So.....the draft?

Matt39

All things being equal, best front seven guy.

Subject to change if they overpay Harris and let Holmes and/or Edwards go.

I think the defensive backfield is in decent shape, even if they don't extend Cromartie.

All things being equal, best front seven guy.

Subject to change if they overpay Harris and let Holmes and/or Edwards go.

I think the defensive backfield is in decent shape, even if they don't extend Cromartie.

They still need to find someone that can make plays on the football. Lowery is really the only guy with any ability to ball hawk.

We're going to move around. I could see us trading down for more this season, even though our move is normally togo up under Tanny.

We need some bodies in the front 7, especially on the line. Ellis is gone and the likes of Pouha and Jenkins aren't to be relied on. I'd be stunned if our first pick is anywhere else.

The offense is a playcaller away. It's fine, even if we do lose a weapon. Another RB would be nice but you can find them pretty easily.

Picking where we are picking , it's probably going to be BAP .

I don't think so. They are going to pick D line. Our offense is mostly intact and the safety play has been improving. I think Leonard may be on his way out after the broken leg. It just took some time for the others to get into the swing. The coverage has been effective and sometimes downright blanketing of the receivers. It's our inability to get to the Qb that enables them to get free. Just like yesterday's last drive. If we had a natural pass rusher or two,(pace, JT, and BT are NOT IT!) our blitz packages would be devastating. Pouha and devito are nice run stuffers but they have no depth behind them and get no real penetration. No one is able to take on double teams or beat their man one on one. D line is a major priority even if they address is in FA.

i feel like with d-linemen like devito and pouha, it sort of shows that unless they are freaks with production (which none other than maybe you could argue Fairley has shown), you don't necessarily need one of these "great college linemen" in the first round, and frankly after the ghoulston debacle, they'd be crazy too

i'd really like to pick up Rahim Moore, Casey Matthews, the other dl from auburn.. blanc? and maybe another RB like Witherspoon from Pitt, or Demarco Murry if he has a bad 40 and drops. The only thing is, these guys are graded all over the place on different websites, so i dont know what rounds you'd pick em up, but i think that would be a great draft

screw d-line in the first round

Picking where we are picking , it's probably going to be BAP .

Yeah, but it'll be weighted by need. They won't take a QB, or a WR (if they resign Edwards and Holmes) in the first round.

I think the needs list would be...

DL

OLB

S

TE

OL

And they'd BAP from there, trying to fill needs first. They'd grab the OL if he was head & shoulders above the rest; but if it was close, they'd take the pass rusher, etc.

Yeah, but it'll be weighted by need. They won't take a QB, or a WR (if they resign Edwards and Holmes) in the first round.

I think the needs list would be...

DL

OLB

S

TE

OL

And they'd BAP from there, trying to fill needs first. They'd grab the OL if he was head & shoulders above the rest; but if it was close, they'd take the pass rusher, etc.

I can't see them picking OL this draft. DT and DE are the biggest needs followed by S,WR,P,K

I can't see them picking OL this draft. DT and DE are the biggest needs followed by S,WR,P,K

That's why I put OL at the bottom of the list, but I still think (and hope & pray) they'd go OL long before they took a P or a K in the first round. With Woody on his last leg, Ducasse still a question mark, and the OL seen as the strength of the team, it's always a possibility.

Pass rushing OLB also has to be seen as a #1 or #1A need.

That's why I put OL at the bottom of the list, but I still think (and hope & pray) they'd go OL long before they took a P or a K in the first round. With Woody on his last leg, Ducasse still a question mark, and the OL seen as the strength of the team, it's always a possibility.

Pass rushing OLB also has to be seen as a #1 or #1A need.

Lol, i didnt think this was limited to the first round. A pass rusher will only be picked in the first round if Ryan thinks he can replace Harris with a stud LB

Then again, what the hell do I know, i was convinced they would not draft CB in last years draft

I'm thinking the first 2 picks are going to the d-line honestly. I can see them going with a DE with their first pick and DT with their second pick. That being said though they won't be picking in the 1st round and them trading down. Didn't we also lose our 2nd rd pick this year because of the Cromartie trade?

