Movies We've Seen Thread

the batman. man i was so stoked for this. it was decent. too long. i thought the riddler was great. i will need a rewatch in a few months. I wanted to love it but felt underwhelmed.  the new spiderman movie i thought was pretty boring for the first half but loved the second half. love seeing dr. oct and green goblin 

• Upvote 1

The Last of the Mohicans. Jesus. Its literally the most perfect movie ever made. 

No, I didn't just see it. As a matter of fact, it is the only movie I have ever watched and immediately actually bought another ticket for the next showing...my girl at the time was also a huge history buff and joined me ?....

Just watching it again. And it's still ******* perfect. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Last of the Mohicans. Jesus. Its literally the most perfect movie ever made. 

No, I didn't just see it. As a matter of fact, it is the only movie I have ever watched and immediately actually bought another ticket for the next showing...my girl at the time was also a huge history buff and joined me ?....

It’s not even Michael Mann’s best movie you dweeb

On 4/27/2022 at 7:47 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Personally, back then, any movie which included Madeleine Stowe was a can't miss.   You could set your watch for her inevitable topless shot(s).

Loved Last of the Mohicans, too.  Great story, action and gorgeous cinematography.  "Stay alive!  And I will find you!"  My wife and I still quote that line every time we see Daniel day Lewis.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2022 at 10:38 AM, munchmemory said:

Personally, back then, any movie which included Madeleine Stowe was a can't miss.   You could set your watch for her inevitable topless shot(s).

Loved Last of the Mohicans, too.  Great story, action and gorgeous cinematography.  "Stay alive!  And I will find you!"  My wife and I still quote that line every time we see Daniel day Lewis.  

Yes on the cinematography, but was always bummed that was all filmed in North Carolina when the story takes place in the Adirondacks/Lake George/Saratoga. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2022 at 2:21 PM, JetPotato said:

Yes on the cinematography, but was always bummed that was all filmed in North Carolina when the story takes place in the Adirondacks/Lake George/Saratoga. 

They filmed quite a bit around Glenn's Falls from what I understand...my best friend in the Army was from that area and remembered the shoot. 

On 4/30/2022 at 6:26 PM, maury77 said:

I saw Ambulance today. If you need something dumb with good action scenes, it’s watchable, but some of the scenes are completely unbelievable

I saw that the other day. Pretty solid generic action movie. Easy 6/10.

Sonic 2 was good fun too. If you enjoyed the first one the second one is just as good.

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:55 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I just watched the 4K version of Heat and if you prefer Last of the Mohicans to Heat you don't deserve a penis.

Heat, or, "Two amazing action scenes divided by 3 hours of boredom and overacting". 

On 5/6/2022 at 10:55 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I just watched the 4K version of Heat and if you prefer Last of the Mohicans to Heat you don't deserve a penis.

"You don't deserve a penis" is such a chilling reminder of the old culture that existed in this country back in 2018.

• Upvote 1

Saw ambulance the other day. It was pretty good. Great pacing and action scenes Jake Ghylenhaal is so great at playing crazy. 

Seeing the Northman tonight. Super excited. Looks incredible 

Edit for update. Holy sh*t the Northman was amazing. My movie of the year so far 

Saw a 2021 movie called Infinite the other day with Mark Wahlberg.

I was wondering how I could have missed a cool sci fi action movie like this without even having heard of it.

After watching it I now know why. It's a really cool idea and Mark Wahlberg is fine but the movie is pretty meh.

It's watchable but I'd just skip it unless you have nothing better to do. 3.5/10

On 5/7/2022 at 6:41 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Went to Dr Strange 2 with my kid.  

Meh.

You can tell it's a Sam Rami film (in a bad way).  Lot's of Army of Darkness action and feel, just not for me. 

I enjoyed the Raimi elements to it. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I wish the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe would hurtle into a Black Hole Vortex.   This one looks particularly awful.  And I'm a major fan of Tatiana Maslany from her brilliant work on Orphan Black.

Huge MCU fan her who gets excited by just about everything they release. 

