### NY Jets vs Indianaoplis Colts --- MNF Game Thread ###

Maxman

I'm saying it served the dual purpose.  Burning clock AND having the cumulative taxing effect on the defense.  And limiting the possession time for Andrew Luck is a purpose that can be served all game long, not just the 4th quarter.  Bowles wants to establish our identity as a running team, and I don't see why he's automatically thrown in the same camp as Rex Ryan. 

Now, when it comes to throwing deep balls most of the game, THAT is the part I am critical of Bowles/Chan for sticking with.  Our receivers were finding plenty of space against their zone defense, especially since Fitz had time to throw.  Had we stuck with the run AND stuck with more of a short-passing attack, that would have been the right balance.  The constant attempts at throwing the deep ball was where adjustments will need to be made going forward. 

It did not have a dual effect at all. Had we put together a 9 minute drive instead of a 4 minute drive, or repeated long drives thanks to pounding it successfully, then you could make that argument.

First off, we had a bunch of 3 and outs. So the additional clock we ran off was minimal. You're talking about 40 seconds or a minute-twenty seconds of game clock per possession. It isn't much.

Second, and just as importantly, you're using the failed results of those drives to presume that having short/failed drives were inevitable. I would submit that a successful drive of dinking and dunking our way downfield would eat up far more clock - and would exhaust the defense far more - than us going 3 and out where we ran it twice up the gut without success, combined with an incomplete, low-percentage, very deep attempt.

One need not run the ball over and over to eat up clock. Especially since the passing game that was working so well was of the the short to intermediate (high percentage) variety.

It's not a choice between running it for the sake of running it and punting vs throwing 3 incomplete deep passes and punting. That argument presumes those are the only 2 choices and outcomes, and it is a false premise to say the least.

• Upvote 1

It gobbles up clock per play, but not necessarily time.  It only eats up more time and clock if you're staying on the field. If you're going 3 and out the difference between passing and running is only game clock. But unless late-game conditioning is the concern, the defense isn't on the field defending plays for any less time if we go 3 and out passing vs 3 and out rushing. Only difference is the game clock isn't ticking while we're huddling up. 

Plus anyway, you don't gameplan to run out the clock with a 10 point lead against a potentially dangerous, quick strike offense with 30+ minutes left to play. Save that kind of playcalling for late in the game when the # of remaining possessions becomes a factor.

Well of course you will burn up more clock if you stay on the field longer.  Yet, by not passing and throwing incomplete passes you burn as much clock as possible with the time you do have the ball.  Not sure they knew they would have known they will be up by 10 with 30 minutes to play when they were game planning.  I think they game planned to shorten the game and keep Luck from beating them.  Amazing how they adjusted to not having a running game. 

I definitely got the impression that they knew the Colts were loading the box against the run, but were still willing to run against it anyway in order to setup the potential for big plays.  The problem with that however was that the attempts at deep passes were all a complete mess, as the Colts had constant safety help and the Jets still didn't have the only "speed guy" they have at the position out there.  Things definitely should have changed earlier on, as it became pretty obvious that whenever Jets decided to do any passing other than deep balls, Colts were rolling coverage towards Marshall and Decker was tearing them apart.

With all of this said, while the downside is that the Jets should have made this change earlier, the upside is that they made it at all.  We all knew that as soon as the Colts scored the TD, the offense absolutely had to answer back, and at that moment everything changed and they marched right down the field for a TD.  Now granted they shouldn't have waited so damn long to do that, but in the past it would seem like the same old Jets for that to be when the game completely falls apart for them, but instead they stepped it up when needed in the end.  Far from great, but that was at least one step in the right direction.

