Scouting Report: Christian Hackenberg

johnnyjet

My plan is very simple.  I want Bryce and Christian learning from a cerebral pro who,has fun playing the game but has a solid work ethic.  Not a clown who forgets to set his watch and gets punched out over $600.00

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, St Louie Jet Fan said:

sign me up for that.

how much does cutting geno save?

Only $1.6M.  So if he does get cut, it probably won't be until the last possible moment.  Gotta at least put out feelers to see if any team would give us a 7th rounder for him.

Looking at this upcoming schedule in 2016 does anyone really believe that Fitz could win more games than Geno? Last years schedule was probably one of the easiest I can remember. I know I'm going to get killed for this but I think Macc actually believes Geno will have just as much chance for success as Fitz and maybe more with his youth and athleticism.

Word out of last years camp was that Geno was way ahead of Fitz. As fans we always look at things through the eye of a needle but the coaches see a lot more than we do. I know I'm in the minority but with Petty not ready, Hack just brought in I'd love to see what Geno could do in Gaileys offense with Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Amaro, Forte & Powell. Please don't bring up the Oakland game, the entire team was a no show, especially the defense. The Jets offense struggled when Powell was out in every game this year including the final. Was he available in Oakland? I don't remember. Geno got a whole HUMBLING year to see what it takes to be a successful QB and teammate in the NFL. 

He actually scrambled very well playing with much lesser players so it would be much tougher for defenses to squeeze the box on him. He throws a pretty seam pass and he's also much stronger on out throws than Fitz which could open the field more. So bring it on, my opinion is that Fitz shot his load last year vs inferior defenses, and we'll have just as much success this year with Geno as we would with Fitz but we end up keeping Mo and fielding a real kick azz defense ourselves, top 3 in the league. 

If Fitz does come back it's with his tail between his legs for short money because Macc feels the same way I do.

1 hour ago, johnnyjet said:

My plan is very simple.  I want Bryce and Christian learning from a cerebral pro who,has fun playing the game but has a solid work ethic.  Not a clown who forgets to set his watch and gets punched out over $600.00

DUMB cutting Geno gives you $1 million the greedy journeyman bastard that has never made the playoffs isn't worth nowhere near what he's asking.

Retire Ryan Fitzpatrick the Jets and the NFL won't miss you.

4 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

What if geno pulled a flacco? What would we do with him then? 

If by "pulled a flacco" you mean "throw 11 TD's and 0 INT's in a postseason run to the Lombardi" then we sign him to a lifetime contract.  But after such a suggestion the more important questions to you are "What are you smoking?" and "Can I have some?"

4 minutes ago, pointman said:

I don't want our young, impressionable QBs learning anything from Ryan. He had ONE good season, and hasn't won a damn thing. Mediocre at BEST, closer to a turd.

Things young QB's could learn from Fitz:

1) How to play the position like a professional.

2) How to run when needed and pick up first downs as a result.

3) The level of toughness needed for the position.

4) How to lead a huddle and make your teammates believe in you.

Things young QB's could learn from Geno:

1) How to get your face punched in from a teammate over $600.

2) How not to tell time.

3) How to be a turnover machine.

4) How to sulk on the sidelines and avoid your teammates after yet another turnover.

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I know I'm going to get killed for this but I think Macc actually believes Geno will have just as much chance for success as Fitz and maybe more with his youth and athleticism.

Then why are we still wanting to get Ryan back, even after signing a QB in the 2nd? I'm not arguing, I hope you're right. I'm done with Ryan.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If by "pulled a flacco" you mean "throw 11 TD's and 0 INT's in a postseason run to the Lombardi" then we sign him to a lifetime contract.  But after such a suggestion the more important questions to you are "What are you smoking?" and "Can I have some?"

Yeah pulling an elite how flacco moment. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2) How not to tell time.

4) How to sulk on the sidelines and avoid your teammates after yet another turnover.

What does Ryan exhibit that exemplifies playing the position like a professional? Before last season was he ever anything? Maybe he was a hair of something when he signed that big rip off job in Buffalo. Toughness I won't argue. 

