Movies We've Seen Thread

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Finally watched it last night.   Dead on review.  I enjoyed the slow build up and complex story.  

TLJ is his usual fantastic in the lead role.  He did a great job directing the film as well.  And the landscapes are stunning.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

How cute was January Jones?

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

BTW, between Mark Hamill's "appearance" in the last Boba Fett episode and Harold Ramis's appearance in the last Ghostbusters movie, how far away are we from even needing actual actors to film scenes?

I've wondered thay myself.  At a certain point, why not just CGI them all.

I think the absolute funniest (and when I say funny, I mean completely moronic) voice over ever was Vin Diesel as Groot. 

Paid over $54 million for electronically enhanced repeatedly saying "I am Groot".

May or not be true but to get into character he actually climbed up on a 10 foot ladder for hours to practice his lines. 

I mean line. 

$54 million and he could have sat on his sofa and recorded it on his iPhone.

Gotta be the dumbest money ever spent.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

BTW, between Mark Hamill's "appearance" in the last Boba Fett episode and Harold Ramis's appearance in the last Ghostbusters movie, how far away are we from even needing actual actors to film scenes?

Seeing CGI Peter Cushing in Rogue One was some of the most cringe worthy sh*t ever.

And then Leia popped up…but at least Carrie Fisher was still alive at the time.

All of this crap is weird looking. There’s always going to be that uncanny valley effect, no matter how much CGI advances.

22 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Seeing CGI Peter Cushing in Rogue One was some of the most cringe worthy sh*t ever.

And then Leia popped up…but at least Carrie Fisher was still alive at the time.

All of this crap is weird looking. There’s always going to be that uncanny valley effect, no matter how much CGI advances.

I didn't see The Irishman but everyone said the CGI to change the actors to look younger was awful.

7 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

1990s IndianaJet is VERY excited about this.

Looks like Marvel Endgame when they bring everyone back.  If Newman and Samuel Jackson weren't killed in the first one they'd be in this one too.  Waiting for King Kong to make an appearance.  

I have Chris Pratt's rifle from Jurrasic World.  

18 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

More new trailers popping up...

DC montage followed by more Black Adam:

The Adam Project (Netflix):

Firestarter remake:

and this creepy as **** trailer for Men (Alex Garland):

The only one I don't get is the remake of Stephen King's Firestarter.  No need because the original is a classic and will be tough to beat.  I mean how can that character be played by anyone other than a 10 yr old Drew Barrymore?  I guess that anyone under 35 years old won't be familiar with the original and the classic  George C Scott bad guy or Martin Sheen or David Keith.  

But I'll definitely see it.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The only one I don't get is the remake of Stephen King's Firestarter.  No need because the original is a classic and will be tough to beat.  I mean how can that character be played by anyone other than a 10 yr old Drew Barrymore?  I guess that anyone under 35 years old won't be familiar with the original and the classic  George C Scott bad guy or Martin Sheen or David Keith.  

But I'll definitely see it.  

I'll watch it when it hits free streaming, but that's about it.  It seems like half of Hollywood is just about remaking old movies now.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I thought this was terrible. And the ending was such an obvious outcome from very early in the movie.

Yes, I agree, it was obvious.

I didn’t think he was going for the ‘twist’ that so many viewers think is a requirement. I feel he made this movie like writing a novel. It was about foreshadowing, observing the spiral, not about trying to shock the audience. What I was most enamored with - and why I made the comment above - was the art direction. The Art Deco buildings, lighting, costume, it was all pretty great. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes, I agree, it was obvious.

I didn’t think he was going for the ‘twist’ that so many viewers think is a requirement. I feel he made this movie like writing a novel. It was about foreshadowing, observing the spiral, not about trying to shock the audience. What I was most enamored with - and why I made the comment above - was the art direction. The Art Deco buildings, lighting, costume, it was all pretty great. 

Yeah that's a fair point, I would agree the designs were all top notch. 

While not necessarily an Oscar winner, my favorite of his work is Pacific Rim. 

Giant monsters vs. Giant Robots. The end. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JTJet said:

You know what was good about that movie?  It knew exactly what it was.

We are going to have big monsters punch big robots.  Not going to worry about a complex plot, or any of this other stuff, just really big things attacking each other.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You know what was good about that movie?  It knew exactly what it was.

We are going to have big monsters punch big robots.  Not going to worry about a complex plot, or any of this other stuff, just really big things attacking each other.

Far FAR too many movies lose sight of such things.

• Upvote 2

On 2/17/2022 at 6:48 PM, JTJet said:

I like Pacific Rim, but I preferred Hellboy and Pan's Labrynth. 

• Upvote 1

Showtime's Attica documentary is a well done adjoinder to Heather Ann Thompson's book on the uprising from a few years back. I think they could have broken it up into two parts and spent more time on the conditions in the prison and circumstances in the town that led to the uprising, because the point of Thompson's book is that the riot itself and horrific aftermath was a long time coming given everything that had been happening in the prison for generations. Regardless, it's an excellent synthesis of insightful interviews from those that were there and wild footage. It pulls no punches with the roles of race and politics in it all. Harrowing to watch. I enjoyed Thompson's book so much a few years back so to actually see it all was chilling.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some thoughts on The Batman

- It’s the best physical portrayal of Gotham City that’s ever been done. Hands down not even up for debate. 

