A reactionary pick from a Front Office that thinks there very close to Playoffs/Superbowl.

Shockwave

I Personally see a team one year removed from 4-12 and having the oldest roster in the NFL with many overpaid players on the wrong side of 30. Thats not what our Front office see's. 

When new general managers come in they usually have this vision of building a roster from the ground up. You see Cleveland grabbing extra picks. The same for Tennessee and others. Building their lines. Going out and grabbing a Franchise QB and then protecting/getting him weapons. 

Thats not what happened here. Since day 1 we have acquired every possible player, traded draft picks and spent every dollar imaginable. This offseason they went out there and picked up older players as backups and role players - Moves you see mostly contenders do. 

The Jets have been so reactionary every year - Not capable of looking forward and building. In pittsburgh our kicker sucked in a playoff game so we ruined an entire draft by getting Mike Nungent. Then we had terrible CB's one year and forced Kyle Wilson the following draft. Revis left and we forced the Milliner selection. Now after a season of watching teams throw often to their RB's on us we go and force a pick on Daron Lee. 

For those that don't follow the draft Daron Lee is a guy that likely played at 210-220 tops and probably gained some weight for the combine. He's not good enough at covering to be a cornerback and he will likely never be big enough to be a every down player against 300-350 pound Lineman. Also that 4.47 speed is really nothing special for his weight. So then what did we draft him for? He was specifically drafted to cover RB's out of the backfield. You know Darren Sproles in the Philly game? The Patriots games? He was brought here specifically to be a role player. He's obviously not big enough to cover Tight ends or rush the passer at 220. 

So who drafts role players? Teams that think there are VERY close to a championship. That is what this team thinks right now. Teams that think they are VERY close to a championship also are willing to spend 15m on one year of a Franchise player like Mo. They are the team that trades away draft picks - Not acquiring them. A team that couldn't care less about comp picks because they are not significant anyway right?

Is this a good thing? Possibly depending how you look at it. Who wouldn't want to try to get into the playoffs every single year. Especially now with Brady out for 4 games. With a team this old is there any other option? This could absolutely work out - So I don't mean to knock it. Just need to point this out. We are not playing for next year. We are not building for the future. This team is being built with one goal.....Win it all this year. 

And If we don't win the next year or two? We will simply have a new GM in here to "Rebuild". While this thought process is rare with new Gm's it absolutely might turn out to be a good thing. Lets wait and see. 

I have said it before and Ill say it again. The coaching tree here all along is Bill Parcells and Bruce Arians. Veteran QB's - Veteran Teams - You play every year to win for better or worse. The question will be can we find our Vinny? Can we find our Carson Palmer? The Jets need alot of help to be the Cardinals or any of Parcells old teams. 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop! He is a rookie that will be eased into being a 3 down back. Remember..we don't need a 4 down back. 4th down is for special teamers. We didn't pick top 5 or 10 where guys are meant to start right away. This is a good pick that will help us now and in the future.

1 minute ago, Shockwave said:

He's obviously not big enough to cover Tight ends or rush the passer at 220.

Since when is there a weight requirement to pass cover TEs?  I think covering TEs will be a strength of his.  He won't excel banging pads between the tackles, but that kind of player isn't really necessary to win in the modern NFL, especially when you have a strong d-line.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A reactionary pick from a coach whose defense was ritually embarrassed by Tyrod Taylor and Shady McCoy beating Calvin Pace to the corner.

Yup - They said it after the season. Pretty much predicted this pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see another pick very similar to this in the next few rounds as that was there main goal this offseason even if its just situational guys. 

2 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Jack or Lynch or one of the three WRs taken after our pick would all have been preferable in my opinion. This is a meh pick. Boo. 

Sorry if the pick wasn't sexy enough for you but he was the best player on the board at a position of need.   

Just now, Shockwave said:

Honestly they said it after the season. I wouldn't be surprised if we select another LB with the same mold. 