Classic game manager QB kind of win. I think the play calling was predicated on exactly what was happening on the field. They went conservative when they felt the defense had control and stepped it up when needed. This team won't win many shootouts and they need to avoid them. What would we be saying if they had Fitz chuck the ball all over the field and he got pick sixed to let Indy back into the game? Fitz does have a history of being interception prone and we need to keep that in mind...

going all in on pocket aces and losing to someone who called you with j-10 doesn't mean your strategy was bad. The right strategy last night was to attack their weakness at cornerback. Instead we stubbornly kept attacking the strongest part of their defense last night. We won, but barely. The score isn't indicative of how close we came to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. It was stubbornness. They looked weaker against the run vs bills and running is supposed to be our strength. Refusing to adjust when they had an apparently good plan against the run and an obvious, glaring weakness in the secondary was stupid. 

• Upvote 1

going all in on pocket aces and losing to someone who called you with j-10 doesn't mean your strategy was bad. The right strategy last night was to attack their weakness at cornerback. Instead we stubbornly kept attacking the strongest part of their defense last night. We won, but barely. The score isn't indicative of how close we came to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. It was stubbornness. They looked weaker against the run vs bills and running is supposed to be our strength. Refusing to adjust when they had an apparently good plan against the run and an obvious, glaring weakness in the secondary was stupid. 

Great post.  Glad we won.  I like the direction of the team in general, but you take what the defense gives you (to some degree) and you have to put the other team out when you can.

Good game last night.  Congratulations Jets.  Darrelle Revis is worth every penny paid.  I also like Chris Ivory.  In terms of Ryan Fitzpatrick,  I think Bowles shows what a team can do with a non-franchise QB and good offense.  I don't see Geno coming back as your starter.    Right now, your team is doing well with Fitz. If it's not broke, don't fix it.   

Good game last night.  Congratulations Jets.  Darrelle Revis is worth every penny paid.  I also like Chris Ivory.  In terms of Ryan Fitzpatrick,  I think Bowles shows what a team can do with a non-franchise QB and good offense.  I don't see Geno coming back as your starter.    Right now, your team is doing well with Fitz. If it's not broke, don't fix it.   

Thanks.  So is Buster Skrine and Marcus Gilchrist.  The Jets secondary as a whole is night and day from last year.    Revis is the cherry on top that makes everyone else better. Hopefully your Bills learned an important lesson from Sundays game; LET YOUR PLAY DO THE TALKING FOR YOU.  As I said to you during the summer, Rex needs to learn his boasting only makes it hard on his own players because it just fires up the other team that much more.  Even when he isn't doing a lot of yapping, he has created an environment where his players feel comfortable shooting off their mouths.     Bowles is just the opposite and has been working hard to eliminate any inflammatory comments about any opponents.   You can only hope Rex has finally got it.  Some how I doubt it though. 

Thanks.  So is Buster Skrine and Marcus Gilchrist.  The Jets secondary as a whole is night and day from last year.    Revis is the cherry on top that makes everyone else better. Hopefully your Bills learned an important lesson from Sundays game; LET YOUR PLAY DO THE TALKING FOR YOU.  As I said to you during the summer, Rex needs to learn his boasting only makes it hard on his own players because it just fires up the other team that much more.  Even when he isn't doing a lot of yapping, he has created an environment where his players feel comfortable shooting off their mouths.     Bowles is just the opposite and has been working hard to eliminate any inflammatory comments about any opponents.   You can only hope Rex has finally got it.  Some how I doubt it though. 

I totally agree JetBlue.  As I mentioned earlier,  I am not one to boast or brag about a win before it happens.  Personally,  I didn't agree with what many of our fans were saying and doing last week.  I want to put this game behind and hope for a better outcome in this Sunday's game.  

Edited by jeaniec

I totally agree JetBlue.  As I mentioned earlier,  I am not one to boast or brag about a win before it happens.  Personally,  I didn't agree with what many of our fans were saying and doing last week.  I want to put this game behind and hope for a better outcome in this Sunday's game.  

You are playing the Dolphins, right?  They have looked less than impressive so far; that should a win for you guys. 

You are playing the Dolphins, right?  They have looked less than impressive so far; that should a win for you guys. 

