Jets Trade with Chargers for CB Cromartie: MERGED

Aten

Yep.

The 2009 Cromartie >>> 2009 Lito. Cro doesn't even need to be as good as 2007 for the Jets to be better on D.

The other thing I said previously was that Cro basically brings that "scoring threat" into play on defense. Revis is the best CB in the game, but he's not a highlight reel CB who will have a ton of pick 6's. That's not him and he doesn't need to be because he just nullifies a teams best player.

We all had hoped Rhodes could approximate that "Ed Reed" role on our D. A guy who's a threat to get the ball and run it back. He's not that and to your point SMC, cause he's not aggressive enough on engaging. Cro on the other hand while a soft tackler is that scoring threat on D. No one is Ed Reed, so I'm not saying ZOMFG HE'S GONNA BE THAT GOOD.

Simply, he presents a new dimension on our defense which is a scoring threat. For all our D's incredible play, we weren't a D that scored points. If you get a couple pick 6's next year you win a few more games. JMO

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Cromartie deal. He shouldn't have to tackle much and he'll be covering #2 WRs. A 2011 pick seems like a steal and I trust an "accountant" to be pretty aware of the potential outcomes for 2011 regarding lockout, salary cap, possible Larry Bird rule, RFA system, etc. He doesn't have to be a great player, just decent and durable. Hell, I'd be okay with having Sheppard back if the guy wasn't always dinged up.

He's a good tackler for a cornerback. All that really entails is keeping contain and wrapping up. It isn't the same thing at all. To save you the time, it doesn't especially matter that he played safety in junior college either. This is simple. Just watch. Does Dwight Lowery look like a safety? Does he play like a safety? We have a role for Lowery and it happens to be the one he's best suited to perform in the NFL. The fourth corner backs up on the outside and at nickel and dime, and those are all very active positions so he's going to get plenty of snaps just subbing in let alone if anybody gets hurt.

There are plenty of reasons to think Lowery can play safety.

Besides JuCo, I think he played some safety in the WAC.

Coming out of college most of the analysts said he might be a better fit at free safety (pretty sure Gil Brandt was one. That versatility is part of the reason the Jets drafted him. He is allegedly one of the best "study" players out there and supposedly knows the responsibility of everybody on D.

I think Mangini used him at safety some his rookie preseason, but that's not saying much. Stuckey played S for Mangini in the preseason too. He ended up playing CB mostly because Miller got hurt and everybody else flat out sucked. Initially Lowery looked very good at CB before his limitations became clear. He may end up being a decent corner. Corey Webster was pretty much a disaster his first until Spagnuolo switched the system to suit him.

Many analysts stated that Lowery is better suited to zone coverage/cover-2 scheme. Playing facing the QB plays to his strengths.

I'm not saying Lowery is a perfect candidate for safety, but there are reasons to try him there and he may be a good fit for a rotation. He's a little small and not a big hitter, but Rhodes hasn't been hitting anybody. A guy like Ihedigbo gives you the run support, but is worse in coverage. Lowery can probably stick with TEs and backs fairly easily and give good zone help.

I loathe the Rhodes tackling red herring.

Tackling isn't the important problem with Rhodes. It's just the one that fans like to highlight out of frustration. In the grand scheme of things the tackling issue is not the one keeping Rhodes from being elite.

His lack of aggression in coverage is what's keeping him from being elite. Rhodes takes the safe play all the time since he had his break out year.

He's not jumping routes. He's not attacking the pattern. Instead, he'll let the receiver catch the ball and then try to slow the guy down so he doesn't give up a big play.

It happens constantly. That's why we have the patented Rhodes slamming the turf or fist pumping in frustration play. If Rhodes was aggressive in coverage help, the Jets would get more pass breakups and INTs.

Each of the 4th quarter meltdowns happened where Rhodes was in possition to make a game changing play but played the pattern safely and gave up the key reception.

The bottom line is that if Rhodes became a better tackler he still won't be elite. If he becomes an aggressive pass defender he will be regardless of the tackling.

Good point. That's what I used to think. I now think the problem is much worse. I think the problem is that Rhodes is slow. Much slower than we all thought. It's possible that he's not challenging people because he's not very fast and there were a couple of times he showed his lack of speed last season.

Well said. This conversation should be done. Jets have two solid starters and a good back up in Smith. If they were to trade Rhodes than I would worry about it. Until then, no sense in trying to fill a posiiton that doesn't need to be filled.

Lowery replacing Rhodes is NOT an upgrade.

But keeping Rhodes at FS does us just fine? I don't think so. You do huh?

I loathe the Rhodes tackling red herring.

Tackling isn't the important problem with Rhodes. It's just the one that fans like to highlight out of frustration. In the grand scheme of things the tackling issue is not the one keeping Rhodes from being elite.

His lack of aggression in coverage is what's keeping him from being elite. Rhodes takes the safe play all the time since he had his break out year.

He's not jumping routes. He's not attacking the pattern. Instead, he'll let the receiver catch the ball and then try to slow the guy down so he doesn't give up a big play.