It's fun having small LBers when your offense is killing people, like Seattle and Arizona. When your offense is average, those small LBs get crushed, hurt, and then everyone gets fired.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Sorry if the pick wasn't sexy enough for you but he was the best player on the board at a position of need.   

How come the best player on our board is never offense ? 

So now we have what, 7 #1 picks on defense to go along with no OL, no QB, and over 30 RB, Marshall and Decker.  If our playoff window wasn't shut with this roster, it's definitely gonna be shut when Geno/Hoyer or whoever is left has us sitting at 0-6 next year.

passing league, rules made to help offense, and we are afraid to select an offensive player EVER.  Hell even Baltimore and Seattle have come around.

its sad because Rex peaked in his second season and I honestly believe Bowles peaked in his first.  

Personally, I'd have preferred Treadwell, but holy hell you hens are annoying when you get to clucking. Lee's pSPARQ was 92nd percentile with a 1.4 z-score. This is precisely the pick that makes you all drop to your knees and open wide when Pete Carroll makes it.

Just now, RoadFan said:

I understand the thinking behind a speed LBer. 

But I don't necessarily see a successful edge rusher in Lee and does anyone think he is going to cover Edelman on a drag route or Dion Lewis on a wheel?

as far as fast, sideline-to-sideline LBs go, 1 is better than 0

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It's fun having small LBers when your offense is killing people, like Seattle and Arizona. When your offense is average, those small LBs get crushed, hurt, and then everyone gets fired.

Agree - This ride is either going to end with Playoff birth or our Front office being on the Hot seat after the season. There's no middle ground. 

Very interesting strategy from our team. That whole conventional get draft picks and build your team around a young QB/Young players is completely out the window. Bowles is certainly a-lot bigger voice then anyone thought. This isn't how the texans did things. This is how Parcells/Arians does it. 

4 minutes ago, Jolot said:

How come the best player on our board is never offense ? 

How many Drafts has Macc Had?  Why is he responsible for what took place before he got here?  Last year Leonard Williams fell into our lap; this year Darron Lee was the best player on the board at a position of great need.  

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Personally, I'd have preferred Treadwell, but holy hell you hens are annoying when you get to clucking. Lee's pSPARQ was 92nd percentile with a 1.4 z-score. This is precisely the pick that makes you all drop to your knees and open wide when Pete Carroll makes it.

MY JAW UNHINGES FOR NO MAN SIR.

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

But I don't necessarily see a successful edge rusher in Lee and does anyone think he is going to cover Edelman on a drag route or Dion Lewis on a wheel?

He will do as better job as anyone on the roster.  He will not only be successful blitzing off the edge but also up the middle; this guy is a true all around player.  I really didn't think he would make it to 20. 

11 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Don't hate the pick. And sexy has nothing to do with it.  He's a big safety who played well at the college level but will be beaten to a pulp at the pro level in my opinion. These tweener  sized guys are often overwhelmed in the NFL. Maybin comes to mind. 

Look, Lee seems like a nice kid and his numbers look swell. Great. Yippee. The point is, we drafted more defense. More. Defense. Over the past 10 drafts, the Jets have had 11 first round picks. 10, yes, 10, have been used on defense. That's the point. Our offense is old and it has no blue chip prospects at any position coming up to replace the guys that aren't going to be here after next season. That's bad. Really, really bad. OLB is a need, sure, but the entire other side of the ball needs players. The defense is in a totally different stratosphere when it comes to that aspect.

Think about that. 10 out of 11 picks, defense. In an offensive era to boot. Enough already with this.

8 minutes ago, Pcola said:

So now we have what, 7 #1 picks on defense to go along with no OL, no QB, and over 30 RB, Marshall and Decker.  If our playoff window wasn't shut with this roster, it's definitely gonna be shut when Geno/Hoyer or whoever is left has us sitting at 0-6 next year.

passing league, rules made to help offense, and we are afraid to select an offensive player EVER.  Hell even Baltimore and Seattle have come around.

its sad because Rex peaked in his second season and I honestly believe Bowles peaked in his first.  

maxresdefault.jpg

The Jets have (HAD) a major hole at linebacker and overall defensive speed. Darron Lee fills that need. He can come in and be our Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, or Deone Buccanon... That sounds reactionary to you?

