Movies We've Seen Thread

Enjoyed watching Amazon's Tender Bar last night.  It's based on JR Moehringer's book, The Tender Bar: A Memoir.  Although George Cloony's flick is not getting glowing reviews, I thought it was a very well told story.  Should click with folks like me who lived through the 70s-80s in the NY area.   Ben Affleck is great in the role of Uncle Charlie.  

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Enjoyed watching Amazon's Tender Bar last night.  It's based on JR Moehringer's book, The Tender Bar: A Memoir.  Although George Cloony's flick is not getting glowing reviews, I thought it was a very well told story.  Should click with folks like me who lived through the 70s-80s in the NY area.   Ben Affleck is great in the role of Uncle Charlie.  

Watched it last week. Loved it.  Affleck was really good here.  I couldn't understand why the critics didn't like it because I related to the young JR in so many ways.

I knew from an early scene that I would love it because Affleck tells the him the same exact thing I was told at the same age too (about being an athlete.)  I too grew up without a dad.  I related so much to what this kid went through at one point it was so weird, as everyone around him was telling him the same things I was told as a kid in NY...  I had to stop watching for a while.  

The acting was wonderful and of course, just like in Nobody, who doesn't love an old Christopher Lloyd stealing scenes?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Watched it last week. Loved it.  Affleck was really good here.  I couldn't understand why the critics didn't like it because I related to the young JR in so many ways.

I knew from an early scene that I would love it because Affleck tells the him the same exact thing I was told at the same age too (about being an athlete.)  I too grew up without a dad.  I related so much to what this kid went through at one point it was so weird, as everyone around him was telling him the same things I was told as a kid in NY...  I had to stop watching for a while.  

The acting was wonderful and of course, just like in Nobody, who doesn't love an old Christopher Lloyd stealing scenes?

Wow, thanks for sharing your personal connection to the story, Dcat.   Best part of the flick for me too were the life lessons given to JR by Uncle Charlie, who was really the Dad he never had.  (Loved when he flipped him the keys to the Caddy.)   The bar scenes with the regulars were great as well.  I can see myself in so many of those situations with various relatives and family friends.

Agree on the acting and Christopher Lloyd.  The actor who played the Dad was great too, as you hated the guy's guts.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

im gonna check this out based on this review alone. thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Wow, thanks for sharing your personal connection to the story, Dcat.   Best part of the flick for me too were the life lessons given to JR by Uncle Charlie, who was really the Dad he never had.  (Loved when he flipped him the keys to the Caddy.)   The bar scenes with the regulars were great as well.  I can see myself in so many of those situations with various relatives and family friends.

Agree on the acting and Christopher Lloyd.  The actor who played the Dad was great too, as you hated the guy's guts.  

Well after the movie ended, I realized that one of the reasons I loved the Ben Affleck character so stinking much is that he was the guy I was always looking for as a kid growing up in Queens and Long Island.  My mother did not have a brother, just a jealous sister.  I had my grandfather and a bunch of uncles and cousins some of whom were way cool. Like I said, the stupid movie hit me when I didn't expect it.  Well done Clooney. 

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

2/3rds through The Last Duel. 

Boring as f* k. 

I didn't find it boring, but did not like the flick.  As I mentioned in here a few weeks back, the director did not have the skill to link all three perspectives together in an interesting way.   Plus, Matt Damon was completely miscast.   

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Finally got around to Nobody. Awesome fun.

I wanted/expected a bit more backstory on Hutch.   But overall, what a fun, crazy ride.  Death Wish for this era.

Watched an interesting film last night, Nine Days.  Very imaginative story involving existence (pre & afterlife) and the human soul.   First time director, Edson Oda, does a fantastic job weaving us into a complex concept.  The cast, led by Winston Duke, is top notch.  Duke's emotional reading of Whitman's "Song of Myself" is beyond powerful and should not be missed.  Zazie Beetz continues to be be beguiling.  Highly recommend this one.

43 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I wanted/expected a bit more backstory on Hutch.   But overall, what a fun, crazy ride.  Death Wish for this era.

It’s funny, my wife said she wanted to know more - I told her the events of the movie told us all we needed to know about the guy. It’s not an origin story for a super hero. It’s more Taken meets John Wick meets Falling Down.

I like that they kept Hutch’s background enigmatic. It made it more fun, in my opinion. More WTF didn’t see that coming aspects to it, than if they were like “oh, he’s ex special ops” after that ut becomes formulaic.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It’s funny, my wife said she wanted to know more - I told her the events of the movie told us all we needed to know about the guy. It’s not an origin story for a super hero. It’s more Taken meets John Wick meets Falling Down.