It happens constantly. That's why we have the patented Rhodes slamming the turf or fist pumping in frustration play. If Rhodes was aggressive in coverage help, the Jets would get more pass breakups and INTs.

Each of the 4th quarter meltdowns happened where Rhodes was in possition to make a game changing play but played the pattern safely and gave up the key reception.

The bottom line is that if Rhodes became a better tackler he still won't be elite. If he becomes an aggressive pass defender he will be regardless of the tackling.

I don't buy it. You don't know what their film sessions are like or what Rex tells his defenders before every series and neither do I.

When watching Rex's defense it is all geared to stopping them in their tracks. Give up as few yards as possible at all costs. That seems to be the message to all players; except maybe the safeties.

Rex doesn't want to give up the long TD, so if an underneath route is caught or setting up to be caught, I would have to doubt that Rhodes' job (as last man back most of the time), is to sell out and jump the route. What if he misses?

I don't buy it. You don't know what their film sessions are like or what Rex tells his defenders before every series and neither do I.

When watching Rex's defense it is all geared to stopping them in their tracks. Give up as few yards as possible at all costs. That seems to be the message to all players; except maybe the safeties.

Rex doesn't want to give up the long TD, so if an underneath route is caught or setting up to be caught, I would have to doubt that Rhodes' job (as last man back most of the time), is to sell out and jump the route. What if he misses?

I don't know bro ... absolutely right in that we don't know what Rex/Mike are telling these guys about coverage .... but I look at what Reed, Troy, Sanders, and many lesser named guys do in the same situations and they're making stuff happen rather than slaming their hands on the ground going "damn ... almost got there"

I don't know bro ... absolutely right in that we don't know what Rex/Mike are telling these guys about coverage .... but I look at what Reed, Troy, Sanders, and many lesser named guys do in the same situations and they're making stuff happen rather than slaming their hands on the ground going "damn ... almost got there"

The thing is, is that I really don't know what the safeties job is on a particular team. I keep hearing how Polamalu is in a 'perfect' situation and so is Reed and Sanders. To be honest, i am not sure who is not in a perfect situation in terms of safeties in this league.

I keep thinking about this in terms of soccer...our college team plays high pressure all over the field...except for the last man back, he is supposed to be patient as hell and that could be misunderstood as being lazy or unathletic.

I'm not trying to stick up for Rhodes...i think he's a douche bag but I'm not sure if jumping routes is the safeties job in this defense. If we get another safety in here next year, maybe we will know for sure. As of now, i don't know that I fault Fairy Rhodes for this one.

The thing is, is that I really don't know what the safeties job is on a particular team. I keep hearing how Polamalu is in a 'perfect' situation and so is Reed and Sanders. To be honest, i am not sure who is not in a perfect situation in terms of safeties in this league.

I keep thinking about this in terms of soccer...our college team plays high pressure all over the field...except for the last man back, he is supposed to be patient as hell and that could be misunderstood as being lazy or unathletic.

I'm not trying to stick up for Rhodes...i think he's a douche bag but I'm not sure if jumping routes is the safeties job in this defense. If we get another safety in here next year, maybe we will know for sure. As of now, i don't know that I fault Fairy Rhodes for this one.

pretty good analysis Matt, here's what The Jets Blog was saying a few days ago about exactly that:

If They Keep Him, Then Use Him to His Actual Abilities! Or At Least Compromise!

Screen-shot-2010-03-05-at-10.06.55-AM.png

God he's dumb."I WOOD like to thank..."

Let's just hope he can intercept passes better than he can write ( or read for that matter- There was a report that when he was @ FSU he had difficulty reading SMH ****. I just hope the Playbook isnt overwhelming for him to read & understand).

Chris Johnson is way dumber though. His tweets ( & Speech) is incoherent babble.

Chargers' Cromartie singled out in ESPN report on Florida State

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 13, 2009 9:42 AM ET

ESPN's Outside the Lines did a lengthy investigation into the role of academics in Florida State's football program, and the report that ran on ESPN Sunday morning singled out one former Seminole, Antonio Cromartie, as a player who particularly struggled academically when he was on campus.

The Outside the Lines report quoted a former teammate and classmate of Cromartie's as saying that Cromartie's reading level was so low that he could only read a word or two every minute.

Cromartie, currently a San Diego Chargers cornerback, declined to be interviewed for the piece, and ESPN reported that Cromartie's agent, Gary Wichard, also wouldn't give an interview but did acknowledge that Cromartie has language deficiencies.

Although the tone of the ESPN report seemed to suggest that the Florida State investigation had uncovered something scandalous, the same facts could have just as easily been turned into a profile praising Cromartie for overcoming his learning disabilities and becoming a success in his chosen profession.

Perhaps if Cromartie had granted ESPN an interview, that's what it would have been.

The thing is, is that I really don't know what the safeties job is on a particular team.

