Clemens Over Sanchez??? Seriously?

The Gun Of Bavaria

remember Flacco was being beaten out by troy smith b4 he got sick

Sanchez will be the starter

I was kind of joking with that comment.

Flacco was incredibly impressive in his camp though - I remember this time last season hearing from Raven fans how he was really tearing it up. I really think the Ravens wanted to sit him but he was playing so well in camp that I think that he was going to start sooner or later. One criticism of him throughout last season though was that he locked in on Derrick Mason too much but I guess when it's not Britt Davis, it doesn't matter.:winking0001:

BTW if the Ravens had Matt Ryan playing QB for them last season, they probably would have gone to and won the SB. He was just amazing for a rookie. Best since Marino.

Yeah, I know it's early, but from what I'm reading, there is no question that the powers to be within the Jets coaching staff seem to be operating under the preconceived notion that Clemens is going to be their starting QB on game day.

they are making sanchez earn his reps, plain and simple.

I like it. and the vets like it

If Sanchez is the guy that's going to "lead this team to a Super Bowl", and they're going to sit Sanchez for the year, the first year this team might sniff the playoffs is the 2011-2012 season.

I refuse to believe that spending a year on the sidelines, watching Kellen Happy Feet Clemens dance around the pocket, is going to "mature" him.

The guy has 16 effing starts under his belt since the Grover Cleveland administration for crying out loud, how can him going out there and starting be harmful?

Once again some Jet fans just need someone to play like Joe Montana in his first 8 starts, or else he sucks.

If Mark Sanchez isn't better than 3-5, like Clemens was in 2007 with a WORSE TEAM than the 2009 Jets, he shall be dubbed a bust and the ultimate SUCK. Because, clearly, at JetNation, that is the logic. Nevermind the way he played in the second half of the Raven game, the entire Washington & Pittsburgh games. Nevermind that!

You must be Montana, Unitas or Brady in your first 8 games or else you're garbage.

Pat, did you ever stop and think about he had "Happy Feet" (which I didn't see at all) because the Offensive Line was complete GARBAGE at protecting him? He HAD to run for his freakin' life behind that unit, it was pathetic. He had zero running game and in most of his starts Laveraunes Coles either didn't play or played one series and left the game in favor of Brad Smith.

I am so tired of the Clemens hatred I can't wait until the games start.

Pat, did you ever stop and think about he had "Happy Feet" (which I didn't see at all) because the Offensive Line was complete GARBAGE at protecting him? He HAD to run for his freakin' life behind that unit, it was pathetic.

Pissing off Pete Kendall proved disastrous.

You must be Montana, Unitas or Brady in your first 8 games or else you're garbage.

Montana went 2-6 in his first 8 games.

Unitas went 3-4 in his first 7 games and threw more int than tds. (not sure if game 8 was a W or an L)

Peyton Manning went 3-13 his first season.

Brady was a bit better he went 4-3 in his first 7..... Then won the next 12 in a row.

Montana went 2-6 in his first 8 games.

Unitas went 3-4 in his first 7 games and threw more int than tds. (not sure if game 8 was a W or an L)

Peyton Manning went 3-13 his first season.

Brady was a bit better he went 4-3 in his first 7..... Then won the next 12 in a row.

Dude, are you really that simple?

I'm not saying anything about those 3 guys' first 8 starts in the league.

I'm saying the Jet fans here need them to be like Montana, Unitas and Brady when they were great, or in Brady's case he still is great, or else they suck.

Jet fans on this site need to see you win 6-8 games in those first 8 starts with 15 touchdowns and 3 or 4 Intercepionts or else you suck.

Has NOTHING to do with how those players did in their first 8 stats. It has EVERYTHING to do with how those players ended their careers. It isn't a hard concept to follow. You post here.

If you don't play like the great Joe Montana (the great one, you know, the only one that people remember) in your first 8 starts/first season starting, you SUCK on JetNation.

Couldn't disagree more.

Starting Sanchez is the move that risks setting this team back years, not sitting him..

I bet that Clemens does ok this year and we get something for him.

He would become a RFA after this season so we would have to resign him to get something for him, depending on the tendered tag he would receive. For instance if he receives a 1st & 3rd round tender, nobody is giving that up for him. So we could do a sign & trade for a 3rd with someone, if he can show something.

Or, we can just trade Sanchez. ;)

Yeah, I know it's early, but from what I'm reading, there is no question that the powers to be within the Jets coaching staff seem to be operating under the preconceived notion that Clemens is going to be their starting QB on game day.

Relax.

Ryan was quoted today about getting Sanchez more work with the 1's. Schottenheimer's probably more comfortable with Clemens running his offense -at least to open the season- but the head coach comes from much bolder stock. Sanchez will at least have the opportunity to impress the big man. Nothing's decided yet.

