Jets inking Kerley to 4 year deal

Matt39

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of surprised abut this.  Last thing I read about  Kerley he was talking about  how there was no spirit in the locker room.  His production is also down, which I think is due to the QB.  Thought he would want to test FA

Glad he's signed though 

What?

You would think that they would wait to see what they have in Harvin.

Hope they got him on a cheap

Why?

Suddenly there's a limit to how many good WRs we can possibly have on the team? 

You can be so illogical at times.

Does this send the message to Harvin that the Jets see him as an outside receiver, rather than slot? Is that the intention?

If it sends any message at all to Harvin, that message is we've got 2 guys we like locked up... it is up to you to make this work. 

I think Harvin will be used all over the place, fwiw, so establishing who plays where seems trivial. 

We certainly had to lock up this (generally unproductive) WR that no one else in the league was after, immediately after trading for a guy who plays the same position but is supposed to be better.

Guess missing on a half dozen WR's in the draft makes you afraid you can't actually build through the draft, eh?

Devil you know, and all that.

I like Kerley enough, but I had hoped we could do better.

If one believe that Harvin is only a "slot" receiver mold, then yes, you can have too many slot receivers.

That is not illogical at all.

No you can't. Not for a team that has been without good receivers for a long, long time.

There's literally no team in the NFL that would say "boy, I wish we had fewer capable slot receivers". 

LMFAO

We certainly had to lock up this (generally unproductive) WR that no one else in the league was after, immediately after trading for a guy who plays the same position but is supposed to be better.

Guess missing on a half dozen WR's in the draft makes you afraid you can't actually build through the draft, eh?

lol, haven't even seen the contract... LMFAO 

Based on his production, he ain't gonna be expensive. 

Exactly. We're just extending some homegrown talent. No biggie... I swear to God some of our fans just sitting around waiting for reasons to bellyache over nothing.

What?

You would think that they would wait to see what they have in Harvin.

Hope they got him on a cheap

If it's not a particularly high-priced deal, which there's no reason to believe it would be, I don't think there's any reason to let the Harvin situation dictate keeping him around.  The Jets have had more than enough problems with WR depth that there's no reason to let go of one of the few guys they've had success with in recent years.  Besides, even if Harvin does stick, that only increases the likelihood that the Jets won't want to make a big investment, via FA or the draft, in another WR next offseason, and they'd obviously still need a #3 guy even with Harvin on the team.

Assuming they didn't significantly overpay, I think it makes sense.

Kerley plays the slot, Harvin is the flanker. Despite having similar statures, those are not the same position.

Why wouldn't they sign him?  He's seemingly a good locker room guy and our offense was considerably worse without him last year.  If they got him on the cheap - which we know will be the case with Idzik - then there's literally nothing to complain about.  

If it's not a particularly high-priced deal, which there's no reason to believe it would be, I don't think there's any reason to let the Harvin situation dictate keeping him around.  The Jets have had more than enough problems with WR depth that there's no reason to let go of one of the few guys they've had success with in recent years.  Besides, even if Harvin does stick, that only increases the likelihood that the Jets won't want to make a big investment, via FA or the draft, in another WR next offseason, and they'd obviously still need a #3 guy even with Harvin on the team.

Assuming they didn't significantly overpay, I think it makes sense.

No doubt.

Going into next year, you've got Decker, Amaro and Kerley locked up. If Harvin proves to be a good fit, you renegotiate his deal. Harvin and Amaro can be moved all over the formation, and Kerley has shown he can play multiple WR spots too (due to other injuries), so you've got the potential on the offense (especially if we add another beast WR via FA or draft) to move guys around and create mismatches. 

I can't remember the last time we had that sort of flexibility in our offense, tbh.

No you can't. Not for a team that has been without good receivers for a long, long time.

There's literally no team in the NFL that would say "boy, I wish we had fewer capable slot receivers". 

LMFAO

It all depends on the salaries of those slot receivers. Everything has to have balance. You can't overpay in the slot position, to the detriment of the rest of the team.

i AM NOT saying this is a bad move, but it does seem to make Harvin an outside receiver or nothing. 

Exactly. We're just extending some homegrown talent. No biggie... I swear to God some of our fans just sitting around waiting for reasons to bellyache over nothing.

Not to mention both Harvin and Kerley can return kicks and punts. 

Based on what we've seen out there so far this year, I really hope to see one or both of them out there on Sunday. 

Kerley plays the slot, Harvin is the flanker. Despite having similar statures, those are not the same position.

Kerley, nice guy or not, is a fourth or fifth tier NFL WR (i.e. a JAG).

He's part of that roster widely called "talentless" by a majority of Jets fans and the pro football media.

And he's been utterly unproductive in 2014.

Sorry, but I hoped we could do better at WR going forward than that.

/shrug

Guess I'll just have to be proven wrong on both Harvin (the injury prone cancer) and Kerley (the nice guy JAG).

Archived