has Revis really surpassed Asomough?

Blackout

There is no doubt that Darrelle Revis is now the more popular player. It’s because his team is more successful and he plays for New York as opposed to an unsuccessful team and an unpopular city NFL-wise. Revis is an elite cornerback in his own right, but I have to believe Asomugha is better. Revis plays zone most of the time as opposed to man. Asomugha is playing man-to-man over 95 percent of the time.Revis has better talent around him, a better coaching staff and his defense actually blitzes. Asomugha is at much more of a disadvantage in that respect.

The part in bold has to be one of the most incorrect football statements I've ever read.

The part in bold has to be one of the most incorrect football statements I've ever read.

I don't understand how people can write an article, blog or even comment on something that they clearly have little to no knowledge on. I just couldn't fathom writing an opinion-based article on a player that I clearly haven't watched....and he clearly hasn't watched Revis, based on that statement alone. It hurts knowing there are people that stupid?? out there. I find it tough saying stupid, because he clearly can string sentences together and has a grasp on the English language moreso than your usual internet sports guy...I'll just go with dumbass.

I swear certain people are so ****ing stupid. How can you possibly say Revis plays zone. The only time we ran zone was one play against Atlanta, which happened to cause us the game.

This guy can kiss my ass.

I don't understand how people can write an article, blog or even comment on something that they clearly have little to no knowledge on. I just couldn't fathom writing an opinion-based article on a player that I clearly haven't watched....and he clearly hasn't watched Revis, based on that statement alone. It hurts knowing there are people that stupid?? out there. I find it tough saying stupid, because he clearly can string sentences together and has a grasp on the English language moreso than your usual internet sports guy...I'll just go with dumbass.

Yeah it really helps his credibility. :roll:

You guys aren't exactly being fair to the writer. That bull**** was in the comments. The writer hardly mentioned Revis at all. He put up a bunch of stats for Asomouhga, but didn't provide any comparison stats for Revis. He just mentioned the Jets having better coaching and overall defense.

The stupidest part (also in the comments) was the morons talking about "Moss taking Revis out of the game" because he was so focussed on Moss that he didn't pay any attention to Welker and discussing that Moss and Owens aren't so great now but forgetting that Revis also shut down Andre Johnson, Smith, 85 and pretty much everybody else.

The funny thing is that the guy quotes Shannahan gushing about shaking Asomougha's hand and claims Belly wouldn't have said that about Revis, well I'm pretty sure he said it about Rhodes. I guess that a ringing endorsement means Rhodes is awesome.

From the linked article:

His charity work with the Asomugha Foundation and OWIN recently earned him the 2009 Byron "Whizzer" White NFL Man of the Year award.

When I first read this I thought it was some kind of smart ass comment.

Anyway, Revis is better than Aso. The Raiders leave him on the offense's left side all game long so opponents can just put their best receiver on the right side or in the slot. And teams mostly run to the right. Revis has to play all over the field and is often relied upon for run support. Revis is just asked to do more, he is the better player.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8183d222/Is-Henne-a-franchise-QB

This vid gives the best look I've seen at that famous Ted Ginn TD from last year. Ginn does get ahead of Revis by just a little but you can see Rhodes initially turn his hips to cover the wrong guy and that makes it impossible to give deep help on Ginn in time.

Aso is a great CB, gets thrown at far less but a couple of points must be made.

Aso plays at RIGHT CB, which mean he's almost always covering the #2 WR.

He gets thrown at less than Revis because Revis draws QB's into throwing his way. Why else is he one of the most thrown at CB's in the league? It's funny and something I've always noticed about Revis since he done that interview saying he gets "bored". Making WR's look open is something a lot of CB's try but few get away with. Revis knows he's the best player on the defense, he wants the ball coming his way often. People undestimate just how much this adds to his value. PFF have him as the third most tested CB in the regular season, getting thrown at 111 times. Then he has some ridiculous #'s, giving up just 36% os passes coming his way, QB's having a 32.3 QB rating throwing his way. It's ridiculous.

Nnamdi is a great CB, he'll do his job (On the #2 WR) and almost never gets thrown at. He maybe defines the term "shutdown" moreso than Revis but that's because Revis doesn't want to be shut down, then he couldn't make the impact he wants to make.

