Jets Tailgate Vehicles Thread

Lot K Tailgaters

Over the years I've toyed around with the idea of buying an ambulance, short bus, or a work van and making it into a tailgate vehicle.  Haven't had the funds to actually make it happen but I'm thinking maybe in another year I can make it happen. 

I know some people on here have their own special tailgate vehicles and figured I would get feedback.  Also does anyone k

now do short buses and ambulances have to pay the $75 or $100 parking like regular buses and trailers have to do?

Feel free to share pictures or anything of whatever you do have now for your tailgate vehicle.  Oh and let's leave this to a thread on point and not hijacked about how awful tailgating is.

You may want to steer clear of the ambulance option. Bad karma.

I'd go with the short bus or work van.

You could also go with a small, used catering truck all dressed up with Jet green and logos and you'll be all set.

You could also buy an old Coupe De Ville and paint it kelly green.

Saw some guys once with that on the turnpike before a game.

It was during the Kotite era.  They had "Ditch Rich" spray painted in white all over it. Hilarious.

My buddies and I considered doing this back in the 90"s when 4 of us with season tickets went regularly with 2 stragglers every week. The concerns were where do you park it,who pays for insurance,repairs and fuel. Theres always 1 guy who doesn't pay up no matter what the situation may be. Consider a regular passenger van with comfortable seats and storage you can park amongst the regular cars otherwise you will pay a higher price to park. Good luck! 

28e685cf8099b944466f78b2a9e1bca1.jpg

Over the years I've toyed around with the idea of buying an ambulance, short bus, or a work van and making it into a tailgate vehicle.  Haven't had the funds to actually make it happen but I'm thinking maybe in another year I can make it happen. 

I know some people on here have their own special tailgate vehicles and figured I would get feedback.  Also does anyone k

now do short buses and ambulances have to pay the $75 or $100 parking like regular buses and trailers have to do?

Feel free to share pictures or anything of whatever you do have now for your tailgate vehicle.  Oh and let's leave this to a thread on point and not hijacked about how awful tailgating is.

It's very cool as long as u have a place to park during week other than driveway (hopefully u can put in garage, or other lot etc).. neighbors usually dont go for that stuff ( I mean green painted with logos/Jets wording etc) and if it is as in my development it would violate signed Legal Covenants if parked outside where it could be seen.

It's very cool as long as u have a place to park during week other than driveway (hopefully u can put in garage, or other lot etc).. neighbors usually dont go for that stuff ( I mean green painted with logos/Jets wording etc) and if it is as in my development it would violate signed Legal Covenants if parked outside where it could be seen.

Would never live in a place with an "association" covenant.  Some years ago my wife wanted to buy a house in a subdivision with an association, almost got to the point that I was going to give them a down payment.  The realtor gave us a book to flip through with the rules.   Quickly came to a page of restrictions.   Called the realtor.    Asked, No pick ups?  No.  No motorcycles?  No.    No sale and hung up

I was always fond of JN's exclusive Kingsley million dollar party vehicle

14ild2r.jpg

With flat screens and fully stocked bar

2qio9jp.jpg

Tailgate Joe circa 2007..lol anything can happen people..the legendary yellow hummer

11s0cx0.jpg

Would never live in a place with an "association" covenant. Some years ago my wife wanted to buy a house in a subdivision with an association, almost got to the point that I was going to give them a down payment. The realtor gave us a book to flip through with the rules. Quickly came to a page of restrictions. Called the realtor. Asked, No pick ups? No. No motorcycles? No. No sale and hung up

A ridiculous thing, you're right.

If I want to paint my house polka dot, GFY. I will never understand why anyone would voluntarily live in a HOA neighborhood.

I'm guessing the 'fl' in your handle means Florida. My cousin lives in Cape Coral. Those pricks will literally come out with a ruler and measure your grass. All houses have to be earth tones, etc. F that.

I live in a complex with condos and townhouses and no one has their own garage.  That part could be an issue but the by laws and rules/regs state commercial and recreational vehicles are not allowed.  If there was a real stink I could just park it on the street my unit is right along it and it's town property.  I would just need to make sure it's not vandalized. 

