Movies We've Seen Thread

If you loved Hereditary and Midsommar, making it all the way through Beau Is Afraid is 100% doable. But, you really have to be a big believer in Ari Aster. 

Actually, if you love Synedoche, New York, and think it's brilliant. you'll love Beau Is Afraid. I fall into that category. If you do not, you'll be asking yourself wtf you're doing watching this movie.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Guardians.  

Like the previous two, it was a very good movie.  By far the best trilogy in the Marvel Universe.  I am sure there are picks you can nit, but it was enjoyable from start to finish.  Even with audio cutting out at the theater.  Unlike other Marvel entries where you do not know where the star/group/whatever it is going afterwards, the movie (and post credit scenes) laid out a pretty clear path forward.

As an aside to the movie, James Gunn's departure to DC is a blow to Marvel.  Unlike, Thor Love and Thunder and other Marvel entries, his directing, use of music and humor was near perfect.    He always seemed to deliver good products in the director's chair.  

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I saw Guardians.  

Like the previous two, it was a very good movie.  By far the best trilogy in the Marvel Universe.  I am sure there are picks you can nit, but it was enjoyable from start to finish.  Even with audio cutting out at the theater.  Unlike other Marvel entries where you do not know where the star/group/whatever it is going afterwards, the movie (and post credit scenes) laid out a pretty clear path forward.

As an aside to the movie, James Gunn's departure to DC is a blow to Marvel.  Unlike, Thor Love and Thunder and other Marvel entries, his directing, use of music and humor was near perfect.    He always seemed to deliver good products in the director's chair.  

We also saw it, and pretty much agree with everything you said.

Good movie, good trilogy, as always excellent music. I would argue the Captain America trilogy is about as good, but that is nitpicking.  The family and I had big discussion, "Is Guardians the best super hero movie trilogy of all time?"  For me, it's up there (I hated Nolan's 3rd Batman).

This is probably the last Marvel movie we'll see in the theaters, the boys don't care that much anymore (although they both really like Guardians and wanted to see it).   There isn't much new in the MCU I want to see, partly because the movies aren't as good post Thanos, and partly just after 25ish MCU movies there is just genre fatigue.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, chirorob said:

We also saw it, and pretty much agree with everything you said.

Good movie, good trilogy, as always excellent music. I would argue the Captain America trilogy is about as good, but that is nitpicking.  The family and I had big discussion, "Is Guardians the best super hero movie trilogy of all time?"  For me, it's up there (I hated Nolan's 3rd Batman).

This is probably the last Marvel movie we'll see in the theaters, the boys don't care that much anymore (although they both really like Guardians and wanted to see it).   There isn't much new in the MCU I want to see, partly because the movies aren't as good post Thanos, and partly just after 25ish MCU movies there is just genre fatigue.

Captain America is definitely up there.  I was not really a Captain America fan prior to Iron Man.  America's ass pulled me.  ? That trilogy was solid though.  

I am with you on the fatigue.  It is a wife and I date day event.  I will probably still hit the main movies that are coming up like Secret Wars, Kang Dynasty, etc.  Plus, there is just too much content to give a sh*t about.

• Upvote 2

Not sure why I wanted to cry for 4 hours on a plane but I watched a Man Called Otto and Till.  MCO was at times hard but mostly entertaining, heart warming movie.  Till was not, such a hard watch but it was done very well and probably 20 years too late. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, chirorob said:

Just watched "Air" (now free on Amazon Prime).

Just a good, solid movie.  Funny in parts, a good story.  Nothing amazing, but very enjoyable.

I loved it. Was like a delightful addendum to The Last Dance. Same feeling, same style. Affleck is at his best when he’s telling some little niche story about an individual doing something extraordinarily difficult. Impressive resume as a director at this point. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I loved it. Was like a delightful addendum to The Last Dance. Same feeling, same style. Affleck is at his best when he’s telling some little niche story about an individual doing something extraordinarily difficult. Impressive resume as a director at this point. 

