Marcus Williams

BallinPB

How can we get this guy on the field more? I dont think he will replace Cromartie anytime soon but whenever he is on the field he makes plays.

Are we happy with his limited role at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can we get this guy on the field more? I dont think he will replace Cromartie anytime soon but whenever he is on the field he makes plays.

Cro counts $0 dead money towards the cap if cut at the end of the season and makes $7 mill in cap space...so #2 CB spot may be up for grabs between Williams, McDougle, and Milliner heading into 2016 training camp...we shall see; on the other hand, Cro may just restructure because he and his family live in and love NJ for some reason.  Wouldn't be shocked if he;s our #2 CB next year.

Meanwhile, having an extra 5'11 196lbs CB that ran a 4.45, has a 35 inch vertical, benches 320 and squats 450lbs at #4 CB to help match up with Gronk, Clay, and Cameron is always a good thing, IMO.  He's also working behind and learning from Revis, Cro, and Skine...  :)

Cro is on an effective 1-year deal with an option for more if the team chooses, because there's no more guaranteed money after this year, so they can cut him with no penalty.

With the emergence of Marcus Williams, plus Milliner waiting in the wings, Cro's $8 million salary may become expendable and Williams can step in as a starter next year.

No, I'm not happy with his limited play. He's already proven this year that he should be ahead of Cro on the depth chart. Either Cros hip is bothering him again or his play has fallen off a cliff.

Cro hasn't been all bad.  There's been large chunks of time where his name hasn't gone mentioned during the game.  That's a good thing for a CB.  Having said that, Williams has also been very good when he's gotten a chance.

I love Cro but if the best man deserves to be on the field then its certainly Marcus Williams at this point. I can see Cromartie get exposed once we face Brady. Not saying that Marcus Williams cant get exposed but Cromartie has just looked slow this year. His age is catching up to him fast.

Cro hasn't been all bad.  There's been large chunks of time where his name hasn't gone mentioned during the game.  That's a good thing for a CB.  Having said that, Williams has also been very good when he's gotten a chance.

I agree.  QB's will throw in his direction a lot because of Revis and Cro is not a shut down corner.  He is a good CB but he is going to lose some battles every week.  

I agree.  QB's will throw in his direction a lot because of Revis and Cro is not a shut down corner.  He is a good CB but he is going to lose some battles every week.  

I think Cro at this point is more of an average CB. Theres a couple plays where he is way out of position. When he got burned for the touchdown against the Browns and the pass TD where he was 10 yards into the endzone against the Eagles. That isnt good CB play.

Cro counts $0 dead money towards the cap if cut at the end of the season and makes $7 mill in cap space...so #2 CB spot may be up for grabs between Williams, McDougle, and Milliner heading into 2016 training camp...we shall see; on the other hand, Cro may just restructure because he and his family live in and love NJ for some reason.  Wouldn't be shocked if he;s our #2 CB next year.
Meanwhile, having an extra 5'11 196lbs CB that ran a 4.45, has a 35 inch vertical, benches 320 and squats 450lbs at #4 CB to help match up with Gronk, Clay, and Cameron is always a good thing, IMO.  He's also working behind and learning from Revis, Cro, and Skine...  :)

Williams is very instinctual and I also like how us goes about his play based on the defensive scheme on that play. He's a smart football player. 

I think Cro at this point is more of an average CB. Theres a couple plays where he is way out of position. When he got burned for the touchdown against the Browns and the pass TD where he was 10 yards into the endzone against the Eagles. That isnt good CB play.

Cro is an above average corner based on his #2 position. He seems average to us just given how we covet Corners as Jets fans. With that said, Cro is better than most corners at the #2 spot. Marcus Williams is seriously making a case though. 

How does a guy with those numbers go undrafted?  From what I've seen he has #1 talent.

Anyone know is deal?  

Honestly he should replace Cromartie who has not played well at all this season and he still can't tackle to save his life. Williams at this stage is a better corner. Cromartie has always been a corner who could make up for dreadful mistakes with speed now he seems to be giving cushions to WR's and they are taking full advantage of it. I feel Cromartie is the weak link in our secondary and I'm pretty sure he wont be here next year and Williams will move into his corner spot.

Honestly he should replace Cromartie who has not played well at all this season and he still can't tackle to save his life. Williams at this stage is a better corner. Cromartie has always been a corner who could make up for dreadful mistakes with speed now he seems to be giving cushions to WR's and they are taking full advantage of it. I feel Cromartie is the weak link in our secondary and I'm pretty sure he wont be here next year and Williams will move into his corner spot.

