The offer currently on the table for Revis confirmed by the Daily News - Gary Myers.

ARodJetsFan

What will end the Revis holdout?

- He agrees to the 10-year, $122 million deal that Jets have offered since Memorial Day weekend. It initially contained $40 million in injury guarantees, but no fully guaranteed money. Before the Revis camp and the Jets agreed to impose a news blackout more than two weeks ago, Revis' agents were saying not one penny was fully guaranteed, a fact the Jets have disputed. I believe Revis will sign this long-term offer if about $30 million is fully guaranteed.

My link

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a very fair offer. If not for senile Al Davis that is pretty much a top CB contract. Revis has only really done it for 1 year, is under contract for 3 more, and this is a 10 year contract for him. He'd be getting injury guarantees, if he truly believes in his skill what is the problem with that?

Does a player like Revis seriously think he will get cut? If he does get cut that means he isn't performing up to the level of play, meaning his holdout is hypocritical. He wants to be paid what he feels he is worth when he is underpaid, but at the same time he wants guarantees so that if he is overpaid he won't have to face any repercussions. In the real world there is no such thing as an employee under contract that can't be released for poor performance. That is actually the ONE thing a term contract isn't insulated against. You can do pretty much anything else except not do your job.

I mean Revis' stance here is so ridiculous.

That's a very fair offer. If not for senile Al Davis that is pretty much a top CB contract. Revis has only really done it for 1 year, is under contract for 3 more, and this is a 10 year contract for him. He'd be getting injury guarantees, if he truly believes in his skill what is the problem with that?

Does a player like Revis seriously think he will get cut? If he does get cut that means he isn't performing up to the level of play, meaning his holdout is hypocritical. He wants to be paid what he feels he is worth when he is underpaid, but at the same time he wants guarantees so that if he is overpaid he won't have to face any repercussions. In the real world there is no such thing as an employee under contract that can't be released for poor performance. That is actually the ONE thing a term contract isn't insulated against. You can do pretty much anything else except not do your job.

I mean Revis' stance here is so ridiculous.

Amen, and I don't even think you can guarantee both, so Revis should want the guarantee to be against injury, you would think.

What will end the Revis holdout?

- He agrees to the 10-year, $122 million deal that Jets have offered since Memorial Day weekend. It initially contained $40 million in injury guarantees, but no fully guaranteed money. Before the Revis camp and the Jets agreed to impose a news blackout more than two weeks ago, Revis' agents were saying not one penny was fully guaranteed, a fact the Jets have disputed. I believe Revis will sign this long-term offer if about $30 million is fully guaranteed.

My link

That would be nice, but the Jets with the current cba, can't offer fully guaranteed cash on an extension over an amount 30% more than Revis made in 2009.

Amen, and I don't even think you can guarantee both, so Revis should want the guarantee to be against injury, you would think.

if I'm Revis, I want them guaranteed against Skill.

This is why:

1) He can buy injury insurance to cover what he'd lose.

2) He can get injured, severely, but he can still pass a physical. He can still play, but not nearly as well as he had in the past. If the Jets cut him, he gets 0 because he passed the physical.

That would be nice, but the Jets with the current cba, can't offer fully guaranteed cash on an extension over an amount 30% more than Revis made in 2009.

Assuming Myers has this correct, which is likely since he would never cover-up for the Jets, Revis is a greedy douchebag. Further, Myers either doesn't understand the numbers he's citing or is purposely being deceptive. He's making it sound like coming down to $30M but guaranteeing both to be some sort of compromise on the Jets' part. No matter what the amount, as you're (indirectly) saying here, you're talking about a roughly $22M signing bonus. The Jets, correctly in my opinion, have no business offering an 8-figure signing bonus to a player who has held out into late August twice before his 4th season, the latter of which is 3 years into a 6-year deal he agreed to.

$40M guaranteed in case of a career-ending injury and he's still holding out? And as you alluded to the better choice between skill and injury (and I'd do the same you said, which is what Brick did), I doubt the Jets would care which one; they simply can't do both due to CBA constraints in this final season.

So other than offering Al Davis insanity money, I don't understand what more the Jets can be expected to put up; particularly for a player who is still under contract for 3 more years.