Geno is garbage. I hope they punch each other in the face and we get ourselves someone else or let Hackenberg and Petty take turns stinking up the joint.

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

Clarify what you mean because Flacco >>> Geno and Fitz combined.

Pulling an elite flacco by barely getting us in the playoffs with a hard schedule, then going on an unbelievable run and thrashing teams winning us the super bowl.

but the real question is do we sign him to 20 mil a year that will hurt the team.

11 minutes ago, pointman said:

What does Ryan exhibit that exemplifies playing the position like a professional? Before last season was he ever anything? Maybe he was a hair of something when he signed that big rip off job in Buffalo. Toughness I won't argue. 

Has there ever been a hint of trouble caused by Fitz?  Any rifts with coaches or players?  Has not everyone around him liked playing with him and for him?  Haven't WR's like Kendall Wright, Stevie Johnson, and of course Brandon Marshall had upper level seasons playing with him?  Has he not put his body on the line, setting an example for others?  Has he not always had a positive attitude?  Has he not been hanging out with his teammates the last few weeks even when he remains unsigned by the team?  Does he not always seem to be prepared to do his job, and does so with confidence?

These are signs that he plays the position like a pro.  His W-L record has been discussed ad nauseum.  That isn't something that defines him as a player.  By and large, the guy has done his job over the course of his career.  He lacks the physical talent of elite QB's, and also takes a lot of risks on the field.  These are well defined weaknesses of his.  But you cannot ever deny that he plays like a pro.  That is a ludicrous argument to try to make.

20 minutes ago, pointman said:

Geno is garbage. I hope they punch each other in the face and we get ourselves someone else or let Hackenberg and Petty take turns stinking up the joint.

What could the Patriots learn from bill Belichick, the guy never even played a down in the NFL......

In your world, only guys like Peyton Manning and Brady could be successful QB coaches and O Coordinators. 

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Only $1.6M.  So if he does get cut, it probably won't be until the last possible moment.  Gotta at least put out feelers to see if any team would give us a 7th rounder for him.

if we offered to pay a team to take him we might get turned down.

2 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

that is very likely to happen, just be patient.

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2) How not to tell time.

Thank you for coming folks this discussion is now over.

The thing is you have to keep them both. End of story. Unless you want to lose in 2016 with either a rookie Qb starting (which didn't work with Mark or with Geno) or a journeyman like Glennon who doesn't know our offense and would have to start from square one. I'm not in love with Fitz but it's obvious he gives us our best chance to win in 2016. We have to go for it this season because we have the horses now and who knows what the future will bring. And he's not a greedy bastard. Revis is. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

The thing is you have to keep them both. End of story. Unless you want to lose in 2016 with either a rookie Qb starting (which didn't work with Mark or with Geno) or a journeyman like Glennon who doesn't know our offense and would have to start from square one. I'm not in love with Fitz but it's obvious he gives us our best chance to win in 2016. We have to go for it this season because we have the horses this season and who knows what the future will bring. And he's not a greedy bastard. Revis is. 

Many teams only carry 2 QB's.  We're not carrying 4.  Who are you cutting to make room for Geno Smith? 

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What could the Patriots learn from bill Belichick, the guy never even played a down in the NFL......

In your world, only guys like Peyton Manning and Brady could be successful QB coaches and O Coordinators. 

Right, because players and coaches are the same.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Many teams only carry 2 QB's.  We're not carrying 4.  Who are you cutting to make room for Geno Smith? 

You suit up two and then you have another who doesn't dress but is on the active roster. But the Jets actually carried 4 a few years ago on their active roster for several games. So to me Petty is the odd man out. The will probably IR him and find an injury. Or cut him and if unclaimed put him on the PS. 

14 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Geno is a schmuck, Geno is stupid and Geno can't play QB in the NFL as he has exhibited numerous times. No young QB should be around this guy

Say it brother.  like every other season my first hope for the Jets is that they go as far as they can, to an SB and a win.  But some hopes are more particular to the current situation.  That hope now is that we never have to see Smith take another snap in a game that counts ever again.

