Grade the Pick: Darron Lee

Sarge4Tide

Draft Grade  

141 members have voted

1. 1. I would give the Darron Lee pick a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Lynch was the pick he was standing there waiting for us-not that I am saying lynch will be marino but I had the same feeling watch the jets pass on him

Elway is a genius and got the best qb in the draft and this is the PERFECT spot for Lynch

true.. but, he's at least 2 seasons away from being a good NFL qb   B)

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

Why are so many of our fans so doom and gloom. They are never happy. As for Bowles not naming him a starter and saying he is behind Henderson that's the way you do things in the NFL, You win a job on the field. And you don't disrespect your returning veterans. Bowles knows how things fly in the NFL. He was a player fighting for a job during his career, too.

22 minutes ago, kmnj said:

a D and being generous

He will be this years D Millner or last years D Smith

Elway showed once again why he is a genius -he knows more about qbs than anybody  and has a ring as a gm-there is not way you can convince me otherwise that we should have not taken Lynch

Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Tom Brady and Troy Aikman knows more about QB's. John Albert Elway Jr. is, at best, the 5th best evaluator of QB-talent.

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State A Grade
The Jets picked Leonard Williams last year, proving that they'll draft the best player available, even if they don't have a need at the position. This year, the Jets have selected perhaps the best player available - and one who actually fills a need. The Jets have had a hole at inside linebacker for a very long time. Darron Lee, who could've gone as high as No. 14, figures to change that. Lee is very athletic and has a ton of upside. He projects as a great fit in Todd Bowles' defense

From WalterFootball

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Why are so many of our fans so doom and gloom. They are never happy. As for Bowles not naming him a starter and saying he is behind Henderson that's the way you do things in the NFL, You win a job on the field. And you don't disrespect your returning veterans. Bowles knows how things fly in the NFL. He was a player fighting for a job during his career, too.

If he isn't starting next year we are morons of the highest sort.  3rd, 4th, 7th , udfa fight for jobs, your 1st rounder starts unless he is a QB.

13 minutes ago, CPH said:

Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Tom Brady and Troy Aikman knows more about QB's. John Albert Elway Jr. is, at best, the 5th best evaluator of QB-talent.

yes how many rings did they win as a gm?

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A or B for the player I guess, but a big fat F for the pick. This front office gives zero ****s about the long game. This is not what the team needed and this offseason has done nothing but served to dig us deeper into the hole that we're going to be in at the end of 2017.

Look at this ******* roster. Jesus. Like 5-6 players that you can say are here for the long haul and not one of them is a blue chipper on the offensive side. Some seriously dark days ahead.

Disagree 100%. A for the pick, TBD for the player. So glad we didn't reach for Lynch or the 5th rated LT or a mediocre WR.

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

because we have not won since 1969 and many times the fans see a great opportunity pass the jets by

I was at the drafts where the jets took kyle brady over warren sapp and passed on marino -perfect examples of fans screaming for who turned out to be the smart choices

I love the bmsarsh pick up, I loved the forte pick up-our gm has made some solid moves-I HATE this draft pick, I HATED the d smith pick last year

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If he isn't starting next year we are morons of the highest sort.  3rd, 4th, 7th , udfa fight for jobs, your 1st rounder starts unless he is a QB.

Look Mike Devito who just retired was a UFA and a lot better player than some high draft picks. He had a good career and was a starter on two teams. So you take whatever you can get. If a walk on is the better player you start them. We're not morons if this guy underachieves. A lot of this is on the player. Lee will get good coaching here and great facilities. Even if he isn't an elite player and just a contributor. But he has a chance to be a good player. 

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look Mike Devito who just retired was a UFA and a lot better player than some high draft picks. He had a good career and was a starter on two teams. So you take whatever you can get. If a walk on is the better player you start them. We're not morons if this guy underachieves. A lot of this is on the player. Lee will get good coaching here and great facilities. Even if he isn't an elite player and just a contributor. But he has a chance to be a good player. 

Hello, it is the gms job to get the right guys so yes it is 100% on the gm and scouts if the guy underachieves.  A 1st round pick at 20 when you pass up on a Qb prospect and at least two good Wr prospects better be more than an average player that sticks around for a few years. 

Hey he could end up being great and the pick may end up being looked at as shrewd a few years down the road, but if it is a fail it is on the GM and scouts and it will affect the coach.

