Whats the first football game you remember watching??

JoeC36

I only saw Namath play "live" 3 times.

Remember the Jets OT win against the Giants at Yale Bowl in '74? That was my 2nd game. My uncle was a Giants season ticket holder and took me to that game.

Third game was a preseason Giants-Jets game at Yankee Stadium in 1976, Namath's last season with the Jets.

Any other games you see besides the '72 Colt game?

I haven't been to many. My Dad always played on Sunday so he didn't take me too often. We were at his (and then my) games and then back home in time for the Jets and pasta. That was the only Namath game I went to live. I know my Dad went to the first Jets-Giants game at the Yale Bowl instead of going to Woodstock.

The first game I remember watching was a live game...I had seen a couple in Shea but I was too young to remember.

The first game I truly remember was 86, Jets vs. Dolphags. It was the Kenny O vs. Marino shootout. I thought the Jets were the greatest thing in the world and Kenny O was the best Qb ever and wanted to be just like him.

I had a life size poster of Kenny O on my wall for a long time after that game.

First Jets game that drove you to drink

Jets at Lions, Thanksgiving, 1985.

I was already drunk, depressed, and miserable on that particular Thanksgiving, but the Jets losing an absolutely horrendous game against a bad Lions team that went on to lose out the rest of the season practically led to my suicide.

Jets at Lions, Thanksgiving, 1985.

I was already drunk, depressed, and miserable on that particular Thanksgiving, but the Jets losing an absolutely horrendous game against a bad Lions team that went on to lose out the rest of the season practically led to my suicide.

LOL!

I remember that one.

We had a good team that year and we were beaten like dogs by Eric Hipple.

Absolutely Brutal.

Cannot be absolutely certain which one was first but was either Giants/Lions or Giants/Browns. Charlie Connerly was the Giants QB with Frank Gifford at HB, Kyle Rote and Bob Schnelker at Ends, Jim Brown wasn't around yet to take handoffs from Otto Graham and Doak Walker with Bobby Layne from the Lions. Of course that was before Al Dorow was throwing tds to Don Maynard.

Super Bowl XIII - Steelers beat the Cowboys.

Old Fart!

I remember some nutt kicks from 1979. A re-occurring theme the first 22 years I followed the team.

Cannot be absolutely certain which one was first but was either Giants/Lions or Giants/Browns. Charlie Connerly was the Giants QB with Frank Gifford at HB, Kyle Rote and Bob Schnelker at Ends, Jim Brown wasn't around yet to take handoffs from Otto Graham and Doak Walker with Bobby Layne from the Lions. Of course that was before Al Dorow was throwing tds to Don Maynard.

Great post.

Allow me to try to narrow down the possiblities as to what was the first game you watched.

Brown was a rookie in 1957.

Graham retired after the 1955 season.

Therefore, Brown never took a handoff from Graham.

Schnelker played with the Giants from 1954-60.

Because you indicated that the first NFL game you watched predated Brown's stay in the league, this means your first viewed game was in either 1954, 1955, or 1956.

You also wrote it as "Giants/Lions" and "Giants/Browns" perhaps to indicate the Giants were on the road. That might be the way of it because the Giants home games were not televised in the New York market, as far as I know. Of course, I'm also assuming you resided in the New York area at the time.

Based upon all that, the first game you watched was one of the following-

10/31/54- Giants 14 at Browns 24

11/06/55- Giants 14 at Browns 24

12/11/55- Giants 24 at Lions 19

10/14/56- Giants 21 at Browns 9

Now, if you did see a Giants home game, it would have been one of these-

11/28/54- Browns 16 at Giants 7

11/27/55- Browns 35 at Giants 35

12/09/56- Browns 24 at Giants 7

bits and pieces of 70's games. and the game in 80 where Richard Todd threw a pic in the end zone against Buffalo.

Probably the '81 Wild Card game at Shea ... Bill Simpson spoiling an "almost miracle" comeback by Todd .... errrrgggghhhh.

Still one of the most heartbreaking losses I've ever had to endure as a Jet fan.

I can recall a MNF game between the Bears and Dolphins being on, although I highly doubt it's their famed 1985 game, as that would make me one year old, which would mean that my first ever memory was of football.

The first game I ever really watched was the '91 MNF opener between the Niners and Giants.

