Santonio Holmes says "All super bowls should be played in the south"

AFJF

LOL...Genius!

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- From the owner to the head coach to players at the bottom of the roster, the New York Jets are excited about the prospect of co-hosting the 2014 Super Bowl at their new Meadowlands Stadium. The company line: Cold is the new hot.

Too bad they didn't pass along the memo to wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who became the first nonconformist Thursday by saying he'd rather not play a Super Bowl in a cold-weather site such as New York.

Then again, maybe Holmes didn't hear the message because he was wearing his infamous iPod.

"I like a Super Bowl where the elements don't have any factor in the game," Holmes said after practice, addressing the New York media for the first time since his trade last month from the Pittsburgh Steelers. "I would prefer to keep all Super Bowls somewhere in the South. I don't want to play anywhere where it's cold. We play in it enough during the season."

That comment probably sent chills through the organization.

The Jets, along with the New York Giants, have been campaigning for months to host the first outdoor, cold-weather Super Bowl in NFL history. Their official bid was submitted last week to the league office, and the 32 team owners will vote Tuesday at the spring meetings in Dallas. Miami and Tampa are the other finalists, with New York/New Jersey considered the favorite to land the game.

Holmes is one of only three players on the Jets' roster who have played in a Super Bowl. The others are tackle Damien Woody (New England Patriots) and defensive tackle Kris Jenkins (Carolina Panthers). Only 15 months ago, Holmes was the Super Bowl MVP in the Steelers' win over the Arizona Cardinals -- a game played in Tampa.

Holmes grew up in Florida, so that probably explains his preference for warm weather. But the Jets have several players from the South, yet Holmes was the only lone dissenter.

"New York is the best city in the world," Rex Ryan said. "I don't see how it's not played here. It should be played here."

Holmes, less than two months into his Jets career, has managed to make a couple of big headlines. The day after the trade, he received a four-game suspension by the league for violating the substance-abuse policy. He will sit out the first four games of the season.

Just recently, he was in the news for the iPod incident on a flight from Newark to Pittsburgh, where he was questioned by police for refusing to turn off his iPod during the landing. He described that as misunderstanding, claiming the flight attendant "scrutinized me just because of who I am."

In terms of actual football, Holmes said he's thrilled to be a member of the Jets' revamped offense, and he doesn't anticipate any problems fitting in with fellow receivers Jerricho Cotchery and Braylon Edwards. After an ugly divorce from the Steelers, who sent him packing after a string of off-the-field incidents, Holmes sees this as a fresh start.

"I felt like a kid on the first day of school," he said, reflecting on his emotions before the first practice Monday. "I kept waking up in the middle of the night."

I love it. Nowadays, if a guy tells a fib and is caught the Truth Police are all over him 100 different ways.

Now a guy is just honest and people don't like that. The fact that the truth sometimes pisses people off is the reason most sane people, in certain situations, tell untruths in the first place.

I love it. Nowadays, if a guy tells a fib and is caught the Truth Police are all over him 100 different ways.

Now a guy is just honest and people don't like that. The fact that the truth sometimes pisses people off is the reason most sane people, in certain situations, tell untruths in the first place.

I agree to an extent on what you posted...but, sometimes (and this is one of those times) it's best to keep the yap shut. Especially when the organization you are playing for is investing millions in you and trying to bring a SB to the stadium you call home.

Guys not too sharp huh...

I think it's a valid opinion for a wide receiver to have. Being one of the three Jets to play in a superbowl and the only "skill position" player to do it, I see no problem with it. Rexs let's these players be themselves, though Santonia seems to struggle with his self control, this is far from anything more than an opinion. Be surprized Goodell decides to NOT have the game in NY because Santonia Holmes doesn;t want it their.

If games leading up to the SB are affected by the elements, then you've got teams getting there who compete in perfect weather and poor weather. The best team, not the best warm-weather team.

So the cold - particularly in the playoffs - often weeds out teams who are controlled-temperature teams. To get there a team (generally) needs to do well in warmer weather (you can't lose all your September and warm-weather games and make the superbowl) and also in colder weather. Other than dome games, the elements can affect outcomes that lead some teams to get to the SB over others. Then that weather-resistant team is penalized in the SB itself.

Football is played in any weather all season long including the playoffs. I see nothing wrong with the SB being in the cold. The best team, not the best warm-weather team, is theoretically supposed to be the winner. If the SuperBowl was for the World Badminton Title or USA Shuffleboard Championship then I would probably feel differently.