Revis may be a great CB, but he's proving to be a real piece of garbage.

Assuming Myers has this correct, which is likely since he would never cover-up for the Jets, Revis is a greedy douchebag. Further, Myers either doesn't understand the numbers he's citing or is purposely being deceptive. He's making it sound like coming down to $30M but guaranteeing both to be some sort of compromise on the Jets' part. No matter what the amount, as you're (indirectly) saying here, you're talking about a roughly $22M signing bonus. The Jets, correctly in my opinion, have no business offering an 8-figure signing bonus to a player who has held out into late August twice before his 4th season, the latter of which is 3 years into a 6-year deal he agreed to.

$40M guaranteed in case of a career-ending injury and he's still holding out? And as you alluded to the better choice between skill and injury (and I'd do the same you said, which is what Brick did), I doubt the Jets would care which one; they simply can't do both due to CBA constraints in this final season.

So other than offering Al Davis insanity money, I don't understand what more the Jets can be expected to put up; particularly for a player who is still under contract for 3 more years.

I agree.. for those who want the Jets to offer Revis big up front cash, think about this.

* He held out when he was drafted for the right deal, and got 11M up front

* He was fine with his contract until, for cap reasons, it had it's 1M year. He totally forgot about the 11M he got

What stops him from taking the up front coin, and as soon as the base salaries dip below what he's comfortable with, doing this again? Once is an accident, twice is the beginning of a trend.

I agree.. for those who want the Jets to offer Revis big up front cash, think about this.

* He held out when he was drafted for the right deal, and got 11M up front

* He was fine with his contract until, for cap reasons, it had it's 1M year. He totally forgot about the 11M he got

What stops him from taking the up front coin, and as soon as the base salaries dip below what he's comfortable with, doing this again? Once is an accident, twice is the beginning of a trend.

He got $11M guaranteed for the first 4 years of the 6. For the Jets to keep him past year 4 they would have had to guarantee an additional $14-20M on top of that.

I'm not even concerned with Mevis in the slightest anymore. I've moved on to more pressing issues like getting the offense on track...Mevis to me is just a luxury for this defense...a very expensive luxury. Are we a better defensive team with him...yeah. But, I'm willing to gamble that our defense will be good enough to shut down the opposition without him...offense needs to score one more point then this defense gives up.

He got $11M guaranteed for the first 4 years of the 6. For the Jets to keep him past year 4 they would have had to guarantee an additional $14-20M on top of that.

Mevi$ has a family to feed. When you have a fat uncle like Sean Gilbert it takes a lot of money to buy groceries! IMO Mevi$ is a greedy sob and I feel that he will eventually divide the clubhouse if he doesn't sign soon. A team that is divided, does not win Super Bowls. Mevi$ knows that . He is not stupid or is he?

I'm not even concerned with Mevis in the slightest anymore. I've moved on to more pressing issues like getting the offense on track...Mevis to me is just a luxury for this defense...a very expensive luxury. Are we a better defensive team with him...yeah. But, I'm willing to gamble that our defense will be good enough to shut down the opposition without him...offense needs to score one more point then this defense gives up.

I think we've learned that this team was #1 against the pass because of Revis. We're probably somewhere around 10 without him against the pass. We do not get enough of a pass rush to shut down the passing game without a stud like Revis.

Now, with Jenkins AND Pouha playing, we're going to be MUCH IMPROVED against the run in my opinion. Noone has run against us in the preseason (I know it's the preseason) but you can see the push our guys are getting. Let's hope Jenkins and Pouha stay healthy.

The real issue is for us to get where we want to get, we need to get through the Colts and Patriots among others. The Colts showed last year that they can throw against us WITH Revis. I'd argue that we got Cromartie as a reaction to that (and what Ryan saw the entire season). Same is true the the Pats to a lesser degree. They let Revis take away Moss and let Welker abuse our other corners.

I'd agree that a pass rush would be more important, but we're not going to find one of those in the next 2 weeks. Signing Revis would go a long way to taking away the team's passing game.

right, but we're still in that 4 yr period.

Clearly. But part of what Revis is probably scoffing at is that he held out from a contract that - next year - would have guaranteed $20M against skill and injury. Now the Jets are offering up $40M against one but not the other.