Too early to tell. Depends what they do in the trade/FA dept before the draft...And who we choose to re-sign/let go/cut. If I had to guess id say Damien Woody is done with the Jets, as is Gholston, Tony Richardson, Pryce(retire), and Sean Ellis, who I doubt we re-sign. I see us getting back 2 of the 3 between Holmes, Edwards, and Cro. Then there are guys like Brad Smith, Drew Coleman, Brodney Pool, and the like that will probably have to go if the Jets want to re-sign Harris for what he'd probably be worth. Depending on what LT does ( I think he'll play next yr as a Jet), we will probably leave RB alone because we have Greene, LT, and McKnight still on the roster for next year.

I DO NOT THINK, given the productivity by guys like Slauson, Turner, and Hunter this season, that the Jets will even consider drafting OL in the first four or 5 rds of the draft. Callahan has worked wonders with these guys, and I think Rex and the organization as a whole should feel no reason to believe that given an entire offseason of conditioning and studying that he can't develop either Hunter or Ducasse to take over permanantly at RT. If they draft OL in this years draft it will be a project player that they will try to groom for depth purposes.

With the DL... I think the biggest thing is we need some youth. I think Rex and Pettine are really good at developing these guys... And you cant forget about getting guys like Jenks (hopefully) and that guy that was put on IR in the preseason this year that Rex and co. thought was really going to be a key guy for us in that rotation this year. We will look to draft DL in the draft, but I dont think it needs to be enough of a priority to reach at #29 as opposed to going BPA.

Again, it depends a lot on what happens with all the FAs and stuff, but I feel like it would make the most sense for the Jets to trade out of rd 1. With all the depth we will most likely lose in FA this year, itll be more important to draft quantity than quality if you know what I mean.

What should the Jets be looking at?

I still think safety is the biggest need. Last in the league in interceptions.

I'm not sure that drafting a safety will help us there. I think that's a scheming issue more than a personnel one. Our corners play straight up man to man and that is what makes us such a good defense. We use the safeties either in man to man or up against the run. So we don't benefit from the types of interceptions where you have safeties wandering the field. We COULD do that more with a better pass rush. Hey, you wanna say pick up a safety and a pass rusher be my guest.

I'm not sure that drafting a safety will help us there. I think that's a scheming issue more than a personnel one. Our corners play straight up man to man and that is what makes us such a good defense. We use the safeties either in man to man or up against the run. So we don't benefit from the types of interceptions where you have safeties wandering the field. We COULD do that more with a better pass rush. Hey, you wanna say pick up a safety and a pass rusher be my guest.

According to the commentators, the Jets miraculously corrected their mid field problems and covered like stars in the playoffs. Whatever. What is needed is legit pass rush. You usually don;t get it from a DL guy in a 3-4. I say focus on a LB--we need those anyway.

All of these big time pass rushers get neutralized in the playoffs it seems.

because they double team them. if we had a a decent pass rusher and big jenk comes back then you've got a lot of teams running 2 TE sets all game against us. that will limit sacks and sexy stats but will help the secondary immensely.

I feel as though we definitely need help on the Dline and would love any of the following five techniques;

(No particular order)

1) Adrian Clayborn - my personal favorite out of Iowa

2) Cameron Jordan - California

3) J.J. Watt - Wisconsin

4) Cameron Heyward - OSU

5) Allen Bailey - Miami

However, unless Rex, Tanny and co. are amazed by one of these guys, I just don't see them going in this direction with guys like Ropati Pitoitua and Jarron Gilbert coming back or progressing.

Rex seemed pretty impressed by Pito during this training camp:

"It really hurts, because here's a guy that can be a backup end [or] a backup tackle, and he was really developing as a ... [pass] rusher [in sub-defensive schemes], too," coach Rex Ryan said.

