Welcome to New York Mark Sanchez

SUorangefootball

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too early and to much to give for a gamble. a move like that is made ,if its for an Elway or a Peyton. No wonder the JETS havent been to a superbowl in 40 years, they dont know what they are doing and they been pissing away there draft picks to move up a couple of slots for past 3 years. The draft is how u build a championship team,giving them away makes it harder to be champions.

I remember SoFla pointing it out - Even before the draft he was talking up the Jets in interviews. I like the fact that he WANTS to play for the Jets. That was someting that I sure as Hell never saw with Brett Favre.

I also like the fact that he put on his Jets cap before his pick was even announced. That has to be a first. :D

Mike T is great at contracts, the cap and trades. He SUCKS at 1st round talent. Mangold being the only exception. We just drafted a solid BUST! 40+ years of this!!! When will it change. We were so close. We will lose and lose a great coach in Ryan. Mark my words... Next year had some good QB's and probably with a new NFL bargin agreement in place so they would have been much cheaper. He will probably get 6 yrs with huge garenteed money. Namath, Look what you turned me into. A Punished Jets Fan!!! PS. Ryan was the only QB that I was wrong about in the past decade... I would love to be wrong again but to confirm I'm not the Jets drafted him...

I don't know why I do this and I really don't know what to think of what either of our teams did today, but I found this article from this year's combine interesting and thought i'd share it with my friends.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Musings, observations and the occasional insight as we wrap up Money Day at the NFL Scouting Combine, the day the quarterbacks show their stuff (at least the ones who deem to work out) ...

Mike T is great at contracts, the cap and trades. He SUCKS at 1st round talent. Mangold being the only exception. We just drafted a solid BUST! 40+ years of this!!! When will it change. We were so close. We will lose and lose a great coach in Ryan. Mark my words... Next year had some good QB's and probably with a new NFL bargin agreement in place so they would have been much cheaper. He will probably get 6 yrs with huge garenteed money. Namath, Look what you turned me into. A Punished Jets Fan!!! PS. Ryan was the only QB that I was wrong about in the past decade... I would love to be wrong again but to confirm I'm not the Jets drafted him...

D'Brick is a bust?

Man, crack kills.

Darrelle Revis a bust?

lol

pat white is a gimmick player

too bad the NFL has had an off season to get up to speed on the wildcat

next season if you run the wildcat, the QB gets crushed. legally, of course

pat white = brad smith

so we went out and got a real QB ;)

pat white....lol. he's a much less talented mike vick. except he probly shouldn't even try to be a qb in the nfl. you'll be lucky if he does what brad smith has done for us...oh, and they reached to take him.

But he does like dogs.

Like I said, I have no idea what to think about the pick. I initially hated it and still kind of do, but, he is also a WR, and if he takes the snaps in the wildcat teams have to gameplan for an actual QB throwing and not just Ronnie Brown (even though his passes are a thing of beauty). He is also a good runner, his stats from last year are pretty sick, he put up 200 yards rushing in 1 game as a QB.

I like the Sanchez pick for you guys, I hope it works.

Like I said, I have no idea what to think about the pick. I initially hated it and still kind of do, but, he is also a WR, and if he takes the snaps in the wildcat teams have to gameplan for an actual QB throwing and not just Ronnie Brown (even though his passes are a thing of beauty). He is also a good runner, his stats from last year are pretty sick, he put up 200 yards rushing in 1 game as a QB.

I like the Sanchez pick for you guys, I hope it works.

yeah but you come with this BS pat white>sanchez insinuation. it's a joke. the wildcat will be nowhere near as effective this year. plenty of film and time to break it down now.

yeah but you come with this BS pat white>sanchez insinuation. it's a joke. the wildcat will be nowhere near as effective this year. plenty of film and time to break it down now.

We'll see.

We've been beefing up the o-line during the off season and that will help the wildcat alot. Harbaugh said last month that they were able to stop us because they didn't fear us passing at all, so they could just crowd the line and move the safety's up. If we have a legit passing threat teams have to play us differently. Not to mention, every team we play this year will have to gameplan for 2 qb's.

We'll see.

