10 Best Quotes of the Rex Ryan era

Kentucky Jet

Ten Best Quotes of the Rex Ryan Era

by Zach Berger Written on May 19, 2010 Rex Ryan has been in the spotlight since his first day as the head coach as the New York Jets, and no, it isn't because he wrote his resignation as the "HC of NYJ" on a napkin before the press conference. Rex has won the fans over through his contagious confidence, unrelenting defense, and some great press conference sound bites. Ryan's quotes keep people talking for days. Here are my top ten Rex Ryan quotes since he arrived in New York:

10. "We're going to start with the injury report, obviously. Manning, Clark, Addai, Reggie Wayne, Freeney, Mathis, Brackett

Its crazy thats its only been 1 year.

Theres some stuff on the DVD the Jets sent out to ticket holders/previous ticket holders that makes me laugh every time. And its little stuff when he's on the sideline. Sometimes he just repeats what he already said and throws an F bomb in the middle of it a few seconds later.

"This is our game!........our ****ing game!"

I think Ryan is a blowhard - good coach - but a complete moron with his mouth. The things he says make me cringe. I find it funny that when players, or coaches, of other teams display such bravado, most of you are all over it. Yet, Rexy the Mouth that Roared says it, it's pure awesomeness. :rolleyes:

I think Ryan is a blowhard - good coach - but a complete moron with his mouth. The things he says make me cringe. I find it funny that when players, or coaches, of other teams display such bravado, most of you are all over it. Yet, Rexy the Mouth that Roared says it, it's pure awesomeness. :rolleyes:

It amazes me that this can come out of someones mouth knowing how much the guy changed the culture of the New York Jets in just 1 year. Hell, it wasn't even 1 year it was more like 1 press conference.

Especially when you take into account the amount of Free Agents that said they'd love to come here or hinted at it. That wouldn't have happened a year ago.

You don't see him like we see him. You've been tricked by Boston media to see him as what you called him - a blow hard. For some reason people think Rex is dumb - by my estimation he's everything but.

Spygate.

Aw c'mon Miss Sunshine, lighten up! The guy's got a sense of humor and he's way more fun to listen to than the last two guys we had here. Though Herm's idiocy spawned some gems.

I don't remember the entire quote, but when Rex said "play like a Jet" it was the first time that I can remember a Jets coach actually saying something like that that. Our franchise hasn't been a proud one for a while, and you can really tell that Rex wants to instill that pride in everyone involved.

Oh and Garb, of course we probably wouldn't like Rex if he was coaching someone else, especially another team in our division. But he's OUR coach, and he's easily the most entertaining coach in the league. I can see why Belichick's put-you-to-sleep press conferences would make you think it shouldn't be done any way, but its who Rex is and no one will change him. Your par-for-course high-horse lecture just doesn't work here.

It amazes me that this can come out of someones mouth knowing how much the guy changed the culture of the New York Jets in just 1 year. Hell, it wasn't even 1 year it was more like 1 press conference.

Especially when you take into account the amount of Free Agents that said they'd love to come here or hinted at it. That wouldn't have happened a year ago.

You don't see him like we see him. You've been tricked by Boston media to see him as what you called him - a blow hard. For some reason people think Rex is dumb - by my estimation he's everything but.

I did not call him dumb. I said he was a loud mouth blowhard. I don't mind sh*t talk from players so much - but from coaches? I just don't like it.

What does "complete moron" mean if not dumb? Just wondering.

Ha! You got me there. :) Eh, when I called him a moron, I meant loud mouth goofball. I really don't think he's dumb. Clearly he is not. This approach works well with his lockeroom and it has REALLY worked with his fanbase....rabid morons that you are ;)

He does it to take pressure off his players and make himself enemy # 1.

I've been thinking it ever since Rex was head coach, but he reminds me a lot of Herb Brooks in that regard. Obviously polar opposites as far as how the team perceived him, but he unified his team, made the media focus on him and gave the players something to rally around. At first in the case of team USA, it was their genuine dislike for the hardass Brooks and in this case, it's their respect and devotion for Rex.

Brooks was a genius in his own right and the comparison has always just fit for me.

He's also harmless and a generally nice guy. When he starts giving boxes of money to married woman he's tooling on the side we can have this conversation.

He does it to take pressure off his players and make himself enemy # 1.

Then why do players like Bart Scott run their yap too?

Just wait until Hardknocks. Its going to be a three ring circus. Some of these guys like Holmes let loose for the first time.

The NFL couldnt have picked a better cast of characters.

Just wait until Hardknocks. Its going to be a three ring circus. Some of these guys like Holmes let loose for the first time.

The same reason Brady bitches to the refs every time he gets touched, it's just part of his game ;) It's the same reason Brian Dawkins used to come out flopping on the ground,i t helps them get fired up. Each player does it differently, it has nothing to do with taking on the image of his coach, it just happens to be a very similar image in this case.

As long as Rex is the most accessible and largest personality of this team, he'll continue to get the most attention, thus taking a considerable amount of pressure off of his guys. No matter how much Scott talks, he will never carry the same clout as a head coach talking smack.

No doubt. I am soooo freakin excited.

The same reason Brady bitches to the refs every time he gets touched, it's just part of his game ;) It's the same reason Brian Dawkins used to come out flopping on the ground,i t helps them get fired up. Each player does it differently, it has nothing to do with taking on the image of his coach, it just happens to be a very similar image in this case.

As long as Rex is the most accessible and largest personality of this team, he'll continue to get the most attention, thus taking a considerable amount of pressure off of his guys. No matter how much Scott talks, he will never carry the same clout as a head coach talking smack.

No argument there. :cheers:

Rex will always look like the biggest Assclown for mouthing off. Like his Dad (big surprise there :rolleyes:) The players should be the only ones talking, because they have to back it up out on the playing field. Every time a coach gets into it with fans and opposing players it looks retahded.

Rex wants everyone to notice him and tell him how great he is even though hes done nothing.

No argument there. :cheers:

Rex will always look like the biggest Assclown for mouthing off. Like his Dad (big surprise there :rolleyes:) The players should be the only ones talking, because they have to back it up out on the playing field. Every time a coach gets into it with fans and opposing players it looks retahded.

Rex wants everyone to notice him and tell him how great he is even though hes done nothing.

I definitely agree here, but we just disagree on the reasoning behind him doing so. I don't think it's for purely self-serving interests, but more for the better of the team, but to each his own.

I would normally be with ya on the coach getting into it with a player, and if I were a bills, pats or fins fan, I'd probably hate him too. However, he's helped change the culture of our team and organization in only one year, and that's something that means a lot to this fanbase and myself, so I love him.

IIRC - you have also said that a lot of what Rex has said is actually quite funny. So are you talking out of both sides of your mouth?

At any rate, I'll take a blowhard coach that installs the ultimate confidence in his team over a coach that does nothing but mumbles and cheats.

He's also harmless and a generally nice guy. When he starts giving boxes of money to married woman he's tooling on the side we can have this conversation.

Speaking of oodles of money, Cromartie could use some to feed all his illegitimate children.

My personal favorite is " You know what they're going to say right, 3 home teams advance and the F-CKING JETS"

Thank you DLJ, that's my favorite also. I was going to post it but I wanted to make sure that some one did not beat me to it. Thanks for beating me to that one.

Opposing teams' fans-especially RIVAL teams' fans aren't SUPPOSED to like him so I guess he's doing a great job.

Oh yea +100 to Crusher for this gem; "When he starts giving boxes of money to married woman he's tooling on the side we can have this conversation."

Archived