Given the size of contracts the Jets have handed out over the past few seasons, it seems pretty unlikely that the Jets have an objection to guaranteeing both. What they object to, now, is giving it up-front so the player gets that money even if he holds out. With guaranteed money, at least they know the player has to show up, and continue to show up, to get it. Guys like Revis want it up front so they can keep that in their pockets and then hold out again in another 3 years.

so by fully guaranteed they mean cash, right ? in the form of an up front bonus ?

um, no

fwiw, schwartz is also repping that chargers hold out WR

I'm getting very pessimistic he will play this year, and maybe ever again for the jets

so by fully guaranteed they mean cash, right ? in the form of an up front bonus ?

um, no

fwiw, schwartz is also repping that chargers hold out WR

I'm getting very pessimistic he will play this year, and maybe ever again for the jets

Hey, at least Vincent Jackson can say he's holding out because he doesn't have a contract. He has a lowball one-year offer after the Bolts rescinded the RFA tag amount. They've spitefully rescinded his $3M tag amount and replaced it with a 1-year $600K offer, just like they did with Marcus McNeill. But unlike Revis, VJ is not under contract with the Bolts or anyone else and in 5 years with San Diego hasn't made 1/3 of the the $14M Revis did over his first 3 seasons with the Jets.

Jackson may not exactly be a prince, but he's got a lot more moral ground to stand on than Revis. Then again they're both represented by the same scumbag that also represented Kendall and Baker (who also gave the Jets problems) so there's that tidbit also.

Hey, at least Vincent Jackson can say he's holding out because he doesn't have a contract. He has a lowball one-year offer after the Bolts rescinded the RFA tag amount. They've spitefully rescinded his $3M tag amount and replaced it with a 1-year $600K offer, just like they did with Marcus McNeill. But unlike Revis, VJ is not under contract with the Bolts or anyone else and in 5 years with San Diego hasn't made 1/3 of the the $14M Revis did over his first 3 seasons with the Jets.

Jackson may not exactly be a prince, but he's got a lot more moral ground to stand on than Revis. Then again they're both represented by the same scumbag that also represented Kendall and Baker (who also gave the Jets problems) so there's that tidbit also.

lovely

No matter what the amount, as you're (indirectly) saying here, you're talking about a roughly $22M signing bonus. The Jets, correctly in my opinion, have no business offering an 8-figure signing bonus to a player who has held out into late August twice before his 4th season, the latter of which is 3 years into a 6-year deal he agreed to.

Jets can and should offer a bonus in the $12M range on such a deal. Something that pays him the average of the deal this year, then guarantee $40M the rest of the way for injury or skill. That's not unreasonable for either side. At this point it should be about getting the deal done for both sides.

Revis is going to hold out again. They're not going to get around that. 10/$122M sounds completely and totally awesome right now, but five years from now there will be lesser CB's making more money than him, and he'll want more again if he's still the best. That's what you have to put up with this guy if you want his talent on your team. You try to construct a deal that gets him in the building, and makes it difficult for him for hold out - but it's pretty much inevitable. As pissed and judgmental as everyone is on the subject, I'd rather have Revis and his holdouts than Big Ben the rapist, or Brandon who gets his buddy killed in a bar. All things considered, the need for more money isn't the worst vice a pro athlete can have.

It'll be a lot easier for the offense to score one more point than the defense gives up if the defense is giving up fewer points while simultaneously giving the offense more opportunities to score. This offense needs all the help it can get, even if that help comes from the defense.

Jets can and should offer a bonus in the $12M range on such a deal. Something that pays him the average of the deal this year, then guarantee $40M the rest of the way for injury or skill. That's not unreasonable for either side. At this point it should be about getting the deal done for both sides.

Revis is going to hold out again. They're not going to get around that. 10/$122M sounds completely and totally awesome right now, but five years from now there will be lesser CB's making more money than him, and he'll want more again if he's still the best. That's what you have to put up with this guy if you want his talent on your team. You try to construct a deal that gets him in the building, and makes it difficult for him for hold out - but it's pretty much inevitable. As pissed and judgmental as everyone is on the subject, I'd rather have Revis and his holdouts than Big Ben the rapist, or Brandon who gets his buddy killed in a bar. All things considered, the need for more money isn't the worst vice a pro athlete can have.