Old school busses are just that old school busses in N.J they reach life expectancy at 13 years many have low miles and can be bought cheap at auctions the problems include the size and funds to maintain them who wants a huge Jets bus parked in their driveway year round and who can fit one.  Dont get me wrong I too have considered doing this after all the research I decided if it ever happens it will be a Chevy panel passenger van not a yacht thats hard to park and maintain. 

G7J.jpg

If I want to paint my house polka dot, GFY. I will never understand why anyone would voluntarily live in a HOA neighborhood.

I'm guessing the 'fl' in your handle means Florida. My cousin lives in Cape Coral. Those pricks will literally come out with a ruler and measure your grass. All houses have to be earth tones, etc. F that.

That's a to each his own theme. HOAs work quite well in many situations.

If you pay 1 million for a home... Do you want a Patriots bus parked in your neighbors driveway????

Yeah those HOA's are Nazi's.  Was just a story in the news down here about some Korean war   vet  who ran up $100,000 in fines for flying an American flag.  Pretty dumb on his part, I would have just moved, but still

I was always fond of JN's exclusive Kingsley million dollar party vehicle

14ild2r.jpg

With flat screens and fully stocked bar

2qio9jp.jpg

Tailgate Joe circa 2007..lol anything can happen people..the legendary yellow hummer

11s0cx0.jpg

Uncle Tony ruled. Joe has taken over the crown.

Yeah those HOA's are Nazi's. Was just a story in the news down here about some Korean war vet who ran up $100,000 in fines for flying an American flag. Pretty dumb on his part, I would have just moved, but still

Ugh.

The thing I don't get, and maybe a lawyer can answer this, is how any HOA can violate the first amendment. Yeah yeah, you voluntarily signed up, yadda yadda, I get it. But slavery (13th Ammendment) wouldn't be tolerated under any HOA. How can 1A be violated?

He upgraded to the new "4" series FYI

Thank you. It cost $60,000 and repels tailgate-fueled seagull feces in NFL parking lots. And if that doesn't work, there's always Detail Joe in the tailgate-free lot.

SAR I

Ugh.

The thing I don't get, and maybe a lawyer can answer this, is how any HOA can violate the first amendment. Yeah yeah, you voluntarily signed up, yadda yadda, I get it. But slavery (13th Ammendment) wouldn't be tolerated under any HOA. How can 1A be violated?

Don't get it either.  It all comes down to the contract I guess.  There is a great horror/black comedy  book out by  a guy, I think  something Little, not sure, called "The Association"  very entertaining  book.

I guess if the rules don't break any other laws, like beheading, or flogging, they seem to stand in court.  Many horror stories about stubborn people having very expensive homes taken for stupid reasons.

That's why I would never live in a "Association Community".  Way to stubborn myself . 

Old school busses are just that old school busses in N.J they reach life expectancy at 13 years many have low miles and can be bought cheap at auctions the problems include the size and funds to maintain them who wants a huge Jets bus parked in their driveway year round and who can fit one.  Dont get me wrong I too have considered doing this after all the research I decided if it ever happens it will be a Chevy panel passenger van not a yacht thats hard to park and maintain. 

G7J.jpg

I would get the van but not sure I could fit 3-4 people in it.  Also would be nice for a bus or ambulance for cold weather games you can sit inside the thing.  Just like you said a pain to keep when it's not game day. 

Yeah those HOA's are Nazi's.  Was just a story in the news down here about some Korean war   vet  who ran up $100,000 in fines for flying an American flag.  Pretty dumb on his part, I would have just moved, but still

It depends if your HOA is for condos and townhouses or houses.  I'm president of my condo association.  Most thankless job ever.  Somehow I got suckered into it though.  There are laws though that you cannot ban flags or signs in windows.  You can however regulate the size.

While we didn't have it happen our lawyer told us a story about how an African American husband and wife moved into an adult community.  The next door neighbor decided to put up a confederate flag as soon as they moved in.  The association called the lawyer and he said you can't do anything about it.  You can talk to the homeowner but you cannot actually make him take it down.  Also if someone wants to put up a sign in their window for a presidential candidate they endorse they can.  You can regulate the size of the sign in the window though.

Either way I look forward to the day I can live in an actual house without some of these rules.

How about a conversion van? Admittedly not as cool as some other options, but pound-for-pound (or dollar-for-dollar) I couldn't think of a better option.