I like that they kept Hutch’s background enigmatic. It made it more fun, in my opinion. More WTF didn’t see that coming aspects to it, than if they were like “oh, he’s ex special ops” after that ut becomes formulaic.

I can see your perspective.  Really, all I wanted to know was if Hutch's wife knew his background.  She just seemed totally disconnected, and too accepting, of the madness that was happening to their family and home.

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I can see your perspective.  Really, all I wanted to know was if Hutch's wife knew his background.  She just seemed totally disconnected, and too accepting, of the madness that was happening to their family and home.

She did. Sorta. She knew how to patch him up like a pro… part of me wondered if she was actually an assigned wife. Hence the divider pillow. When she patched him up I realized it’s just a marriage rift strained by mundane life. 

End of film she knew the need for a basement. She knows the life. She knows his bg.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

She did. Sorta. She knew how to patch him up like a pro… part of me wondered if she was actually an assigned wife. Hence the divider pillow. When she patched him up I realized it’s just a marriage rift strained by mundane life. 

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  I had the same thought about a faux wife.  She took care of his wounds like it was a normal thing.   Guess maybe they did give enough of an eye wink on the wife.  I just wish they could have thrown in some tiny aspect to tie the wife into the old days.   But I'm nit picking.  The flick was fantastic, especially Odenkirk.

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Finally got around to Nobody. Awesome fun.

58 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

End of film she knew the need for a basement. She knows the life. She knows his bg.

55 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  I had the same thought about a faux wife.  She took care of his wounds like it was a normal thing.   Guess maybe they did give enough of an eye wink on the wife.  I just wish they could have thrown in some tiny aspect to tie the wife into the old days.   But I'm nit picking.  The flick was fantastic, especially Odenkirk.

Loved Nobody. Yes, a lot of good fun.  Was not expecting him to be who he was. 

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

I thought Ben Affleck was awful. And I like some of his work. 

Agree that he was terrible in the flick.  But a mile better than Matt damon's train wreck of a performance.

If you like Affleck (I do in a bunch of flicks), check out Tender Bar, which Dcat and I discussed above.  He's wonderful in the movie.

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Regarding Damon's role... agree 100 percent on him being completely miscast ... who would have been better ... like football ... i feel like the talent is waning.

The Rock. Or Dave Bautista. 

LOL. Kidding. 

Maybe Michael Fasbender, Tom Hardy or James McCavoy  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Agree that he was terrible in the flick.  But a mile better than Matt damon's train wreck of a performance.

If you like Affleck (I do in a bunch of flicks), check out Tender Bar, which Dcat and I discussed above.  He's wonderful in the movie.

I’ll put it on the list. 

And Casey Affleck may be a dick but he was awesome in Gone Baby Gone. 

Top 50 movie all time. Gets better every time I watch it. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2021 at 9:38 AM, munchmemory said:

@Peace Frog @Dcat Binged the final four episodes of The Night Of last night.   No doubt, one of the finest series I've ever watched.  Everyone involved, especially John Turturro, were brilliant in their roles.  Great storylines as well, especially the feet odyssey. lol   Thanks again.

@Peace Frog

Hey guys...  I didn't even know that Michael K Williams (Freddy Knight in The Night Of) died in September.   His work on The Wire and as Chalky in Boardwalk Empire was really great.

He died of a Fentanyl/heroin overdose.  Police have video of him purchasing on the street in Brooklyn and just arrested 4 drug dealers and charged them with his murder.  Holy crap.

The United States Department of Justice
Southern District of New York

Search form

You are here

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Four Defendants Arrested In Connection With The Overdose Death Of Michael K. Williams

Damian Williams, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and Keechant Sewell, the Commissioner of the New York City Police Department (“NYPD”), announced that IRVIN CARTAGENA, a/k/a “Green Eyes,” was charged in a criminal complaint unsealed yesterday in Manhattan federal court with a narcotics conspiracy in which he distributed the fentanyl-laced heroin that resulted in the death of Michael K. Williams.  In another criminal complaint unsealed today, co-conspirators HECTOR ROBLES, a/k/a “Oreja,” LUIS CRUZ, a/k/a “Mostro,” and CARLOS MACCI, a/k/a “Carlito,” were charged as members of the fentanyl and heroin conspiracy.  CARTAGENA was arrested in Puerto Rico yesterday and is expected to be presented tomorrow in federal court in Puerto Rico.  ROBLES, CRUZ, and MACCI were arrested yesterday and will be presented today in Manhattan federal court before United States Magistrate Judge Stewart D. Aaron.