Might help a lot against Edelman from the Pat's. Could be a Ray Mickens clone.

Cro s fine . Even by his standards he hasn't given up much out there .. Few plays here and there and I still believe we have the #1 Pass defense after 4 weeks .. Without one Notable Reciever going off on us .. 

Marcus Williams is really solid in a limited role. Is he ready to step up and handle more? I think so, but it won't be at the cost of Cro's playing time. It will have to be an injury, no matter how badly he seems to be playing.

Side note, the faith that people on this thread have in 1.) Milliner coming back healthy. 2.) Him Staying healthy. 3.) Him being an upgrade over any of the other DBs we have. Even when he did play 2 seasons ago he only flashed, nothing consistent. He would be hard pressed to be active when he is eligible to be back.

Make coro the kick returner.  We have the depth and we need a returner. Who cares if he gets hurt at this point. 

I agree with this. When Cro returned kicks for us he was great. Hes certainly better than Stacy and in pretty sure better than Owusu.

Thats it?  Either theyre wrong, not that Scout could ever FU or I'm imagining stuff.  If its true, he sure gets a lot out of his limited time on the field

Yep, I was surprised too.  Seemed like the Jets were running plenty of dime coverage since the Dolphins were trying to throw their way back in the game. 

Yep, I was surprised too.  Seemed like the Jets were running plenty of dime coverage since the Dolphins were trying to throw their way back in the game. 

Crazy, have to check another source.  

As good as he's playing, as much as Bowles likes using corners just seemed odd.  Went back to the list again and Williams is the only corner listed.  Revis, Cro, Dex etc. are MIA.   Somethings off.  Maybe donations are down at Scout

Guys, remember he started for us last year and this preseason and gave up some big plays. I think he's in the perfect role right now coming in for sub packages. He's got play making ability but isn't great in man coverage... Maybe with time learning from Revis, Cro, and Skrine he can eventually develop into a starter but I like the role he's playing right now.  

Guys, remember he started for us last year and this preseason and gave up some big plays. I think he's in the perfect role right now coming in for sub packages. He's got play making ability but isn't great in man coverage... Maybe with time learning from Revis, Cro, and Skrine he can eventually develop into a starter but I like the role he's playing right now.  

I tend to agree.  I'm cool with increasing Williams' snap count, but starting him over Cro?  Not yet.  Cro gives up tons of yardage in his role, partly because QB's have nowhere else to throw it than at him.  Clearly you can't throw at Revis, and Skrine has been basically shutting down whoever he covers.  But what Cro brings to the table is the ability to make a ridiculous play on the ball and return picks for yardage.  I think that's the skillset we can still see out of him, and why Bowles brought him over. 

I tend to agree.  I'm cool with increasing Williams' snap count, but starting him over Cro?  Not yet.  Cro gives up tons of yardage in his role, partly because QB's have nowhere else to throw it than at him.  Clearly you can't throw at Revis, and Skrine has been basically shutting down whoever he covers.  But what Cro brings to the table is the ability to make a ridiculous play on the ball and return picks for yardage.  I think that's the skillset we can still see out of him, and why Bowles brought him over. 

He the typical player fans like.  Limited action, makes a couple of plays and then its dump on whats out there.  No one remembers Williams blown coverages, remember Cros one or two mistakes every game though

No more liked player than a backup

I still like good Cro way better than I dislike bad Cro. Even more, I like the depth that we have in the DB. Don't ever remember this much secondary talent on a Jets team. EVER.

Might help a lot against Edelman from the Pat's. Could be a Ray Mickens clone.

Skrine will be a big part of the Edelman solution.  Revis will have plenty of insight to share I'm sure.  I still think you will see lots of Williams and Gilchrist on Gronk...maybe Milliner at times too.  Rex used to put Cro on Gronk too...I'd love that in the game plan with Williams outside and Skrine on Edelman...,

How does a guy with those numbers go undrafted?  From what I've seen he has #1 talent.

Anyone know is deal?  

Small school so lower end competition and unofficial 40-time are the only reasons I can think of.  I saw some reports saying he ran in the high 4.5's.  He was supposedly limited as a zone defender who lacked top-end speed and had stiff hips.

Sometimes scouts are wrong.  I'd love to get Maccagnan's honest take on Williams since he worked with the team that cut him loose last season.

Archived