42 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the bolded is funny

I also like the fact that because there was lots of great talent on the board as you put it and we took this guy that he must be just amazing

we passed on Lynch -the broncos run by a hall of fame qb and just won a ring as gm traded up for LYNCH the guy we should have taken

Lynch sucks.  Will be horrible.

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

Gave it a B+. He will be a good player for us in a position of need. After watching some tape on him he does not pop off the screen like you would hope but this was the 20th selection in the draft.

Imagine if myles jack drops to our second round pick, Lee and Jack as our ilb's would be an amazing tandem

"After watching some tape on him he does not pop off the screen like you would hope but this was the 20th selection in the draft."

You're probably right. But as some others have said, this guy is a true football player. He's versatile and he is a playmaker. He flies all over the field and is always around the ball. He is a fast and a good enough athlete to be successful in the NFL. I don't nec. think he is too small, he just needs to get stronger. 

39 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

No pick is better than wasting a 1st round pick on a shrimp LB.

He's built like Jamie Collins. Collins is about 10 -15 pounds heavier and about an inch taller.  That makes Collin's frame even more thin than Lee's.

So just shut up and stop being a mosquito.  This is a real pussy-esque troll post by you.  

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A 1st round pick at 20 when you pass up on a Qb prospect and at least two good Wr prospects better be more than an average player that sticks around for a few years. 

Pretty much this. And if Lynch has a successful career it doesn't matter how good Lee is, the pick is a failure.

Just watching some bs youtube cut up of Lee.  I think it should be noted he's definitely not an inside lb.  He's like the new age Sam/Strong Safety.  Aligning over #2, alley run support/getting under #1 on pass, coming off the edge.  Sort of a jack of all trades master of none position.  Difficult for WR's to block but he'd be lost on the inside, and too small to align on a TE.  Athletically he can definitely run.  From what I can tell, it looks like OSU runs a field front.  He triggers pretty quickly on outside run which i like.

check it out for yourselves: 

25 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Disagree 100%. A for the pick, TBD for the player. So glad we didn't reach for Lynch or the 5th rated LT or a mediocre WR.

agree on Lynch and the #5 rated OT (I would have taken Decker or Conklin had they been there). Disagree on the WRs.  I wanted Coleman, Doctsun or Treadwell ahead of Lee.  Coleman was the 1st WR off the board, a surprise to some, but I thought he was the best of them, But Doctsun and Treadwell went right after us.  Would rather had one of them.  No way are they "mediocre" as you claim. 

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hello, it is the gms job to get the right guys so yes it is 100% on the gm and scouts if the guy underachieves.  A 1st round pick at 20 when you pass up on a Qb prospect and at least two good Wr prospects better be more than an average player that sticks around for a few years. 

Hey he could end up being great and the pick may end up being looked at as shrewd a few years down the road, but if it is a fail it is on the GM and scouts and it will affect the coach.

The percentage of 1st round and high draft picks who have only average or even below average careers is fairly high. All teams fan on draft picks as well as hit home runs. The Texans aren't brilliant but they're the team who selected JJ Watt. They've had plenty of misses too maybe even Clowney who could be their biggest miss of all.

49 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the bolded is funny

I also like the fact that because there was lots of great talent on the board as you put it and we took this guy that he must be just amazing

we passed on Lynch -the broncos run by a hall of fame qb and just won a ring as gm traded up for LYNCH the guy we should have taken

Funny haha?

#1- Truth is A LOT of LBs coming out of college need to work on their tackling. And Lee DOES need to CONTINUE to develop his coverage and pass rush skills. But at least he has the potential to be great at coverage AND as a blitzer. Some LBs will simply never be fast or athletic enough to be able to cover in the NFL or make an impact blitzing the QB. Some LBs are purely 'thumpers' and great vs the run but don't have the versatility that Lee does.

#2- My point RE other players being n the board was that the Jets did not reach. They took the guy that was highest on THEIR board. They obviously saw something in him that made them value him more than any other player available at 20. And with the talent still on the board, that's saying something. And why not, Lee is arguably one of the best athletes in the draft. 