Probably the '81 Wild Card game at Shea ... Bill Simpson spoiling an "almost miracle" comeback by Todd .... errrrgggghhhh.

Still one of the most heartbreaking losses I've ever had to endure as a Jet fan.

I remember that heartbreaker as well. :(

I went to my first game live in 1974. It was against the Oilers and the only thing I remember as an 8 year old kid was that they lost that day.

I'm sure there was something earlier since I was already collecting football cards in 1972 maybe Super Bowl VII ?

The first game though I really remember was Super Bowl X between the Cowboys and the Steelers and heading out in the yard trying to be Lynn Swann.

Jets wise the first game I really remember was a 56-3 shellacking took from the Pats in 78. That was really awful.

I remember that heartbreaker as well. :(

Ugh. Bruce Harper spit up the opening kickoff, didn't he?

Jets wise the first game I really remember was a 56-3 shellacking took from the Pats in 78. That was really awful.

Ugh. Two years in a row they dropped 50+ on us in Foxboro. Stanley Morgan! Harold Jackson! <shakes fist>

Great post.

Allow me to try to narrow down the possiblities as to what was the first game you watched.

Because you indicated that the first NFL game you watched predated Brown's stay in the league, this means your first viewed game was in either 1954, 1955, or 1956.

You also wrote it as "Giants/Lions" and "Giants/Browns" perhaps to indicate the Giants were on the road. That might be the way of it because the Giants home games were not televised in the New York market, as far as I know. Of course, I'm also assuming you resided in the New York area at the time.

Great amount of work, well reasoned and I thank you but you really must have too much time on your hands.BTW I believe I said Brown wasn't around yet to take the handoffs from Otto. Again, thank you

Great amount of work, well reasoned and I thank you but you really must have too much time on your hands.BTW I believe I said Brown wasn't around yet to take the handoffs from Otto. Again, thank you

I liked doing the research and it is easy when you have good reference materials.

I know you wrote that Jim Brown was not around yet to take handoffs from Otto Graham. In other words, you were intimating that Brown was still in college. What I then wrote was that Brown never took handoffs from Otto Graham. They never played together.

I can recall a MNF game between the Bears and Dolphins being on, although I highly doubt it's their famed 1985 game, as that would make me one year old, which would mean that my first ever memory was of football.

The first game I ever really watched was the '91 MNF opener between the Niners and Giants.

Dolphins vs Bears on Monday Night

1971- Dolphins 34, Bears 3

1985- Dolphins 38, Bears 24

1997- Bears 36, Dolphins 33

2002- Dolphins 27, Bears 9

Great post.

I remember watching games on TV in the 50s. Most of the time they only

showed one game and I think most of the time they showed the Cleveland Browns.

However the first game I remember that has stuck in my mind is the 1958

Championship game between Balto and the Giants. I was in the Army at the

time and was rooting for Balto and I lived in NY but didn't like the Giants.

Super Bowl XIII - Steelers beat the Cowboys.

That's mine as well.

I was 6 when the game was played (January 1979), turning 7 later that May. My older brother was a big Cowboys fan and I wanted to root against him so I rooted for the Steelers.

The 1976 Yankee season was my first sports memory. I may have watched some football with my older brother between then and SB XIII, but I have no recollection of that whatsoever.

Oh, and to add...

I mentioned this elsewhere: I didn't grow up a Jet fan per se. I was a Steeler fan at that young age because they were Kryptonite to my older brother's favorite team. I became a fan of the Jets in the early 1980s (cheated on them in the late 1980s & early 1990s) and have been true to them since at least 1995.

My first Jet game memory was the 45-28 loss to the Fins to open the strike shortened 1982 season.

in the living room on a cold and snowy day in NJ with my dad-first NFL game I ever watched-I was 12 years old. No wonder I became a football fan-1st game ever and it's still considered one the greatest games EVER.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Championship_Game,_1967

That was a good game the first one I was interested in was the Colts Giants NFL Championship in 58.. That was Johnny Samples rookie season with Weeb as the HC and his last game was 69 Supe III with Weeb as the HC..

yeah, that's it Joewillie!!

how about AJ Duie returinig Richard Todds int for TD in 82 championship!! i can still see his smile!! one of my most heartbreaking losses!!

Archived