Battlestar Galactica Mafia - Humanity’s Children Have Come Home…

Integrity28

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless, of course, he is scum, and they think it's a fair trade off to try and smoke out the real Doc. Verby is off on vacation for a week...just saying.

In what way would that smoke out the real doc? Which player in this game is dumb enough to counter a fake claim like that on day 1?

my take is the ape explicitly said there will be no spoilers because anyone can be converted. he doesn't want anyone who know who the final 5 is trying to spoil it for others and/or assume they are cylon.

Look at the opening scene! The stupid ape says "During the attack, we learned that the Cylons look like us now... It is safe to assume that there is at least one Cylon amongst our crew already..."

I don't know about you but that line screams to me CL with conversion ability. I think for balance purposes there is also a small scum team.

He's been talking about this game for 4 months.. you think he made a vanilla game with a scum team against town? no effin way.

Makes sense. Monkey ego ****ed this thing from his gorilla marketing campaign to his constant chest banging and use of large letters. You don;t sound that far off. Sounds reasonable.

Unofficial Day One Vote Count

SMC (4) - Slats, Sharrow, Crusher, Dan

Pac (4) - CTM, JF80, Doggin, Smash

JF80 (3) - EY, Nae, Wombat

BG (2) - Pac, JIF

Verbal (2) - Jack, SMC

Smash (1) - AVM

Doggin (1) - DPR

Wombat (1) - Vic

JiF (1) - BG

Not Voting (2): Verbal, JC

------

With 22 players, it takes 12 to determine who gets thrown out the air lock!

~ 1 reveal remaining ~

DEADLINE: Friday, at 8:00PM EST

Pac makes a reasonable point that there could be conversions in this game. BG makes a good point that there's no reason to worry about it until we have evidence of it. They could agree to disagree for the time being, but that really wouldn't be like either of them, would it? I suspect town on town crime there.

I'm puzzled by Verb's reveal, but I tend to believe him. Can't see that being a smart move for scum.

SMC was here here to say WTF? at Verb's reveal, but didn't bother unvoting him. Posted a couple one liners and a pic over the next few hours with no more commentary on Verb, and now he's gone again. I'm still happy with my vote.

Some thoughts:

1) Verb's pretty much got to be innocent. Not sure if he's really the doc, but scum fake-claiming doc without pressure makes no sense in a mod-coroner game; as soon as the real doc bites it, you're toast, and you won't be getting a counterclaim or drawing doc protection (as you would if claiming cop). He's also too good at mafia to have randomly revealed - I'm guessing his PM gave him a powerup when he was outed. We'll see

Wow.

I just caught up, 22 pages and there's literally been two posts that matter. This one, and Verbal's reveal.

I disagree with Doggin that verbal pretty much has to be innocent. Everyone's talking about possible conversions. If Verbal is the doctor and can protect himself from NK or conversions that's great. But we haven't been told that conversions are actually a reality, so Verbal may or may not know if they exist, or if he can protect himself from them. And still, why should Verbal do this? He hasn't offered an explanation, so we need to believe his claim, and we also need to believe that he has some reason we don't know about.

All this talk of conversions makes me wonder if Verbal is in fact scum, sacrificing himself to get the true doctor to reveal? Perhaps this is a conversion game, and Verbal is hoping to sacrifice himself in the hopes of getting the real doctor to reveal, gain the full support of the town, and then be converted. It's a pretty bright play and it reminds me of the position CTM was in in my first Zombie game. Where everyone thought he was the cop the whole game.

Obviously, we're not going after Verbal without the real doctor coming forward though, so my next thought is what strikes me about Doggin's post is that I can't possibly understand why an innocent, non doctor, would claim doctor. In a typical scenario, you get counterclaimed, and out the doctor for your troubles.

Regardless, I'm going to unvote and vote: Doggin because he's too smart to completely absolve Verbal of guilt so quickly. And, if he's too smart to do it, and does it anyway, that makes me very uncomfortable. If Doggin is scum, then I'd bet Verbal is lying.

That's all, I'll check this again in the AM, but I'm heading to the woods for the weekend around 1 and likely wont be able to post.

have you seen BSG?

if the answer is yes, do you think there will be conversions this game.

I've never seen it, but I get that some of the Cylons look like people. In the series, has a person ever started as human, and then been turned into a Cylon? That'll be a clue.

If not, I say we wait for evidence of a conversion before we go all out with theories - focus on what we have, not what might be.

I'll be on and off all day, and will definitely put in a real vote before deadline. I will also definitely have a martini before deadline. Well before deadline...

In what way would that smoke out the real doc? Which player in this game is dumb enough to counter a fake claim like that on day 1?

