Mark it down: Sanchez has 'it

SoFlaJets

Mark Sanchez knows the odds are stacked against him.

For all of his new-found millions of dollars and for all of his good looks and for all of the potential delicious possibilities the future holds for him on and off the field, he knows none of that means a damn thing unless he plays well and leads the Jets to success.

He, too, knows the dodgy success rate for rookie quarterbacks succeeding in the NFL .

He knows he faces a daunting task.

But there's a distinct it factor that Sanchez possesses that leads you to believe the kid might just make it and make it quickly.

Sure, he's only 22 years old and has started only 16 collegiate games. But the way Sanchez has handled himself since the moment he arrived here -- with a level-headed maturity and with a plan en route to beating out Kellen Clemens for the starting job -- he makes those numbers seem rather irrelevant.

"If you go with just statistics, like Coach [Pete] Carroll said, 'Rookies don't pan out, dude, especially guys coming out early and guys who haven't played in the cold,' if you go with just the stats, then I probably won't make it," Sanchez said.

Sanchez, however, doesn't believe statistics tell the entire story. He bases that not only on his own journey but those of some other famous people he recently read about in Malcolm Gladwell's non-fiction book called "The Outliers."

The Gladwell book examines the unique paths of historic people, such as Microsoft founder Bill Gates and the Beatles and the reasons why they became such profound successes.

"There were all these little things that went into this entire process and I feel like coming to the Jets and working with Coach [Rex] Ryan and the veteran leadership on the team . . . those are all breaks that have gone my way," he said. "They're things that just happened and I'm really thankful for those things."

Sanchez said he's believed since he was a young boy that special things were going to grace his life.

"I felt when I was little that something great was always going to happen," he said. "I just felt like something was going to go right and one of these days I was going to be able to take care of the whole family and go out to nice dinners and buy them nice things and thank all the people that have helped me.

"When I was young I always felt I was going to be a professional athlete; I just knew it, I just felt something," he went on. "I remember even in Pop Warner and how important those games were to me. I don't know when you're 7 or 8 years-old that kids think of games that importantly. They weren't just fun for me; I wanted to win. I wanted to do really well. I wanted to be the team MVP and I wanted to give the speech at the end of the year thanking the coaches."

If it all works out that way for Sanchez this year, it's going to be a special season for the Jets.

The Jets yesterday signed yet another punter, Steven Weatherford, who punted for the Jaguars last season. They released P A.J. Trapasso, whom they claimed on waivers on Sunday.

They, too, announced their eight-man practice squad _ FB Jehuu Caulcrick, CB Emanuel Cook, LB Kenwin Cummings, S Keith Fitzhugh, WR Marcus Henry, DT Matt Kroul, T Ryan McKee and TE Jack Simmons. RB Danny Woodhead, who they wanted to sign to the practice squad, was claimed by another team and not available

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting this, SFJ.

Sanchez is trying to do something unprecedented. No 1st round QB with his few collegiate starts has been a success in the NFL.

Simms said that Sanchez has changed the way he analyzes rookie QBs, so it may be the case. Perhaps Sanchez is a special case which the old paradigm doesn't apply.

He has done very well thus far. Cotchery said that Sanchez improves after every practice and every game. That's a great sign.

I'm excited to see how this all plays out.

He just does the little things... I think thats what people confuse as "it" he moves around well and doesnt keep his arm still...

We will see if he has it when he finally gets a chance to prove it... "it" is more of a mental thing...

Lets see if the JETS go down 10-0 or 14-0 to a team this year if he goes in a shell like Chad or if he can tough it out and put up some points.

He just does the little things... I think thats what people confuse as "it" he moves around well and doesnt keep his arm still...

We will see if he has it when he finally gets a chance to prove it... "it" is more of a mental thing...

Lets see if the JETS go down 10-0 or 14-0 to a team this year if he goes in a shell like Chad or if he can tough it out and put up some points.

that's a great point EC...b/c you KNOW that every team will be coming out gunning to try and test the kid and to neutralize the running game-I've been saying that this will be the gameplan for months

Me too! I'm told that I'm full of it.

;)

good to see you back around LJ

damn! on edit I see that I just missed having 5 dueces for the post count poker thread...it might have gotten me shot, but what a hand

SoFlaJets

2005 Walk-on free agent

vCash: 18537

When I was a little kid, I was sometimes told I was it. The kid would tag me and say "you're it." Then I would go chase down another kid and tag that kid and say "you're it." It was a game. It was fun. We called it tag.

Is little Markie playing tag?

It wasn't half bad til the last line, hoodie.

Thanks, sofla :)

What are you letting the fat girls get on top again? Cutting of the blood to your brain Boopsie, I was agreeing you have it. Though I think you may have just lost it.

No muffin top. I knew you were complimenting me and I was smiling ear to ear when I read it...you know I <3 U...and I thank you for recognizing my "it".

I was trying to make a funny because that upitty bitch EY needs a laugh every once in a while. It helps him with his overall uptight, snot nosed, snobby attitude.

No muffin top. I knew you were complimenting me and I was smiling ear to ear when I read it...you know I <3 U...and I thank you for recognizing my "it".

I was trying to make a funny because that upitty bitch EY needs a laugh every once in a while. It helps him with his overall uptight, snot nosed, snobby attitude.

POTW

I think he's talking about his physique. He's not very big.

Still I think our offensive line can keep him healthy.

Really, he's the same height as Clemens and is actually 4 pounds heavier.

6-2, 225 isn't exactly little. He's 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Leon Washington and I don't hear anyone worrying about Leon's durability.

Archived