Cavanaugh on Sanchez

jbone

The gist I got was Cavanaugh has given up trying to develop a franchise QB and has started to try and salvage a good "game manager". That is probably one of the more onerous tags to be given to a starting QB.

I thought it was funny how going on year 4 he had to have the "not every play has to be a touchdown. Not every play has to be a completion. Sometimes throwing it away is a good thing. Sometimes taking a sack is better than throwing an interception" lecture with Mark.

The fact Mark might have not even been aware of his sub par play until the last 3 games of the year is alarming, if true.

http://www.nydailyne....1077377?pgno=1

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gist I got was Cavanaugh has given up trying to develop a franchise QB and has started to try and salvage a good "game manager". That is probably one of the more onerous tags to be given to a starting QB.

I thought it was funny how going on year 4 he had to have the "not every play has to be a touchdown. Not every play has to be a completion. Sometimes throwing it away is a good thing. Sometimes taking a sack is better than throwing an interception" lecture with Mark.

The fact Mark might have not even been aware of his sub par play until the last 3 games of the year is alarming, if true.

Being A Game Manager and learning how to manage a game are two totally different things. A game manager is weak physically cant make all the throws and is taught to limit turnovers Kind of like a Trent Dilfer. Sanchez has the talent to be a very good QB and needs to learn when things are not there dont try to force it its ok to throw the ball away or take a sack to prevent a turnover than can directly lead to other teams scoring points on you. Once Sanchez gets past the hurdle of making dumb mistakes he will be fine at the position. Last year was many things going wrong all at once and while one of them was the QB making some dumb decisions it certainly was not all his fault.

Seemed to me that he went out of his way to say that he can be a great QB and a Champion and win the Jets some SB's.

I thought his points were valid and made sense. Hopefully Mark is learning from that...he seems to be direct with Mark.

Seemed to me that he went out of his way to say that he can be a great QB and a Champion and win the Jets some SB's.

I thought his points were valid and made sense. Hopefully Mark is learning from that...he seems to be direct with Mark.

Pretty much what I got out of it as well. Kinda like hey buddy you got the talent its time to grow up and make it happen.

1.) I don't understand why Cavanaugh was retained in the first place.

2.) Nothing wrong with being a game manager. Phil Simms was a game manager, Troy Aikman was a game manager. In the Jets' run first, defense oriented style, a game manager is what you want in a QB. Which is why Sanchez has to watch his back. Tebow can also be molded into a game manager.

Being A Game Manager and learning how to manage a game are two totally different things. A game manager is weak physically cant make all the throws and is taught to limit turnovers Kind of like a Trent Dilfer. Sanchez has the talent to be a very good QB and needs to learn when things are not there dont try to force it its ok to throw the ball away or take a sack to prevent a turnover than can directly lead to other teams scoring points on you. Once Sanchez gets past the hurdle of making dumb mistakes he will be fine at the position. Last year was many things going wrong all at once and while one of them was the QB making some dumb decisions it certainly was not all his fault.

This is one of the finer posts I've read this year. Well said.

Cavanaugh needs to get FAR away from Sanchez. HIs problem is taht he is now so afraid fo turnovers he is indecisive. When He first came up, he was a gunslinger. Then Rex, sh*tty, and Matt got in his ear, and now he thinks way to much.

Parcells has this conversation with Testaverde in what, year 14 of his career? Not to worry.

Being A Game Manager and learning how to manage a game are two totally different things. A game manager is weak physically cant make all the throws and is taught to limit turnovers Kind of like a Trent Dilfer.

This is true. However, the first paragraph states that Cavanaugh wants Sanchez to "become an effective game manager", not "learn how to manage a game".

To me, this is what's really telling... Cavanaugh is saying success and making a point to put it in quotes, meaning it wasn't really successful.

"Sometimes when you have quote-unquote the success that he had the first two years, maybe it doesn't hit home," Cavanaugh said. "Maybe it's like, 'Hey, I thought I was playing pretty good. Yeah, I threw some picks and some of them were bad decisions, but we still got to the AFC Championship Game.' (Last) year, I think he became much more aware (that) it's a fragile business."

We need to hope that what Cavanaugh ultimately says is true... That Sanchez didn't think anything was wrong because the Jets were winning. That makes Sanchez a moron, but I don't think anyone had him in mensa before this, but it does offer hope that maybe he wakes up this year... We can debate till kickoff if that will happen, but either way, you have to hope that Sanchez just didn't get it until now but now he does.