"The arrow was pointing up on this guy. It's an unfortunate setback, because I bet he was going to have a big year for us. This was a big loss for us."

Hopefully these two can contribute and we can go OLB with our first pick.

The pass rush is the biggest need...most likely Rex looks at OLB...maybe:

Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma

Von Miller, Texas A&M

Dontay Moch, Nevada

Also cannot see us signing both Braylon and Santonio unless one of them wants to give us a home team discount...not likely...so like to see us target one of these WR with our third round pick:

Titus Young, Boise St

Ronald Johnson, USC

They usually try to fill all the holes before the draft so that they can pick BAP. This year may be the exception because the draft is coming, but the labor situation might not be settled enough to do that. IMO they will have enough DL bodies where it isn't an absolute necessity. I believe that Gilbert, Pouha, Tevaseu, Jenkins, Gholston and Pitoitua will be under contract. They will probably bring back Pryce and Dixon and based on how/why those guys signed they are slam dunks. Gholston and Jenkins are probably gone. Gholston before the draft because of his bonus. They'll sign Kroul to a futures contract. They have already signed a few others to futures deals - AJ Schable, Lorenzo Washington and Carlton Powell. Schable was on the team in '08 preseason and carted off on a stretcher. I think he was playing TE/LS. Spent time with Cards and Seahawks. Powell was a 5th round pick of the Broncos in '08. Fast enough at 4.87 and 300 pounds. He's probably heavier now. Ruptured achilles as a rookie and been bouncing around practice squads. Hold on to your hats, SI compares him to DRob. Washington was a rookie from 'bama that was in camp with the Cowboys and was on the Pats practice squad most of the year. 6'5" 291 5.21 40.

I feel as though we definitely need help on the Dline and would love any of the following five techniques;

(No particular order)

1) Adrian Clayborn - my personal favorite out of Iowa

2) Cameron Jordan - California

3) J.J. Watt - Wisconsin

4) Cameron Heyward - OSU

5) Allen Bailey - Miami

However, unless Rex, Tanny and co. are amazed by one of these guys, I just don't see them going in this direction with guys like Ropati Pitoitua and Jarron Gilbert coming back or progressing.

Rex seemed pretty impressed by Pito during this training camp:

"It really hurts, because here's a guy that can be a backup end [or] a backup tackle, and he was really developing as a ... [pass] rusher [in sub-defensive schemes], too," coach Rex Ryan said.

"The arrow was pointing up on this guy. It's an unfortunate setback, because I bet he was going to have a big year for us. This was a big loss for us."

Hopefully these two can contribute and we can go OLB with our first pick.

I agree with you 100% with Pito. Kid has had two great camps. Rex seemed really impressed with him. I remember on Hard Knocks when Pito was hurt he was really upset.

Problem is the kid has been hurt two years in a row. If he can stay healthy I think he can be a major contributor.

I agree with you 100% with Pito. Kid has had two great camps. Rex seemed really impressed with him. I remember on Hard Knocks when Pito was hurt he was really upset.

Problem is the kid has been hurt two years in a row. If he can stay healthy I think he can be a major contributor.

Actually I don't think he was hurt in 2009. 2008 he was on the practice squad. Last year he played in half the games and I think he was on the roster all season, though I doubt he was active for the 8 games he DNP. It's not unusual for these huge guys to take time to develop. I think he'll be a solid rotation guy. I'm not sure the team looks at DL as a need as much as the board. They like these guys. They love Devito and I think they feel that DL can be filled with later, low impact picks and signings.

we need the one thing we don't have. a cameron wake type pass rusher off the edge. i don't know how we get him but that had to be our main priority this offseason. after that we need d-linemen and safety upgrades. a coverage lb'er is a need also. on offense i think we are pretty good. need a better OC but i doubt we can schotty. hopefully someone hires him away from us

Archived