- It’s a great portrayal of the character. Burton and Nolan always wanted the TDKR Batman, and that’s fine, but Reeves takes a different approach and it’s refreshing. It’s a blend of the Batman from Arkham Asylum and a bunch of old Detective Comics stories. Total 180 from Affleck’s Batman. 

- Paul Dano gives a Heath Ledger-esque performance and his Riddler is 1B to Ledger’s Joker. Just an incredible version of the character that’s straight out of a horror movie. 

- Emo is a dumb word and I don’t think it sums up Pattinson’s Batman at all. Confused is probably a better way to sum it up and I mean that in a good way. Pattinson was probably the ideal guy to take up the role of a smart, traumatized guy constantly questioning what he’s doing. Bale was probably better for the part but that’s not a knock on Pattinson. He’s fine. Bale, Affleck, and Keaton’s Batman were sure of what they were doing and Pattinson’s isn’t. It’s a small difference in iterations that means a whole lot and both have bases in different versions of the comics. 

- Overall first impression it’s the third best Batman movie ever made, with The Dark Knight and Burton’s first being 1 and 2 for me. It was a bit too long but it never felt like it was lagging and I’m also not sure what they could have cut out considering the depth of the story is what gives the Riddler his teeth. Matt Reeves is really a master at taking old premises and giving them a refreshing take that still feels classic. He did it with Apes and now Batman for sure.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Some thoughts on The Batman

- It’s the best physical portrayal of Gotham City that’s ever been done. Hands down not even up for debate. 

- It’s a great portrayal of the character. Burton and Nolan always wanted the TDKR Batman, and that’s fine, but Reeves takes a different approach and it’s refreshing. It’s a blend of the Batman from Arkham Asylum and a bunch of old Detective Comics stories. Total 180 from Affleck’s Batman. 

- Paul Dano gives a Heath Ledger-esque performance and his Riddler is 1B to Ledger’s Joker. Just an incredible version of the character that’s straight out of a horror movie. 

- Emo is a dumb word and I don’t think it sums up Pattinson’s Batman at all. Confused is probably a better way to sum it up and I mean that in a good way. Pattinson was probably the ideal guy to take up the role of a smart, traumatized guy constantly questioning what he’s doing. Bale was probably better for the part but that’s not a knock on Pattinson. He’s fine. Bale, Affleck, and Keaton’s Batman were sure of what they were doing and Pattinson’s isn’t. It’s a small difference in iterations that means a whole lot and both have bases in different versions of the comics. 

- Overall first impression it’s the third best Batman movie ever made, with The Dark Knight and Burton’s first being 1 and 2 for me. It was a bit too long but it never felt like it was lagging and I’m also not sure what they could have cut out considering the depth of the story is what gives the Riddler his teeth. Matt Reeves is really a master at taking old premises and giving them a refreshing take that still feels classic. He did it with Apes and now Batman for sure.

I agree with most of this. I thought Turturro and Kravitz were excellent. Farrell was good, but I wish he had more screen time. Less Alfred than I expected and I was suprisingly underwhelmed by Jeffrey Wright. I didn't mind the length of the movie because it was well paced, but I kinda hated the surprise cameo at the end. 

37 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I agree with most of this. I thought Turturro and Kravitz were excellent. Farrell was good, but I wish he had more screen time. Less Alfred than I expected and I was suprisingly underwhelmed by Jeffrey Wright. I didn't mind the length of the movie because it was well paced, but I kinda hated the surprise cameo at the end. 

I think the goal with Penguin was to give him a good setup but not so much screen time that he took away from Riddler being the focus. Like the point is he has to rise from somewhere, and Reeves has him coming from blowback to the old boss actually trying to be a politician. I really loved when he said “I’m just a proprietor.” Great setup for where his arc was heading. 

They’re doing a spin-off series with Farrell for HBO and I think Reeves has said he’s going to be a constant throughout the franchise. I also loved Kravitz and this isn’t her fault but tbh Michelle Pfeiffer will always be Catwoman to me. She did however have my favorite line of the movie when she looked Batman dead in the eye and said “whoever you are, you obviously grew up rich.” What a mic drop moment. 

• Upvote 1

I can't really comment on "the Batman" 'cuz I'm a comic book movie nerd love all these types of movies but for the first in quite some time, my wife who was a film studies major in college attended the move with me.  She really hates the super hero movie genre and yet she actually enjoyed this one.

This was more a detective movie than anything else.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/29/2022 at 9:33 AM, munchmemory said:

Enjoyed watching Amazon's Tender Bar last night.  It's based on JR Moehringer's book, The Tender Bar: A Memoir.  Although George Cloony's flick is not getting glowing reviews, I thought it was a very well told story.  Should click with folks like me who lived through the 70s-80s in the NY area.   Ben Affleck is great in the role of Uncle Charlie.  

I liked the movie but it killed the story that was told in the book.  Always love slices of life in NYC or the area.  Best part of the movie.  The book is a pretty good read especially if you grew up around Manhassett, Port Washington and Great Neck.  

I think it probably didn't get well reviewed because it deviated so far from the book. 

• Sympathy 1