We've been beefing up the o-line during the off season and that will help the wildcat alot. Harbaugh said last month that they were able to stop us because they didn't fear us passing at all, so they could just crowd the line and move the safety's up. If we have a legit passing threat teams have to play us differently. Not to mention, every team we play this year will have to gameplan for 2 qb's.

2 QBs?

Looking at your roster, I still don't see one.

D'Brick is a bust?

Man, crack kills.

Yes he's a bust. He can't run block. He's not a complete LT. That's what you draft for a LT that high. He's the worst LT drafted 1st in the recent few years. I'd trade him for thomas or Long in a heartbeat. And last year they weren't rushing him as much trying to stay away from Fanica. He's the only LT I've ever seen in the NFL were people were using the excuse that he sucked because the LG sucked. So yes, I consider him a bust being that he was draft so high.

Darrelle Revis a bust?

No, I stand corrected. He is awesome! He was the player that I wanted that year. I'm just completely pissed off that we drafted this guy. I would had been just as upset if we drafted him in the 2nd like we did Clem. Now I pray that Clem, Who I have rooted for, I just thought he wouldn't make it, will come out kicking ass this year so that we can trade Dirty Bust before other teams catch on. My God why couldn't they wait until next year!

No, I stand corrected. He is awesome! He was the player that I wanted that year. I'm just completely pissed off that we drafted this guy. I would had been just as upset if we drafted him in the 2nd like we did Clem. Now I pray that Clem, Who I have rooted for, I just thought he wouldn't make it, will come out kicking ass this year so that we can trade Dirty Bust before other teams catch on. My God why couldn't they wait until next year!

You dont build a team around someone like Kellen Clemens. Dirty Sanchez will be awesome!

Yes he's a bust. He can't run block. He's not a complete LT. That's what you draft for a LT that high. He's the worst LT drafted 1st in the recent few years. I'd trade him for thomas or Long in a heartbeat. And last year they weren't rushing him as much trying to stay away from Fanica. He's the only LT I've ever seen in the NFL were people were using the excuse that he sucked because the LG sucked. So yes, I consider him a bust being that he was draft so high.

D'Brick is an outstanding LT, you have no idea what you're talking about.

We'll see.

they're still not gonna be too scared of passing. white's gonna get creamed when he tries to run. like i said a hell of alot less threatening version of mike vick.

Jets get their franchise quarterback

Sanchez was regarded by some as a better prospect than Matthew Stafford

sanchez.jpg

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) -- Mark Sanchez made no guarantees. The New York Jets' newest quarterback knew better.

No bold declarations for a franchise that's been hungry for a Super Bowl trip since the days of Joe Namath.

"I can't promise we're going to win the division," Sanchez said Saturday after the Jets made the former Southern California star the No. 5 overall pick following a trade with Cleveland. "I can't promise we're going to win the Super Bowl and I'm going to be the MVP of the league.

"All I can promise is that I'm going to work hard."

And that works just fine for the Jets, who solved their quarterback question with one giant leap up the draft board from the 17th overall pick.

"When Mark was available at No. 5, we did what was in the best interest of the New York Jets," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said.

The Jets acquired the pick from Cleveland and former coach Eric Mangini for their first-round pick, their second-round (No. 52), and defensive end Kenyon Coleman, safety Abram Elam and quarterback Brett Ratliff. It turned out to be the Jets' only pick of day, but it was a biggie.

Owner Woody Johnson announced the news on his Twitter page, saying: "We have selected Mark Sanchez. Go Jets." Kicker Jay Feely also tweeted: "Great trade for the Jets!! To only give up our first and second this year to get the fifth pick."

Many Jets fans at the draft site at Radio City Music Hall cheered wildly, while some bemoaned giving up what in effect will be five players for one.

"Well, I think if Mr. Tannenbaum and Mr. Johnson think I'm worth it, that's great," Sanchez said. "I'm excited about the faith they have in me. Of course, you need to prove them right, and that comes with being the first guy on the practice field and being the last guy to leave."

Sanchez, with his powerful and accurate arm and excellent field vision, will immediately compete for the starting job with Kellen Clemens. The Southern California native arrives a season after Brett Favre came out of retirement, but struggled down the stretch as the Jets went 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

"The only thing I can say to that is I've never grown up dreaming of being a backup," Sanchez said. "That's what it's all about, and I'm sure Kellen Clemens feels the same way and that's what this position is all about is competing for your job and that's all I know how to do. It'll be a great matchup for us."