Dude, are you really that simple?

I'm not saying anything about those 3 guys' first 8 starts in the league.

I'm saying the Jet fans here need them to be like Montana, Unitas and Brady when they were great, or in Brady's case he still is great, or else they suck.

Jet fans on this site need to see you win 6-8 games in those first 8 starts with 15 touchdowns and 3 or 4 Intercepionts or else you suck.

Has NOTHING to do with how those players did in their first 8 stats. It has EVERYTHING to do with how those players ended their careers. It isn't a hard concept to follow. You post here.

If you don't play like the great Joe Montana in your first 8 starts/first season starting, you SUCK on JetNation.

I was actually trying to backup your point. Although my post appears to contridict you, I am actually pointing out that Montana, Manning and Unitas didn't look much better than Clemens when they started either.

I was actually trying to backup your point. Although my post appears to contridict you, I am actually pointing out that Montana, Manning and Unitas didn't look much better than Clemens when they started either.

C'mon, this is JetNation, Kellen Clemens sucks donkey balls. He couldn't get it done with a horrible Offensive unit. I mean, forget the fact he went 3-4 in the 7 games he played more than 1 series in (you remember the Pats game where we lost but he only played 3 plays so techinically he's 3-5 as a starter). And hey, Chad went 1-8. But forget that!

He sucks! :eek:

Got I hate Clemens doubters. Doubt him when he's had a few seasons of starts, not 8 starts.

Once again some Jet fans just need someone to play like Joe Montana in his first 8 starts, or else he sucks.

If Mark Sanchez isn't better than 3-5, like Clemens was in 2007 with a WORSE TEAM than the 2009 Jets, he shall be dubbed a bust and the ultimate SUCK. Because, clearly, at JetNation, that is the logic. Nevermind the way he played in the second half of the Raven game, the entire Washington & Pittsburgh games. Nevermind that!

Say's the guy that bashed Big Ben his entire career so far. Given the choice between Ben and your current QB situation (not knowing if Sanchez will pan out), i'm betting you'd tak Ben in a heartbeat but won't admit it. ;)

Got I hate Clemens doubters. Doubt him when he's had a few seasons of starts, not 8 starts.

It may be unfair to write him off completely, but it's completely fair to doubt him.

Given the QB trades the Jets have made the last two years, it seems pretty obvious that the front office doubts Kellen, too.

You should be doubting someone before a few seasons of starts. After a few seasons you should have a good picture of his abilities and rationally decide how he'll be from there. Right now we have no idea how he'll do. You can doubt or praised him for his perceived strengths or weaknesses.

If you don't play like the great Joe Montana (the great one, you know, the only one that people remember) in your first 8 starts/first season starting, you SUCK on JetNation.

Some Patriot fans are the same. Many wanted Cassel benched last season and some out of work Vet brought in.

If Sanchez is the guy that's going to "lead this team to a Super Bowl", and they're going to sit Sanchez for the year, the first year this team might sniff the playoffs is the 2011-2012 season.

I refuse to believe that spending a year on the sidelines, watching Kellen Happy Feet Clemens dance around the pocket, is going to "mature" him.

The guy has 16 effing starts under his belt since the Grover Cleveland administration for crying out loud, how can him going out there and starting be harmful?

A few reasons:

1) Why risk injury if he isn't ready?

2) A Quarterback can develop without starting. And it doesn't take a great QB in front of you, either.

3) If Sanchez loses three games or more in the first half of the season, the bust-mobile will be in full motion. Expect 99% of fans to totally give up on him in this scenario.

4) Sending him out there without any help might kill his confidence, as it apparently did to Clemens.

Good posts in the thread by the Pats guys, btw.

In my opinion, based on what I've seen, it would be inhumane to start Sanchez right now. He just is so clearly not ready to play that starting Clemens is really the only option. I believe this to the degree that I will honestly say that, in the event that Clemens gets injured (God forbid), that Ainge should get the ensuing starts over Sanchez until Sanchez is ready, which might not be this year.

As for Clemens, he has been mistake prone from what I've witnessed, and the picks he's thrown (that I've seen) have generally been of the Vinny Testaverde kind where he just seems to fire the ball right into the hands of the defense for no apparent reason. But, Clemens is streaky, and when he's on he can deliver the ball into tight spots as well as any NFL QB going right now. He may never be great, but he's good enough to start for a team that has no real Super Bowl aspirations right now.