U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said: “Michael K. Williams, a prominent actor and producer, tragically overdosed in his New York City apartment from fentanyl-laced heroin. Today, along with our law enforcement partners at the NYPD, we announce the arrests of members of a drug crew, including Irvin Cartagena, the man who we allege sold the deadly dose of drugs to Michael K. Williams.  This is a public health crisis.  And it has to stop.  Deadly opioids like fentanyl and heroin don’t care about who you are or what you’ve accomplished.  They just feed addiction and lead to tragedy.  The Southern District of New York and our law enforcement partners will not give up.  We will bring every tool to bear.  And we will continue to hold accountable the dealers who push this poison, exploit addiction, and cause senseless death.”

NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said:  “As these federal charges show, the NYPD’s narcotics and precinct detectives in Brooklyn North lived this case, never relenting in their investigation until they could bring a measure of justice to Michael K. Williams and his family. It is a level of dedication the NYPD carries out in every case, from beginning to end, in every instance where criminals peddle narcotics and prey on the innocent, and where people die from illegal drugs. I commend our NYPD investigators, working closely with their federal partners in the United States Attorney’s Office, in the Southern District of New York, for their work to clean up this long-embattled block in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and for their sustained commitment to follow every lead this case wrought, from New York City to Puerto Rico and back.”

According to the allegations in the complaints[1]:

Since at least in or about August 2020, a drug trafficking organization (the “DTO”) has been operating in the vicinity of 224 South 3rd Street in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York.  The DTO sells heroin laced with fentanyl and a fentanyl analogue on the street in front of, and from an apartment inside of, the apartment building located at 224 South 3rd Street, among other places.  On or about September 5, 2021, members of the DTO sold Michael K. Williams heroin, which was laced with fentanyl and a fentanyl analogue, with CARTAGENA executing the hand-to-hand transaction, as shown in the below screenshots from surveillance video.

Williams died as a result of using that fentanyl-laced heroin.  Despite knowing that Williams died after being sold the DTO’s product, CARTAGENA, ROBLES, CRUZ, and MACCI continued to sell fentanyl-laced heroin, in broad daylight, amidst residential apartment buildings, in Brooklyn and Manhattan.     

CARTAGENA, 39, of Brooklyn, New York; ROBLES, 57, of Brooklyn, New York; CRUZ, 56, of Brooklyn, New York; and MACCI, 70, of Brooklyn, New York, are each charged with conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute fentanyl analogue, fentanyl, and heroin, which carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years in prison and a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison.  CARTAGENA is also charged with causing the death of Williams in connection with the narcotics conspiracy, which carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 years in prison and a maximum sentence of life in prison.  The statutory minimum and maximum penalties are prescribed by Congress and are provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendants will be determined by the judge.

Mr. Williams praised the outstanding investigative work of the NYPD and the New York/New Jersey High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) Intelligence Analysts.  Mr. Williams also thanked the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (“OCDETF”) New York Strike Force, the United States Marshals Service, the New York/New Jersey Regional Fugitive Task Force, and the New York Division of the DEA for their assistance in this case.

This case is being handled by the Office’s Narcotics Unit.  Assistant United States Attorneys Micah Fergenson and David Robles are in charge of the prosecution.

The charges contained in the complaints are merely accusations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty. 

[1] As the introductory phrase signifies, the entirety of the text of the complaints, and the description of the complaints set forth herein, constitute only allegations, and every fact described should be treated as an allegation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

@Peace Frog

Hey guys...  I didn't even know that Michael K Williams (Freddy Knight in The Night Of) died in September.   His work on The Wire and as Chalky in Boardwalk Empire was really great.

He died of a Fentanyl/heroin overdose.  Police have video of him purchasing on the street in Brooklyn and just arrested 4 drug dealers and charged them with his murder.  Holy crap.

Yeah I remember that happening.  He was great in that show.  Sad what Fentanyl is doinf to people.  

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

@Peace Frog

Search form

You are here

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Four Defendants Arrested In Connection With The Overdose Death Of Michael K. Williams

Damian Williams, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and Keechant Sewell, the Commissioner of the New York City Police Department (“NYPD”), announced that IRVIN CARTAGENA, a/k/a “Green Eyes,” was charged in a criminal complaint unsealed yesterday in Manhattan federal court with a narcotics conspiracy in which he distributed the fentanyl-laced heroin that resulted in the death of Michael K. Williams.  In another criminal complaint unsealed today, co-conspirators HECTOR ROBLES, a/k/a “Oreja,” LUIS CRUZ, a/k/a “Mostro,” and CARLOS MACCI, a/k/a “Carlito,” were charged as members of the fentanyl and heroin conspiracy.  CARTAGENA was arrested in Puerto Rico yesterday and is expected to be presented tomorrow in federal court in Puerto Rico.  ROBLES, CRUZ, and MACCI were arrested yesterday and will be presented today in Manhattan federal court before United States Magistrate Judge Stewart D. Aaron.

