flgreen

Wilkerson can be Jets' next Revis
October, 9, 2013
OCT 9
10:55
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
  •  
ny_g_muhammad-wilerson_mb_576x324.jpgRon Antonelli/Getty ImagesEmerging lineman Muhammad Wilkerson has logged four sack already this season.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Muhammad Wilkerson was tending to something in his locker, paying no attention to what was happening behind him. When he turned around, the hulking defensive end was surprised to see about 10 media types, hovering. 

"Whoa, what’s all of this?" he asked Wednesday in the New York Jets’ locker room. 

This, Mo, is what happens when you’re a big man on the New York football stage. 

Wilkerson is coming off one of his best games as a pro, a dominating Monday night performance that had ESPN analyst Jon Gruden gushing like a groupie. If America didn’t know about Wilkerson before then, it does now. 

30072.jpg

I think he's right there with the top defensive linemen in this league right now that aren't named J.J. Watt.
-- 
Rex Ryan
 on Mo Wilkerson

Quite simply, Wilkerson has a chance to be the franchise’s next Darrelle Revis, sans the player-management acrimony. He’s a homegrown star, not an import, ascending to the upper tier of his position.

"I think he’s right there with the top defensive linemen in this league right now that aren’t named J.J. Watt," said Rex Ryan, praising Wilkerson with the effusiveness he once reserved for Revis. 

Ryan talked up Revis so much in 2009 that his words, no doubt, were thrown back at management when the two sides went to the bargaining table in the summer of 2010 -- i.e. the long and nasty holdout. Ryan didn’t stop with the superlatives because, back in those days, he wasn’t shy about speaking his mind and he felt Revis was an all-timer. 

In a few months, the Jets and Wilkerson will be talking contract. He has only one year remaining on his rookie deal, and the team almost certainly will try to lock him up next offseason with a long-term deal -- probably the first mega-contract of the John Idzik era. The franchise-tag amount this year for a defensive end is $11.2 million, so that should provide a basic idea of how much of a yearly average we’re talking about. 

Wilkerson said he hasn’t given any thought to the pot of gold that awaits him. Not surprisingly, he said he doesn’t want to go anywhere. 

"I’m from New Jersey and, just being here these three years, it’s been great for me," he said. "I’m happy here. I definitely plan on hopefully being a Jet for life." 

ny_a_muhw_cr_65.jpg Muhammad Wilkerson #96 DE
New York Jets

2013 STATS

•  

Revis used to say the same thing, but it got complicated, as we all know. The Jets missed an opportunity to hammer out a long-term extension in 2010 and … well, there’s no point in retracing that chapter. Presumably, they learned a lesson and will take care of Wilkerson before there’s any tension. 

He’s a monster, the kind of player who can anchor a defense for a decade. Wilkerson already has four sacks, one shy of last season’s total. Because he’s not exclusively an edge player -- he often lines up inside -- it’s not easy to pick up sacks. A double-digit total would be a ridiculous season. 

"In my opinion, I’d say he’s the best [defensive lineman]," said linebacker Calvin Pace, the elder statesman of the defense. 

Wilkerson was drafted 30th overall in 2011, so it wasn’t like he was a can’t-miss lottery pick. He went 19 spots after Watt, the Houston Texans stud. The Jets took some risk because Wilkerson didn’t play in a power conference. He attended Temple and left after his junior year. 

"We just saw a guy we thought could be a truly dominant player," Ryan said. 

At the time, Ryan compared him to former New England Patriots star Richard Seymour, a potential Hall of Famer. People snickered. On Wednesday, Ryan claimed, "He actually does some things better than Richard does." 

The best thing about Wilkerson is there’s not an ounce of diva in him. If there were any more blue in his collar, he’d be playing in construction clothes. He stepped briefly out of character in an offseason interview, admitting he felt snubbed by not being selected to the Pro Bowl. That, he promised at the time, would motivate him. 

Reminded of his Pro Bowl ambition, Wilkerson backed off. 

"Some people say I’m going to make the Pro Bowl," he said, probably alluding to Gruden’s on-air hosanna. "I appreciate all the kind words, but at the end of the day, I have to play each game. Hopefully, we’ll see at the end of the year." 

