The Francesa-Jets feud

stoicsentry

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/neil-best/francesa-s-dial-isn-t-jet-set-1.2600499

Mike Francesa was fresh off another verbal sparring session with Jets fans, but he sounded energized and ready to go another four rounds. That was a good thing for him, seeing as how it was only Monday.

"Jets fans feel I'm anti-Jet, and I'm sure the Jets feel I'm anti-Jet,'' the WFAN host said on his way home. "But the Jets are clearly anti-me. Do I feel the Jets are anti-me? Absolutely.''

So it has gone for the Emperor of New York sports radio, whose year-old feud with the Jets has added another ring to the Rex Ryan circus recently.

AFC PLAYOFFS: Jets- Colts box score | Jets-Colts photos

JETS FAN ZONE: Blog | Tracker | Roster | Stats

On one hand, the story line has been invaluable fodder for Francesa's show. "The fact the Jets fans feel it's them against me I think has increased the intensity of the program,'' he said.

On the other, he risks straining listeners' patience and hurting his credibility if he is perceived to have a bias against the team. To many listeners, that already is self-evident.

Francesa said he strives to be "very fair'' in his analysis. But he admitted the Jets get no benefit of the doubt from him.

"They have sided with my competitor to try to hurt me,'' he said. "I don't think that's going to make me feel very warm and fuzzy about them.''

Francesa was referring to the Jets' policies for 1050 ESPN, their programming partner, relative to WFAN. More about that later. First, this: The team insists it has no problem with Francesa.

"I feel like he's a person that has an opinion and he's entitled to share it and he's well respected in the marketplace and that's his obligation to his listeners,'' Jets media relations chief Bruce Speight said. "There's not a feud from our perspective.''

Said Francesa: "Baloney.''

The trouble began last January when the Jets told WFAN the players would be limited to 1050 during the playoffs. Speight called it a "mutual decision'' between the team and station.

Francesa saw it as an inappropriate means of helping a partner that has fared badly in the ratings and a step the Knicks and Rangers, also 1050 partners, declined to take.

ESPN doesn't allow its personalities on WFAN, which Francesa said he understands. "But no way a team should ever agree to something like this,'' he said.

The Jets loosened the policy after last season's playoffs, making some players available to WFAN on a limited basis, plus Ryan once in the offseason and once in November.

After the Jets assured the station in the fall they had not blackballed Francesa - "There is not a ban against Mike Francesa's show," Speight reasserted Monday - WFAN operations manager Mark Chernoff offered Ryan to Francesa.

"I said, 'Absolutely not. Put him on midday,' '' Francesa said.

Since then, Jets players have appeared on other WFAN shows, but Speight said Francesa has not requested one all season. Francesa confirmed that.

Francesa said he does not like being told whom he can interview and when. "I said, 'You can take your guests; I have no interest in them.' ''

The strains have affected his once-close relationship with general manager Mike Tannenbaum. "The guy I saw on 'Hard Knocks,' I don't even know who that Mike was, to be honest with you,'' Francesa said. "I didn't know who that buffoon was.''

The Jets are the talk of the town, but the talk comes with a sharp edge to it on WFAN each afternoon.

"They can say what they want, but they agreed with the plea of their rights-holder to see if they could help them and hopefully injure me,'' Francesa said. "I've never heard of a team doing that. What team would do that to the biggest sports show in town?''

Sound bites

NBC's Cris Collinsworth was excellent during the Jets-Colts game Saturday, explaining in real time what coaches and players later confirmed they were doing. The capper was anticipating the Jets would look to Braylon Edwards in one-on-one coverage to set up the winning FG.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have access, cut and paste the text. Because accessing any Cablevision/Optimum site is a total pain in the keister. Best's column and blog were always a fun read, until Newsday was sold to Dolan/Cablevision. The it was locked up.

Sorry, will do so in first post now.

Nice...he's basically admitting that he's biased? Yet, the powers that be over at WFAN see no problem with this. I hope he chokes on a pretzel as he's guzzling down a full bowl of them in one bite. Fat bastard.

Nice...he's basically admitting that he's biased? Yet, the powers that be over at WFAN see no problem with this. I hope he chokes on a pretzel as he's guzzling down a full bowl of them in one bite. Fat bastard.

thats what drives ratings. hatred is more popular than radio fellatio.

Sad thing is my fellow Jets fans have fallen for this sh!t all season even though i've tried to warn them.

Well, he said that he is "fair", he just doesn't give the Jets any "benefit of the doubt", whatever that means.