Sanchez needs to work on his body, and he needs to learn what an NFL game looks like before he actually steps onto the field. Imagine going from USC, where your receivers were better than the oppositions corners by light years, to the Jets, whose WR's are all primarily special teams guys. True, he would probably benefit from getting more snaps with the first team, but it appears that his learning curve is just SO steep right now that even if you wanted him to learn the NFL game by throwing him to the wolves, he is just too far behind in his development to even be a BAD NFL QB right now: he has to be viewed as a project whose confidence, and body, has to be protected from getting crushed.

Let me put it this way: If you were in a coma and did not know anything about the Jets' draft this year, and you came to a summer camp practice and were told that one of these QB's was the sixth overall pick, you would think they were talking about Erik Ainge.

Not for nothing but anybody who wakes up from a coma and has any desire to go to Cortland NY, well that person needs to be put back in a coma.

Couldn't disagree more.

Starting Sanchez is the move that risks setting this team back years, not sitting him..

I bet that Clemens does ok this year and we get something for him.

I think that is right on the money.

Start or Sit. You have QB's that have done it either way

As Sperm pointed out you have guys like Brady, McNabb, Kenny O'Brien who sat for a year and turned out to be very good if not great QB's

You also have guys like Browning Nagle who sat and then when given the keys, crashed and burned.

On the other hand you have guys like Manning, Elway, Aikman who started right away, took their lumps but became great QB's.

Then you have guys like David Carr who started, crashed and burned.

I think it depends on the QB and the state of the franchise. If you are the Falcons last year coming off an abysmal season with the Michael Vick situation and the whole Bobby Petrino debacle they needed to just wipe the board clean and start over just to give the fanbase some hope. I think you will see that with the Lions this year with Stafford.

Will he be great ? Probably not at the start but I can pretty much assure you the Lions won't be 0-16 this year. They need something, anything to build on.

I have been one of Clemens' harshest critics but the thing have come to like about the guy is that he is starting to take over the team and act like the leader out there. Act like he is the starting QB. Alot of young QB's who have been anointed "The future" and then see the team bring in Brett Favre and then the next year trade up for Sanchez would have hung their heads and figured that I guess they don't really think much of me. Instead he has taken the challenge and is at least trying to make a statement.

I like that.

And I would bet you that the vets on this team like that type of character as well.

He might not win thet starting job. But only good can come from it. If he does well it ups his trade value or he might actually turn into something.

Let this thing play out and let's see what happens.

I think that is right on the money.

Start or Sit. You have QB's that have done it either way

As Sperm pointed out you have guys like Brady, McNabb, Kenny O'Brien who sat for a year and turned out to be very good if not great QB's

You also have guys like Browning Nagle who sat and then when given the keys, crashed and burned.

On the other hand you have guys like Manning, Elway, Aikman who started right away, took their lumps but became great QB's.

Then you have guys like David Carr who started, crashed and burned.

I think it depends on the QB and the state of the franchise. If you are the Falcons last year coming off an abysmal season with the Michael Vick situation and the whole Bobby Petrino debacle they needed to just wipe the board clean and start over just to give the fanbase some hope. I think you will see that with the Lions this year with Stafford.

Will he be great ? Probably not at the start but I can pretty much assure you the Lions won't be 0-16 this year. They need something, anything to build on.

I have been one of Clemens' harshest critics but the thing have come to like about the guy is that he is starting to take over the team and act like the leader out there. Act like he is the starting QB. Alot of young QB's who have been anointed "The future" and then see the team bring in Brett Favre and then the next year trade up for Sanchez would have hung their heads and figured that I guess they don't really think much of me. Instead he has taken the challenge and is at least trying to make a statement.

I like that.

And I would bet you that the vets on this team like that type of character as well.

He might not win thet starting job. But only good can come from it. If he does well it ups his trade value or he might actually turn into something.

Let this thing play out and let's see what happens.

I don't think the question for Rex ought be, "will starting Sanchez hurt or help his developement?" but rather "which QB gives me the best chance to win the AFCE in 2009?"

First off, there is enough antidocal evidence of QBs who started their rookie year and did well, and those who started and were busts along with guys who started year 2 or 3 and were good, and those who sat and were then busts to make any real conclution on which is better for QB developement.

But more importantly, if you concluded that Clemens gives the team the best chance to win in 2009 AND that starting Sanchez will help Sanchez develop for the future and you go with Sanchez you are basically conceeding 2009. That won't motivate the rest of the team, and Rex might as well just drive to Foxoboro and kiss the rings.

Thats why I dont like posting on NE boards.

This isn't specific to just the jets and the pats.One of the worst things about the internet is that it gives idiots a voice.Every message board will have fans that are homers or just talking out their arse.

One of my biggest pet peves is when someone will judge the entire fan base based on the words of an idiot with a keyboard.

Archived