Pace said it best: "I don’t think he knows how good he is." 

The Jets know. Maybe, just maybe, they’ll get it right this time and make sure he sticks around for a long time.

•  

The Jets have a lot of cap money next year.  Every one is going to be screaming for the Jets to be hiring a lot of FA's .

Not so fast.

The Jets have a lot of DL who are still on their rookie contracts, who are going to be going FA, Bang, Bang, Bang, over the next 3 years.  They are going to be expensive, and we have to pay them.

This DL can be special for a long time.  The Jets have to save money every year over the next 3 years so they can be signed long term

The Jets have a lot of cap money next year.  Every one is going to be screaming for the Jets to be hiring a lot of FA's .

Not so fast.

The Jets have a lot of DL who are still on their rookie contracts, who are going to be going FA, Bang, Bang, Bang, over the next 3 years.  They are going to be expensive, and we have to pay them.

This DL can be special for a long time.  The Jets have to save money every year over the next 3 years so they can be signed long term

I agree, The "Sons" of the Jets should all be re-inked and be with the franchise for the next 5 years. 

Wilkerson:  New contract

Richardson:  Wait until his 3rd season, new contract.

Coples:  Let him walk after his rookie deal.

Everyone else in the front 7:  Has to earn it in their contract years.

Sounds doable to me.  Good thing we're not paying any CB's QB money.

Wilkerson is too humble to be not serious about wanting to stay with the jets for life. He is just a great person aside from player. Revis obviously had his diva moments and they hit the head lines hard every time . Wilkerson seems more sincere

Wilkerson is too humble to be not serious about wanting to stay with the jets for life. He is just a great person aside from player. Revis obviously had his diva moments and they hit the head lines hard every time . Wilkerson seems more sincere

What a unique and interesting view on the subject.

Muhammad Wilkerson and the Jets are expected to begin discussing a contract extension within the next few months.
Wilkerson is easily outperforming his rookie deal, which expires after the 2014 season. Through five games, he has 19 tackles, four sacks and two forced fumbles while grading out as ProFootballFocus' No. 8 3-4 defensive end. "I think he's right there with the top defensive linemen in this league right now that aren't named J.J. Watt," said coach Rex Ryan. Wilkerson and rookie Sheldon Richardson are a huge reason why the Jets are 3-2 right now. Oct 10 - 9:16 AM
Source: ESPN New York

There's no direct quote from Idzik or management in there, but it's certainly nice to hear.  He's clearly outplaying his rookie contract and by coming to him early and the fact that we control him for at least three more years, I don't think this will be one of those all-time great contracts.  Sure, it'll be high, as well it should be, but if Mo does want the long term deal, he doesn't really hold that much leverage.  Hopefully Idzik can get it done quickly and quietly. 

He will be a jet as long as the jets pay him max money ! Prob 15 16 mil a year

Depends on how many sacks he gets this year.  I hope his contract won't be that high, but he sure isn't going to be cheap.

They are going to have to pay this DL big money to keep it together.  Jets have lots of cap room next year, before they start signing FA's I hope they take care of their own

Depends on how many sacks he gets this year.  I hope his contract won't be that high, but he sure isn't going to be cheap.

They are going to have to pay this DL big money to keep it together.  Jets have lots of cap room next year, before they start signing FA's I hope they take care of their own

They will. Take care of the home-grown man first.

First his contract isn't up for 2 more years so nothing will be done till then it's the reason the owners wanted the new cba

His current contract expires at the end of next season.    Most players, with a big market value, don't negotiate during the season of their contract year.  The Jets would be insane to let him hit the open market.

Starting negotiations now, and getting him signed at the end of the season is the smart thing to do 

First his contract isn't up for 2 more years so nothing will be done till then it's the reason the owners wanted the new cba

It's already been reported that they plan to open negotiations in the next few months; although that could be more of a guess on Cimini's behalf.  Either way, it makes sense, you go to him when you have all the leverage; you own him for three more years, there's the injury risk/security, the idea he'll be getting his money quicker than he'll get it any other way, which any investor will tell you money now is always better than money in the future.  You add all those up and that equates to a very nice contract for Wilkerson, but one that won't set the all-time records most likely.

Archived