How many times did we get beat by a running back embarrassing a linebacker? I can think of 2 games where that was a huge factor in us losing (Philly and first Buffalo game). This pick has been highly graded almost across the board.

1 minute ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Don't hate the pick. And sexy has nothing to do with it.  He's a big safety who played well at the college level but will be beaten to a pulp at the pro level in my opinion. These tweener  sized guys are often overwhelmed in the NFL. Maybin comes to mind. 

Whatever. I am done trying to convince you are anyone else he is nothing like Maybin.  We will revisit this conversation during the season. 

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

This would be inaccurate according to just about every GM/Scout/personal guy regarding the draft. Lee was a huge reach and no where close to the best player available on ANYONES board BUT the jets. You can check anyones board including former GM's and draft guys. 

This could be a great pick - but it was a need pick specific to this team. This was done because we didn't have the cash to sign speedy LB's this offseason because of the contracts handed out last year. 

2 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

This would be inaccurate according to just about every GM/Scout/personal guy regarding the draft. Lee was a huge reach and no where close to the best player available on ANYONES board BUT the jets. You can check anyones board including former GM's and draft guys. 

This could be a great pick - but it was a need pick specific to this team. This was done because we didn't have the cash to sign speedy LB's this offseason because of the contracts handed out last year. 

He was not a reach and there is NO CREDIBLE EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THAT HE WAS. He was the 20th pick not the 2nd.  But no point in trying to convince you since you have already made up your mind that he was.   This WAS a great pick and you will come to that realization at some point during the year. 

Report:

Lee had an excellent showing at the Combine, testing at or near the top in the 40 (4.47 seconds), vertical (35 1/2 inches), broad jump (11-1), three-cone (7.12 seconds) and 20-yard shuttle (4.20 seconds). The athletic, rangy Lee is versatile enough to drop back into coverage, attack ball carriers or blitz the QB. He may be considered a bit undersized, but he has the instincts and the tools to be a solid pro.

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Whatever. I am done trying to convince you are anyone else he is nothing like Maybin.  We will revisit this conversation during the season. 

He may be a steal. He's got the frame to build on. There's no way to know what any of these kids will be in three years. I'm hopeful the kid bulks a bit and becomes an absolute animal. I just didn't love the pick considering the other options available. Nothing personal 

13 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Dion.  That's actually the first thing I thought.

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Look, Lee seems like a nice kid and his numbers look swell. Great. Yippee. The point is, we drafted more defense. More. Defense. Over the past 10 drafts, the Jets have had 11 first round picks. 10, yes, 10, have been used on defense. That's the point. Our offense is old and it has no blue chip prospects at any position coming up to replace the guys that aren't going to be here after next season. That's bad. Really, really bad. OLB is a need, sure, but the entire other side of the ball needs players. The defense is in a totally different stratosphere when it comes to that aspect.

Think about that. 10 out of 11 picks, defense. In an offensive era to boot. Enough already with this.

So your saying we should do something about our current set up of Geno (Last year of deal and sucks) being protected by Clady (Old/short deal) throwing to Marshall (32)? Besides Hackenberg they didn't even really look at a-lot of offensive guys with their visits. 

In our Front offices minds as outlined in this thread we are playing to win the Super Bowl this year. We will trade draft picks. We will sign the jarvis Jenkins of the world. We will spend every dollar of our cap. We will simply Franchise Mo and play it year to year. Its not conventional thinking for sure but its what there doing. 

Btw - Daron Lee isn't an OLB. That boy is not bending around the edge. As Bowles said hell be an ILB that covers RB's and some slot WR's. He'll Blitz occasionally when you think hes covering a WR/RB from the slot. Hell play QB contain. He's a situational speed guy. 

If we wanted an OLB to bend the edge and get the QB we would have drafted Noah Spence. 

Archived