This just looks horrific. Even the CGI looks like amateur hour. It's bad enough Hulk is a dork now. But now there's a Sex and The City - Hulk Mashup?

FFS.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

This just looks horrific. Even the CGI looks like amateur hour. It's bad enough Hulk is a dork now. But now there's a Sex and The City - Hulk Mashup?

FFS.

My son just said the same thing as you about the CGI.   lol at your Sex & the City joke.  

41 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I wish the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe would hurtle into a Black Hole Vortex.   This one looks particularly awful.  And I'm a major fan of Tatiana Maslany from her brilliant work on Orphan Black.

It looks horrible but I think it's safe to say middle-aged dudes are not the target for this one and Ms Marvel. For every Spiderman 3 and Doctor Strange 2 there's going to be one of these going forward. The more they can link the entire universe to the app and the parks the more Disney can entrench it. That only happens through diversifying for every single demographic that can possibly exist in a family.  Look at what they've done in LA and Orlando with Star Wars. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Just FYI this is a show. Basically every Marvel and Star Wars show on Disney+ has been hot garbage (with the sole exception of Mandalorian).

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Tried to watch Northman last night but it wasn't very good so turned it off and watched Fantastic Beasts Secrets of Dumbledore which also wasn't great but it was a little better than Northman.

The problem with Fantastic Beasts is they had this great premise: Wizard Steve Irwin finds/saves/collects magical Pokemon. It could be a series of movies but probably works even better as a TV show. He could have maybe a few friends dip in and out of his adventures like they've already established in the movies and say a rival wizard who is some kind of poacher and wants to kill these rare magical creatures for certain body parts to sell them on a wizard black market to make rare potions. Make him like Belloq from Indiana Jones, not necessarily an evil guy but a guy motivated by money. I mean this is the kind of premise that Millennials who grew up with Harry Potter will eat up. You could print money for several years either with films or a tv show or both before audiences started to get bored. And they ruined it all by shoehorning Dumbledore and Grindelwalds convoluted past into it. Each movie has less and less to do with magical creatures (you can even tell by the fact that the title Fantastic Beasts gets smaller on the poster of each movie). Instead we get the same old tired bad guy is literally (wizard) Hitler and needs to be stopped story. It's a fine story but it's just not the story I came for and I think many other people would agree. WB, Yates, JK Rowling, and whoever else decided to do this really ****ed up IMHO. Could have made hundreds of millions if not billions more and instead, sure they'll still make plenty of money, but at the end it's going to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth for the future. We still have two more of these films to suffer through before we get any satisfying conclusion. The one positive is that Mads Mikkelsen continues to be amazing no matter what role he plays, even evil wizard Hitler.

2 hours ago, Nolder said:

Just FYI this is a show. Basically every Marvel and Star Wars show on Disney+ has been hot garbage (with the sole exception of Mandalorian).

Disagree on Marvel shows.

WandaVision was terrific, Falcon and Hawkeye were good, and Moon Knight had its moments. Loki... meh.

If you count Netflix stuff, I rather enjoyed Jessica Jones, esp Season 1. She's got to be the sexiest malnourished chick on the planet. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

WandaVision was terrific, Falcon and Hawkeye were good, and Moon Knight had its moments. Loki... meh.

If you count Netflix stuff, I rather enjoyed Jessica Jones, esp Season 1. She's got to be the sexiest malnourished chick on the planet. 

I liked Falcon and Winter Soldier a lot and thought it had some brilliant moments with its writing. And re: Star Wars, Rebels is fantastic. Not as good as Clone Wars but I don't get how any New Hope fan wouldn't enjoy it.

I'm taking a wait and see approach on She Hulk. The CGI is rough, but that's not uncommon with trailers only to see the final version come out much improved. I'm still an MCU geek and have mostly enjoyed the Disney+ programs. I'd say Moon Knight was my favorite while Falcon and Winter Soldier was probably my least favorite. 

6 hours ago, JetPotato said:

FFS.

Can’t be as bad as the last Batman movie.  Omg what a joke

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, munchmemory said:

This looks terrible.