It'll be a lot easier for the offense to score one more point than the defense gives up if the defense is giving up fewer points while simultaneously giving the offense more opportunities to score. This offense needs all the help it can get, even if that help comes from the defense.

If you are so sure Revis is going to hold out again, then you don't give him any signing bonus. At least then if he holds out later you've only paid him for seasons he's played.

I don't see what's the big deal with insisting that a player show up in order to get paid. Hence, guaranteed money instead of up-front money.

One could easily make the case that Revis deserves a pay raise. He does not deserve a signing bonus because you earn that with trust (or in the cases of rookies, a clean slate) as well as good play. Revis has shown the good play part but has shown himself to be distrustful in this regard. Two holdouts, then faking an injury, then lying about it, and now it seems lying about the Jets never offering him any guaranteed money.

I want him in camp and on the field. But he is undeserving of any signing bonus. A guy like Revis must show up to get paid. Only way to deal with him.

Revis is listening to his agents and they are going to get him the most they can. I would be willing to bet Revis has THEM on some type of deadline and when that time comes he will be in camp. Hes doing whats best for him right now but you have to know this is killing him because the guy loves the game. Just let it play out he will be here for game 1

If you are so sure Revis is going to hold out again, then you don't give him any signing bonus. At least then if he holds out later you've only paid him for seasons he's played.

I don't see what's the big deal with insisting that a player show up in order to get paid. Hence, guaranteed money instead of up-front money.

One could easily make the case that Revis deserves a pay raise. He does not deserve a signing bonus because you earn that with trust (or in the cases of rookies, a clean slate) as well as good play. Revis has shown the good play part but has shown himself to be distrustful in this regard. Two holdouts, then faking an injury, then lying about it, and now it seems lying about the Jets never offering him any guaranteed money.

I want him in camp and on the field. But he is undeserving of any signing bonus. A guy like Revis must show up to get paid. Only way to deal with him.

I'm sure he's going to hold out again, but I'm also sure he's not signing any contract that pays him just $550K, or $1M, or whatever, this year. He needs to be compensated in that $12M range the first year, or he's not showing up. So either give it to him in a relatively modest bonus or give it to him in a pay raise. Or don't. But if you don't, you're preparing for the season without him.

Both sides can claim victory with a 10/$120M deal that pays $12M up front. And at this point, you need a deal that allows both sides to claim victory. That's the big deal with insisting that a player show up to get paid. If you do that, he just won't show. And as much fun, or satisfying, it might be to take that hard line against the player, it doesn't help the team at all. Meanwhile, giving him $12M this year doesn't hurt the team. It just gets the team's best player back on the field.

The Jets and MEvi$ may have an intractable problem.

It appears that MEvi$ is insisting on fully guaranteed money.

(His side is saying the Jets didn't offer any guaranteed money, and the Jets are saying they have offered $40 million in injury guarantees. Neither side is lying, both sides are spinning by calling it guaranteed or saying it is not guaranteed.)

The Jets can not offer him (much) fully guareanteed money under the CBA. Not a matter of not wanting to, they are not allow to.

If I was the Jets, I would give a deadline to Mevi$. He has until september 6th, a week before the home opener. If he accepts, then that's great. If not, pull the offer out and let his a$$ wait. **** him.

I agree, but I would put a shorter fuse on the deadline. It is cure-it or kill-it time. Either he signs and gets with the program, or we remove this distraction once and for all. Deal him in the off season -- his trade value will be no lower than it is now.

I agree, but I would put a shorter fuse on the deadline. It is cure-it or kill-it time. Either he signs and gets with the program, or we remove this distraction once and for all. Deal him in the off season -- his trade value will be no lower than it is now.

The problem is I don't think the Jets would want draft picks.

Just getting this funny feeling Revis will sign a huge deal, then will be out of shape and get hurt early in the season. Maybe it is just that negative Jets energy that keeps creeping up

I wish there was some confirmation of what he is doing now. I am sure he is in shape, but is he in football shape?

Archived