U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said: “Michael K. Williams, a prominent actor and producer, tragically overdosed in his New York City apartment from fentanyl-laced heroin. Today, along with our law enforcement partners at the NYPD, we announce the arrests of members of a drug crew, including Irvin Cartagena, the man who we allege sold the deadly dose of drugs to Michael K. Williams.  This is a public health crisis.  And it has to stop.  Deadly opioids like fentanyl and heroin don’t care about who you are or what you’ve accomplished.  They just feed addiction and lead to tragedy.  The Southern District of New York and our law enforcement partners will not give up.  We will bring every tool to bear.  And we will continue to hold accountable the dealers who push this poison, exploit addiction, and cause senseless death.”

NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said:  “As these federal charges show, the NYPD’s narcotics and precinct detectives in Brooklyn North lived this case, never relenting in their investigation until they could bring a measure of justice to Michael K. Williams and his family. It is a level of dedication the NYPD carries out in every case, from beginning to end, in every instance where criminals peddle narcotics and prey on the innocent, and where people die from illegal drugs. I commend our NYPD investigators, working closely with their federal partners in the United States Attorney’s Office, in the Southern District of New York, for their work to clean up this long-embattled block in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and for their sustained commitment to follow every lead this case wrought, from New York City to Puerto Rico and back.”

Since at least in or about August 2020, a drug trafficking organization (the “DTO”) has been operating in the vicinity of 224 South 3rd Street in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York.  The DTO sells heroin laced with fentanyl and a fentanyl analogue on the street in front of, and from an apartment inside of, the apartment building located at 224 South 3rd Street, among other places.  On or about September 5, 2021, members of the DTO sold Michael K. Williams heroin, which was laced with fentanyl and a fentanyl analogue, with CARTAGENA executing the hand-to-hand transaction, as shown in the below screenshots from surveillance video.

Williams died as a result of using that fentanyl-laced heroin.  Despite knowing that Williams died after being sold the DTO’s product, CARTAGENA, ROBLES, CRUZ, and MACCI continued to sell fentanyl-laced heroin, in broad daylight, amidst residential apartment buildings, in Brooklyn and Manhattan.     

CARTAGENA, 39, of Brooklyn, New York; ROBLES, 57, of Brooklyn, New York; CRUZ, 56, of Brooklyn, New York; and MACCI, 70, of Brooklyn, New York, are each charged with conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute fentanyl analogue, fentanyl, and heroin, which carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years in prison and a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison.  CARTAGENA is also charged with causing the death of Williams in connection with the narcotics conspiracy, which carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 years in prison and a maximum sentence of life in prison.  The statutory minimum and maximum penalties are prescribed by Congress and are provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendants will be determined by the judge.

Mr. Williams praised the outstanding investigative work of the NYPD and the New York/New Jersey High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) Intelligence Analysts.  Mr. Williams also thanked the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (“OCDETF”) New York Strike Force, the United States Marshals Service, the New York/New Jersey Regional Fugitive Task Force, and the New York Division of the DEA for their assistance in this case.

This case is being handled by the Office’s Narcotics Unit.  Assistant United States Attorneys Micah Fergenson and David Robles are in charge of the prosecution.

The charges contained in the complaints are merely accusations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty. 

[1] As the introductory phrase signifies, the entirety of the text of the complaints, and the description of the complaints set forth herein, constitute only allegations, and every fact described should be treated as an allegation.

Yeah, read about the investigation and arrests earlier in the week.   Sad way to go out.

What an impressive actor.  He will be missed.

Thanks, Dcat.

Sad to say that I expected better from Guillermo Del Toro's latest effort, Nightmare Alley.   I liked the original film noir version, so was really looking forward to the remake.  Wound up being disappointed in Del Toro's vision and treatment.  It's too long (2.5 hours), takes forever to develop, leaves us asking for more backstories/motivations of many characters, and is even goofy bad in a few spots.  

Bradley Cooper is often excellent in the lead role, especially in the ending sequences.   David Strathairn is great as well in a small role.  Willem Dafoe is a creep fest as Clem. Cate Blanchette I found totally miscast and a disaster in her role as the psychologist.

