Jets inking Kerley to 4 year deal

Matt39

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, good grief. No, you didn't say it was a bad move, instead you inferred that it made no sense, which everyone surely would interpret as unadulterated jubilation over the move.

Stop trying to compartmentalize both guys as slot receivers. Harvin gets used all over the place = fact. Kerley has also played well in multiple receiver spots = fact. If you are the Jets, a team that has had no playmakers for a few years now, you lock up the ones you get the chance to.

Harvin isn't even a lock to be on the team next year. Passing up the chance to secure Kerley, in case maybe Harvin is retained and in case maybe Harvin stays healthy forever, is foolish.

Honestly, everything you've barked about this meager contract extension is foolish.

Barked? Where have I barked? I just consider the timing odd. I have no problems with teh signing, regardless how much youy try to twist my thoughts otherwise.

I just hope they bring in another legit WR into camp next year instead of just hoping that one of Enunwa and Evans will pan out and that Harvin will be healthy/a model citizen.

If the top three (Decker Harvin and Kerley) seem to work out, I wouldn't mind bringing back Salas and keeping them two as our 4-6. Obviously I'd hope we can bring in someone else, but if somehow Harvin works out and we restructure his contract, I'd be happy with them as our WR corp. 

Strange timing. Makes me feel like Idzik just did his old team a favor by ridding them of their headache and he has no intention of keeping Harvin long term.

Love Kerley. Glad WR locked him up. I always feared the day we didnt and he lit it up on a team with a real QB.

And the good news is that this is shaping up to be an excellent draft for OL, which we are in desperate need of. Huge opportunity between now and May to set things up very nicely for either a vet or young QB to transition in.

Lots of very good olineman available, but do you pass up Mariota or Winston if you're on the clock?  I would imagine you'll see Brick and Mangold restructured and signed to an extension to lower their cap hit the next year or two, I'm not sure I'd want to draft someone in the top 15 if they aren't going to start for a few years.  Lots of good WR talent too: Cooper, White, Coates, Funchess, DGB (if he comes out) and others.  And then unfortunately, a handful of decent corners. 

Lots of very good olineman available, but do you pass up Mariota or Winston if you're on the clock?  I would imagine you'll see Brick and Mangold restructured and signed to an extension to lower their cap hit the next year or two, I'm not sure I'd want to draft someone in the top 15 if they aren't going to start for a few years.  Lots of good WR talent too: Cooper, White, Coates, Funchess, DGB (if he comes out) and others.  And then unfortunately, a handful of decent corners. 

We shouldn't pass on Mariota, but we should treat Winston like he has ebola - I don't want any part of giving him the keys to the franchise. I take Peat over Winston 100 times out of 100 if they're both on the board. Our OL is 3rd oldest in the league, we should be looking to phase out Brick and Mangold and rebuild the line. Move Brick to RT for the time being.

Have to see how he grades out first. If he tests high enough I don't think we'll be in a position to draft him, and I think Winston drops. There is so much to like about his game but I think when combine time comes he'll be exposed, he can't hide under the FSU umbrella forever. All that said, even if we don't go OL in round 1, thus far I count at least 20-25 guys who are going to go in late 1st through early 4th. If I had to guess right now I'd say if we don't draft #1 we'll be taking Cooper or Ogbeuhi. And even if we take the former we still have to go heavy on OL in the first 5 or so rounds. We are in bad shape on the line and are in desperate need of young talent, it's just not a problem that free agency can solve IMO.

And yeah, the good news in this dumpster fire of a season is that it looks like Brick and Mangold can still play. So there is some maneuverability that the Jets have for the weakside and interior.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised.   I thought Harvin would be the guy that would move into the slot, so they could have a true No. 1/2 type guy next year with the savings from Kerley plus some money.   I'm not a huge fan of Kerley, he's good, but I don't think what he brings to the table is irreplaceable, although I guess if we keep drafting the Jalen Saunders of the world, then it might be.  I think his stats were padded because no one else would be open and he was the emergency option running crossing routes all over the place.   

Atleast the deal reportedly has a low amount of guaranteed money, so that's good.  

Harvin who was just kicked off another team is being paid 7 million.  That seems more then fair

Harvin wasnt our "own guy". Why pay Kerley, the only guy that didnt bitch with all the changes going on around him on the cheap? He went out there and gave it his all every week. Harvin has nothing to do with what I'm presenting here. 

We shouldn't pass on Mariota, but we should treat Winston like he has ebola - I don't want any part of giving him the keys to the franchise. I take Peat over Winston 100 times out of 100 if they're both on the board. Our OL is 3rd oldest in the league, we should be looking to phase out Brick and Mangold and rebuild the line. Move Brick to RT for the time being.

agreed 100% on Winston ...I think this is the year if there is a blue chip O lineman there we take him it's been too long ..fans will scream for a " playmaker" a blue chip O lineman is a playmaker in my mind.

Ugh, guess we're not drafting Cooper.

Stuckey was better, these slot guys are a dime a dozen

Why?

Again, I don't get this logic by some of you. This team has been devoid of playmakers for what feels like forever, now, because we signed Decker, we extend Kerley and we roll the dice on Harvin we've somehow hit the limit on how much we can invest in WR?

Extending Kerley has absolutely no impact on whether we draft Amari Cooper — whether or not Geno makes the coaching staff think he's the guy does.

Agreed. That's a lit of coin for a 4th option.

It's only about $5mil guaranteed, which is all that matters. It's a modest price to pay to lock up a guy who has been a positive contributor to this team and still has his best football ahead of him.

It's only about $5mil guaranteed, which is all that matters. It's a modest price to pay to lock up a guy who has been a positive contributor to this team and still has his best football ahead of him.

The cap hits are going to end up being more than reasonable for the Jets, I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around the disappointment on this.  I know it's because most assume that any WR below 6' automatically has to play the slot and not we have two of them, but locking up a productive WR entering his prime for average money is a good thing. Especially one who wants to be here. 

Archived