Revis says we could be in same contract problem a couple years from now.

redman81

Was flipping through the channels on football games and caught part of the NBC half time report( side note- I can't stand seeing Rodney Harrison's gay face on tv). On the show, they were talking about how two years from now Revis is only supposed to make 13 million over the final two years of his contract, and they asked Peter King what Revis said to him about this. His reply was that Revis told him that if his play continues to stay at the level it is right now that we could possibly end up in the same situation we had this offseason. This had better be some bullsh*t on his part. If he pulls the same crap again I will wish nothing but the worst for him and his family. STFU and play the damn length of your contract out, then we can deal with what you deserve to get paid.

Hey, slats, I thought the whole issue was guaranteed money?

Revis is talking about holding out again in 2 yrs so he can get $16 million a yr then.

The interesting thing is that if Revis will hold out he'd be doing that with FIVE YEARS left on his deal (the 3 voidable yrs kick in with a holdout).

Revis is talking about holding out again in 2 yrs so he can get $16 million a yr then.

They didn't say anything about what he would possibly be holding out for.

The interesting thing is that if Revis will hold out he'd be doing that with FIVE YEARS left on his deal (the 3 voidable yrs kick in with a holdout).

5 years left??? My understanding is he has a 4 yr contract from right now, that's it. The old stuff is torn up and gone.

5 years left??? My understanding is he has a 4 yr contract from right now, that's it. The old stuff is torn up and gone.

Revis signed a 4 yr deal which turns to a 7 yr deal if he holds out at any time in his 1st 4 yrs.

Thus, if he holds out in 2 yrs he'd have 5 yrs left rather than 2.

Me? I'm gonna stick to the premise that actions speak louder than words and see what happens. No reason to buy into some hearsay report about what might happen two years from now. That would be silly. I'm just not used to seeing that kind of panty-bunched hysteria here.

Of course, I also said I wouldn't've given him the bigger money upfront, because he's definitely a holdout risk. You have to think the Jets recognize that, right? I mean, Tanny's a genius and stuff. That's why I think it's essentially a 3/$40M deal, that the team will tell him to play for his lousy $7.5M in the third year, and they'll redo it again before the fourth.

I saw that

peter king said mevi$' quote was "if I keep playing the way I do, we'll be in the same situation again"

**** mevi$

she's a ****

I have never hated a jet, not even gastineau or abraham, but I hate mevi$ the ****

1st, you're taking a very asinine question and off the cuff answer delivered by a third party way too seriously.

2nd, the deal Revis signed very much takes the fact that there is no CBA into account. A huge chunk of the money will be paid out at the end of the current NFL calender year before either a lockout happens or the new CBA goes into effect, thus limiting the potential cap hit in year two. Revis and the Jets will work out the details of a longterm retirement deal during the 2011 season if it happens.

To nit pick, its not a 4 year deal that turns into a 7 year deal. It starts out at 7 years with just $9M being paid in the last three. If Revis doesn't hold out in the first four years he can opt out of the last three.

Anyway, I think the Jets foresaw all this. The Jets understand what Revis is too simple minded to understand, the Aso contract is an aberration. In two years at the most the Aso contract will be gone and with a new CBA its unlikely that salaries will be rising. So two years from now Revis may well be the highest paid cornerback with his current contract. And if he's not he won't be far behind by much.

I said it before, Revis is Golum and the Aso contract is his ring of power. But in two years the Aso contract is gone.

Actually, it's a 4-year contract with a 3-year extension (unless Revis buys back the voidable years left beginning in year 5).

How many of us already figured he would attempt this in year 4?

For him to come out & say he intends to hold out in year 3, when he will still be making an estimated 8-mil for that season (32 Million - Guaranteed) - He's a Putz!

I can only hope that the reason he is expecting to hold out in 2013 is because he has no intention of buying back the last 3 years of this new contract. This way the Jets can put the screws to him when they (Organization) sues him!

1st, you're taking a very asinine question and off the cuff answer delivered by a third party way too seriously.

2nd, the deal Revis signed very much takes the fact that there is no CBA into account. A huge chunk of the money will be paid out at the end of the current NFL calender year before either a lockout happens or the new CBA goes into effect, thus limiting the potential cap hit in year two. Revis and the Jets will work out the details of a longterm retirement deal during the 2011 season if it happens.

I just go by what I hear, and mevi$ said a holdout is not only possible, but likely

and this is a week after ending her 2nd holdout in 3 years

lets see how everyone else feels when she makes it 3 holdouts in 5 years

Me? I'm gonna stick to the premise that actions speak louder than words and see what happens. No reason to buy into some hearsay report about what might happen two years from now. That would be silly. I'm just not used to seeing that kind of panty-bunched hysteria here.

Of course, I also said I wouldn't've given him the bigger money upfront, because he's definitely a holdout risk. You have to think the Jets recognize that, right? I mean, Tanny's a genius and stuff. That's why I think it's essentially a 3/$40M deal, that the team will tell him to play for his lousy $7.5M in the third year, and they'll redo it again before the fourth.

Just busting your chops, slats. :lol:

Jets win a SB in the next 2 yrs I won't give a sh*t. Mevi$ is a greedy bastard, we all know that.

Another Revis holdout could be coming in two years

Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2010 5:37 PM ET

With Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis set to earn $32.5 million in 2010 and 2011 combined and then only (only?) $13.5 million in 2012 and 2013 combined, we firmly believe that Revis will be holding out again two years from now, absent a true retirement contract from the Jets.

Revis himself has chimed in on the issue, sharing with Peter King a quote that will give Jets fans something more tangible to worry about in 2012 than the predictions from the Mayans.

Asked by King whether Revis could hold out again after the first two years of the deal, Revis said, "That's a great question. If I continue to play ball like I usually do, we'll probably be back at that same position we were this year."

That said, the Revis contract includes one fairly important term aimed at encouraging Revis to show up for each of the next four years. The three voidable years covering 2014 through 2016 go away only if Revis doesn't hold out over the next four. And when those three years evaporate, the Jets can't use the franchise or transition tag on Revis.

Frankly, if Revis didn't care about being under contract for three more years without $32.5 million in new money in his pocket, he won't care about being under contract for five more years if he holds out. Indeed, he didn't flinch at the prospect of losing the guarantee applicable to $20 million he was due to earn in 2010 and 2011, and he wasn't concerned about losing a year of service by holding out past August 10.

Still, if Revis "continue to play ball like I usually do," look for the Jets to get him locked up for the long term before he'd hold out again

What might be good news for the Jets is that, in two years, the Nnamdi contract will be gone, Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson will be done (if not retired), and there doesn't seem to be any young, up-and-coming CB's that will break the bank anytime soon. It could be a situation where, by the time Revis is ready to revisit this contract, getting $8-$9 mil per is the cieling for CB's. If that's the case, the Jets would be smart to rip up the deal and lock him up long-term at that rate, giving him a measly $2-3 mil bump.

We are not paying you more. We are not trading you. We are not releasing you. And we're keeping you for the full 5. Hold out if you must, but we're done with this.

I don't see any other position you could possibly take.

Agree with this 100%

They guy will have made what, between 40-50M from the Jets at that point? You crush him after that.

Archived