Yes,  we re playing the Dolphins.  Thank you for your vote of confidence.  I so hope you are right about our win.  

They didn't change their blocking schemes. 

Your second point is not a good mentality IMO. Whatever one's preconceived notions were a month ago, we played the team before us. And the team before us was begging to be picked apart by high-percentage dinking and dunking. 

If this was the superbowl I don't care about style points. This is game 2 of the season and I'm talking about what might be this team's in-game trends, and stubbornness of sticking with a gameplan on offense in spite of what's working and what's not working, appeared to be one of them.

The reason it worked is they missed a chip-shot FG and Gore fumbled without a defender touching him, while the Colts offense was marching downfield with relative ease. It's not like the Jets defense or special teams units played any part in reversing what was likely going to be 10 points (6 for sure). Throw in the luckiness of a pick popping up into the air, with room to return it a bunch, for Pryor, and that's your whole ballgame. 

We'll have to agree to disagree.  When you're playing with a weak armed QB who might not have the entire O down and the Colts are trying to suck you into throwing into their zone because its their best chance I don't see why you let them dictate the change of the game plan.  Again, adjustments don't mean you abandon the run or pass.  I said you can change blocking schemes etc.

I also don't make excuses for my team winning, counting things like missed FGs as if they actually happened.  And luck.  We missed a FG, you don't count that though.  Fumbles are part of the game they happen the way Gore fumbled all the time.  You get the good with Gore and you get the fumbles when they come.  You want to give the Colts credit for a TD they didn't get and  FG they didn't get.  On another day they mey get those 10 points.  And we might have hit that 45 yard FG, Fitz might have not thrown a pick on the goal line and we still win by the same margin.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  When you're playing with a weak armed QB who might not have the entire O down and the Colts are trying to suck you into throwing into their zone because its their best chance I don't see why you let them dictate the change of the game plan.  Again, adjustments don't mean you abandon the run or pass.  I said you can change blocking schemes etc.

I also don't make excuses for my team winning, counting things like missed FGs as if they actually happened.  And luck.  We missed a FG, you don't count that though.  Fumbles are part of the game they happen the way Gore fumbled all the time.  You get the good with Gore and you get the fumbles when they come.  You want to give the Colts credit for a TD they didn't get and  FG they didn't get.  On another day they mey get those 10 points.  And we might have hit that 45 yard FG, Fitz might have not thrown a pick on the goal line and we still win by the same margin.

Just saying you can't game plan with the expectation of getting lucky. And if his arm is so suspect, and that's what's allegedly fueling strategy, why is he attempting all those bombs? He was eating up their soft zones underneath on shorter slants and outs. It was easy money. 

Not correcting a plan that is failing isn't an admission of defeat. If they're going to stack the box it's not smarter to keep running into it to show how he won't be thrown off his pre game plans. That's just stubbornness. And I hope is aspect of his coaching doesn't continue and use lucky, unrelated occurrences to justify it. 

We won and are sitting pretty at 2-0. That doesn't mean everything they do is correct or smart. 

Just saying you can't game plan with the expectation of getting lucky. And if his arm is so suspect, and that's what's allegedly fueling strategy, why is he attempting all those bombs? He was eating up their soft zones underneath on shorter slants and outs. It was easy money. 

Not correcting a plan that is failing isn't an admission of defeat. If they're going to stack the box it's not smarter to keep running into it to show how he won't be thrown off his pre game plans. That's just stubbornness. And I hope is aspect of his coaching doesn't continue and use lucky, unrelated occurrences to justify it. 

We won and are sitting pretty at 2-0. That doesn't mean everything they do is correct or smart. 

You throw "bombs", with Fitz we're talking anything over 25 yards to keep the D honest and to help stretch the field.  

I can't even begin to count the number of times we ran the ball and couldnt really crack through and eventually you get through.  Also have to add into the mix the thought that we were winning and I never thought the Colts would come back, they just seemed dead by the second half.  Eat the clock, just dare the Colts to put together a 3rd drive, one that never came

Oh stop. Coach Bowles deserves a little credit as well.

