PFT: Jets Permission For Revis to Visit Bucs

flgreen

With trade likely, Jets give permission for Darrelle Revis to visit Bucs

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 21, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT

Getty Images
The Jets trading cornerback Darrelle Revis to the Buccaneers just got a lot more likely.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Jets have granted permission for Revis to visit Tampa Bay and undergo a physical with the Buccaneers.

Obviously, there’s no reason to do that except that the Jets and Bucs are planning a trade, and the Bucs want to be sure that Revis has made sufficient progress from the torn ACL that cut short his 2012 season. If the Bucs’ doctors clear Revis, it’s highly likely that Revis will be a Buccaneer within the next few days.

Now the biggest question is how much compensation the Bucs will give up for Revis. It’s expected that the Jets will get Tampa Bay’s first-round draft pick, No. 13 overall, and additional picks beyond that.

If this trade goes through, the Jets will be loaded in Thursday night’s first round. And the Buccaneers will have the NFL’s best cornerback.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this pans out in something that looks this way, I have no idea if it's fair or not, but this is the type of haul I'd like to see us get.

Jets get:

2013: 1st, 3rd, 5th

2014: conditional 3rd

Bucs get: 

Revis

2013: 6th

Then Jets trade 2013 5th for Chris Ivory.

Looks like this one is just about in the books. Glad to see it.

Week 1 just got a bit more interesting, huh?

Yep. And they wouldn't have let Revis visit if the compensation wasn't already agreed to. The deal will be done once Revis gets off the plane standing up.

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger 
on April 21, 2013 at 9:08 AM, updated April 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM
The Darrelle Revis trade saga may be nearing an end.

The Jets have granted permission for Revis to to visit Tampa Bay and take a physical, a person with knowledge of the situation said. The person requested anonymity because the Jets do not make trade details public.

The move is a key hurdle in a deal that could get done quickly. Revis will be in Tampa Sunday afternoon.

It's highly unlikely that the Jets would grant Revis this permission if a deal could not be worked out, or has not already

Yep. And they wouldn't have let Revis visit if the compensation wasn't already agreed to. The deal will be done once Revis gets off the plane standing up.

I posted the tweet from Woody last week "Thanks Greg".

My guess is the only reason it's picking up now, and didn't happen then, is because it could be spun as bad PR during a terrorist crisis. 

I posted the tweet from Woody last week "Thanks Greg".

My guess is the only reason it's picking up now, and didn't happen then, is because it could be spun as bad PR during a terrorist crisis.

Might not be as devious as all that. IMO, it's Idzik taking this to the 11th hour to reap the most out of the deal. Assuming the knee checks out (which the Jets confirmed this week), Idzik has the chance to finalize the trade by Tuesday, then have the two days leading up to the draft to have preliminary talks about trading the 9 or 13.

Exactly.  No way the Jets let this deal get to this point of letting another team actually talk to him unless they are certain Revis is getting traded.  Idzik has played this one very carefully and that's not going to suddenly change days before the draft.  Revis probably never even heads back to the Jets facility again, unless he's still got some crap left behind in his locker.

Might not be as devious as all that. IMO, it's Idzik taking this to the 11th hour to reap the most out of the deal. Assuming the knee checks out (which the Jets confirmed this week), Idzik has the chance to finalize the trade by Tuesday, then have the two days leading up to the draft to have preliminary talks about trading the 9 or 13.

Oh, I'm not meaning to imply deviousness, I just think they probably made headway this past week and kept it out of the public eye for the right reasons. Revis headlines should not supplant bombing victim headlines.

Either way, it doesn't matter.

I'm hoping that we now trade the #9 to STL for their #16 and #22. Net: 13, 16, 22 = 3 starters if we use the picks right, plus the additional compensation we get for Revis.

They better get enough compensation for trading away a top five player in franchise history.

100% agree they need to come out of this with at least 1st, 3rd and 5th rnd picks. Just a 1 + 5 would be too light for a player of Revis' stature

Oh, I'm not meaning to imply deviousness, I just think they probably made headway this past week and kept it out of the public eye for the right reasons. Revis headlines should not supplant bombing victim headlines.

Either way, it doesn't matter.

I'm hoping that we now trade the #9 to STL for their #16 and #22. Net: 13, 16, 22 = 3 starters if we use the picks right, plus the additional compensation we get for Revis.