Overall, 7/10.

On 2/3/2022 at 9:32 AM, Dcat said:

@Peace Frog

Search form

You are here

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Most of the junk on the street the last few years had been laced with Fentanyl. It's why Narcan got short, because Fentanyl is harder to block from the receptors than actual opiates. 

We used to use a max of 2 MG Narcan for ODs. I've been on calls where it took up to 8 MG before it started working. 

Awful stuff. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/16/2022 at 2:03 AM, BurntDice said:

Films of the year for 2021 - 

….

Ghostbusters Afterlife - As a huge Ghostbusters fan this one really hit me in the feelz. The dialog and acting was great in this one. It was overall just a fun ride. 

Spider-Man - I absolutely loved this movie. Probably my favorite super hero movie maybe ever. If you haven’t seen the previous ones then I highly recommend seeing those prior to this one. 

Rented Ghostbusters and watched with the family… great flick for a family movie night with the right amount of nostalgia.  I had really low expectations- which can help- but ended up loving it! 

• Upvote 1

I thought Ghostbusters 3 really had some great moments and for anyone that's watched the original a billion times there is a ton of nostalgia to keep you entertained. It was worth making and worth watching. A few thoughts:

- For anyone that has a love of Harold Ramis and was heartbroken when he passed, it's 100% worth a watch. 

- It's a few hairs too long. I'm not sure what they could have cut out but it just feels like too long of a stretch to get to the payoff at the end. 

- I was a bit crushed to see they completely ignored acknowledging anything from part 2. I get that Ghostbusters 2 wasn't nearly the hit that 1 was but it's held up quite well and the fact that they couldn't squeeze in a Janosz reference was a bummer.

I can't say I'll watch it as much over the years as I have the first two, but it was a nostalgic way to spend a few hours and the last 45 minutes made me feel good. 

• Upvote 1

I'm a huge fan of Wes Anderson's previous work, especially Rushmore.  His latest film, The French Dispatch, was for me a disappointment.  It's almost like he was trying too hard to out Wes Anderson himself. 

As always, the movie is visually stunning.   Incredible cinematography and art direction.  You know in the first shot it's his film style.  But overall, I found the flick a bit boring and confusing.  Too many short stories clog the effort.

Not a terrible film by any stretch.  It's great in spots (Léa Seydoux's body/beauty continues to impress), but comes up short.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I thought Ghostbusters 3 really had some great moments and for anyone that's watched the original a billion times there is a ton of nostalgia to keep you entertained. It was worth making and worth watching. A few thoughts:

- For anyone that has a love of Harold Ramis and was heartbroken when he passed, it's 100% worth a watch. 

- It's a few hairs too long. I'm not sure what they could have cut out but it just feels like too long of a stretch to get to the payoff at the end. 

- I was a bit crushed to see they completely ignored acknowledging anything from part 2. I get that Ghostbusters 2 wasn't nearly the hit that 1 was but it's held up quite well and the fact that they couldn't squeeze in a Janosz reference was a bummer.

I can't say I'll watch it as much over the years as I have the first two, but it was a nostalgic way to spend a few hours and the last 45 minutes made me feel good. 

I enjoyed the new Ghostbusters, my 9 year old was into it which was cool (he's not really into non cartoon movies yet). A lot more enjoyable than the boring female Ghostbusters movie that came out a few years ago. 

On 1/8/2022 at 2:41 PM, Peace Frog said:

So….watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada last night. This was a really good “film”.  What an interesting/quirky story beautifully shot, directed and acted (outstanding as usual) by Tommy Lee Jones. It’s a bit older (2005) but not dated. 

Incredible cast with Jones, Barry Pepper, Dwight Yoakam, January Jones (what a doll), Melissa Leo, Julio Caesar Cedillo and a great cameo by Levon Helms. 

A slow burn, at 2 hours might seem a bit much but really really well done. A border crossing story with a twist. 

A cross between No Country For Old Men (not nearly as great, no psychopath killer and not a lot of violence) and Lonesome Dove. With some Tarantino skipping back and forth in the timeline. Serious, sad, funny, heartbreaking, intelligent.  

A film that gets you to think about it for a while after. 

Pepper is great in it and Tommy Lee Jones is….Tommy Lee Jones. 

Recommended if you’re not looking for a shoot em up or romcom, more of a modern day western.  

Finally watched it last night.   Dead on review.  I enjoyed the slow build up and complex story.  

TLJ is his usual fantastic in the lead role.  He did a great job directing the film as well.  And the landscapes are stunning.

Thanks again for the recommendation.