If it were me I'd cut him yesterday.

38 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

NO. Tell Fitz to take a hike, let the 3 guys compete for starting position. Sign some other vet QB if Hackenberg needs it and carry 4 QBs for 2016.. 

Thanks for coming up with the scenarios that absolutely will not happen.  try not to be too disappointed.

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

Right, because players and coaches are the same.

I guess my analogy went right over your head.  Just because  fitz hasn't been a great qb in this league doesn't mean he isn't a very smart  qb that would make him a better mentor to Hackenberg.  

Most of the great  qb coaches weren't great nfl qbs. 

Do you still not get it? 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Looking at this upcoming schedule in 2016 does anyone really believe that Fitz could win more games than Geno?

Absolutely I believe that.  Without any doubt in my mind.

Fitz is an somewhat average, but reliable, smart and savy veteran, a mentor and leader QB, who limits turnovers (enough), inspires his teammates to be better, and is productive enough to win games.  He will not win many games on his own, his is not a franchise QB, but we don't need him to be to be competative in 2016, or to mentor our young QB's in Hack and Petty in 2016/2017.

Geno Smith is immature, lacks football "smarts", is not a leader, and is (on the field) one of the worst turnover prone QB's I've had the displeasure of watching play in recent years.  He will lose a material number of games all by himself with his mental and physical errors.  

I know I'm going to get killed for this but I think Macc actually believes Geno will have just as much chance for success as Fitz and maybe more with his youth and athleticism.

Youth and athleticism are the only two advantages Geno has over Fitz.  Well, and cost in 2016.

we'll know if you're right if we hear a report, soon, than Macc is no longer trying to resign Fitz.  Because if what you say is true, we no longer need or want to resign Fitz.

Word out of last years camp was that Geno was way ahead of Fitz.

Rumor at best.  And Fitz was still coming off an injury (faster than expected), whereas Geno was not.  I don't put much stock in camp rumor of "improvement", we hear it every camp with every QB.  Remember all the "Pennington's arm looks stronger than ever!" we heard, inevitably, every camp?

we'll have just as much success this year with Geno as we would with Fitz but we end up keeping Mo and fielding a real kick azz defense ourselves, top 3 in the league. 

If Macc sees things as you do, we'll know soon enough.  My own belief is Geno cannot win more than 6 games as a starter in 2016, and will do nothing good (and something bad) for the development of Hackenberg or Petty, the two who are the real future of this team at QB.

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You suit up two and then you have another who doesn't dress but is on the active roster. But the Jets actually carried 4 a few years ago on their active roster for several games. So to me Petty is the odd man out. The will probably IR him and find an injury. Or cut him and if unclaimed put him on the PS. 

The gameday roster is 45, yes.  But you still have to count those QB's on your 53-man roster even if they don't dress on gameday.  And there's little chance Petty would make it onto the practice squad.  Someone else would sign him away.  We're not cutting Petty in an attempt to save roster space after investing a 4th rounder in him with the full knowledge he'd be a project QB. 

Geno is a bust drafted by the previous regime.  He's the odd man out if we end up with 4 QB's. 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I guess my analogy went right over your head.  Just because  fitz hasn't been a great qb in this league doesn't mean he isn't a very smart  qb that would make him a better mentor to Hackenberg.  

Most of the great  qb coaches weren't great nfl qbs. 

Do you still not get it? 

Fitz went to harvard, we get it he's a very smart man but that hasn't translated on the football field.  He has turned it over at a very high level throughout his career and continualyl makes boneheaded decisions.  he was a good QB for us last year and hopefully will be this year but he's not a smart QB.

I hate geno but imo it's not worth saving 1 million to cut him. He's terrible but at least he has experience and that's good for a backup. If they sign Fitz it'll be interesting because he probably would get the cut but is it possible they carry 4 qbs? 

Archived