Lol. Ratings King for 20 years vs. NY team that can't sell tickets. Advantage: Francesa.

No one listens to Kay. He can interview every Jets every day, fellate them for five minutes apiece, and his ratings will still get smoked by Francesa doing a Jets-bashing session for 5 hours.

Max publishes the Rex, Schottenheimer and Sanchez press conference transcripts in here every time they're released and nobody ever reads them because nothing of relevance is ever said. They're off the first page within hours, replaced by "Sanchez/Schotty/Rex Blows" threads. It's how fans think, and what fans react to. Player access is relatively worthless.

Also, you guys can ask Max what kind of hoops the Jets make you jump through to get that access. We tried for years here to get some sort of access--whether it be a press pass or a credential to get closer to the field at training camp. You basically have to give the Jets a blood oath that you'll never print anything negative about them. So, when you see sites with access cough, know that they've sold their soul to become Woody's cheerleader.

Lol. Ratings King for 20 years vs. NY team that can't sell tickets. Advantage: Francesa.

No one listens to Kay. He can interview every Jets every day, fellate them for five minutes apiece, and his ratings will still get smoked by Francesa doing a Jets-bashing session for 5 hours.

Max publishes the Rex, Schottenheimer and Sanchez press conference transcripts in here every time they're released and nobody ever reads them because nothing of relevance is ever said. They're off the first page within hours, replaced by "Sanchez/Schotty/Rex Blows" threads. It's how fans think, and what fans react to. Player access is relatively worthless.

Also, you guys can ask Max what kind of hoops the Jets make you jump through to get that access. We tried for years here to get some sort of access--whether it be a press pass or a credential to get closer to the field at training camp. You basically have to give the Jets a blood oath that you'll never print anything negative about them. So, when you see sites with access cough, know that they've sold their soul to become Woody's cheerleader.

I see what you did there. Sooth *cough* Sooth.

True but it has definitely in "some" instances slanted the way he talks about the team.

Mike is a Manning fan. One of the biggest and this all began when he belittled the Jet win last December after the Colts pulled their starters. Both he and the Jets were small at how they handled that. This DOES EXPLAIN why he gave the Jets zero credit for the Cincy and SD play-off wins. For a multi millionaire you would think he woud be bigger than this.

Nice job fellating Francesca Tom. :blink:

Content is king, and access to players and coaches for a radio station is content. It would not hurt.

If the Jets' goal is to not have negative press, they really aren't doing a very good job of it.

I remember the Jets getting pissy with Mike and the Maddog back during the Herm era for criticizing the coaching staff..lol..and the Jets avoided their show back then too. I really dont think this is anything new here. and really, who ******* cares?

Oh wait, I know who cares. that loser Matt from westchester :rl:

I remember the Jets getting pissy with Mike and the Maddog back during the Herm era for criticizing the coaching..lol..and the Jets avoided their show back then too. I really dont think this is anything new here. and really, who ******* cares?

Oh wait, I know who cares. that loser Matt from westchester :rl:

a. you are not funny.

b. using emoticons does not help

c. you are really a mod ?

a. you are not funny.

b. using emoticons does not help

c. you are really a mod ?

a. I have never ever laughed at any of your posts. nor do I remember any being funny.

B. THIS IS THE INTERNET. DO YOU STRICTLY HAVE SEX IN THE MISSIONARY POSITION?

C. what does me being a mod have to do with anything?

Or are you another loser crying over spilled milk because big bad fat francessa doesnt like the Jets? BOO HOO :1cry:

a. I have never ever laughed at any of your posts. nor do I remember any being funny.

B. THIS IS THE INTERNET. DO YOU STRICTLY HAVE SEX IN THE MISSIONARY POSITION?

C. what does me being a mod have to do with anything?

Or are you another loser crying over spilled milk because big bad fat francessa doesnt like the Jets? BOO HOO :1cry:

WAIT! and best of all..this is from somebody who pm'd me months ago and cried to me that he was putting me on ignore

:rl:

Francesa is da God Father, but he is also a product of WFAN's signal, which stretches its tentacles wayyyyyyyy below the Mason Dixie and up toward the Canadian border.

He jerks off with a belt around his neck. Don't mind him.

Awe man, you forgot to mention my mother father wife and children. you're slipping. I wasnt the loser waiting on the phone for hours pounding his fist in his crib trying to call into Francessa. that was you my loser friend. maybe Larz tried calling in today too? :rl:

Archived