It's hard to believe that for Rhodes--whom Rex called a top safety in his initial press conference and likened to Reed--his job is allow completions to happen in front of him.

What's the sense in having a "top safety" to merely be a safety net??? That doesn't sound like a Rex Ryan scheme.

Let's just hope he can intercept passes better than he can write ( or read for that matter- There was a report that when he was @ FSU he had difficulty reading SMH. I just hope the Playbook isnt overwhelming for him to read & understand).

Chris Johnson is way dumber though. His tweets ( & Speech) is incoherent babble.

have you ever read anything written by Courtney Love? Wow!

Normally you don't want to defer picks out. But the Jets are close and have limitations this year. To pick up a starting CB like they did, definitely a good move.

The 2010 draft is stocked, one of the best drafts in -maybe- decades, largely because of the massive junior infiltration. These are players who would've been in the 2011 draft, but are leaving early to try to get a piece of what might be the NFL's last draft without a rookie cap.

So this year, trading a future pick is about as big as it gets. The 2011 draft will be as thin as the 2010 draft is solid. Huge win for Tanny. Shows you that there probably wasn't a lot of interest for Cromartie, though.

What would be better than if Cromartie spend every day trying to prove that he's the premier name in the Revis/Cromartie tandem? I don't think Revis would have any problem with that, and as the leader he's become, will help him towards that goal.

Being paired up with Revis is going to make or break him. Revis is the best in the business and, despite that, he has no problem sticking his facemask into the rushing defense. Cro will have absolutely no room to be a prissy prima donna in the rush defense with Revis out there butting heads on the other side of the field. Hopefully, lining up in man, bump & run coverage on nearly every down gets him more acclimated to contact.

It's hard to believe that for Rhodes--whom Rex called a top safety in his initial press conference and likened to Reed--his job is allow completions to happen in front of him.

What's the sense in having a "top safety" to merely be a safety net??? That doesn't sound like a Rex Ryan scheme.

Good post, and I also enjoyed your previous post in this thread about Rhodes not being aggressive in the passing game. Though, I do think his tackling is a huge issue, but that points to a lack of aggression as well. Rhodes just isn't going to throw his body around and the fact that he won't attack people has now alienated two coaching staffs.

Remember, Mangini came in and talked about using him like Rodney Harrison in much the same way that Rex talked about using him like Reed. And both coaches came to the conclusion that Rhodes was a liability in traffic and put him 15 yards off the LOS, playing a passive center field position.

I don't think you can fix what's wrong with Rhodes to the point where he becomes a game changer again from the FS spot. Somewhere along the way he decided that he wasn't going to risk his face in a collision with a WR on a crossing route and no one is changing his mind, apparently.

There probably is a mixture of problems with Rhodes. Ryan maybe believed that he really was walking into another Ed Reed and all of us here could tell you that was not the case years ago. Maybe Rhodes' attitude soured to the point of disrepair?

All i know is that you can't sustain a dominant defense when the hitter position is filled by a whiny piece of ****, underachieving, dog ****er in Fairy Rhodes. I would much prefer to send Lowery back there knowing he is worth his weight in interceptions, if nothing else.

So J-Bro calls Cromartie a bitch on Twitter and Cromartie actually responds nicely LOL.

Haha, I was in a meeting when he responded. My Phone was blowing up from all my friends, I thought someone died.

Can't believe he responded to that.

Haha, I was in a meeting when he responded. My Phone was blowing up from all my friends, I thought someone died.

Can't believe he responded to that.

Well he isnt the brightest tool in the shed, he actually thought you were complimenting him. God he's stupid LMFAO

Let's just hope he can intercept passes better than he can write ( or read for that matter- There was a report that when he was @ FSU he had difficulty reading SMH ****. I just hope the Playbook isnt overwhelming for him to read & understand).

I was hoping to see him at the Mensa meeting.

Well he isnt the brightest tool in the shed, he actually thought you were complimenting him. God he's stupid LMFAO

Hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but Cromartie could have real learning disabilities.

Florida's public school system is so crappy they just graduated him through.

Rex himself admitted he's dislexic. There are other types of learning disabilities that may be ailing Cromartie.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but Cromartie could have real learning disabilities.

Rex himself admitted he's dislexic. There are other types of learning disabilities that may be ailing Cromartie.

Well we know he can't read the instructions on a condom wrapper.

I know you find him as contemptable as I do, almost anyway, but your point is one I brought up earlier in the week - Rhodes seemingly has the least definable accoutability on the D. Whatever his responsibility is on a given play - his sick ego and vaginal fortitude will get him to err on the side of caution in every situation. If his real value in coverage is not to let anybody get behind him - well he's the right guy for that job because he's always (most) far back enough from any action to be juked out of the play.

FSU too? They didn't graduate him through because they are crappy, they graduated him through because he can play.

Yes. I consider Rhodes to be a solid NFL Safety. You don't, that's fine. You're just not looking at it objectively.

Right .... and you are ..... and are therefore right... what a great addition to the board lol

Stupid counts as a learning disability?

Archived