Movies We've Seen Thread

Saw Zero Dark Thirty. Very good stuff. Lots of build-up and procedural, and the payoff is worth the wait. Chastain does a nice job of playing a CIA analyst whose obsession grows over time, but she might have been a little light in the pants for this particular role. Woulda liked to see a grittier actress, maybe, with a little more gravitas.

'The Impossible', 4/5 stars.

very taught flick about the Thai tsunami.

True story of one families plight and search to find each other.

Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts are fine.

Brought back some brutal memories of original carnage.

Edited by SouthernJet

'Promised Land', 3/5 stars.

Decent story of a mans soul searching journey through the Big Bad Evil Corporate Empire.

Matt Damon plays the up and coming 'hot guy' in natural Gas Co .who buys land form farmers so it can be frakked.

Francis McDormand and John Krasinski actually steal flick with great performances.

We see the 'Damon sees the light' candle flickering 10 minutes into the movie, but its a decent movie.

Edited by SouthernJet
  • Upvote 1

We are not getting the Indie Amour until Feb 8th in Raleigh. I hear its great, looking forward to it.

"Amour" takes U.S. film critics' top prize as best film

By Chris Michaud

NEW YORK | Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:47pm EST

(Reuters) - "Amour," European director Michael Haneke's sensitive depiction of an aging couple's battle with declining health, was named the year's best film by the National Society of Film Critics on Saturday, with star Emmanuelle Riva winning best actress and Haneke taking the prize for best director.

The group, made up of 60 prominent movie critics from newspapers, magazines and other media outlets nationwide, chose Daniel Day-Lewis as best actor for his acclaimed performance in the title role in "Lincoln."

Best supporting actor went to Matthew McConaughey for the male stripper film "Magic Mike," while Amy Adams won best supporting actress for "The Master."

In choosing "Amour" for its top prize, the critics were more in line with European honors such as the Cannes Film Festival which awarded it the Palme D'Or, than with earlier U.S. awards, many of which went to presumed Oscar frontrunner "Zero Dark Thirty."

In the film, Riva plays a woman who suffers a stroke, challenging her and her husband, played by Jean-Louis Trintignant, who becomes her caretaker. Isabelle Huppert plays the couple's daughter.

The stars are among France's most revered actors, while German-born Haneke has been honored for many previous films such as "The White Ribbon" and "The Piano Teacher," with a canon that often hews more towards the bleak, brutal and disturbing than the overtly sensitive.

In other awards, the critics gave the nonfiction, or documentary prize, to "The Gatekeepers," which looks at the Israeli security agency Shin Bet, while Tony Kushner won best screenplay for "Lincoln." Best cinematography went to "The Master."

"This Is Not a Film" took the experimental film prize, while the critics gave two special film heritage honors to Laurence Kardish, senior film curator at the Museum of Modern Art, and to Milestone Film and Video for its ongoing Shirley Clarke project.

The critics' awards are among the last handed out in the run-up to the Oscar nominations, which will be announced on Thursday in Los Angeles, with the Academy Awards gala slated for February 24.

"Amour" is Austria's official submission for the best foreign language film category.

http://www.reuters.c...E9040BZ20130105

Edited by SouthernJet

Saw Django last night. It was good, but doesn't approach Tarantino's best works. Waltz essentially takes Hans Landa to antebellum Texas, meets up with Jamie Foxx, and they shoot a bunch of slave traders. DiCaprio is fantastic (Tarantino always writes villains better than he writes heroes), and Samuel L Jackson is great as Leo's house, er, dude. Foxx is fun to watch, as well.

