"Todd Bowles opens possibility for Geno Smith to start for Jets" - Cimini

A Jet from Oz

Maybe Bowles has been reading the message board?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17828168/todd-bowles-new-york-jets-coach-opens-door-sitting-quarterback-ryan-fitzpatrick

One day after giving a vote of confidence to embattled quarterback Ryan FitzpatrickNew York Jets coach Todd Bowles backtracked on his commitment, hinting Tuesday he could turn to Geno Smith this weekend.

Bowles also expanded the quarterback controversy to four players, saying it's "definitely possible" that Bryce Petty and/or Christian Hackenberg could play before the end of the season.

The coach backed Fitzpatrick after Monday night's 28-3 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, saying, "Fitz will be back next week. ... Fitz is our starter."

Some 18 hours later, Bowles was waffling, which is out of character for him.

"First of all, after the game, it's always going to be status quo because I'm never going to tell the media anything before I meet with my coaches and my GM and the rest of the staff, so everything is status quo until we have our meeting [Tuesday night]," Bowles said.

Fitzpatrick leads the NFL with 11 interceptions and has led the offense to only three touchdowns during the Jets' current four-game losing streak.

Bowles conceded he "revisited" the matter after his postgame news conference. He pulled Fitzpatrick midway through the fourth quarter of the blowout, inserting Smith, whose only series ended with an interception.

"He did show some promise when he was in there," Bowles said of Smith. "He understood the game plan and he did good for that drive he was in there."

Asked directly if Smith could start Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens (3-3), Bowles said, "We have to talk about more than that. There's a possibility every week there will be some changes made, player-wise."

Bowles didn't sound pleased that Smith told ESPN sideline reporter Lisa Salters before the game that he was "getting antsy" to play.

"I don't have any thoughts on backup players saying anything," Bowles said. "They're backups for a reason. If they get a chance to play, they better prove themselves to be worthy of playing regardless of who that person is."

Smith also attracted attention on the sideline by throwing his baseball cap and tossing a cup of ice on the field moments after Fitzpatrick was intercepted at the end of the third quarter. Clearly frustrated, Smith paced the sideline, waiting for his shot, which came shortly after that.

"I don't think anything of it," Bowles said of Smith's sideline behavior.

The Jets are 1-5. Since 1970, only two teams have rallied from a 1-5 start to make the postseason. With no quarterback of the future, the Jets are open to auditioning Petty and Hackenberg.

"It's possible," Bowles said. "We've still got some stages to go before we get to that point, but it's definitely possible."

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol the dummy proclaims fitz the starter against the ravens after last nights game, now somebody of some intelligence must have had a talk with him. Everybody's jobs should be on the line with the way they've been playing.

6 minutes ago, BP said:

Lol the dummy proclaims fitz the starter against the ravens after last nights game, now somebody of some intelligence must have had a talk with him. Everybody's jobs should be on the line with the way they've been playing.

Woody and Neil Glat held a focus group. Fans can vote online who starts against the Ravens.

Fitz isn't playing well that is for sure and I have ripped him in other threads mercilessly but anyone who thinks Fitz is the only thing wrong with this team is insane.

A top ten defense of last year is in the bottom third of the league this year with essentially the same personnel!!

Is that Fitz?

No!!

That is on coaching and specifically DC Rogers first and foremost and Bowles second.  Are they claiming they miss Cromartie???

Come on now!!

Bowles and Rogers don't get to blame the poor execution on defense on Fitz.

But with the way Fitz played of course he has to be on the hot seat but also of the big PAID guns on the defense should be on the hot seat as well.

IMO you are 1-5; everybody is on the hot seat!!

Fitz sits, that the easy part. Fixing the Jets now that is the real deal there...

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Fitz isn't playing well that is for sure and I have ripped him in other threads mercilessly but anyone who thinks Fitz is the only thing wrong with this team is insane.

A top ten defense of last year is in the bottom third of the league this year with essentially the same personnel!!

Is that Fitz?

No!!

That is on coaching and specifically DC Rogers first and foremost and Bowles second.  Are they claiming they miss Cromartie???

Come on now!!

Bowles and Rogers don't get to blame the poor execution on defense on Fitz.