Either way, Holmes is kind of a dope for even chiming in on it. The team that just acquired you a month ago, even while knowing you're going to miss 1/4 of the season, just got awarded the SB like a week ago. The law of the land doesn't say you have to shut up -- you can say whatever you want. But decorum suggests you should probably zip it though, at least for now and to the press.

If games leading up to the SB are affected by the elements, then you've got teams getting there who compete in perfect weather and poor weather. The best team, not the best warm-weather team.

This is all true but there's still a big issue in terms of fair warning. This is the one game that every team is obliged to set itself up to win, and now they're looking to make a significant change in what that entails. I would prefer a couple more years' lead time and a wholesale change in the policy instead of just sporadic departures. The way they've chosen to go about this seems more likely to harm than to help the cause of future cold weather super bowls. One goofy play and it may never happen again.

This is all true but there's still a big issue in terms of fair warning. This is the one game that every team is obliged to set itself up to win, and now they're looking to make a significant change in what that entails. I would prefer a couple more years' lead time and a wholesale change in the policy instead of just sporadic departures. The way they've chosen to go about this seems more likely to harm than to help the cause of future cold weather super bowls. One goofy play and it may never happen again.

What do you mean by fair warning? I'm not sure I understand. Unless you feel that teams, through 5+ years of drafting, free agency, coaching, and development can better-prepare themselves for a cold-weather Superbowl. I think that's what you're trying to say.

But then this argument dismisses the need to go through 1-and-done cold weather games to get to the SB in the first place. Or should teams that never (or rarely) face inclement weather have a decided roster-preparation advantage over the majority of NFL teams that have to prepare for both every season?

The elements - or more correctly, the lack of months or years of advance notice as to what the elements will be - is part of the game. For example, when Ryan first got here he claimed he wanted the Jets to be an "all-weather" team. Not a fair-weather team or a lousy-weather team. But a team that could do well in both situations.

In the northeast in February, the weather could be near 50 degrees and perfectly clear i and it could be near 5 degrees with a snowstorm. I think it's a great equalizer, actually.

I've said all along that it would be a shame if the SB ended on a freaky play because of the weather in a northern city. However, we as fans can express this type of objectivity...players? I would think that biting the hand that feeds you is not the sharpest thing to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for voicing your opinion. BUT, he should have known better to keep quiet for the 3 weeks in between the official bid and the announcement date.

I've said all along that it would be a shame if the SB ended on a freaky play because of the weather in a northern city. However, we as fans can express this type of objectivity...players? I would think that biting the hand that feeds you is not the sharpest thing to do.

Can I get an example of a freaky play due to cold weather that's already happened?

Can I get an example of a freaky play due to cold weather that's already happened?

If the Jets are in the SB in a northern city...bank on it happening. Jets I tell ya...we're talking Jets. And with our luck, they won't be back in it until we are all in the bone orchard.

If the Jets are in the SB in a northern city...bank on it happening. Jets I tell ya...we're talking Jets. And with our luck, they won't be back in it until we are all in the bone orchard.

My point was theres no such thing as a freaky cold weather play. Only thing I could think of is the wind during the 98 AFC Championship during that kickoff that we lost... But that was wind, not snow or bitter cold.

My point was theres no such thing as a freaky cold weather play. Only thing I could think of is the wind during the 98 AFC Championship during that kickoff that we lost... But that was wind, not snow or bitter cold.

1958 championship game between the Giants and Colts. If it isn't snowing, the Giants (who had a superior D line) get better footing and stop Ameche...I am sure there are others though. I just would prefer if the elements didn't play part in such an important game...you may only get one crack at it or many years before you're back in it. This is the reason why they changed the venue to warmer or dome stadiums.

1958 championship game between the Giants and Colts. If it isn't snowing, the Giants (who had a superior D line) get better footing and stop Ameche...I am sure there are others though. I just would prefer if the elements didn't play part in such an important game...you may only get one crack at it or many years before you're back in it. This is the reason why they changed the venue to warmer or dome stadiums.

Maybe its becuase I've never seen one in cold weather, but I really don't think its a big deal. I do understand where you're coming from.

I'm on the side of, you can play it in 2 weeks before for the conference championship. Hell, if the colts didn't have a dome an argument could be made that Peyton wouldn't have been able to get it going that second half.

If you're a dome or good weather city team you have a natural advantage in the SB against teams who are built to play outside in wind and bad weather. Playing in domes and good weather impacts the game as much as playing outdoors in bad weather.

My suggestion to minimize the impact is when the SB is played in a Dome or in Florida, they should allow the Defensive players to go to the head and spear the QB. When they play in cold weather outside the QB should be redshirted.

