Jets never win when they're banged up

Jetster

Marshall with a bum knee, Decker with a shoulder, KC blows us out.

Rinse & repeat. 

Meanwhile we face backup QBs like TJ Yates & we lose. We play KC with both starting guards out & no Jamal Charles, blowout.

When Mangold goes down, the other teams feeds on our Oline like hyenas. Last year we lost every game that Bilal Powell couldn't suit up including the finale for the playoffs vs the Bills.

Injuries to opposing teams never seem to matter for the Jets. Half their guys out Jets still lose. Jets have 1 or 2 starters out, they get HAMMERED and the other team exposes those weaknesses. This has been an ongoing trait for the Jets. How many times do Jet fans joke about backups turning into Joe Montana when they play the Jets. 

I know a Seattle fan who's telling me he's scared sh*tless because their Oline has been terrible & the Jets have a great Dline. Do we? If ever there was an Oline this great Dline should exploit shouldn't it be this Sunday vs a bunch of bums traveling 3000 miles & playing a game when their usually eating breakfast?

This game is gonna tell you a lot about our defense, our DC, our defensive schemes & about the rest of this year. Wilson with a bad Knee & ankle, behind a horrible Oline, with a RB that's bounced around from Seattle to Dallas & back again. Seahawks shouldn't be able to score more than 13 points. Of course we'll struggle on offense to get past 9.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Rinse & repeat. 

Meanwhile we face backup QBs like TJ Yates & we lose. We play KC with both starting guards out & no Jamal Charles, blowout.

When Mangold goes down, the other teams feeds on our Oline like hyenas. Last year we lost every game that Bilal Powell couldn't suit up including the finale for the playoffs vs the Bills.

Injuries to opposing teams never seem to matter for the Jets. Half their guys out Jets still lose. Jets have 1 or 2 starters out, they get HAMMERED and the other team exposes those weaknesses. This has been an ongoing trait for the Jets. How many times do Jet fans joke about backups turning into Joe Montana when they play the Jets. 

I know a Seattle fan who's telling me he's scared sh*tless because their Oline has been terrible & the Jets have a great Dline. Do we? If ever there was an Oline this great Dline should exploit shouldn't it be this Sunday vs a bunch of bums traveling 3000 miles & playing a game when their usually eating breakfast?

This game is gonna tell you a lot about our defense, our DC, our defensive schemes & about the rest of this year. Wilson with a bad Knee & ankle, behind a horrible Oline, with a RB that's bounced around from Seattle to Dallas & back again. Seahawks shouldn't be able to score more than 13 points. Of course we'll struggle on offense to get past 9.

Your point that the Jets don't take advantage of injuries is ridiculous. Pats last year when we beat them weren't totally healthy.

Honestly, who cares?

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Rinse & repeat. 

Your friend needs not to be afraid. We have a great run stuffing defense. Christine Michael needs to be more concerned than any of Seattle's mobile QB's. I will say though, Darren Lee flashed in that Bills game spying on Tyrod. 

Generally speaking though, I don't expect a performance like what we seen week 1 because Wilson works well out of the pocket and he has two great targets to work with. We keep Seattle within 20 points and we have a shot.

19 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Rinse & repeat. 

I'm sad to say that this is true.   

19 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Rinse & repeat. 

Good observation, and this goes back to something we discussed last week which is the strange 'culture' on this team.  No matter the head coach, the Jets seem to suffer from:

1. Let downs after a bye or long week, we almost always lose.
2. Let downs after a big divisional win, we almost always come out flat and lose.
3. Regular season victory lap, we act like a Week 12 win over the Pats is our Super Bowl.
4. Defense runs out of gas late in games, can't make a big stop.
5. Offense starts the game in a funk, takes a quarter to find rhythm.
6. Your observation about our health (lose when banged up) and opponents health (we can't exploit).

I keep coming back to veteran leaders like David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Muhammad Wilkerson and the like who never seem to get fired up, never seem to get in other player's faces, continually let these things fester and repeat.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Good observation, and this goes back to something we discussed last week which is the strange 'culture' on this team.  No matter the head coach, the Jets seem to suffer from:

2. Let downs after a big divisional win, we almost always come out flat and lose.
3. Regular season victory lap, we act like a Week 12 win over the Pats is our Super Bowl.
6. Your observation about our health (lose when banged up) and opponents health (we can't exploit).

I keep coming back to veteran leaders like David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Muhammad Wilkerson and the like who never seem to get fired up, never seem to get in other player's faces, continually let these things fester and repeat.

SAR I

Exactly!!! 

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

We can speculate about the causes, and you may be right regarding those mentioned.  I might even add Mangold, one of my favorites, who I mostly give a pass on the leadership issue because he's solid shows up keeps the OL together, but yeah I can't say that he gets in people;s faces either. 

