Bowles -I will say it

JohnnyLV

Harris' contract is not.  He's due another 15 mill over next 2 years.  Brilliant just brilliant for a LB that cant cover a pot at this stage of his career.  I can see paying a guy for his time but get him off the field on passing downs.

Not quite. It was 2 years $15M total. One of those years will be over at the close of this season. Still hated the contract. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually they have gotten through it quite well. Harris has played well the last couple of years. And very few ills can cover (Keuchly is one of them)

I'm not going to argue with someone who, despite the massive amount spent this offseason, would view a 6-10 season as OK because it's a better record than 4-12. 

Harris has been one of the most overrated Jets for years.

I'm not going to argue with someone who, despite the massive amount spent this offseason, would view a 6-10 season as OK because it's a better record than 4-12. 

Harris has been one of the most overrated Jets for years.

Technically 6-10 would be an improvement, but the expectations were 7-9 or 8-8 preseason. FORGET THE MONEY. It means nothing

Technically 6-10 would be an improvement, but the expectations were 7-9 or 8-8 preseason. FORGET THE MONEY. It means nothing

Again I'm not arguing with someone who doesn't have enough sense to be bothered by a losing season after pissing through massive amounts of cap space we won't soon get back. 

Any smart fan knows the only worthy excuse for such a record is if it's a season spent getting its young players significant reps instead of high-priced veterans who have no long term future here. 

Again I'm not arguing with someone who doesn't have enough sense to be bothered by a losing season after pissing through massive amounts of cap space we won't soon get back. 

Any smart fan knows the only worthy excuse for such a record is if it's a season spent getting its young players significant reps instead of high-priced veterans who have no long term future here. 

8-8 is not a losing season. And if the Jets decided to truly rebuild the fans would rip them apart. Which is why somebody said that Ron Rivera would not have lasted here

Managing early success is a difficult job for any coach, much less a rookie. Look at Bowles and Dan Quinn right now. IMO, the best thing that can happen for this team right now is Fitzpatrick playing himself to the bench and Petty getting the last 4-5 starts to show a little something. Get the 8th or 9th overall pick, draft some speed and another QB, go into the offseason where you can dump some trash holdovers, and start the rebuild in earnest. This nonsense of trying to ride Fitz and Ivory to the 8th seed is a waste of time.

I don't come around much anymore, even as a lurker, but this post really saddens me.  My favorite 'Mercano stronzo has resorted to posting like a run of the mill JAG.  Truly sad.  And, no, I am not taking a shot at you -- I am 100% mother-friggin-serious. The new crop of posters just don't have the smarts to comprehend for your old T0mness, let alone engage in mental jousting.  No capacity for your old, rapier-smart wit so you now have to dumb it down to levels never seen before, like this vanilla post.  This place has died and ugly death.  Ciao, stronzo!

I don't come around much anymore, even as a lurker, but this post really saddens me.  My favorite 'Mercano stronzo has resorted to posting like a run of the mill JAG.  Truly sad.  And, no, I am not taking a shot at you -- I am 100% mother-friggin-serious. The new crop of posters just don't have the smarts to comprehend for your old T0mness, let alone engage in mental jousting.  No capacity for your old, rapier-smart wit so you now have to dumb it down to levels never seen before, like this vanilla post.  This place has died and ugly death.  Ciao, stronzo!

this is why Italians cost the Germans WWII and rolled over for the Moors, stronzo.

Not if the chef is using bad ingredients. Now you could say the same about Rex last year but there was already a prior record for him.

Bowles has not been infallible but he has not made any decisions that have directly led to losing a game. Notice the word directly. You could even argue that some of his moved worked because the Jets got the ball back

Kerley, Decker, and Marshall aren't bad ingredients and if they were it's the chef's job to do something about them.

Fitz can't run the hurry up and is a poor thrower on the run so Chan is limited in what he can do. 

The idea that Chan is somehow holding back Fitz and Geno is absurd!!

This offense with either Fitz or Geno out there is in the top 15 in the league, are we kidding with the complaints????

Bad game calls at times, of course, it is called NFL football not Madden.  But has Chan been holding back the Jets offense....

Come on guys....

Hurry up is one thing, but constantly taking your time, huddling burning 25-30 seconds of the clock on every down is really nonsense. You have to be able to call 2 plays on stoppages and lessen the playbook to fewer plays late in the game. it's not that hard, everyone does it except this guy. Heard it said some coaches watch a lot of tape of plays but don't really watch football games, to understand the flow of a game, to adjust on the fly. Is there anyone that has ever heard Chan Gailey described as a cutting edge savant? me neither. He's an old guy on the way out looking for one last big payday before he takes to Del Boca Vista Phase 2 forever. Simply it was a short-sighted horrible hire which doesn't speak well of anyone involved in the decision to hire him in the first place.  