But with the way Fitz played of course he has to be on the hot seat but also of the big PAID guns on the defense should be on the hot seat as well.

IMO you are 1-5; everybody is on the hot seat!!

Fitz sits, that the easy part. Fixing the Jets now that is the real deal there...

But it is almost entirely Fitz even in part the defense. Offense and defense do not exist in a vacuum, they are complimentary. With a QB as awful as Fitz, there is more pressure on the defense and the defense also is more likely to tire late. Defenses playing with a lead are more effective. Defenses are better with less series to play. So if Fitzloser could actually play halfway decent, the defense would have a much better opportunity to succeed as well. We have other problems but Fitz is by far the worst.

Look they are 1-5 and look horrible.   QB change makes sense to me.   Geno had the job before he was knocked out (broken jaw) by sucker punch from teammate .   Fitz played well and Geno rode the pine...but now the team is 1-5 and Fitz looks like sh*t.  If not now then when?    

More telling is the weird, "I will not disclose why we keep 4 QBs until the time is right."

This can only mean that they believe that Petty is the rightful backup/ this season's heir apparent and he's just not healthy yet. If it doesn't mean that then maybe this leadership is more lost than I ever could have imagined. 

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

But it is almost entirely Fitz even in part the defense. Offense and defense do not exist in a vacuum, they are complimentary. With a QB as awful as Fitz, there is more pressure on the defense and the defense also is more likely to tire late. Defenses playing with a lead are more effective. Defenses are better with less series to play. So if Fitzloser could actually play halfway decent, the defense would have a much better opportunity to succeed as well. We have other problems but Fitz is by far the worst.

You are right...

IMO there is no question that Fitz' play is dragging down the entire team.

No question about it...

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

More telling is the weird, "I will not disclose why we keep 4 QBs until the time is right."

This can only mean that they believe that Petty is the rightful backup/ this season's heir apparent and he's just not healthy yet. If it doesn't mean that then maybe this leadership is more lost than I ever could have imagined. 

he said it's a secret, but there's a very good reason why lol

QB change sends a message to the team...everybody gotta step their game up.  Give O Line a few days to rally around the change and hopefully clean some things up and who knows.   Baltimore can be thrown on.   Geno has some chemistry with 2nd team preseason guys Peake, Anderson, Marshall...also has Brandon Marshall and Enunwa, so he has weapons.  Never know.  Id say its more likely they beat Baltimore that way than with Fitz......he just looks flat bad.  

39 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

QB change sends a message to the team...everybody gotta step their game up.  Give O Line a few days to rally around the change and hopefully clean some things up and who knows.   Baltimore can be thrown on.   Geno has some chemistry with 2nd team preseason guys Peake, Anderson, Marshall...also has Brandon Marshall and Enunwa, so he has weapons.  Never know.  Id say its more likely they beat Baltimore that way than with Fitz......he just looks flat bad.  

Geno doesn't have chemistry with anyone...his teammate broke his jaw last year and nobody really seemed to care.  

Geno was showing up the entire coaching staff with his antics on Monday night.  I don't see how the Jets can reward that kind of behavior.   When Petty is named the starter, I am pretty sure that Geno is going to be released and Hack moves to #3.   No reason to keep a malcontent with a few games remaining on his contract on the roster.  

Good. This is all that we've been asking for. You don't waste 12 million and give a season to a journeyman. Geno was the vet, if he didn't work out then pass it to Petty/Hack. We wasted almost half the season on a guy who has an established career doing exactly what he just did. Got paid and stunk up the joint. You don't do that when you have 3 QB's on rookie contracts.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Good. This is all that we've been asking for. You don't waste 12 million and give a season to a journeyman. Geno was the vet, if he didn't work out then pass it to Petty/Hack. We wasted almost half the season on a guy who has an established career doing exactly what he just did. Got paid and stunk up the joint. You don't do that when you have 3 QB's on rookie contracts.

Just imagine for a moment you're a coach or a GM and you're going into a season with two guys who have never taken an NFL snap in a real game and the worst QB statistically for two years. What does that say to your fan base? What does that say to the rest of the NFL? It just was never going to happen. The majority of this fan base wants nothing to do with your guy. And when he's no longer a Jet, he's going to find out not many other teams want anything to do with him either. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

You are right...