But whatever the cause(s), yeah, that's a sad but accurate list, year after year.

I still hope the Jets win this weekend.  But if they don't, I will join the Pessimism Parade big time.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Simple explanation for that. We keep signing essentially the same head coach:

Defensive Minded "flashing" Defensive Cooredinator

Very conservative

Wants game manager QB

Poor in game managers

Has a defensive system rather than adapting to personnel

Stubborn

Only real difference in Herm, Mangini, Rex and Bowles is personality,.

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Simple explanation for that. We keep signing essentially the same head coach:

Defensive Minded "flashing" Defensive Cooredinator

Very conservative

Wants game manager QB

Poor in game managers

Has a defensive system rather than adapting to personnel

Stubborn

Only real difference in Herm, Mangini, Rex and Bowles is personality,.

They all suck. We never seem to have a coach that can take advantage of other teams weaknesses.

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This is one of the biggest problems. We are without leaders who actually lead in the locker room and on the field. Bowles said as much in the offseason that he was looking for players to lead and take charge this year as opposed to year 1. Clearly, hasn't happened.

While Bowles has some flaws as all coaches do, I still think he's the right coach and will be here for a long time. We need some players with fire and brains though, someone to give this team some soul. 

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is one of the biggest problems. We are without leaders who actually lead in the locker room and on the field. Bowles said as much in the offseason that he was looking for players to lead and take charge this year as opposed to year 1. Clearly, hasn't happened.

While Bowles has some flaws as all coaches do, I still think he's the right coach and will be here for a long time. We need some players with fire and brains though, someone to give this team some soul. 

I agree with this 100% we need a guy with character who will get the team pumped and ready to play. Rex used to be good at keeping the players motivated but of course it is better if that role comes from a player and not their coach.

Some of this is off the top of my head, but I think @Jetster you're glossing over these wins vs. 2015 opponents with significant injuries:

Colts (Luck played but was a shell of his normal self due to injury, most of their secondary I think didn't dress unit the close of the 1st half, after which Vontae Davis also left). Jets win, and it's all Jets in the 2nd half with Davis out.

Redskins (missing both starting tackles, missing their only good WR weapon, missing their deadly TE, I think one starting CB was out and the other played but was a game time decision). Jets clobber them.

Cowboys (no Romo). Jets win a close one, but it is still a win. Bullock missed a couple of kicks as well.

NE game 2 (no Edelman, no Amendola, Vollmer missed most of the game, a scrub starter OT left in the 4th quarter, NB Coleman left in the 4th quarter, no Blount or D.Lewis, no Devin McCourty, no Patrick Chung, and I think Hightower was active but injured enough to be a late start). We won in OT with Belichick declining the football.

So that's 4 games we faced teams with notable injuries and we came away with the win. Incidentally with the two most significant injury matchups being wins against "winning" opponents (Washington, NE #2), it also sheds even more light on the Jets' 2015 cupcake schedule. We were a paper tiger. 

But saying we didn't take advantage of opponents' injuries all year long is false.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Some of this is off the top of my head, but I think @Jetster you're glossing over these wins vs. 2015 opponents with significant injuries:

Colts (Luck played but was a shell of his normal self due to injury, most of their secondary I think didn't dress unit the close of the 1st half, after which Vontae Davis also left). Jets win, and it's all Jets in the 2nd half with Davis out.

Redskins (missing both starting tackles, missing their only good WR weapon, missing their deadly TE, I think one starting CB was out and the other played but was a game time decision). Jets clobber them.

Cowboys (no Romo). Jets win a close one, but it is still a win. Bullock missed a couple of kicks as well.

NE game 2 (no Edelman, no Amendola, Vollmer missed most of the game, a scrub starter OT left in the 4th quarter, NB Coleman left in the 4th quarter, no Blount or D.Lewis, no Devin McCourty, no Patrick Chung, and I think Hightower was active but injured enough to be a late start). We won in OT with Belichick declining the football.

So that's 4 games we faced teams with notable injuries and we came away with the win. Incidentally with the two most significant injury matchups being wins against "winning" opponents (Washington, NE #2), it also sheds even more light on the Jets' 2015 cupcake schedule. We were a paper tiger. 

But saying we didn't take advantage of opponents' injuries all year long is false.

It's what I was saying.  Most times a team with major injuries loses.  Makes sense. Not always but usually.  We don't remember winning when players are sitting out, like NE last season, but we sure remember the games where we don't win and a team is missing a player.

Also, pretty much every week teams are playing without someone, injuries are part of the game.  

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Colts SUCKED last year, injuries or not. Same with Washington early in the season, they turned it on in the 2nd half, the Cowboys were getting their doors blown off by most teams & we were in a nail biter.