The MCU is essentially done.   I want to see Guardians 3, and that's it.

• Upvote 2

WandaVision was terrific,

In fairness I didn't see Wandavision.

I have seen a few clips and reviews and from what I can tell it took far too long to get to the point.

I also, just, I don't really like the whole thing they went for from the outset.

Aping on old 1950s style sitcoms and all that...ehhhh.

Maybe this one is more of a personal taste thing but I'm pretty sure I would not have enjoyed Wandavision had I watched it.

Falcon

Falcon and Winter Soldier I watched 2 or 3 episodes of.

I started noticing that I really wasn't interested in Falcon's family drama despite liking him in the movies just fine.

The entire time I just wanted to get back to Bucky but even when we did it seemed like his stuff progressed at a snails pace so I dropped the show.

Honestly that's a big thing about these Disney+ shows: they drag things out too much. There's far too much filler, nostalgia, hanging shots, etc and very little plot progression. It's like I'm watching anime where the characters power up for 10 episodes before finally having their big battle. If you start removing their filler all these shows shrink dramatically. I'm just not willing to sit through 8 or 10 episodes what they could have told in 4-6 if they hadn't strung us along.

and Hawkeye were good,

Hawkeye was probably the final straw for me. I was looking forward to this one and honestly the show isn't even really about him. They slapped the name Hawkeye on it and replaced him in his own show. It's cool if you liked it but for a show named Hawkeye I wanted more Hawkeye than I got.

and Moon Knight had its moments.

I was told Moon Knight was good and I still might check it out but with shows like Peaky Blinders and Better Call Saul wrapping up and a new season of The Boys I probably wont get to it for awhile.

Loki... meh.

Yeah.

I didn't watch Jessica Jones but my buddy did and he said he enjoyed it. I watched Punisher and Iron Fist those were alright.

I didn't watch the crossover thing, whatever they called it, where they all got together.

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

IAnd re: Star Wars, Rebels is fantastic. Not as good as Clone Wars but I don't get how any New Hope fan wouldn't enjoy it.

I forgot about Star Wars Rebels. I haven't watched it but I did hear it was more or less on par with Clone Wars so I'll give you guys that one. Boba Fett was a total mess though. I'm dreading Kenobi because I don't want them to ruin it.

Wandavision - It took too long to get going for me, although it finished stronger and is required viewing if you are going to watch Dr Strange 2.

Falcon and Bucky - I realized that I find Mackie and Stan boring in their roles now that they were the focus. I just didn’t really care for it.

Loki - I really enjoyed it and I think the introduction of Kang at the end is going to have far reaching consequences.

What If - I had a lot of fun with this series.

Hawkeye - It was ok. The whole point was to pass the baton to Kate Bishop (which I expected), however, I can watch Hailee Steinfeld on screen for hours because she’s smoking hot and it was cool to see Kingpin back.

Moon Knight - My favorite so far. Didn’t follow the MCU formula, Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke were excellent and it was cool learning about a character I did not have a lot of familiarity with.

As for the future of the MCU - We still haven’t seen anything related to the Fantastic Four or Mutants, so there is a lot of material to use.

This one looks amazing, I just told my wife that I want to see this one in the theater when it comes out. The kid who plays Elvis is the same guy who played Tex Watson in Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I'll say this the kid looks like a fine equestrian too if that really is him riding that horse in OUaTiH. Austin Butler does a lot of his own singing in this one too. Lisa Marie had this to say about his portrayal of her father:  " I do want to take a moment to let you know that I have seen Baz Luhrmann's movie 'Elvis' twice now, and let me tell you that it is nothing short of spectacular. Absolutely exquisite. Austin Butler channeled and embodied my father's heart and soul beautifully. In my humble opinion, his performance is unprecedented and FINALLY done accurately and respectfully."

In the words of Bart Scott: "Can't WAIT!"

• Post of the Week 1

On 5/7/2022 at 3:55 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Heat is on that list of "movies you stop to watch if you're flipping through the channels".  Every time.  So good.