No one's saying it....so I will.

Jetsfan80

Maybe its because we're all jaded, to a degree, but it seems like fans and media alike are finding an awful lot of reasons NOT to believe in the 2010 version of the Jets. Granted, its easy to say a team looks good on paper, and its also easy to find fault when tough decisions are made.

But I am not that easily swayed by a little negativity. So I'll say what we all want to be true and deep down believe we are so close to it BEING true: The 2010 Jets are going to win the Super Bowl.

Every move made by Mike Tannenbaum and company has been carefully calculated not only to build for the longterm, but to take advantage of a short-term window of opportunity.

With an impending work stoppage in 2011 and potential future reduction in the salary cap, some teams decided to go ultra-conservative and cut costs, either maintaining what they have or replacing some expensive spare parts for cheaper replacements.

Even with his hands tied in free agency, Tannenbaum had arguable his finest offseason since coming to the Jets, and the rationale behind every move made sense. Let's take a look at each one:

Trade 2011 Conditional 3rd rounder for Antonio Cromartie

The Chargers were so tired of Cromartie that they were willing to part with him without getting a draft choice in one of the deepest drafts in years. Bad news right? No, not really. Cromartie's off-field antics and and poor tackling are well-documented. However, enough veteran leadership is on the defense to keep Cromartie relatively in line off the field, and his skill set on it is far better than what was expected of him as a Charger.

Rather than playing mostly zone and playing in a defense where RB's got to the second level often and made him look silly, Cromartie will be a pure cover corner only being asked to take his man out of the game. Whether the experiment works is unknown, but if the Jets can be the # 1 defense with Lito Sheppard as the # 2 corner, imagine what it can do if the 2007 version of Cromartie makes another appearance in 2010.

Trade Kerry Rhodes for 4th rounder, sign Brodney Pool

Malcontent Kerry Rhodes sealed his fate long before the 2010 offseason commenced, being that he was the total antithesis of a "Rex Ryan guy". You have to believe Rex wanted him gone almost the moment he arrived. With Jim Leonhard doing the grunt work at SS, Rhodes was handed the primary playmaker role in the Jet defense that was held by Ed Reed when Rex was in Baltimore. Other than a 2 INT game against Carolina after being benched, there was not much to show for it for Rhodes. Tannenbaum did a fine job earning a 4th rounder in the 2010 draft.

Enter Brodney Pool. Certainly no Ed Reed by any stretch of the imagination, as you'll be hard-pressed to find any amazing highlights of him without digging really deep. However, he's a hard-hitter and it is doubtful he'll be any close to the problem in the clubhouse as Rhodes was. Jets fans may be disappointed that Pool and Eric Smith will be the Jet safeties rather than, say, an Eric Berry, but I'm sure we'll be reasonably happy with Pool's production when all is said and done. Staying healthy will be the crucial aspect of how the Jets do at FS next season.

Cut Thomas Jones, Sign LaDainian Tomlinson

Tomlinson is younger and brings a skill set that neither Shonn Greene nor Jones could; catching the rock out of the backfield. One of the easiest ways to prevent throwing INT's, which Sanchez had 20 of in 2009, is to provide a capable check-down receiver. LT provides this. And after seeing Jones' swift decline at the end of the '09 season, its easy to see why the Jets would want to go in another direction.

Would it be nice to have a better pure runner backing up Greene? Sure. But they were hard to come by this offseason. Let's give LT a chance behind the Jets top-notch O-Line, rather than San Diego's mediocre one, before suggesting he's toast when it comes to being anything other than a 3rd down back.

Trade 5th round pick for Santonio Holmes

Probably the biggest slam-dunk move of the offseason, the Jets payed a miniscule price for a bonafide # 1-caliber receiver. While Bill Parcells and the Dolphins were giving up a pair of 2nd rounders and a huge contract to Brandon Marshall, the Jets got Holmes for a day 3 pick and without the obligation to sign him longterm just yet. The only downside, and the main reason he was acquired so cheaply, was a 4-game suspension delivered to Holmes in the process of the deal going through.

Still, 12 games out of Holmes is outstanding, especially when you consider how much the Jets receiving corps has improved since the 2008 season. Instead of having Chansi Stuckey as the # 2 receiver and David Clowney or Brad Smith in the slot, the Jets can now slide Jerricho Cotchery into the # 3, move-the-chains role with Braylon Edwards and Holmes stretching defenses on the outside. Throw in Dustin Keller and Tomlinson, and the Jets went from one of the worst receiving corps to one of the best in 2 seasons. With Mark Sanchez in a crucial stage in his development, being able to provide him with all these weapons will make life a whole lot easier.