The pick was the first for new coach Rex Ryan, who repeatedly declared his confidence in Clemens and Brett Ratliff this offseason but believed Sanchez was too good a talent to pass up. The Jets' fondness for him only grew after seeing him at a private workout at Mission Viejo High School in California in March.

"We saw the great feet, the poise and how confident he was," Ryan said. "Brian (Schottenheimer) put him through every workout known to man and he passed every one of them with flying colors. We knew, I think, right then that this was the guy we really wanted."

Sanchez was considered by some to be an even greater talent than Georgia's Matthew Stafford, who went No. 1 overall to the Detroit Lions, but some teams were wary of his lack of experience. Not the Jets, who saw enough in his 16 starts with the Trojans to make them believe he could be the leader of the franchise.

"We wouldn't have traded up for Mark if we didn't think he had the ability to compete for the starting position," Ryan said, adding that Sanchez practiced daily against several outstanding defensive players, including first-rounders Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews.

Sanchez said he was pleasantly surprised when he studied the Jets' playbook during his workout with them and noticed strong similarities to USC's offense. That could bode well for New York after Sanchez threw for 3,965 yards and 41 touchdowns and excelled in the Trojans' system despite having just one year as a starter after sitting at USC behind John David Booty.

He won the job last season and led the Trojans to a victory over Penn State in the Rose Bowl, passing for 413 yards and earning offensive MVP honors. Sanchez opted to forgo his final year of college eligibility, and became the first quarterback the Jets selected in the first round since Chad Pennington went 18th overall in 2000.

Sanchez also believes he's prepared for the scrutiny of playing in New York, and for a franchise that hasn't played in a Super Bowl since Namath led the Jets to the title in 1969.

"The kind of pressure, you expect that," he said. "As a quarterback, that's what you signed up for. I learned how to compete and deal with pressure at 'SC and in a large media market in Los Angeles, and things are only going to be bigger and better."

Pretty cool to have the AFC's leading rusher, NFL's 5th, with 4.5 yards per carry and 13 TDs. Along with a top 10 overall team in rushing, all with a bust at the most important position on the line.

i think mangenius just robbed Tanntumbum blind!

At 1st glance this afternoon, I thought the same thing.

Then I let my emotions calm down & thought about what we really gave up & what we could have given up...

• We traded up from 17th overall to 5th
  • We gave up our 2009 Second round pick (#52 overall)
  • We traded 3 players
    • DE Kenyon Coleman - an 8-year vet.

• Led Jets D-linemen in 2007 with career-high 90 tackles and established personal best with 14 starts in first season as full-time starter
      • Sacked Donovan McNabb for first sack as a Jet in Game 6 vs. PHI.
      • Recorded career highs of 12 tackles and eight solos in first game as a Jet in 2007 season opener vs. NE.
      • Played in one postseason game (DAL, 2006), recording four tackles.

[*]QB Brett Ratliff - a 2nd year vet.

• Signed by Jets to reserve/future contract 1/15/08.
      • Signed by Jets to practice squad 9/3/07.
      • Waived by Jets 9/1/07.
      • Signed by Jets as rookie FA 5/12/07.

[*]QB Abram Elam - a 4-year vet.

• Totaled eight tackles with career-high seven solos and three PD in Week 11 at DAL.
      • Recorded career-high 12 tackles (six solos) in Week 9 vs. WAS.
      • Made first NFL start and led Jets with 10 tackles in Week 7 at CIN.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am just as upset over loosing Ratliff as many of you. However, based on Sanchez's strengths (high motivator & has strong accuracy in the short & middle throw), it's no wonder many NFL teams had him high beyond 5 on their boards.

Also, if any of you stayed to watch the 2nd round, you would have discovered how not so deep this draft is. So beyond the 1st 3 QB's, there really wasn't any major player that could possibly been considered a "FRANCHISE."

And that's this Baumerjet's story!

This team is built to win in the next few years. How long before this joke of a QB is ready? Pete Carroll knew it. It won't be for another 2-3 years. Awesome.

Yeah you know Pete Carroll is a great NFL talent evaluator and coach...

He doesnt know **** about how Sanchez will do in the NFL...

Archived