Revis is better right now. Easily.

Aso is a great CB, gets thrown at far less but a couple of points must be made.

Aso plays at RIGHT CB, which mean he's almost always covering the #2 WR.

He gets thrown at less than Revis because Revis draws QB's into throwing his way. Why else is he one of the most thrown at CB's in the league? It's funny and something I've always noticed about Revis since he done that interview saying he gets "bored". Making WR's look open is something a lot of CB's try but few get away with. Revis knows he's the best player on the defense, he wants the ball coming his way often. People undestimate just how much this adds to his value. PFF have him as the third most tested CB in the regular season, getting thrown at 111 times. Then he has some ridiculous #'s, giving up just 36% os passes coming his way, QB's having a 32.3 QB rating throwing his way. It's ridiculous.

Nnamdi is a great CB, he'll do his job (On the #2 WR) and almost never gets thrown at. He maybe defines the term "shutdown" moreso than Revis but that's because Revis doesn't want to be shut down, then he couldn't make the impact he wants to make.

Revis is better right now. Easily.

Why is the #2 WR always on the left? Don't teams move formations around anymore? He covers the #2 because the other teams figure it's easier to give him that half of the field and take their chances elsewhere.

They don't throw at Revis because he baits them. They throw at Revis because teams can't run on the Jets and the team usually rolls the help away from Revis. That's why I don't think it's fair to blame Rhodes for the Ginn TD. Sure he could have helped, but he knows full well that the other CBs need more help and that is usually where his assignment should send him.

The Raiders on the other hand... the Jets ran for over 300 on them. Why the hell would you ever throw the ****ing ball? I wouldn't, especially towards a good CB.

I like Revis because I'm a homer and he seems better all around from what I know about them. The Raider fans have a point that Aso have been doing it longer, but I'm sure he'd rather give up a few more passes and have some more wins.

They don't throw at Revis because he baits them. They throw at Revis because teams can't run on the Jets and the team usually rolls the help away from Revis.

It's not really this either. For the most part the number of chances Revis gets is just a product of the fact that he's always covering the best receiver.

It's not really this either. For the most part the number of chances Revis gets is just a product of the fact that he's always covering the best receiver.

This is the only thing that needs to be said. Aso covers HIS part of the field and it's easy to avoid him. Revis follows the number one receiver around like I do an ice cream truck and takes them out of the game. I know fantasy stats are silly in a football discussion, but when a DB impacts them the way Revis does it's hard not to notice.

Honestly, who cares?

I'm happy to have Revis the player on this team, if he's the 1st, 2nd, or 50th best CB in the league, he's contributions in large part what made this defense #1 and took it to the AFC Championship. Semantics are for teams who sit home come playoff time, just ask the Fins fans.

Honestly, who cares?

I'm happy to have Revis the player on this team, if he's the 1st, 2nd, or 50th best CB in the league, he's contributions in large part what made this defense #1 and took it to the AFC Championship. Semantics are for teams who sit home come playoff time, just ask the Fins fans.

Love the sig. :rl:

Right, I couldn't put together more than two sentences about Aso. <- Didn't even wanna spell his name wrong.

Bingo. This is exactly what I was about to say. With few exceptions (Jags game, Chargers game), Revis is assigned to one WR for the game (the opposing team's best WR) and essentially shadows him the entire game, lining up across from him no matter where he goes. Asomugha doesn't do this. I don't know of any other CBs in the league who currently do. Not even Revis did that under Mangini.

The fact is that Asomugha is a fantastic CB, but he plays one side of the field and so the opposing offense always knows where he is. That certainly makes it extremely easy to avoid the guy all together. The only times you'll see QBs even through in his direction is if their first read is well covered and another player appears to have beaten Asomugha. On the flip side, no matter who is covering, Manning isn't going to stop throwing to Wayne, or Brady to Moss, Palmer to Ochocinco, Schaub to Johnson, and the list goes on.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8183d222/Is-Henne-a-franchise-QB

This vid gives the best look I've seen at that famous Ted Ginn TD from last year. Ginn does get ahead of Revis by just a little but you can see Rhodes initially turn his hips to cover the wrong guy and that makes it impossible to give deep help on Ginn in time.

