Kyle Wilson WrapsUp Best Off season as a Pro

flgreen

Kyle Wilson Wraps Up Best Offseason as a Pro
Posted by Randy Lange on  June 13, 2013 – 3:23 pm 

Updated, 3:38 p.m. ET

There’s something different about Kyle Wilson this offseason, and it’s a lot more than the absence of the trademark dreadlocks the cornerback wore his first three seasons in green and white.

“I’m excited about where Kyle is,” head coach Rex Ryan said this morning before the start of the final practice of the Jets’ full-squad minicamp at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “This is the best [offseason] he’s had, and its not close. I’ve been proud of the way he’s come into these OTAs, the way he’s competing.”

Wilson said there are no big secrets to the offseason he’s had.

“I’m just using my experience to my advantage,” he said. “I know exactly what to look for, I know why we’re calling stuff in different scenarios. I try to use that to think like a coach out there so I’m not having rookie mistakes. But you can see things and understand what we’re trying to do defensively to put myself in a better position.”

Wilson has a couple of things going for him in the Jets’ post-Island world. When Darrelle Revis went down for the season at Miami in Game 3, Kyle moved into Revis’ left corner spot for the last 13 games and 14 overall opposite Antonio Cromartie, giving him his most playing time as a pro — he averaged almost 60 defensive snaps a game playing either outside or in the slot.

The other element is the drafting of Dee Milliner ninth overall. Many assumed Milliner, the Alabama corner, was taken to plug into the starting lineup after Revis was traded to Tampa Bay the week of the draft.

“That’s wrong,” GM John Idzik said at the time. “It may be perceived that way, but the reality is Dee was one of our highest-ranked players, regardless of position on the board, so we took him.”

And the offseason reality has been that Milliner has been sidelined by his shoulder rehab as expected while Wilson has been picking up where he left off.

Motivation? “Yeah, it’s going to do something,” Wilson said in the locker room today before he and his teammates split for their last extended downtime of the year before the start of training camp. “But me just staying focused is going to help me out and that’s exactly what I’m going to do.”

“Certainly there’s going to be competition for that spot,” Ryan said. “Dee will have every opportunity to compete for that as well. You take a guy with the ninth overall pick for good reason. We’ll see how it goes.”

“Right now my focus is it doesn’t matter to me who’s here and who’s not here,” Wilson said. “I don’t think anything is going to change the way I go out there and perform on the field. That’s really my focus of getting better, doing my best personally to help out the team.”

Geno Comments a Day Later

Rookie QB Geno Smith clarified his no-comment responses to several questions at the end of his Wednesday locker room news conference regarding his attending Jets West, the independent get-together of Jets skill players that Mark Sanchez holds back in his Southern California stomping grounds.

“When you guys asked me about Jets West yesterday, myself and Mark, we hadn’t met to discuss that,” Smith said. “It kind of caught me off guard because it’s not on my schedule. Basically I didn’t comment because I was always taught if you don’t know what you’re answering, not to comment on it. We hadn’t talked about it.

“But from my understanding, it’s something that’s done annually, all the guys go out there, and it’s been a great event. Mark hasn’t officially extended the hand to me, but I’m pretty sure there’s no problem there. I’m more than willing to go there, get some work, and work with the guys, because it helps team bonding. I fully support that.”

Rex Cetera

Ryan on the minicamp and offseason: “I’m happy where the team’s at. Clearly we have a long way to go in a lot of areas, but we threw so much at our guys. I’m really proud of the preparation our guys showed, and obviously I think we made a lot of strides in our strength and conditioning. We’ve got a ton of stuff to improve on, we know that. This is just the beginning of the process.”

Receivers’ hands showed up better today. Stephen Hill had a nice go-route, wrong-shoulder grab of a Geno pass over Josh Bush during the final practice inside the Jets’ fieldhouse. Veteran tryout WR Mike Sims-Walker also had a nice grab. … Demario Davis and Aaron Berry had nice aggressive interceptions. … Ryan on the possibility of signing tryout WR Kellen Winslow: “I’m not going to discuss that now but I see exactly what you see. … You can certainly feel his presence.” … RB-KR Joe McKnight tweaked his ankle Wednesday but finished that practice and worked today

You'd think there would be more exciting things going on with the defense than Kyle Wilson not blowing coverages in early summer. I feel like we get an article or two about Kyle Wilson every year.

Hope the guy becomes first round draft pick caliber, but I'm not holding my breath.

You'd think there would be more exciting things going on with the defense than Kyle Wilson not blowing coverages in early summer. I feel like we get an article or two about Kyle Wilson every year.

Hope the guy becomes first round draft pick caliber, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you ever go out to a Jets practice, it's hard to notice the Jets defense because the offense is so putrid that the plays are over before the ball is snapped.

Every year were told Sanchez has progressively better and better OTAs/Camps too. Sometimes it means the player is developing and actually getting better. Other times the player is just getting better at the normal career routine of being a professional athlete (Sanchez is the latter for those who aren't sure). 