I will not be going this Sunday. Bring us back a w!! And I'll be going to the Redskin game with one of your moderators, and will also be going to the Bills game. Please mark your calendar. Also lets hope the Giants lose Thursday lol those ticket prices for dec 6th will drop like a lead balloon 

I will not be going this Sunday. Bring us back a w!! And I'll be going to the Redskin game with one of your moderators, and will also be going to the Bills game. Please mark your calendar. Also lets hope the Giants lose Thursday lol those ticket prices for dec 6th will drop like a lead balloon 

I think you'll see another w Sunday.  Jets can beat the Eagles.

Well, one should hope that after his most recent game up is in fact the only way he can go. 

Just my opinion,  it wasn't soley Tyrod having a bad game.  The entire offense was off and the d wasn't much better.  It was just a bad game. I just hope we learned from it.

Just my opinion,  it wasn't soley Tyrod having a bad game.  The entire offense was off and the d wasn't much better.  It was just a bad game. I just hope we learned from it.

Hey I watched the game twice and Tyrod didn't have a "bad game".  I actually think that the Bills looked real real good, even a defense that gave up all those yards.  The Pats played great, it is simple as that.  If they don't play at that high level the Bills blow them out of the building.

Also Rex had the team to high, if he had them just a little bit more under control I truly believe that the Bills win that game but I am not quite sure what all the prognosticators are going on about the Bills are a very good team. And one I don't think anyone should be happy to play.

Hey I watched the game twice and Tyrod didn't have a "bad game".  I actually think that the Bills looked real real good, even a defense that gave up all those yards.  The Pats played great, it is simple as that.  If they don't play at that high level the Bills blow them out of the building.

Also Rex had the team to high, if he had them just a little bit more under control I truly believe that the Bills win that game but I am not quite sure what all the prognosticators are going on about the Bills are a very good team. And one I don't think anyone should be happy to play.

Thank you Charlie Brown.  I think we have a pretty good team and I,  for one,  am really pleased with Tyrod.  You're right about the team being too high.  There's was too, too much hype - it was insane at the stadium.  We'll have to see if we can turn it around on Sunday against the Dolphins.  Meanwhile,  I think that the Jets can plan on a 3-0 after they play the colts.

I think you'll see another w Sunday.  Jets can beat the Eagles.

The man just can't help himself.

A day after his Buffalo Bills lost to the New England Patriots – again, the 24th win in 27 career games against Buffalo for Tom Brady and the ninth loss for Ryan in his last 10 games against New England – Ryan was back at the podium, seemingly humbled after he and his team didn't pull off the win they spoke all week of being able to accomplish.

But not so humbled as to avoid taking a jab at the Patriots.

Talking about the need for his team to play with more "controlled emotion" after the Bills were flagged 15 times, Ryan said:

New England was penalized 11 times during its 40-32 win.

Ryan felt that some of the penalties called against his team were borderline, and that referee Ronald Torbert's crew missed some Patriot infractions.

New England was near the top of the NFL with 120 penalties last season, but in 2013 were flagged for just 69, second-fewest in the league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/rex-ryan-still-talking--despite-loss-to-patriots-203016545.html

Oh jeanie, I think your coach will never learn. its all about him.

You throw "bombs", with Fitz we're talking anything over 25 yards to keep the D honest and to help stretch the field.  

I can't even begin to count the number of times we ran the ball and couldnt really crack through and eventually you get through.  Also have to add into the mix the thought that we were winning and I never thought the Colts would come back, they just seemed dead by the second half.  Eat the clock, just dare the Colts to put together a 3rd drive, one that never came

You don't play to eat the clock with a measly 10 point lead (against a top offense) with half a game (or more) left to play. 

Agreed. The PATS are on a mission, its that simple.  Gronk may be unstoppable.