LOL I had an all out brawl at JI about this play for like a week. This play is on Rhodes moreso than Revis. Of course we don't know what coverage was called BUT you can tell Revis was supposed to have help over the top and Rhodes bites on the slot dragging across the middle. Dead serious I didn't even have to look at this video again as I debated it for so long in the past. Bottom line looks like man to man, Revis is playing extra aggressive as he thinks he has help over the top, Rhodes is caught out of position...TD.

BTW if you don't think Aso got beat throughout the season you're on crack.

LOL I had an all out brawl at JI about this play for like a week. This play is on Rhodes moreso than Revis. Of course we don't know what coverage was called BUT you can tell Revis was supposed to have help over the top and Rhodes bites on the slot dragging across the middle. Dead serious I didn't even have to look at this video again as I debated it for so long in the past. Bottom line looks like man to man, Revis is playing extra aggressive as he thinks he has help over the top, Rhodes is caught out of position...TD.

he clearly got beat by Ginn HS but I totally agree -he HAD no help deep from the safety

Has anyone mentioned Revis' tackling ability? He's one of the best tacklers on the team. I don't where Aso is on tackling.

But think about all the times Revis has come up and made plays at or around the line of scrimmage.

Has anyone mentioned Revis' tackling ability? He's one of the best tacklers on the team. I don't where Aso is on tackling.

But think about all the times Revis has come up and made plays at or around the line of scrimmage.

Revis is the best CB to play the game in a generation

he clearly got beat by Ginn HS but I totally agree -he HAD no help deep from the safety

Agreed but that's my point. He got beat BUT got beat thinking he would not have a retarded FS running across the field to triple team the other slot WR

Watch when the ball is in the air and look where Rhodes is running. The guy (slot) already has two guys on him. What's funny is I haven't looked at this play in months. Debated this thing forever.

We do know what coverage was called because both Rex and Pettine said it afterward in the press conferences. The secondary was in a quarter zone, and Pettine said there was a miscommunication with the hand-off of coverage - probably because Rhodes was nowhere to be found at any point until after Ginn was over the top of the secondary.

the whole greatness of revis is that he doesn't need over the top help

blaming the Ginn TD on Rhodes is one possible theory but the truth is, he got beat by a player with world class speed... it happens.

yes, he did...Rhodes running like he had a piano on his back was no help but he DID get beat

the whole greatness of revis is that he doesn't need over the top help

blaming the Ginn TD on Rhodes is one possible theory but the truth is, he got beat by a player with world class speed... it happens.

Clowney had him beat once when I was at OTA's this week too...

It is what it is... a speedy guy gets a few steps and they are gonna be impossible to catch

Clowney had him beat once when I was at OTA's this week too...

It is what it is... a speedy guy gets a few steps and they are gonna be impossible to catch

and it was a perfect throw from Henne too-glad he's gone-he was the difference in both Jets losses to the Dolphins last year

yes, he did...Rhodes running like he had a piano on his back was no help but he DID get beat

No he didn't. He got outrun. That shouldn't come as a surprise because everybody knows that Ginn is faster than Revis is. Watch the snap. Revis gives him an inside release instead of jamming. That's not his decision -- insisting that Revis got beat here is a lot like people getting on Brick for blocking down instead of taking it upon himself to kick out and pick up Freeney -- and coaches don't draw up plays that let Ted Ginn come off the line clean with no help over the top. Because that's what happens. The play's 100% on Rhodes. End.

No he didn't. He got outrun. That shouldn't come as a surprise because everybody knows that Ginn is faster than Revis is. Watch the snap. Revis gives him an inside release instead of jamming. That's not his decision -- insisting that Revis got beat here is a lot like people getting on Brick for blocking down instead of taking it upon himself to kick out and pick up Freeney -- and coaches don't draw up plays that let Ted Ginn come off the line clean with no help over the top. Because that's what happens. The play's 100% on Rhodes. End.

OK I'llbuy...I hate Rhodes anyway-all I know is QB's rating against Revis last year was 32.3% and I also like how he has become a leader both in the clubhouse and on the field. Who was he yelling at last year Bart Scott for a stupid penalty?

Archived