Saw Django last night. It was good, but doesn't approach Tarantino's best works. Waltz essentially takes Hans Landa to antebellum Texas, meets up with Jamie Foxx, and they shoot a bunch of slave traders. DiCaprio is fantastic (Tarantino always writes villains better than he writes heroes), and Samuel L Jackson is great as Leo's house, er, dude. Foxx is fun to watch, as well.

agree jackson character was very well written,,that spot of white hair on top only added to the traditional sterotype

Edited by SouthernJet

Well someone told me how 'Lincoln" ends - Boy was I bummed.

http://www.usatoday....incoln/1754283/

The Los Angeles Lakers saw Steven Spielberg's Lincoln recently, which gave Kobe Bryant a chance to make a joke at the expense of his teammates.

Dave McMenamin of ESPNLA.com tweeted Kobe's one-liner:

Kobe on the team's viewing of "Lincoln": "I don't know if the guys knew who he was ... It came as a big shock to them when he was killed"

Edited by Jetsfan80

If you're into cinematography, Dredd is pretty trippy. Essentially the same plot as The Raid, but with the hawt Olivia Thirlby tagging along. Some of the special effects are great.

Plus, it somehow felt like the original comic. I liked it a lot. I'm hoping it did well enough to spawn a sequel or two.

'Promised Land', 3/5 stars.

Decent story of a mans soul searching journey through the Big Bad Evil Corporate Empire.

Matt Damon plays the up and coming 'hot guy' in natural Gas Co .who buys land form farmers so it can be frakked.

Francis McDormand and John Krasinski actually steal flick with great performances.

We see the 'Damon sees the light' candle flickering 10 minutes into the movie, but its a decent movie.

Good movie but it was a sad one. As the ending was a cliffhanger like. But won't give it away for those that have not seen it!

Now that I have officially seen both movies based on Let the Right One In I still have zeeeeerrroooooo clue on what the point of the Reeves' version is.

The original, made all the way back in 2008, is legitimately creepy and alien. It might be the greatest horror movie made since The Thing, it was that good.

The completely unnecessary 2010 remake, Let Me In, that I was told was just as good turned out to be weak. They added a cop angle for no reason at all. Just the way it was filmed made it less creepy, opting for way more close ups of the kids. Almost all characters are simplified and softer for the audience to digest...Not BAD, but so utterly unnecessary that it is infuriating the movie was even made.

Just watch Let the Right One In and realize you're watching what was an instant classic.

Now that I have officially seen both movies based on Let the Right One In I still have zeeeeerrroooooo clue on what the point of the Reeves' version is.

The original, made all the way back in 2008, is legitimately creepy and alien. It might be the greatest horror movie made since The Thing, it was that good.

The completely unnecessary 2010 remake, Let Me In, that I was told was just as good turned out to be weak. They added a cop angle for no reason at all. Just the way it was filmed made it less creepy, opting for way more close ups of the kids. Almost all characters are simplified and softer for the audience to digest...Not BAD, but so utterly unnecessary that it is infuriating the movie was even made.

Just watch Let the Right One In and realize you're watching what was an instant classic.

i agree with you 100%! American horror remakes are usually much weaker.

DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEIDIEDIEDIEIDEIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE

Here's a hilarious line from his character that sums up how I feel about my time with :

Ferguson: Great time I'm having. The shuttle crash, the cursed earth, the cannibals, and now a fireball up my ass. This is all your fault!

Ha ha hilarious.

Here's a hilarious line from his character that sums up how I feel about my time with :

Ferguson: Great time I'm having. The shuttle crash, the cursed earth, the cannibals, and now a fireball up my ass. This is all your fault!

Ha ha hilarious.

The worst thing was, the comic Fergee was a gigantic moronic mutie from the Undercity, who basically beat the crap out of everything with a baseball bat shouting "Easy the Ferg". So they got Scheider to play him?

That was almost as retarded a decision as the one to let Stallone be Dredd.

I forgot about this thread...

Saw The Hobbit and Django before the new year. Django was excellent and in my opinion on par with anything that Tarentino has done, and I love Tarentino. The Hobbit is what I expected it to be. As a fan of the book, I enjoyed the movie and look forward to the next installation of the series. It didn't blow me away, but it was a rung or two above angerage on the watchability ladder.