•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Dolphins, Giants, Pats, Vikings have contributed to Sandy relief...but not the Jets?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 T0mShane

T0mShane

When it's over, that's the time I fall in love againlolo

• Members
  • 29,200 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Shameful if true. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Hey New York Jets, Where’s the Sandy Relief?

By: kristinereese
November 8, 2012, 12:46 am

It’s been nearly ten days since Superstorm Sandy devastated the Tri-State area, killing more than 100 people and leaving more than 8 million homes and businesses without power. Many people in Staten Island, New Jersey and Long Island are still without power and now, like a horrifying scene out of a science fiction movie, another storm, Nor’eastern Athena (I guess we are naming these now?), is bringing heavy wet snow, blustery winds, freezing temps and sheets of ice to the already reeling region.

Mark Sanchez visited NJ with first responders.

The NFL and NFLPA  generously donated $1 million dollars to the American Red Cross for Sandy relief in the days following the storm, and many teams, their owners and even some players have followed suit.

Zygi Wolf, owner of the Minnesota Vikings (and a New Jersey native), donated $100,000 to the relief efforts, Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson donated $100,000 of his own money to assist families in the region and Indianapolis Colts Owner Jim Irsay pledged to match online donations up to $1 per fan at last Sunday’s Colts game against the Miami Dolphins (the donation was expected to exceed $65,000).

On Tuesday, the New York Giants, who were directly impacted by the storm, donated $500,000 to storm relief charities in addition to donating food and money for victims through an annual food drive at MetLife Stadium before Sunday’s game. Several Giants players volunteered time to distribute food in New Jersey while others worked at the New Jersey Food bank separating food items and making sandwiches for relief workers. Quarterback Eli Manning also lent a hand, assisting the American Red Cross in its efforts on Staten Island.

Today, the Miami Dolphins and their owner Stephen Ross donated $500,000 to the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York to support Hurricane Sandy relief efforts (Ross is chairman of Related Companies, a real estate company in New York City). The team also announced that they will donate net proceeds from the sale of tickets for Sunday’s game against the Tennessee Titans to the American Red Cross.

Many other franchises and individual athletes have done their part to help those in need, including the New York Yankees, New York Mets, and the Baltimore Orioles.

But what about the Jets?

Good question.

To the best of my knowledge, as of Wednesday evening, only two members of the Jets organization have formally assisted with relief efforts — quarterback Mark Sanchez, who meet with first-responders in Toms River, NJ during his off day on Tuesday, and LB Marcus Dowtin, who  posted this on his Facebook page earlier this evening asking fans to share stories about their tough time dealing with Sandy, pledging to pay it forward at a home game TBD later this season.

But the team? The team  has done nothing.

Many Jets fans – myself included – have expressed our extraordinary disappointment with the organization’s failure to donate or organize any kind of relief to a fan base directly and devastatingly affected by Mother Nature, a fan base that has opened their pockets (Oh btw, the Jets have the most expensive average ticket price in the NFL) and given so much to this team over the years.

If the folks running the New York Jets Twitter account read their mentions – and I happen to know they do – then they’ve likely seen the outrage from the fans demanding they do something – anything – to help out their fans at a time when they are in desperate need of assistance from those more fortunate.

Many have argued that perhaps the Jets have done something in private. After all, many charitable donations are made without press releases. But come on, folks. This is the New York Jets. They don’t do anything without drawing attention to it, and you can bet that if they had made a donation or organized a team activity, we would ALL know about it.

With the election now over, one would think Woody Johnson’s attention would refocus on this team and it’s fan base, and I’ve heard rumblings that the team WILL do do something soon, but unfortunately, any time or money they do donate going forward will appear as if it’s only to save face. That said, the fact that the team MUST do something remains undisputed.

Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#2 dbatesman

dbatesman

Failgoat 2.0

• Members
  • 9,148 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

I hate this ****ing team. I really do.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#3 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,034 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Just wait till #15 the savior of our franchise gets wind of this...heads will roll and lives will be saved.

Edited by JiF, 08 November 2012 - 10:59 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Smashmouth

Smashmouth

Rex/Idzik gtfo

• Members
  • 13,508 posts
  • LocationRhome, Texas

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Just wait till #15 the savior of our franchise gets wind of this...heads will roll and lives will be saved.

Unfortunately Tebow only makes 2.5 mil which is probably the number a$$hole Woody should have donated to helping people in need. Im sure Tebow would donate his time however.

Proud Member of the AVM

#5 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Namath ripped him pretty good yesterday.

This team really has become a joke. I was young when Leon was here along with the mess of coaches....but I never got the sense that they didnt give two sh*ts about the fans like Woody.

The face of the franchise openly ripping the owner of the team...where else does this happen?

#6 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,034 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

This team really has become a joke. I was young when Leon was here along with the mess of coaches....but I never got the sense that they didnt give two sh*ts about the fans like Woody.

The face of the franchise openly ripping the owner of the team...where else does this happen?

Becoming a joke? haha thats a good one.

Where else is the face of the franchise a 70 year old man who hasnt taken the field in 40 years?
Posted Image

#7 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,958 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Becoming a joke? haha thats a good one.

Where else is the face of the franchise a 70 year old man who hasnt taken the field in 40 years?

Namath is really the only thing that thsi franchise can cling to for relevancy. Without Namath we are the Jaguars.

#8 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,034 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Namath is really the only thing that thsi franchise can cling to for relevancy. Without Namath we are the Jaguars.

Ummmm, Tim Tebow. duh
Posted Image

#9 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

There's no way the Jets didn't give money.

#10 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'd be extremely surprised if Johnson didn't do anything, but c'mon, irsay donating 65K, that's a joke. Dwade offered his complete game check of 216k before taxes. Anything less than a million from these billionaires, especially when it's your city seems pathetic.