If you ever go out to a Jets practice, it's hard to notice the Jets defense because the offense is so putrid that the plays are over before the ball is snapped.

Maybe that's why the defense slips. Nobody actually ever sees it in action before preseason.

And also that other free agent guy from New Jersey.

Garrard? you have to be more specific the Jets signed like 7 dudes from NJ this offseason. Local flava. 

as for Rex on Kyle Wilson, why not? 

In this league every team needs more than 2 good cornerbacks. Kyle and Dee can both be good draft picks it's not an either/or situation. The Jets drafted Kyle Wilson with Cro and revis on board. The Jets need 3 good corners to run Rex's fancy blitzes. 

this does actually make some sense. If the passing defense was 6 overall and Kyle wilson was a starter for most of the season, he had to be doing something right. 

The loss of Laron Landry will hurt the D big time, if this team has a problem in the secondary it's not corner. 

While I certainly wouldn't take much from this quote, as you hear stuff like this every offseason about countless players, I do think Wilson gets way more crap around these parts than he deserves.  Granted he may not quite have lived up to what we were all hoping for when the Jets grabbed him in the first round, but truth be told, he was a pretty solid #2 CB for the Jets in the second half of last season after a shaky start.  Nothing spectacular and obviously nowhere close to the level of guys like Revis or Cromartie, but he's certainly improved over his time here and the Jets have had far, far worse than him, and plenty of other teams still do.

Guys been late first round draft pick caliber.  His technique sucked his rookie year.  Every year since he has improved.  After Revis went down last year, he started next to Cromartie, and played well.

No, he's not 2009 Revis, but neither is Milliner.  Or many other CB's in the league

Guys been late first round draft pick caliber.  His technique sucked his rookie year.  Every year since he has improved.  After Revis went down last year, he started next to Cromartie, and played well.

No, he's not 2009 Revis, but neither is Milner.  Or many other CB's in the league

Neither is Revis, tbh.

Kyle Wilson Wraps Up Best Offseason as a Pro

Posted by Randy Lange on  June 13, 2013 – 3:23 pm 

Updated, 3:38 p.m. ET

There’s something different about Kyle Wilson this offseason

That's earth shattering ... when the season starts there is going to be something that's the same about Kyle Wilson - he won't ever know where the ball is and despite this glaring defect for a DB  - he will still likely wag his finger at the opposing receiver when, miraculously, they miss the pass intended for them for a host of different reasons. None of which had anything to do with Kyle Wilson. 

No, he's not 2009 Revis, but neither is Milliner.  Or many other CB's in the league

I just feel like he underperforms a lot for a guy drafted in the first round. Maybe it's just I remember his epic fails better than his good games because that finger wag is SO ANNOYING.

I just feel like he underperforms a lot for a guy drafted in the first round. Maybe it's just I remember his epic fails better than his good games because that finger wag is SO ANNOYING.

LOL

I agree with that finger wag crap.  Makes him look like a fool.

He isn't a first round pick the way Milliner is, who was selected at 9.  I think Wilson was selected at 30.  Big difference.  Wilson's first couple of games in the league his technique was awful, and he got embarrassed on bad beats where he couldn't find the ball.  Then he seemed to lose his confidence as a rookie, and was very tentative the rest of his rookie year.  Not good for a cover CB where confidence is very important.

The next off seasons after 09-11 he worked out with Revis in Arizona.  The results were noticeable.  He played the slot very well.  After Revis was hurt last year Wilson played very well as the #2 starting CB.

This year they drafted Milliner, who I'm not sure is going to be ready.  If he is  Wilson will probably move back to the slot where he has done well.  Berry seems to  be playing well as the back up outside guy, or maybe even the starter if Milliner needs a year to get use to the NFL. 

All in All I think the Jets really have an Excellent CB group.  If the Safeties  can step up this might be an excellent secondary.  Even with out Revis.

You're right, I'm 99% sure he was picked at 30.

I'll admit he was WAY worse before he worked with Revis. I don't expect Milliner to be ready so I figure we'll be seeing Wilson a lot. I do hope the guy does better though...or at least stops wagging his finger so every time he screws up I'm not saying silently to myself, "WHO'S WAGGING WHO, B*TCH!"

But then again, we all know it's not the defense that we really have to be dreading anyway.

Wilson either gets a penalty or the QB overthrows the WR he's covering and then Wilson jumps around wagging his finger and and celebrating like he did something.

P.S. I will never forgive him for not catching that easy INT that drilled him in the face in the 4th quarter of the championship game against Pitt.  He makes that play the Jets win the game.

P.P.S. Wilson blows

That's earth shattering ... when the season starts there is going to be something that's the same about Kyle Wilson - he won't ever know where the ball is and despite this glaring defect for a DB  - he will still likely wag his finger at the opposing receiver when, miraculously, they miss the pass intended for them for a host of different reasons. None of which had anything to do with Kyle Wilson. 

Damn wish I would have seen this before I made my post. 100% agree with everything here.

Archived