Galactica's Crew:

1. Jetsfan80

2. EY

3. Smash

4. AVM

5. Jack D

6. Sharrow

7. Crusher

8. SMC

9. Pac

10. Bleedin'

11. Verbal

12. CTM

13. Slats

14. Wombat

15. JIF

16. Hess

17. DPR

18. Jetscode1

19. Nanootz

20. Doggin

21. Vicious

22. Dan X

Unofficial Day One Vote Count

JF80 (2) - Nae, Wombat

BG (2) - Pac, JIF

Verbal (2) - Jack, SMC

Doggin (2) - DPR, EY

Smash (1) - AVM

Wombat (1) - Vic

JiF (1) - BG

Not Voting (2): Verbal, JC

------

~ 1 reveal remaining ~

Wow.

I just caught up, 22 pages and there's literally been two posts that matter. This one, and Verbal's reveal.

I disagree with Doggin that verbal pretty much has to be innocent. Everyone's talking about possible conversions. If Verbal is the doctor and can protect himself from NK or conversions that's great. But we haven't been told that conversions are actually a reality, so Verbal may or may not know if they exist, or if he can protect himself from them. And still, why should Verbal do this? He hasn't offered an explanation, so we need to believe his claim, and we also need to believe that he has some reason we don't know about.

All this talk of conversions makes me wonder if Verbal is in fact scum, sacrificing himself to get the true doctor to reveal? Perhaps this is a conversion game, and Verbal is hoping to sacrifice himself in the hopes of getting the real doctor to reveal, gain the full support of the town, and then be converted. It's a pretty bright play and it reminds me of the position CTM was in in my first Zombie game. Where everyone thought he was the cop the whole game.

Obviously, we're not going after Verbal without the real doctor coming forward though, so my next thought is what strikes me about Doggin's post is that I can't possibly understand why an innocent, non doctor, would claim doctor. In a typical scenario, you get counterclaimed, and out the doctor for your troubles.

Regardless, I'm going to unvote and vote: Doggin because he's too smart to completely absolve Verbal of guilt so quickly. And, if he's too smart to do it, and does it anyway, that makes me very uncomfortable. If Doggin is scum, then I'd bet Verbal is lying.That's all, I'll check this again in the AM, but I'm heading to the woods for the weekend around 1 and likely wont be able to post.

If doggin is scum that probably means Verbal is scum as well, as you stated (at least I think thats what you meant). If thats the case it would be an extremely bad play by both and I dont see that happening either. They would be putting a good portion of their team at a huge risk and with both being smart players I doubt thats the case.

I still do not understand Verbals reveal from either side of the fence. If its from the scum side, I hope our real Doc holds back a bit, we can always deal with verbal at a later date since we really cant scum hunt without something to work with like a few lynches and once the game gets going without all the clowning around.

Wow.

Regardless, I'm going to unvote and vote: Doggin because he's too smart to completely absolve Verbal of guilt so quickly. And, if he's too smart to do it, and does it anyway, that makes me very uncomfortable. If Doggin is scum, then I'd bet Verbal is lying.

That's all, I'll check this again in the AM, but I'm heading to the woods for the weekend around 1 and likely wont be able to post.

Interesting take and not to defend for Doggin, but I didnt get that from his post at all. At no point reading that post did I walk away thinking that he completely dismissed the potential of Verb being scum.

My take from his post was him addressing the only action in the game so far: Verb reveal and BG vs. Pac. He seemed to be rationalizing the "why" behind Verb's move which his conclusion was Verb "pretty much" has to be town. I feel the same way to be honest. I'm not going a 100%, not at all...but at this point...I just dont see why scum would do something like this because I fail to see the benefit. Being uncountered on day 1, it seems safe enough to assume innocence and see how it plays out.

If doggin is scum that probably means Verbal is scum as well, as you stated (at least I think thats what you meant). If thats the case it would be an extremely bad play by both and I dont see that happening either. They would be putting a good portion of their team at a huge risk and with both being smart players I doubt thats the case.

I still do not understand Verbals reveal from either side of the fence. If its from the scum side, I hope our real Doc holds back a bit, we can always deal with verbal at a later date since we really cant scum hunt without something to work with like a few lynches and once the game gets going without all the clowning around.

That is what I stated. And calling it an extremely bad play is only with the hindsight of me pointing out the possibility. So, I'm not compelled to take a wait and see approach with Doggin.

The problem with these games is that there is so much talk that things get lost quickly. I see no motivation in this thread or the game design thus far for the reveal, especially because it limits another potential reveal that we may need later in the day. Far be it from me to say Verbal is scum right now, but I think the guy saying he absolutely isn't is worth a look.

Also, as to Doggin's question, there are plenty of motivators for a counterclaim, including the instantaneous nature of catching scum. It's an difficult choice to counterclaim quickly, but doing so would not be this tremendously dumb idea that Doggin proposes.