#11 JoeC36

JoeC36

JetNation's Keeper Of The Anals

• Moderators
  • 11,983 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'd be extremely surprised if Johnson didn't do anything, but c'mon, irsay donating 65K, that's a joke. Dwade offered his complete game check of 216k before taxes. Anything less than a million from these billionaires, especially when it's your city seems pathetic.

I completely agree. I think i read the NFL as a whole gave a million. For a business that makes as much as they do, a million is a like 10 bucks to you and me. I think they should have given more.

289 Time Post of the Week Loser

#12 Joe Jets fan

Joe Jets fan

See ya Rex...

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

And how much time or $ did Tebow donate.

Edited by Joe Jets fan, 08 November 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#13 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

I completely agree. I think i read the NFL as a whole gave a million. For a business that makes as much as they do, a million is a like 10 bucks to you and me. I think they should have given more.

Agreed. And I hate sounding like that, because any donated money is clearly welcomed, as these men do not have to give away their money. However, when you're put in a position to help others out and you have the financial means, especially when it's your city, you should step up to the plate. The sad thing here is that a lot of these NFL owners and players do donate throughout the year, it's only when there's a way to negatively spin it that other people's charitable donations are brought up to compare others who haven't. I know Woody does a lot for the city of NY financially, I would be extremely, extremely shocked if he hasn't already or hasn't planned on doing it, if for no other reason than to look good in the public eyes. At that point, who gives a sh*t the reason why someone is donating the money so long as it's donated; there's no such thing as altruism anyways right? haha

#14 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

The wealthier you get the more cheaper you get. This is awful.

Knicks donated half a million. Its take some doing to get beat by James Dolan!

Edited by JetsFanInDenver, 08 November 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#15 afosomf

afosomf

mon

• Members
  • 21,750 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Come on mon Woody has grandiose plans

At next home game, he will help organize a pass the hat collection mon

#16 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

the truly sad thing is that the Jets can do whatever (or not) and we'd still be fans. Woody knows that and it drives every decision he makes.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#17 The Crusher

The Crusher

JiF is all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble

• Moderators
  • 29,997 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Marriages that end in divorce.

#18 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

he put together a fund raiser matching every fan who donated to the cause, one dollar per fan, which will amount to 65k out of his own pocket in addition to a minimum 65k (likely much more) from fans. yeah. what an a$$hole. Woody would never have done the same for a disaster in Indiana. Or NJ for that matter.

#19 peebag

peebag

What? Me Worry?

• Members
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

The Jets contribute by putting entertainment out on Sunday's - a melodrama

#20 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

he put together a fund raiser matching every fan who donated to the cause, one dollar per fan, which will amount to 65k out of his own pocket in addition to a minimum 65k (likely much more) from fans. yeah. what an a$$hole. Woody would never have done the same for a disaster in Indiana. Or NJ for that matter.

I guess you failed to read my subsequent post saying that it was obviously a welcomed gesture, but why do that when you can keep up with message board status quo and post a message dripping with sarcasm and condescension. Much appreciated. And I stand by my statement that 65k from a billionaire is a joke; just because another dumbass billionaire wouldn't do it if the situations were swapped, doesn't make it any better. I mean, since when is Woody Johnson our guiding light of morality?? When you see guys like Brad Pitt donating in the millions, Lady Gaga donating a million dollars to Japan, Dwade donating a full game check, all while their net monetary value is a fraction of an NFL owner, it does seem trivial. The donation from Irsay is still obviously welcomed, as I mentioned, but 65k is a drop in the bucket.

Edited by BroadwayJoe12, 08 November 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#21 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,958 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

slightly off topic, but this Francesa vs Liper thing is hysterical.

How does LI still not have power?

#22 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,849 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

slightly off topic, but this Francesa vs Liper thing is hysterical.

How does LI still not have power?

His utility workers are likely Jets fans. He seems to bitch he's the last one with power every time. He's last on the list of people I give a sh*t about having power atm so it works for me

Edited by SayNoToDMC, 08 November 2012 - 02:43 PM.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#23 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,015 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

I guess you failed to read my subsequent post saying that it was obviously a welcomed gesture, but why do that when you can keep up with message board status quo and post a message dripping with sarcasm and condescension. Much appreciated. And I stand by my statement that 65k from a billionaire is a joke; just because another dumbass billionaire wouldn't do it if the situations were swapped, doesn't make it any better. I mean, since when is Woody Johnson our guiding light of morality?? When you see guys like Brad Pitt donating in the millions, Lady Gaga donating a million dollars to Japan, Dwade donating a full game check, all while their net monetary value is a fraction of an NFL owner, it does seem trivial. The donation from Irsay is still obviously welcomed, as I mentioned, but 65k is a drop in the bucket.

Woody Johnson is known for charitable work. I'm sure that he will donate plenty.

Can't see blaming Irsay for "only" donating $65,000. He agreed to match whatever the fans donate. I'm sure that if they do not donate what he considers a sufficient sum that he will kick it up.

I don't like the whole guilt into charity thing. Whatever anybody donates is a blessing. I agree the teams that make their money from the community should donate something, but I don't think we have to set a price. It's nice that you call it a "welcomed gesture", but calling $65,000 a joke does make it seem like an insult. There are plenty of rich people in New York that don't own professional teams and nobody is calling them out.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#24 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,950 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Oh yeah, Woody Johnson has never given a single dollar to charity

LOL j/k

Edited by stoicsentry, 08 November 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#25 dbatesman

dbatesman

Failgoat 2.0

• Members
  • 9,148 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

Oh yeah, Woody Johnson has never given a single dollar to charity

LOL j/k

What took you so long?

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users