Getting back to the topic at hand, which is Bowles and the future of the Jets, I'm going over the prospects for next year's draft, and I have no idea who to select.

This qualifies as a quality post these days.  Or is it all about stream of consciousness? It is this type of venereal wart of a poster that will eventually make this once wonderful place whither and die. 

I remember that time well.

Brady absolutely outplayed Bledsoe during training camp and pre-season that year. All the media and fans were pretty much split on who should start the season (like a complete dumbass, I was in the Bledsoe camp).

Like Savage said, at some point during that season, Brady would have been named the starter.

All Mo Lewis did was move up the timetable.

Too bad Brady didn't start sooner. Maybe Mo Lewis would have killed him.

Bowles is a first time first year HC and the growing pains are glaring, but I would not pull the plug on him just yet. I do agree that he seems to have a "bias" against Jeremy Kerley, who can at least catch the ball versus Devin Smith who looks like he really doesn't care and has a Geno Smith attitude. What distresses me is when the defense doesn't tackle...that is a direct indictment of the HC, who comes from a defensive background. Chan Gailey makes adjustments very slowly in a fast paced game. He continued to dial up long passes to Smith when it was clear the Jets couldn't block Watt. When he started calling dumpoffs to Powell the offense began clicking. Also, he failed to get Decker even a target in the first half. It's true that coaches don't block, tackle, or catch passes but when those who do fail to do their job, they need to see bench time and he (Bowles) doesn't do it. I would love to see Marshall yanked out of a game when he has another careless drop.

?

I take it you had some trouble with the quoting system and this changing of my post wasn't really a reply to me (the software is glitchy if you quote someone and then decide against that reply; still makes you quote that post later unless you clear your cookies, or until you finally do post a reply to that quote).

I didn't read this exchange. I am trying to enjoy a weekend away with family for Thanksgiving. We weren't able to celebrate yesterday, so that is happening today.

All that said, you two need to put each other on ignore. We aren't going to worry about who started it, threatening PMs aside. Just ignore each other.

If Marshall and Smith hold on to those passes, what is Fitz looking at?  Another 150ish yds and at least one more TD?  All that while under heavy pressure from JJ Watt.  Fitz wasn't great on Sunday by any stretch, but he was far from the team's biggest issue.

I agree. Marshall brings very little concentration to the football field and is ALWAYS good for at least one bad drop. Smith has no confidence and needs to be benched in favor of Kerley. Decker has fewer drops but Gailey seems to forget about him in the game plan throwing deep balls to Smith who makes little effort to actually catch the ball. Looks a lot like Stephen Hill to me.

I agree. Marshall brings very little concentration to the football field and is ALWAYS good for at least one bad drop. Smith has no confidence and needs to be benched in favor of Kerley. Decker has fewer drops but Gailey seems to forget about him in the game plan throwing deep balls to Smith who makes little effort to actually catch the ball. Looks a lot like Stephen Hill to me.

Smith is going to be on the roster next year and it's sure looking like Kerley won't be. So with 1 more loss we should - and probably will - continue to play Smith and keep Kerley benched until/unless we're breaking in Petty, who will need Kerley's reliable hands more than Smith's speed. Last thing he needs is time on the sideline to sulk about missed-opportunity passes he dropped weeks earlier. Get back on the horse.

Smith is going to be on the roster next year and it's sure looking like Kerley won't be. So with 1 more loss we should - and probably will - continue to play Smith and keep Kerley benched until/unless we're breaking in Petty, who will need Kerley's reliable hands more than Smith's speed. Last thing he needs is time on the sideline to sulk about missed-opportunity passes he dropped weeks earlier. Get back on the horse.

What concerns me about Smith is that after his horrendous decision/fumble against Buffalo, he would have been really motivated to do well.  But instead we saw him drop easy balls and an "in stride" TD last week.  Just a gut feeling, but I think Smith is going to tank.

Just like Marino ruined it for all QBs who take time to mature, Beckham has ruined it for WRs in the same situation.  A lot of WRs don't get it the first year, until Beckham fans just accepted it.  No more.  They want the player to be good from his first game.

What concerns me about Smith is that after his horrendous decision/fumble against Buffalo, he would have been really motivated to do well.  But instead we saw him drop easy balls and an "in stride" TD last week.  Just a gut feeling, but I think Smith is going to tank.

Players aren't destined to suck because they had 2 bad games in a row as rookies who are rotated onto & off the field. Especially with drops, lots of times it's nerves/jitters where he's thinking too much about too many things, causing lapses in concentration because he can't consciously think about 4 things at once while trying to juke a defender. Eventually it will come. How much further it comes depends upon the individual, but as each thing becomes more routine it becomes one less thing to consciously think about in real-time and he can just focus on #1: catching & pulling in the arriving football (and then 2nd, where his feet are, if that's a factor).

Archived