Sign UFA Jason Taylor

The most controversial offseason move so far this offseason, Jet-hater Jason Taylor is now in green & white in one of the more bizarre turn of events in the Jets-Dolphins rivalry. From a pure football perspective, however, it makes sense. Ryan needed a pure pass rusher for obvious passing situations, Taylor provides this.

It is currently unclear if the Jets will retain Bryan Thomas, but with Vernon Gholston moving to DE, Taylor could not and should not be asked to start for the Jets. Nevertheless, he could be a big X-factor for the Jets next season. Remember, even in his old age and playing somewhat out of his normal role for Miami, he racked up 6 sacks. Not bad....for a pretty boy.

The Draft picks: Kyle Wilson, Vladimir Ducasse, Joe McKnight, John Conner

The Jets seeming nailed their first pick in the 2010 draft, as they and other NFL teams are quickly realizing the need to have at least 3 strong corners in a pass-happy NFL. Corners were taken more than any other position in the 2010 draft (30). However, the Jets may have gotten the best of the bunch, other than perhaps Joe Haden, in taking Boise State's Kyle Wilson at 29. Much like Cromartie, he's a pure cover corner with tackling being his only apparent weakness. He also provides Mike Westhoff with another option for punt returner.

Amazingly, the Jets were targetting 2nd round guard Vladimir Ducasse in the 1st round, but picked him up at 61 overall. Under the tutelage of Bill Callahan, he could be a special player. Ideally, Matt Slauson will be ready to start in 2010, with Ducasse taking over either late in 2010 or in his 2nd season.

McKnight's resume looks a LOT like Leon Washington's, only he is 7 years younger. A scatback from a big school with durability issues, who also happens to be extremely agile, a good receiver out of the backfield, and capable of some big plays even though he doesn't have breakneck speed. And both were taken in round 4. After LT retires, the Jets may need to take yet another RB in the draft to be a true # 2, but until then, McKnight looks like another nice complimentary RB at good value in the 4th round.

Conner, taken in the 5th round, is everything Rex Ryan could want out of a fullback in the "ground & pound" aspect of the Jets offense. With Tony Richardson all but done, albeit still effective, the Jets needed an heir at a position that, although becoming less and less important in the NFL, is still crucial to the Jets.

Trade Leon Washington and 7th rounder for 5th rounder

The Conner pick happened because of the deal sending Washington to Seattle, and while Washington was a fan favorite in New York and the source of much discussion over contract demands, it seemed that the Jets needed a reason to part ways with the 3rd down back and kick returner. Picking up Wilson as possible punt returner and snagging McKnight in the 4th round was what finally did it.

There's no way of knowing how effective Leon will be in 2010. After all, he really can only run in a straight line at this point in the offseason, which is disconcerting for a back that relies on lateral movement. But being that he is 28, apparently the Jets didn't think they had time to find out, OR had many more good years out of Leon to look forward to regardless. Now that Tomlinson, McKnight, Wilson and Brad Smith are around to fill his shoes, fans should simply wish him well and realize that the Jets aren't really going to miss him. After all, they went to the AFC Title game without him.

Cut Alan Faneca

Collectively, letting go of Jones, Rhodes, Washington and now Faneca seemed like moves that would negatively effect the Jets, not only on the field but in the lockerroom. However, seeing as we've already seen why these were good football moves based on the above AND that they aren't necessarily going to badly affect team chemistry, Faneca being dropped should not be surprising OR mourned excessively.

With the Jets become a more balanced team on offense, cutting a guard who allowed 7 sacks (most in the NFL of any guard) despite being a run-happy team would be a move embraced by all if it weren't for Faneca's name. A perennial pro bowler (lately, undeservedly), its easy to say the Jets should have held onto the veteran. However, the fact that he is turning 34, is regressing, and was due $7.5 million says you can't just keep him around, especially since keeping would mean either starting him or facing a rift in the lockerroom.

Like most tough decisions, ones that should be made in the future ought to be made NOW, and are less painful that way, akin to ripping off a band-aid. Teams always need to be looking to get younger to win, as sitting idly by and letting the Curtis Martin's and Jason Fabini's of the world hang around a year or 2 BEYOND hitting the wall just doesn't work. In my mind, going with Slauson/Ducasse at LG is a risk worth taking, as Faneca being in the same role would do more harm than good.

So there you have it. The Jets are a much improved team from 2009, and that alone is reason to believe they can win it all. The Jets were so close last year, and while an analysis like the one above would usually need to consist of comparing the Jets to AFC East teams and other conference rivals, the only place the Jets should be looking is at themselves. If the 2010 Jets play like they SHOULD play under a Rex Ryan-led team, they won't need to worry about the opponent.

One thing's for sure though, Mike Tannenbaum worked his ass off to get the right pieces in place, and now its simply up to the coaching staff and players to bring it all together. Here's to hoping they do, and the Jets accomplishing what I believe will come to fruition next February: A Super Bowl championship.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think as Jets fans we've been down so long that we forgot what it's like to be up. I don't know that we will win the super bowl or even make it. I do think that we will **** teams up.

