Keller?

Archived