Revis "Clueless" about contract Talks: NY Post

flgreen

Revis 'clueless' about contract talks with Jets

Jets Blog

By MIKE BATTAGLINO

Last Updated: 2:40 PM, July 15, 2010

Posted: 2:23 PM, July 15, 2010

Jets training camp starts two weeks from Sunday, and Darrelle Revis says he has no idea if he'll be there or not.The Pro Bowl cornerback is seeking a new contract he says the team promised him, but told ESPN on Wednesday that he was "clueless" where those talks were at.

"Right now, my agent is doing the talking and I haven't gotten (any) feedback from him. As of right now, I'm clueless," Revis said on the ESPYs red carpet. "He's talking to those guys. Until he gives me an update on what's going on for the future, then I (don't) know."

Asked if he would hold out from any or all of training camp, Revis replied, "I don't know. I don't know yet. I still have a couple weeks to still think about it -- camp starts Aug. 1 -- so hopefully we can see eye to eye and get this thing done before camp starts."

Revis is looking to become the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL, which would require a contract worth more than $15 million per year. He is due to make $1 million in salary this season, which would be sixth-most among Jets defensive backs.

The runner-up for NFL Defensive Player of the Year was nominated for the Best NFL player ESPY along with Packers cornerback Charles Woodson, Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, Vikings quarterback Brett Favre and Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who won the award.

Despite the contract situation, Revis said he has been working out in Arizona with Donovan McNabb, Adrian Wilson and other NFL players, and he'll be ready whenever his season starts.

"I'm very prepared," Revis said. "I'm ready; I'm getting ready for the season like I always do prepare."

Revis said he could not be sure when the situation would be resolved.

"As of right now we don't know, they're still talking," Revis said. "It's been rough for these last five months, and we've just been trying to get through it the best way we can."

+1 and a special 'F' to the clowns who are advising him. Instead of grabbing a solid contract now that could set him up for life, particularly in the face of CBA uncertainty and with 3 years on his current contract, they are trying to force the team to do something fiscally imprudent to stoke his/their egos. With agents its always about getting the big 'win' and sticking it to the team so they can attract the next client.

Take the $11MM/year, dude. Seriously....take it.

I see signs of Too Much Too Soon disease in Dollarelle.

I also see it in the fans who want to determine what the guy is like based on contract talks. It's just posturing. Why do we even give a **** if he signs a long term deal? I won't care a lick until he actually holds out and even then I won't really be bothered until it screws with the season. He's here for 3. If Leon signed a long term deal (if he were actually offered that $4M per or whatever it was) it would have been worse for the team in the long run. Same may be true with Revis who is quite possibly at the peak of his value.

I agree he signed the contract hes currently playing under. Trade his ass to Seattle or Cleveland. The NYJETS dont need any prima donna side tracking the Super Bowl run.

1 player IS NOT the TEAM.

totally agree on him signing the contract. he needs to play out at least 2 of the 3 years. re-do the contract in his remaining year. We do need him though. He is easily our best player on both sides of the ball.

I agree he signed the contract hes currently playing under. Trade his ass to Seattle or Cleveland. The NYJETS dont need any prima donna side tracking the Super Bowl run.

1 player IS NOT the TEAM.

No way dude. If you ever are going to deal him you keep him for 2 years on the cheap.....win a SB....then right before his final year trade him for a ton of draft picks and restock the team.

there's no logical reason why Revis should accept being the 6th highest paid Defensive back on the Jets. There's no way Eric Smith should make more than Darrelle Revis.

I think he would take a short term concession. Will the Jets offer one? This non-guarunteed, below-market value stuff might be fine for Brick but Revis agent team clearly aint buying.

For playing too good?

He signed up to play for a million this season and has know it would happen for years.

So asking for a new deal is one thing, sitting out just shows he made a bad decision the first go around.

there's no logical reason why Revis should accept being the 6th highest paid Defensive back on the Jets. There's no way Eric Smith should make more than Darrelle Revis.

I don't remember when Vernon Gholston gave money back. So why should salary match performance just for Dollarelle?

if revis was playing like garbage the Jets could cut him (therefore not honoring their end of the contract)

but if Revis outplays his deal, he shouldn't be forced to honor the contract either

there's very little "contract honoring" in the NFL it goes both ways

so yeah It's one thing to say "no way he deserves ASO money" that's maybe reasonable but it's another thing to say "there's nothing wrong with Dwight Lowery getting paid more than darrelle Revis"

if revis was playing like garbage the Jets could cut him (therefore not honoring their end of the contract)

but if Revis outplays his deal, he shouldn't be forced to honor the contract either

there's very little "contract honoring" in the NFL it goes both ways

so yeah It's one thing to say "no way he deserves ASO money" that's maybe reasonable but it's another thing to say "there's nothing wrong with Dwight Lowery getting paid more than darrelle Revis"

Revis should make more money, but holding out is a dick move considering this contract was one he already held out for.

I'm goin at it with some kid on Darrelles Facebook wall. Kinda ruined Revis' happy birthday status. But whatever the guy's(Revis) trying to ruin my favorite football teams salary cap.

I think you should all Jump in and explain to the kid that he's out of his trees. I actually linked him to this thread, to show that he's in the minority.

http://www.facebook.com/Revis24?v=wall&story_fbid=143153462363741&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply&rf6526a49#!/Revis24?v=wall&story_fbid=143153462363741&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply&r3a7b9ede

I think he would take a short term concession. Will the Jets offer one? This non-guarunteed, below-market value stuff might be fine for Brick but Revis agent team clearly aint buying.

You're right. He should be the highest paid DB on the team. I just think that Revis is simply asking for the world so he can get it. He knows that 16 mil+ is outrageous and that Al Davis is off his rocker. However, negotiating from 16 mil will get him a higher salary than negotiating from a more reasonable number like 10.

I typically can care less about the money aspect, but I do hope that the Jets figure out a way to keep this guy. I've always seen freak talent in the league but its never been a Jet uniform. It would be nice to have a solid 8-10 years of watching such a talent on your own team for once.

Cimini had all the information wrong on this one. I have the actual details on my site. VG didnt give up any money. They fronted him a bunch of money and took out a "guaranteed" number, but the reality was he never would have seen that guaranteed number anyway. Now he has a chance to earn it. Hell actually earn 6.25M this year.

I'm goin at it with some kid on Darrelles Facebook wall. Kinda ruined Revis' happy birthday status. But whatever the guy's(Revis) trying to ruin my favorite football teams salary cap.

I think you should all Jump in and explain to the kid that he's out of his trees. I actually linked him to this thread, to show that he's in the minority.

http://www.facebook.com/Revis24?v=wall&story_fbid=143153462363741&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply&rf6526a49#!/Revis24?v=wall&story_fbid=143153462363741&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply&r3a7b9ede

I don't agree with you at all. I think Revis deserves to be paid, and I support any player's right to do whatever they can to get paid.

I've gotten tired of arguing the point here, but I haven't changed my mind. Nor will I.

Cimini had all the information wrong on this one. I have the actual details on my site. VG didnt give up any money. They fronted him a bunch of money and took out a "guaranteed" number, but the reality was he never would have seen that guaranteed number anyway. Now he has a chance to earn it. Hell actually earn 6.25M this year.

self-ownage.jpg

Archived