Never ceases to amaze me how some of you guys always look to find something negative in each story or over analyze every phrase that is said. These guys are football players and coaches, not linguistic experts.

Give it a rest. I can say how much Sanchez will be a top 5 QB and you can say how much the Jets need to move on. And you know what happens: NOTHING.

You and I can wish for our desired outcomes or try to justify our own beliefs :because none of us are wrong! Nothing is going to change until football season gets here.

This place bores me.

Eli realized he didn't have to make every play after throwing 20+ INT's and having 30 TO's the year before for the Giants...and he was well past his 4th year. People are just way too critical around here.

2.) Nothing wrong with being a game manager. Phil Simms was a game manager, Troy Aikman was a game manager. In the Jets' run first, defense oriented style, a game manager is what you want in a QB. Which is why Sanchez has to watch his back. Tebow can also be molded into a game manager.

The Jets might have a Super Bowl victory in years one and two under Rex with a good game manager. I am with you on that one.

I would love to know the back story with Cavanaugh, they definitely seemed to want to let him go...then they didn't. Guess they couldn't convince themselves they had an upgrade lined up.

The Jets might have a Super Bowl victory in years one and two under Rex with a good game manager. I am with you on that one.

I would love to know the back story with Cavanaugh, they definitely seemed to want to let him go...then they didn't. Guess they couldn't convince themselves they had an upgrade lined up.

I thought the back story on Cavanaugh was he was buddies with Rex..... could be mistaken

I thought the back story on Cavanaugh was he was buddies with Rex..... could be mistaken

He came over with Rex from Baltimore, and at the time I thought he was being installed to eventually take over for Schottenheimer - who we hated even back then. Now that he's been passed over for that job, and given the lack of development of Mark Sanchez, it seems odd that he's still with the team.

He came over with Rex from Baltimore, and at the time I thought he was being installed to eventually take over for Schottenheimer - who we hated even back then. Now that he's been passed over for that job, and given the lack of development of Mark Sanchez, it seems odd that he's still with the team.

He didnt come over with Rex from Baltimore. This stiff came over from Pitt(University not NFL) where he was a failure as the OC for Wanstadt. He did have a history with working with Rex at baltimore but this loser cavanaugh first went to Pitt to suck up their offense on his way to helping our offense suck. It was definately a favor from Rex though, I will give you that...

Nothign wrong with a game manager except when you've given him 70M in contracts over first 4 years... He ain't paid like a game manager

Agreed on the read, most of these guys are sugar coating an article in which the pretty clear subtext is poor. Coach isn't going to come out and say the kid stank like a month old blob of refried beans, He's basically saying the teams success deluded Mark into thinking he was successful, which is a shocking lack of self awareness.. I still think Sanchez is coddled and lazy, and that Tebow will focus him more.. so I'm optimistic, but this wasn't a positive article imo

Agreed on the read, most of these guys are sugar coating an article in which the pretty clear subtext is poor. Coach isn't going to come out and say the kid stank like a month old blob of refried beans, He's basically saying the teams success deluded Mark into thinking he was successful, which is a shocking lack of self awareness.. I still think Sanchez is coddled and lazy, and that Tebow will focus him more.. so I'm optimistic, but this wasn't a positive article imo

It wasnt negative either. It was honest. Cavanaugh went out of his way to say that he can be a great QB and that Mark has the confidence and knows he he has the ability, he just needs to be more consistent and not turn it off an on. The article was all about consistency. Something Mark says all the time, even when they were winning.

Nothign wrong with a game manager except when you've given him 70M in contracts over first 4 years... He ain't paid like a game manager

Troy Aikman was a #1 overall who made a sh*tload of money stinking up Dallas is first few years in the league. Then went onto a career where he never threw for more than 3500 yards in any season.

The Jets tried to do what you're always advocating in searching for a franchise QB. They traded up to #5, and paid him what a QB drafted #5 overall gets paid. Then they refi'd to save some immediate cap room. It happens. Not sure what you think the options were at that point.

I think Sanchez deserves a chance to see what he can do under a different OC. I think Schottenheimer was terrible, and his multi-shift, multiple read offense was slow to develop and stunted Sanchez' development. The revolving door at WR never helped either, as the WRs are also responsible to read the defense on every play in the Schotty's elaborate plans.