#3- Just b/c the Broncos took Lynch doesn't make him a great NFL QB. Not by a long shot. Elway being a HOF QB doesn't make Lynch a great NFL QB. Him winning a ring doesn't make Lynch a great QB. Everybo knows what they are getting from Lynch. Everybody knows he is a project with great upside. Fact is, Mac looked VERY closely at QBs in this draft and he's known for his scouting prowess. Lynch is a big gamble, and OBVIOUSLY Mac felt like it was too much of a gamble. Lynch has great upside, so he could very well be the next Big Ben. But there's a ton of QBs that were raw with immense upside that didn't do SQUAT in the NFL. 

#4- I don't know if you watch football but the Broncos won with a veteran QB- THAT THEY SIGNED IN FA. Not a young QB Elway drafted. AND THEY WON WITH DEFENSE YOU KNUCKLEHEAD.    

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The percentage of 1st round and high draft picks who have only average or even below average careers is fairly high. All teams fan on draft picks as well as hit home runs. The Texans aren't brilliant but they're the team who selected JJ Watt. They've had plenty of misses too maybe even Clowney who could be their biggest miss of all.

The #1 thing that keeps a GM employed or not is success in the draft.  Look at John Idzik, imo he did almost everything right  plan wise but he utterly failed in the draft, thus he is no longer here.  It will be the same with Mac, he is a guy from a scouting background so he better draft really well.  If he misses on early round picks he better find gems in the later rounds or he will be gone in 3 years or so.

He's built like Jamie Collins. Collins is about 10 -15 pounds heavier and about an inch taller.  That makes Collin's frame even more thin than Lee's.

So just shut up and stop being a mosquito.  This is a real pussy-esque troll post by you.  

Collins is 6'3" 252lbs and an All-Pro LB.

He's not a shrimp.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

He's not a shrimp.

No, he's not built like Collins. And he isn't the biggest LB. In fact, he probably projects to be a LB/S hybrid in the NFL. But that only means he is incredibly versatile. And e's a play-maker. He flies all over the field and gets involved in every play. He's just better when playing in space rather than close to the line where is is bound to immediately get mauled by an OG. Regardless of weight, he needs to get stronger, which I'm sure he will in the NFL.

Writing him off as a 'shrimp LB' without any kind of analysis is completely moronic and I'm sure YOU would agree is troll-ish.   

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwell, Paxton Lynch.  There ya go.  Two years from now we'll see how each of those players are viewed compared to Lee.

You're too smart for that. Let's see at least the first three picks and then judge whether Mac played his hand right. Lee is good value at #20 and a scheme fit. In isolation it's a perfectly solid pick that makes sense. I want to see where the Jets go from here. Paxton Lynch is project that may reap rewards or a journeyman backup, but it won't be soon. I do think the Jets need to consider a WR somewhere in the draft as well as a QB prospect. I'm not heartbroken that it's not Lynch.

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The #1 thing that keeps a GM employed or not is success in the draft.  Look at John Idzik, imo he did almost everything right  plan wise but he utterly failed in the draft, thus he is no longer here.  It will be the same with Mac, he is a guy from a scouting background so he better draft really well.  If he misses on early round picks he better find gems in the later rounds or he will be gone in 3 years or so.

I don't think Mac's draft last year was awesome, it was ok. And Idzik's drafts to me don't give him enough credit for legit home runs like Sheldon and maybe even Pryor. He gets killed for whiffing on a few 4th rounders. If you have 12 picks you can't hit on all of them, and his trade of Revis was a good trade. A lot better move than signing Revis to a 39 mil guaranteed deal. And that deal is killing us.

22 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

He's not a shrimp.

proportionally, that is the same build or thinner even, than Lee.  Collins is listed on some places as 6'2" BTW.  

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Except for free agency, the draft, and a few other unimportant things.

23 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You're too smart for that. Let's see at least the first three picks and then judge whether Mac played his hand right. Lee is good value at #20 and a scheme fit. In isolation it's a perfectly solid pick that makes sense. I want to see where the Jets go from here. Paxton Lynch is project that may reap rewards or a journeyman backup, but it won't be soon. I do think the Jets need to consider a WR somewhere in the draft as well as a QB prospect. I'm not heartbroken that it's not Lynch.

Maybe this is why the NY Jets have not had a competent staring Qb for ever.  We will have to agree to disagree about Lee, I don't think he is good value at 20 at all.

Archived