I'm looking forward to Sundays. During the Mangini era I enjoyed the games, but I was always just praying for the clock to tick down so we could escape with a win. Now I'm looking foward to ****ing teams up for a full 60 minutes and I hope they add time to the clock so that we can **** them up some more.

I think as Jets fans we've been down so long that we forgot what it's like to be up. I don't know that we will win the super bowl or even make it. I do think that we will **** teams up.

I'm looking forward to Sundays. During the Mangini era I enjoyed the games, but I was always just praying for the clock to tick down so we could escape with a win. Now I'm looking foward to ****ing teams up for a full 60 minutes and I hope they add time to the clock so that we can **** them up some more.

Well put.

I'm very happy with the Jets moves, and the way Tanny was able to seemingly do whatever he wanted to despite the final four rules. Masterful, really. But we'll have to see how they play out on the field.

The cynic in me:

At RB. On paper, I'm happy with the RB situation, and believe it's the easiest position for a rookie to step in an play - but Shonn Greene's got a heavy load to carry this season. Last year he was the fresh legs at the end of the year, this year he's got to carry the whole season. When he got hurt in the AFC Championship Game, that's when the Jets' chances went south. He, LT, and McKnight -and maybe some guy who starts the year on the practice squad- are critical to the team's success.

At CB. The CB position makes the Jets dee tick. The Jets were #1 in overall pass defense based on them being far & away the #1 pass defense - all without a pass rush. Cromartie and Wilson are both wildcards. We hope -and seem to expect- for them to be better than Lito & Strickland, but we don't know yet. If we're thrilled with Cro's ball skills and not bitching about his tackling come January, we've had a good season.

The pass rush. I wasn't worried about it, and once the Jets signed Taylor, they weren't either. Taylor doesn't look like much of an answer to me. He had 7 sacks last year, the 2.5 he had against Buffalo in week #4 were the only sacks he had in a win. He had a total of 1.5 sacks over the last ten weeks of the season. I'm thinking coverage sacks.

Mark Sanchez is the difference between the Jets tanking, contending, and hoisting the Lombardi. Jets were extremely pro-active in acquiring weapons for him, and I applaud them for that. Braylon having a full offseason here should be huge. Tanny seemed to suggest that Mark would be throwing in mini-camp this May - again, huge! Santonio Holmes - huge! But it still all rests on Mark taking a step forward rather than succumbing to a sophomore slump.

Overall, I'm pretty excited. :mrgreen:

I agree and have been thinking about doing this for awhile. Later today I will unveil my new signature:

Rex Ryan will win the SB as H.C. of the NYJ.

that could be the kiss of death for this Jets team right there.

Jets win the AFCE

Jets enter Playoffs with homefield advantage throughout.

Jets beat New England in Divisional Playoff Round

Jets beat Indianapolis in AFC Championship Game

Jets beat NY Giants in Superbowl.

The city of New York throws a ticker tape parade for the Jets.

The President shakes Rex Ryans hand and congratulates him for losing over a 100 lbs.

We'll be good. Great is up to God and fate.

A good roster didn't protect Vinnie's achilles.

-or Chad's wrist.

-or Brett's shoulder

-or Curtis' ankles ...although an OL that can make holes would have helped.

16-0 doesn't guarantee it either.

We'll be good. Great is up to God and fate.

A good roster didn't protect Vinnie's achilles.

-or Chad's wrist.

-or Brett's shoulder

-or Curtis' ankles ...although an OL that can make holes would have helped.

16-0 doesn't guarantee it either.

True, but the Jets are pretty good at guaranteeing things.

namath_sb_iii1.jpg

Jets win the AFCE

Jets enter Playoffs with homefield advantage throughout.

Jets beat New England in Divisional Playoff Round

Jets beat Indianapolis in AFC Championship Game

Jets beat NY Giants in Superbowl.

The city of New York throws a ticker tape parade for the Jets.

The President shakes Rex Ryans hand and congratulates him for losing over a 100 lbs.

Now that would be a dream come true.

Too bad the Giants won't even sniff the playoffs with their 53 man roster that contains 25 Defensive Lineman.

The bottom line is that the most talented teams in April don't always win the Super Bowl.

Alot has to go right for any team to win the whole thing, not least of which is staying healthy in key positions (see 1999 Jets).

All that said, there's more reason to be positive this season moreso than any other Jets season that I can remember ... and I go back a long way with this team.

I'm really looking forward to this season.

Oh no, I watched every minute.

If you saw an improved Sanchez in the second half of the Indy game then your team is doomed.

What should our take be on the way the Ravens absolutely demolished the *patsies?

Archived