You guys serious with this 2 hour Nike commercial? Making sneakers with child slave labor and slapping a basketball player's name on it is extraordinarily difficult? Man. I must be doing life wrong.

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:27 AM, JiF said:

Not sure why I wanted to cry for 4 hours on a plane but I watched a Man Called Otto and Till.  MCO was at times hard but mostly entertaining, heart warming movie.  Till was not, such a hard watch but it was done very well and probably 20 years too late. 

We watched A Man Called Otto this past weekend.  Very good movie, despite being somewhat predictable.  The acting was so good that the clear path of the plot line didn't bother me. The actor who plays Otto's new neighbor, Mariana Trevino, was absolutely great in her role, as was Hanks.  Truman Hanks, in his first ever acting role, did quite well as the younger Otto. At times, the resmblance was startling. 

Overall, a movie worth watching and a must-watch if you are a devoted Hanks fan ,as I am. I don't get the poor reviews. It certainly jerked a tear or two out of me, even though I knew where the plot was going.

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2023 at 10:30 AM, Nolder said:

Tetris was great, highly recommend.

65 was alright.

Sisu is boring I hate it.

I didn't hate it.  I did not think it was boring, but I did sit there a few times wondering "WTF am I watching...a Finish Inglorious Basterds? "

I am sure it was not worth the rental price.  I think they should have spent 10 minutes of the film developing his mythos outside of him liking to dig a lot.

• Upvote 1

Squaring the Circle is the most fun I've had watching a documentary since Jodorowsky's Dune. It's about the team of artists that made a whole bunch of album covers that everyone knows. Like every Pink Floyd cover, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, Moody Blues...etc. They really walk you through it all. So, so good. Some of the most fascinating artist interviews I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 9:07 PM, chirorob said:

Just watched "Air" (now free on Amazon Prime).

Just a good, solid movie.  Funny in parts, a good story.  Nothing amazing, but very enjoyable.

Probably the best flick I’ve since since Once Upon A Time. Really liked it.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Bugg said:

Happened upon a Gerard Butler movie called "The Vanishing". Now wished I hadn't and would like back that 2+ hours of my time. Depressing, awful, bleak. 

Is that the movie where someone ****s a mermaid? I saw a weird ass movie once about a lighthouse or something and all I remember is someone ****ed a mermaid and I wish I hadn't wasted my time watching it.

12 hours ago, Nolder said:

Is that the movie where someone ****s a mermaid? I saw a weird ass movie once about a lighthouse or something and all I remember is someone ****ed a mermaid and I wish I hadn't wasted my time watching it.

Lighthouse, but no mermaids. That was bad enough. Completely terrible. 

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 2:33 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Squaring the Circle is the most fun I've had watching a documentary since Jodorowsky's Dune. It's about the team of artists that made a whole bunch of album covers that everyone knows. Like every Pink Floyd cover, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, Moody Blues...etc. They really walk you through it all. So, so good. Some of the most fascinating artist interviews I've ever seen.

I rarely pray....but when I do, I thank God that Jadorowskys "Dune" was never made. It would have killed any attempt to make a Dune movie (Love the current Iteration and still love the insane, weird, beautiful Lynch version). His vision would have been repugnant and destroyed any future projects imo. Where he wanted to take the story was demented....and we're talking about DUNE ffs. 😆 

dune-salute.gif.222aaf865170c729f9f3b0202c76fef0.gif

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I rarely pray....but when I do, I thank God that Jadorowskys "Dune" was never made. It would have killed any attempt to make a Dune movie (Love the current Iteration and still love the insane, weird, beautiful Lynch version). His vision would have been repugnant and destroyed any future projects imo. Where he wanted to take the story was demented....and we're talking about DUNE ffs. 😆 

dune-salute.gif.222aaf865170c729f9f3b0202c76fef0.gif

I dunno, I think I agree? I just love that doc because he’s the coolest guy and I found his reflection on it all at the end so inspiring. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno, I think I agree? I just love that doc because he’s the coolest guy and I found his reflection on it all at the end so inspiring. 