The trade down would definitely be juicy, considering that every skill position player outside of Geno and Tavon Austin looks to be available later (Patterson's interviews have been so awful (read: Lil' Wayne-ish) that he's now considered a high second). IMO, though, the tipping point was Idzik being able to send along a few MRIs of the knee to Dominik with the caption, "Pay me, bish."

This is good. As much as you hate to lose someone as great as Revis, his demands are absurd, and CB is probably 4th or 5th on the position list of where you should put big money behind QB, DE (OLB in 3-4) LT, stud wR and maybe stud RB.

As much as I love Revis, this team is not doing squat with or without him this year, and there is almost zero chance of signing him long term after this year.

Get as much as possible for him, and move on. Much bigger fish to fry with this team, from finding a QB, to getting some playmakers, to a real HC.

This is good. As much as you hate to lose someone as great as Revis, his demands are absurd, and CB is probably 4th or 5th on the position list of where you should put big money behind QB, DE (OLB in 3-4) LT, stud wR and maybe stud RB.

As much as I love Revis, this team is not doing squat with or without him this year, and there is almost zero chance of signing him long term after this year.

Get as much as possible for him, and move on. Much bigger fish to fry with this team, from finding a QB, to getting some playmakers, to a real HC.

Yup.  Sad reality is it was Santonio's injury that hurt us more than Revis's last year.

Soon they'll both be gone.  In time Sanchez with them, and the B2BAFCG juggernaut will be all but completely dissembled.

Not having to worry about this mfer holding out ever again is compensation enough for me. Ahhhh. That feels nice. Like a good sh*t.

I kinda agree, but it's not really Revis' fault he got to this point. Tannenbaum decided he was a master poker player and he was going to teach Schwartz and Feinsod a lesson, forgetting that Schwartz and Feinsod had him by the balls each time. Good teams don't jerk their proven players around--they sign them, lock them up, and go about their business. Not Tannenbaum, though. He wanted to prove how smart he was by chasing pennies down the street--unfortunately it was into oncoming traffic.

I kinda agree, but it's not really Revis' fault he got to this point. Tannenbaum decided he was a master poker player and he was going to teach Schwartz and Feinsod a lesson, forgetting that Schwartz and Feinsod had him by the balls each time. Good teams don't jerk their proven players around--they sign them, lock them up, and go about their business. Not Tannenbaum, though. He wanted to prove how smart he was by chasing pennies down the street--unfortunately it was into oncoming traffic.

Well, to extend my metaphor, relieving Tannenbaum (of his doodies er, duties) was the fart before the dump. There, nice and tidy.

The fact there is no talk on twitter about compensation means the jets may have finally tightened up some leaks.

Seems much of the leaking was coming from 1. The agents and 2. The Bucs. The fact that the compensation hasn't leaked could mean that the Jets are going to get everything they wanted. If it was a Tampa win, you'd be reading about how they pwned Idzik.

Anything over $10m / year would be idiotic, IMO.

Revis will NEVER do in Tampa what he did here. Brees, Newton, Ryan, and a host of top tier receiving threats will see to that. Physically he's probably put his best years behind him. He's getting paid for what he did, not what he'll do.

If we get our full haul plus find a way to trade down with Minnesota or S. Louis, it'd be amazing. Very quick injection of talent an youth, all much-needed.

Gary Myers "thinks" he's getting $50 mil guaranteed.

myers article if the jets do that    "a team desperate for a marketable player and headlines over pays on an epic scale becuase nobody wants to play here, an when you consider his injury history, hold out history and position he plays,  dumb move"

myers article if the bucs do that    "a team that understand in a QB driven league you need players to slow them down, proving the jets didn't understand his value and the game of football"

Anything over $10m / year would be idiotic, IMO.

Revis will NEVER do in Tampa what he did here. Brees, Newton, Ryan, and a host of top tier receiving threats will see to that. Physically he's probably put his best years behind him. He's getting paid for what he did, not what he'll do.

If we get our full haul plus find a way to trade down with Minnesota or S. Louis, it'd be amazing. Very quick injection of talent an youth, all much-needed.

Completely agree.  And if he gets paid the ridiculous kind of numbers he's looking for, he will be not just be getting paid for what he did, but rather what he did 4 years ago and had shown no evidence of being able to replicate, even before this injury.

Archived