The fairest way to do it is to at least OCCASIONALLY allow the Super Bowl to be played outdoors and/or in cold weather, like in 2014 when New York is set to host. I don't mind most Super Bowls being played in domes/warm weather, but it would be cool to see a Super Bowl or 2 every decade played in snowy weather.

It sucked this past postseason when nearly all the games were in a dome/warm weather, thanks to the top seeds all playing in domes or warm weather (Chargers). The only cold-weather games all postseason were Jets @ Bengals and Ravens @ Patriots.

So the cold - particularly in the playoffs - often weeds out teams who are controlled-temperature teams. To get there a team (generally) needs to do well in warmer weather (you can't lose all your September and warm-weather games and make the superbowl) and also in colder weather. Other than dome games, the elements can affect outcomes that lead some teams to get to the SB over others. Then that weather-resistant team is penalized in the SB itself.

Football is played in any weather all season long including the playoffs. I see nothing wrong with the SB being in the cold. The best team, not the best warm-weather team, is theoretically supposed to be the winner. If the SuperBowl was for the World Badminton Title or USA Shuffleboard Championship then I would probably feel differently.

Either way, Holmes is kind of a dope for even chiming in on it. The team that just acquired you a month ago, even while knowing you're going to miss 1/4 of the season, just got awarded the SB like a week ago. The law of the land doesn't say you have to shut up -- you can say whatever you want. But decorum suggests you should probably zip it though, at least for now and to the press.

The playoffs are played in the stadium of the team that earned home field advantage. If that happens to be in the cold, that goes along with the advantage earned. If you are going to open up the prospect of having SB's played in the cold potentially, then it should be played in the tean that earned homefield advantage's stadium. SWince we're trying to bring elements into the SB mix, they might as well be elements earned.

The playoffs are played in the stadium of the team that earned home field advantage. If that happens to be in the cold, that goes along with the advantage earned. If you are going to open up the prospect of having SB's played in the cold potentially, then it should be played in the tean that earned homefield advantage's stadium. SWince we're trying to bring elements into the SB mix, they might as well be elements earned.

Kind of like Miami did in the 82 AFC playoffs they simulated a huricane by taking off the tarp and hossing down the field when it was allready raining. That's earning an advantage.

Teams that need to compete heavily in the cold have to build a team to do so. A team that plays in the south or a dome (or both) don't have nearly the cold-resistant constraint on them.

My point isn't that it makes it better to have it in potentially freezing or snowing type weather. Rather, it's that the "woe is the purity of the superbowl" is nonsense. Having perfect or near-perfect conditions can be seen as more advantageous to teams that are built to play most of their games in those conditions just as much as the cold is disadvantageous to them.

The only thing that would ruin it, potentially, would be if it was in the middle of a snowstorm where a foot or more of accumulation was expected.

From a team and player perspective it kind of sucks, but on the other hand it's also a bit unfair economically to northern cities. The same several cities have had claim to an event that brings in a ton of money to the local economy when the guidelines expressly state that any city with a team is allowed to host the game.

Teams that need to compete heavily in the cold have to build a team to do so. A team that plays in the south or a dome (or both) don't have nearly the cold-resistant constraint on them.

My point isn't that it makes it better to have it in potentially freezing or snowing type weather. Rather, it's that the "woe is the purity of the superbowl" is nonsense. Having perfect or near-perfect conditions can be seen as more advantageous to teams that are built to play most of their games in those conditions just as much as the cold is disadvantageous to them.

The only thing that would ruin it, potentially, would be if it was in the middle of a snowstorm where a foot or more of accumulation was expected.

Exactly, and even still it would be awesome to watch.

From a team and player perspective it kind of sucks, but on the other hand it's also a bit unfair economically to northern cities. The same several cities have had claim to an event that brings in a ton of money to the local economy when the guidelines expressly state that any city with a team is allowed to host the game.

Yep, and because of this, the message the NFL seems to be sending is that if you want to host a Super Bowl and you're in a cold-weather city, you'd better build a dome. Just look at the Lions when they got Ford Field to host.

Unless more teams like us get to host and 2014 continues to be an anomaly, outdoor football in the snow will become a thing of the past.

Yep, and because of this, the message the NFL seems to be sending is that if you want to host a Super Bowl and you're in a cold-weather city, you'd better build a dome. Just look at the Lions when they got Ford Field to host.

Unless more teams like us get to host and 2014 continues to be an anomaly, outdoor football in the snow will become a thing of the past.

You're right, Colin Cowherd touches on this from time to time. There was a point last season where it looked like the whole NFC playoff picture was going to be played in a dome.

Archived