If Sanchez can get the comp % up and the ints down, I think he can be a championship QB on this team. I think Sparano's more straight forward offense will help with that, as will the addition of Stephen Hill as a guy who can grow with the QB.

It wasnt negative either. It was honest. Cavanaugh went out of his way to say that he can be a great QB and that Mark has the confidence and knows he he has the ability, he just needs to be more consistent and not turn it off an on. The article was all about consistency. Something Mark says all the time, even when they were winning.

Yes. Off and on. That's the problem.

Jif.. you could be a great poster if you weren't so dumb brained and ghey

not negative!

Troy Aikman was a #1 overall who made a sh*tload of money stinking up Dallas is first few years in the league. Then went onto a career where he never threw for more than 3500 yards in any season.

The Jets tried to do what you're always advocating in searching for a franchise QB. They traded up to #5, and paid him what a QB drafted #5 overall gets paid. Then they refi'd to save some immediate cap room. It happens. Not sure what you think the options were at that point.

I think Sanchez deserves a chance to see what he can do under a different OC. I think Schottenheimer was terrible, and his multi-shift, multiple read offense was slow to develop and stunted Sanchez' development. The revolving door at WR never helped either, as the WRs are also responsible to read the defense on every play in the Schotty's elaborate plans.

If Sanchez can get the comp % up and the ints down, I think he can be a championship QB on this team. I think Sparano's more straight forward offense will help with that, as will the addition of Stephen Hill as a guy who can grow with the QB.

Again, I'm not saying he should be cast aside.. Manning was the only guy I would've done that for (wanted no part of FLynn, for example).. I'm simply saying that investing as much resources as we did in Sanchez (draft pick/cap space) and him being a "game manager" is not a good deal for the Jets..

He's basically saying the teams success deluded Mark into thinking he was successful, which is a shocking lack of self awareness.. I still think Sanchez is coddled and lazy, and that Tebow will focus him more.. so I'm optimistic, but this wasn't a positive article imo

I agree on coddled, disagree on lazy. There's no evidence that Sanchez isn't a hard worker. He seems to've had a firm grasp on Schotty's offense, with the problem often being that the receivers didn't make the same (right?) read when running their patterns.

But I tend to think that Tebow's addition does help focus Mark, who's enjoyed star status in NY without performing like a star, and now all of a sudden he's second in popularity to his backup. Maybe that shouldn't matter, but you know it does to Mark. And if that helps him be a better player, I'm all for it.

Yes. Off and on. That's the problem.

I didnt say that was the problem...I'm telling you what I got from it.

Jif.. you could be a great poster if you weren't so dumb brained and ghey

not negative!

Ha! The article was definitely not written in that light. All he did was essentially tell you things he's working on with Mark, mostly from a mental perspective, where I think we all agree is the biggest problem. The kid is a baby and still is developing just like any other Qb going into his 4th season. And despite his success from a winning perspective, he clearly has a lot of things he needs to improve on, especially being consistent with his decision making.

Whatever, its a stupid thing to debate. You see it one way, I see it the other.

I think Mark has a great season. Just a gut instinct.

Again, I'm not saying he should be cast aside.. Manning was the only guy I would've done that for (wanted no part of FLynn, for example).. I'm simply saying that investing as much resources as we did in Sanchez (draft pick/cap space) and him being a "game manager" is not a good deal for the Jets..

If Sanchez can Dilfer his way to a Lombardi Trophy, it'll be a good deal. It's up to Sanchez and Sparano to get him there. He's obviously got a ways to go.

I agree on coddled, disagree on lazy. There's no evidence that Sanchez isn't a hard worker. He seems to've had a firm grasp on Schotty's offense, with the problem often being that the receivers didn't make the same (right?) read when running their patterns.

But I tend to think that Tebow's addition does help focus Mark, who's enjoyed star status in NY without performing like a star, and now all of a sudden he's second in popularity to his backup. Maybe that shouldn't matter, but you know it does to Mark. And if that helps him be a better player, I'm all for it.

See i think a guy who was below average by every available metric who isn't working to improve because the team has played slighty above .500 ball is most certainly lazy..

THe fact that he's claiming he's going to get better now cause he now realizes he wasn't that good tells me he's very lazy indeed

Archived