Another thought that just occurred to me is that it's possible that, a la CTM's game, there's some kind of 'watcher' role on the scum team. When I godfather in that game, we watched ourselves to see who was coming around. If this is the case, this could be a ploy that got the doc to counterclaim, and allowed scum to find the investigator, as we can be pretty confident will look at Verbal tonight (again, a la CTM game, it is possible there is a godfather type role) so I'll be hesitant with any results based on the unsettling nature of the Day 1 reveal. Scum could then kill or possibly convert the cop, and have a showdown 1 for 1 trade for the doctor, or even convert the doctor and sacrifice Verbal.

Obviously, we don't know if conversions exist, but these ideas hold up with our without them.

My final thought on this issue is also from the Mod Note in post 272. Right now, it means nothing, but something to keep in mind is that OpPrime included the concept of bluffing in the reveal. This makes perfect sense, but the question I will keep in the back of my mind is would he have thought to include that caveat if the 1st reveal was truthful? Also note there is an edit in that post... As I said, means nothing now, but definitely just something to keep in the back of my mind.

my take is the ape explicitly said there will be no spoilers because anyone can be converted. he doesn't want anyone who know who the final 5 is trying to spoil it for others and/or assume they are cylon.

Look at the opening scene! The stupid ape says "During the attack, we learned that the Cylons look like us now... It is safe to assume that there is at least one Cylon amongst our crew already..."

Meh.. that line is used in lmost every mafia game. We're all assumed to be innocent so there "at least one evil hidden amongst us"...

I'm not disagreeing completely that it's conversion, just don't think it's a slam dunk

Interesting take and not to defend for Doggin, but I didnt get that from his post at all. At no point reading that post did I walk away thinking that he completely dismissed the potential of Verb being scum.

Some thoughts:

1) Verb's pretty much got to be innocent.

?

Day One Vote Count

JF80 (2) - Nae, Wombat

BG (2) - Pac, JIF

Verbal (2) - Jack, SMC

Doggin (2) - DPR, EY

Smash (1) - AVM

Wombat (1) - Vic

JiF (1) - BG

Not Voting (3): Verbal, JC, Hess

------

GAME NOTE: One reveal remaining.

Day One Vote Count

JF80 (3) - EY, Nae, Wombat

BG (2) - Pac, JIF

Verbal (2) - Jack, SMC

Doggin (2) - DPR, EY

Smash (1) - AVM

Wombat (1) - Vic

JiF (1) - BG

Not Voting (3): Verbal, JC, Hess

------

GAME NOTE: One reveal remaining.

I got madddddddd votes, yo!

I agree with EY, I've viewed verb's reveal with more suspicion then not. I see people rationalizing why innocent doc would do this (someone said maybe he receives a power up for being outed), FINE, bt how can you ignore the numerous possibly scernarios in which scum would do this for some benefit...

Especially cause it's known people are shy about counter claiming here.

A doc counter claim that comes 3 days later, up against a lynch, will be viewed more suspiciously then verbals at that point. ALso, as ey said, he could be bait in a trap w/ a scum watcher for any number of power roles. That being said, if i was the vig, I'd shoot his a$$ tonight

Further, at it's most basic, the move is anti-town to begin with. He used up a reveal w/no pressure in a reveal restricted game, meaning the next person run up will be lynched or we'll hope for a townie volunteer. Exposed himself to possible conversion OR a roleblocker. What kind of bonus could he recieve to negate all of these dangers? I think it stinks, and it's ape like play.

I think doggin implanting the idea that Verbal is innocent could definitely be seen as laying the foundation for Verbal to be more believed doc when the counter claim does happen. I can see voting Doggin very easily, but am not going to yet since it's his first game back in awhile, and it's possible doggin has a better read on verbal then I do..

You taking my light-hearted joke and contorting it into a conversation about penis... is noted.

you using the phrase light-hearted joke in a conversation about your penis... is noted

Yellin, theres no reason for the cop to investigate verbal - if he's scum, then we'll find out when the real doc claims our is killed. A cop view would be a waste.

Okay, my vote on you was not real - and I'm sure that no one took it that way, so just forget about that -

You've clearly stated that "Verbal has pretty much got to be innocent", and now that a "cop view would be a waste".

Everybody knows that a Cop is absolutlely going to be tempted to view him - which gets back to EY's theory about a Watcher. Easy pickins there...

I won't even imply the either you or Verbal would be so sloppy as to concoct a plan like this, so ease my mind and tell me under what circumstances would a Doc ever reveal on D1 with no pressure on them at all?

Also, Verbal could be a bomb designed to go off under and night action. Are there any booby traps (insert joke here) in the series?

Nice little wifom we have going for D1.

Archived