IMO there is no question that Fitz' play is dragging down the entire team.

No question about it...

Fitztragic's play is dragging down the entire fan base. I have little to no confidence in geno but I cannot stomach watching fitz anymore. I'm done. If he's starting on Sunday I'm finding something else to do. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Just imagine for a moment you're a coach or a GM and you're going into a season with two guys who have never taken an NFL snap in a real game and the worst QB statistically for two years. What does that say to your fan base? What does that say to the rest of the NFL? It just was never going to happen. The majority of this fan base wants nothing to do with your guy. And when he's no longer a Jet, he's going to find out not many other teams want anything to do with him either. 

I've imagined it, and I was right. The sh*t didn't work. 

Teams throw rookies out there day one and you're nervous because you have a rookie and 2 other QB's who've been in the system for a full year. 

Grow some balls or don't imagine yourself in that seat. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Teams throw rookies out there day one and you're nervous because you have a rookie and 2 other QB's who've been in the system for a full year. 

The team picks the QB, not the coaches. We would most likely be asking where Fitz is and saying that only the Jets could get rid of a QB who just went 10-6. I know it's weird - but the Jets are actually making the right calls here.

1 hour ago, BP said:

I posted last night that there was no way he'd proclaim Geno the starter in the press conference.  Coaches never do that in the post game.  

I'm not giving him any credit as he waited WAY too long to pull fitz.  But I have no issue with him waiting until he watches the film and speaks to his coaching staff.  Plus at 1-5 he needs to start  consulting with the gm on the path of this team. 

Fitz should be cut.

Grow some balls? Boy, don't even start with that BS. You come around puffing out your chest because the Jets are bad and you were right. Congrats. Unfortunately for you, there are guys who are paid a lot of money who look at the bigger picture. What team coming off a 10-6 season came out with a rookie QB to start their season the next year on purpose? None. Starting a season with the three QBs they had on the roster prior to Fitz coming back would be like waving a white flag. That results in down attendance, down concessions, and a fan base down on the team. It was never going to happen because nobody wanted Geno as a starter and they still don't. 

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Grow some balls? Boy, don't even start with that BS. You come around puffing out your chest because the Jets are bad and you were right. Congrats. Unfortunately for you, there are guys who are paid a lot of money who look at the bigger picture. What team coming off a 10-6 season came out with a rookie QB to start their season the next year on purpose? None. Starting a season with the three QBs they had on the roster prior to Fitz coming back would be like waving a white flag. That results in down attendance, down concessions, and a fan base down on the team. It was never going to happen because nobody wanted Geno as a starter and they still don't. 

Ay, I've already addressed that statement. Don't misconstrue like my "Max 6 wins" statement in order to confuse sh*t. I'm enjoying this Fitz washout specifically. You're doing a poor job at trying to pretend that you don't know the difference. 

28 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Geno doesn't have chemistry with anyone...his teammate broke his jaw last year and nobody really seemed to care.  

Geno was showing up the entire coaching staff with his antics on Monday night.  I don't see how the Jets can reward that kind of behavior.   When Petty is named the starter, I am pretty sure that Geno is going to be released and Hack moves to #3.   No reason to keep a malcontent with a few games remaining on his contract on the roster.  

So what's more important having  team harmony or winning football games. If I was Geno and forced to sit behind Fitz I'd be pretty pissed off too. Its one thing to sit behind a superior that's winning its another to sit behind an inferior talent that's losing. And If I was a coach I'd want guys who want to play and win especially after watching my team play without emotion for like three straight weeks.

1 hour ago, BP said:

Especially HIS!

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

tumblr_m729vwbpta1qardsjo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

That was me pulling out all of the knives that I was stabbed in the back with last November when i told you guys about this Fitz character. Guys fell for the magic though. 

He's like the woman with a face full of makeup in a dark club. Lol. 

Now pardon me and let me continue removing those knives

That was me pulling out all of the knives that I was stabbed in the back with last November when i told you guys about this Fitz character. Guys fell for the magic though. 

It's like a woman with a face full of makeup in a dark club. Lol. 

Now pardon me and let me continue removing those knives

i9if4.jpg

pat.gif

Archived