Picked one up for like $1k when I became a PSL holder and the new stadium opened. Thing was falling apart when I got it, but a summer of repairs/upgrades in the driveway and it does the job better than anything else I can think of.

Had to do a bunch of mechanical things to get it running safely (tune up, brakes, exhaust, new wiring, some good all-season tires, fuel pump, water pump...). So weeks spent on that part. Though easily avoided if you don't want to do the work yourself. Just spend a bit more on a better running van.

Then the tailgating upgrades:

1. Wired in 4 marine batteries with a switch normally found in boats that allows me to switch between battery banks. So there's no risk of killing your main battery.

2. New digital antenna since older model conversion vans came with analog antennas. Even have an output jack with a power switch that will boost the signal. So it's easy to hook up any external TV to watch the Giants lose while tailgating.

3. Flat-screen TV upgrade in the van. Again since the older vans came with analog TVs.

4. External and internal lighting wired up to all the extra buttons that come with a conversion van. Makes night games more fun glowing/flashing green.

5. Better radio (w/bluetooth so you can DJ from your phone) and a couple amplifiers to power upgraded speakers/subwoofer(s). Also wired in a few extra long speaker lines that I use to hook up external speakers for "surround sound" during tailgates. It's nothing extremely loud like those PA systems some setup. But it's loud enough for your group to enjoy. Even surrounding groups if people join in. Most importantly though, with the surround speakers, it'll block out those really loud PA systems when needed. Kind of giving you your own little music bubble.

6. High output alternator (when needed for an extra boost).

7. Throw on some decals and you're set.

8. Not exactly an upgrade to the van but a Honda EU2000i generator comes in handy at times too if you're drawing tons of power the batteries and alternator can't handle. Kind of expensive but quiet enough so it doesn't annoy anyone next to you. Darn thing can be running full throttle and you can hold a conversation when sitting on it.

Complete tailgate solution in an easy to drive "normal" vehicle. Plus you've got comfortable captains chairs, a reclining bench/bed and a TV in the van if the weather ever gets too bad. Though we've only had to do that once for a couple hours so far.

Normal payload is 4 people with canopy, tables, chairs, power inverters, generator, microwave, coffee machine, Wii system, grill, coolers, external TV, dartboard/cornhole, propane tanks, heaters and so on... We've carried all that stuff with 7 people one time, but that took some really creative Tetris-like packing and it was damn tight.

Hell, the old '95 Dodge even has a hitch and enough power to carry all that and tow along a trailer . Which I'm thinking of adding one of these seasons for sort of a portable living room (couches, heat vent, tv on the wall, bar...) for those days later in the season when it's bitterly cold, windy as **** and sleeting/snowing.

Again, not nearly as visually cool as some of the trucks, ambulances and buses. But it was the best/cheapest option for what I needed.

I still think a trailer is the best option. Why pay for a vehicle that you only want to use 8 days a year. You have to deal with maintaining it and keeping it in running condition all year just for those eight days. As cheap as a used bus or van may be, when you have to drop 1,000 or more to fix broken stuff on it do you really want to do that on something you drive 8 days a year. You can easily outfit the trailer with a couch, tvs, sat dish, fridge, and grill. It is also easier to roll your big grill in and out of the trailer than to lift it in and out of a van. Also, if you are planning on having a full size grill, and why wouldn't you if you are going to this trouble, a lot of them might not fit standing into a van, I know this from experience. I have used suvs, vans, trucks, and trailers as tailgate rigs.

I still think a trailer is the best option. Why pay for a vehicle that you only want to use 8 days a year. You have to deal with maintaining it and keeping it in running condition all year just for those eight days. As cheap as a used bus or van may be, when you have to drop 1,000 or more to fix broken stuff on it do you really want to do that on something you drive 8 days a year. You can easily outfit the trailer with a couch, tvs, sat dish, fridge, and grill. It is also easier to roll your big grill in and out of the trailer than to lift it in and out of a van. Also, if you are planning on having a full size grill, and why wouldn't you if you are going to this trouble, a lot of them might not fit standing into a van, I know this from experience. I have used suvs, vans, trucks, and trailers as tailgate rigs.

A trailer would get musty and still need a vehicle capable of pulling it parking would be an issue as well. You could get the grill that mounts to the trailer hitch and put that on the back of a van. You could also drive that van year round and have an extra vehicle if your main ride needs to be in the shop.

Archived