Yes, but he was literally trying to have his son to be trained to BE Paul, the Kwisatz Hadderach....and then there was the insanity about semen(?!)... lol. And having some familiarity with Jodorowsky, Muad'dib would probably be naked the entire movie. 😳 

I prefer; "My lungs taste the air of Time,
Blown past falling sands"

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Asteroid City.  Curious what others think. 

Wes Anderson fans will probably enjoy it.  I did.  But if Wes Anderson isn't your thing, then you will likely leave the theater scratching your head, wondering what you just saw.

Incredible cast.

edit: Scarlett Johanssen still looks great. 

23 hours ago, Dcat said:

Just got back from Asteroid City.  Curious what others think. 

Wes Anderson fans will probably enjoy it.  I did.  But if Wes Anderson isn't your thing, then you will likely leave the theater scratching your head, wondering what you just saw.

Incredible cast.

edit: Scarlett Johanssen still looks great. 

All Wes' movies are beautiful to look at and are change of pace from the average fare out there.

Still this one wasn't as good as "The Life Aquatic" or the "Grand Budapest Hotel" but was an enjoyable way to kill a couple of hours.

• Upvote 1

Saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny today.  Quite liked it.  Not on the level of Raiders of the Lost Ark or the Last Crusade, but better than Crystal Skull and at least on par with Temple of Doom.

As always with an Indy film, you have to be willing to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride - which I did.

I've always been a big Indy fan, and I think this was a good send-off for the man in the hat.

16 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny today.  Quite liked it.  Not on the level of Raiders of the Lost Ark or the Last Crusade, but better than Crystal Skull and at least on par with Temple of Doom.

As always with an Indy film, you have to be willing to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride - which I did.

I've always been a big Indy fan, and I think this was a good send-off for the man in the hat.

I really like Indiana Jones. I've read some of the books and honestly I didn't think Crystal Skull was a bad idea just poorly executed. So I'm not coming at this as a hater...but really? I dunno man the trailers didn't impress me but I'll see it eventually I guess.

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's July 4th weekend... Me and my Dad would always watch Jaws....

It's a perfect movie.  Still.  Watching Jaws and missing ya, Dad. And yep, still laughing at all of Shaws lines.....

.Hooper, full throttle!!

Great tradition. I never had a specific movie with my dad but he introduced me to basically all the great films before I was born. Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Terminator, 007, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon etc etc. Man I can't think of a movie before 1990 that I didn't see with my dad first. Watching movies with dad are honestly some of my best childhood memories come to think of it. Only movie I ever regretted watching with him was The Omen because it scared the crap out of me! Anyway, have a good 4th of July weekend and enjoy Jaws.

It's July 4th weekend... Me and my Dad would always watch Jaws....

It's a perfect movie.  Still.  Watching Jaws and missing ya, Dad. And yep, still laughing at all of Shaws lines.....
.Hooper, full throttle!!
When I was a kid my dad would take my brothers and I to Cape Cod every summer. Besides going to the beach every day, we also went to the drive in movies. The summer Jaws came out he took us to see it. I was 9 at the time. Let's just say I didn't swim the rest of the vacation. I miss my dad too.
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Nolder said:

I really like Indiana Jones. I've read some of the books and honestly I didn't think Crystal Skull was a bad idea just poorly executed. So I'm not coming at this as a hater...but really? I dunno man the trailers didn't impress me but I'll see it eventually I guess.

I wasn't expecting too much, as I thought Crystal Skull was pretty poor and the reviews for Dial of Destiny have been all over the place.

But I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Lots of action, some classic Indy jokes, and some good historically-inspired hokum. 

I'll probably go to see it again with my kids, and it won't feel like a chore.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I wasn't expecting too much, as I thought Crystal Skull was pretty poor and the reviews for Dial of Destiny have been all over the place.

But I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Lots of action, some classic Indy jokes, and some good historically-inspired hokum. 

I'll probably go to see it again with my kids, and it won't feel like a chore.

I don't think I have ever hated a movie as hard as Crystal Skull. Atrocious. 

• Upvote 3