First, you mentioned teams that were DECIMATED with injuries. I'm talking about games vs teams that your fighting for playoff spots ala Houston last year with TJ Yates at QB. Buffalo missing McCoy. Cincy missing Burfict & Eifert, KC missing Charles & their 2 starting Guards.

Of course they have won a game here & there, my point is that when the Jets are suffering with just a couple of guys out no one ever steps up. Like I said, when Mangold goes down the Jets get whipped! Bilal Powell, our 2nd running back is out & we lose every game. Marshall & Decker were obviously hurting on Sunday, total sh*tshow ensues. One thing you can't call the Jets in a LONG TIME is resilient.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Colts SUCKED last year, injuries or not. Same with Washington early in the season, they turned it on in the 2nd half, the Cowboys were getting their doors blown off by most teams & we were in a nail biter.

First, you mentioned teams that were DECIMATED with injuries. I'm talking about games vs teams that your fighting for playoff spots ala Houston last year with TJ Yates at QB. Buffalo missing McCoy. Cincy missing Burfict & Eifert, KC missing Charles & their 2 starting Guards.

Of course they have won a game here & there, my point is that when the Jets are suffering with just a couple of guys out no one ever steps up. Like I said, when Mangold goes down the Jets get whipped! Bilal Powell, our 2nd running back is out & we lose every game. Marshall & Decker were obviously hurting on Sunday, total sh*tshow ensues. One thing you can't call the Jets in a LONG TIME is resilient.

dude.  this is the NFL. teams are missing players every ******* week. 

I would call a 5 game win streak with your season on the line every damn week where you start slow and have to play well in the 2nd half with the pressure on the definition of resilient.

wes johnson stepped up in the bills game

boo hoo dude

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Normal injuries.  Houston hardly was a different team with Hoyer over Mallet.  Bills had a group of really effective RBs.  Then the Colts, Skins and Cowboy you throw out, those games that don't fit the argument are eliminated?  Ok. We didn't lose every game Bilal was out.  But you remember the Bills game.  Actually use it for both sides of the argument.  Bilal was hurt, Ivory was hurt and we lost while at the same time McCoy was hurt and we lost.  Maybe we didn't get the advantage with McCoy because our backs were hurt? 

We remember what we want to remember.  SOJF worries never go away either.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the seahawks' QB is banged up and their OL is awful. They are going across country for a 1p start. Vegas has the Jets as 3.5 point dogs when it opened but only 2.5 points now. 

This is a very winnable game. 

Such an important game. 2 and 2 and shake off the warts. 2/3 of the way through the tough first 6.

Let's go Jets!

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the seahawks' QB is banged up and their OL is awful. They are going across country for a 1p start. Vegas has the Jets as 3.5 point dogs when it opened but only 2.5 points now. 

Can't count on anything with this QB.  Plays like week two and we win in a cake walk.

Plays like game one and we probably get smacked, game three were get destroyed.

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

I have no delusions about last year. Point still stands that we won games when the opponent had injuries. That doesn't mean they won all of them, since they didn't, but they certainly didn't lose all of them either. 

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Seahawks are 7-2 going east to play a 1pm game with Russell Wilson 

I want them to win, I just have no faith in them anymore when they play playoff type teams. This would be a huge win to get to 2-2. I want to see this defense step up & make a limping Russell Wilson wish he'd taken the week off.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 2:55 PM, Jetster said:

Rinse & repeat. 

Great post. Amazing how we are the cure for all ills year in and year out.

5 hours ago, fusionCA said:

the Seahawks are 7-2 going east to play a 1pm game with Russell Wilson 

When Russell Wilson is healthy and mobile he escapes pressure with his legs. But this week he's hurt. They weren't completely sure he'd play, he's going to possibly be braced up and the Hawks' line is seriously awful. This is one game where the Jets DL can feast and take it over completely. 

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

When Russell Wilson is healthy and mobile he escapes pressure with his legs. But this week he's hurt. They weren't completely sure he'd play, he's going to possibly be braced up and the Hawks' line is seriously awful. This is one game where the Jets DL can feast and take it over completely. 

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

With all of the draft picks used on this Dline, and the money they just paid Mo Wilkerson, this is a perfect test study on if the Jets are building this team in the proper manner. Like you've said, "Jets line can feast".

Ive heard nothing but terrible things about this Seattle Oline. From the media, from Seahawks fans, so let's see how much pressure they apply this Sunday. Personally I believe the Dline is overkill & trading Sheldon this offseason for draft picks would be the smart thing to do. Of course we need takers for Richardson, but there are a lot of teams with horrible Dlines, Falcons, Saints, Chargers, Bears, Browns, Titans, Houston? (Watts a huge ? Now), Colts, Jags, Skins, Cowboys. Freaking tons of teams in this league need good Dlineman. 

Lets hope Sheldon tears it up so we can sell high.

Archived